Flying with Golf Clubs

GolfSpy_KFT

If you happen to be a member of a club @GolfSpy_KFT, ask the guys in the pro shop about shipping bags. I don’t travel often anymore but my head pro packages mine, FedEx/UPS picks it up from the pro shop a day or two before my flight and it’s waiting at my hotel when I arrive at my destination. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

If you happen to be a member of a club @GolfSpy_KFT, ask the guys in the pro shop about shipping bags. I don’t travel often anymore but my head pro packages mine, FedEx/UPS picks it up from the pro shop a day or two before my flight and it’s waiting at my hotel when I arrive at my destination. 

I am a member at our local course, but it isn't private. So if I had to guess, that may not be an option. This is a pretty solid idea, though!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

I like Southwest as it's 2 free checked bags including the oversized golf clubs. I have the pole extension in the bag, plus I remove the driver head cover and store it safely, everything has worked out great. Free checked bag is great. Then you can throw in your golf shoes, plus some other stuff you don't want to carry on, etc. I typically bring my clubs whenever I fly somewhere to try out new courses. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

I've travel all over the world mostly with my trusty Titleist travel bag and never had any issue. I like the tip of unscrewing your driver head and putting in the bag. I normally wrap the woods/hybrids in a towel and secure them with the rain cover.

Can't really comment on US airlines the only time I took my clubs to the states was with BA to San Diego and had no problems.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I've flown with both SWA and AA.  I preferred AA's handling of my bags, but in both cases, TSA at DFW fudged around in my bags and moved the padding I'd carefully arranged almost intentionally to leave my clubs unprotected.  I know it was TSA because they left their little note of a pre-flight search in the bag in the same area, and my TSA-approved lock was locked back up.  When I came back the last time from Arizona (PHX), TSA not only didn't search my golf bag, but my padding was properly left in place.

1 hour ago, ctg44 said:

I've flown with both SWA and AA.  I preferred AA's handling of my bags, but in both cases, TSA at DFW fudged around in my bags and moved the padding I'd carefully arranged almost intentionally to leave my clubs unprotected.  I know it was TSA because they left their little note of a pre-flight search in the bag in the same area, and my TSA-approved lock was locked back up.  When I came back the last time from Arizona (PHX), TSA not only didn't search my golf bag, but my padding was properly left in place.

I am definitely hoping they don't search the bag, as I'll be doing the same thing in carefully setting up how it is packed to prevent as much inside movement as possible. Need to figure out which pockets I am going to put all the heads in, but know my GT3 head will be going in the central most cooler pocket in my bag. May also put the GT2 3 &  5 wood heads in there (inside their headcovers) if they fit. The Ghost AWOL travel bag I'm using has extra padding inside the bag to go around the clubheads, and then I am going to pack towels between the irons and woods shafts to prevent too much clanking around.

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

#LeftyGang

I'll be honest, the only time my son or I have ever flown with golf clubs (and he flew multiple times per summer during JHS and HS to go see my parents in IL) that TSA didn't do a hand search of the golf bag was that last trip back from PHX to DFW, so you'll want to plan for the bag to be searched.  I've started using little bubble wrap pouches for the heads w/ rubber bands over them to keep them secure, and layering my golf towels around them to keep them supported (in case something does land on the end of the bag).  I did also remove the driver and 3W heads and put them inside the ball pockets in their headcover.  Now that I have the AiSmoke TD and GT2 heads, I'd probably be even more OCD about protecting them...

However, even with all that, being so careful up front, even with cheap Amazon Basics golf travel bags (which are surprisingly good whatever the price), I've never had a club damaged or lost anything from my golf bag when flying, and that's from DAL or DFW, which are both very busy airports.  DAL (Love Field), the home of Southwest, is notorious for losing one's bags, especially sporting equipment, so I feel like being prepared has helped ensure my gear (whether golf or hockey) gets where it needs to go in the proper condition.

52 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I'll be honest, the only time my son or I have ever flown with golf clubs (and he flew multiple times per summer during JHS and HS to go see my parents in IL) that TSA didn't do a hand search of the golf bag was that last trip back from PHX to DFW, so you'll want to plan for the bag to be searched.  I've started using little bubble wrap pouches for the heads w/ rubber bands over them to keep them secure, and layering my golf towels around them to keep them supported (in case something does land on the end of the bag).  I did also remove the driver and 3W heads and put them inside the ball pockets in their headcover.  Now that I have the AiSmoke TD and GT2 heads, I'd probably be even more OCD about protecting them...

However, even with all that, being so careful up front, even with cheap Amazon Basics golf travel bags (which are surprisingly good whatever the price), I've never had a club damaged or lost anything from my golf bag when flying, and that's from DAL or DFW, which are both very busy airports.  DAL (Love Field), the home of Southwest, is notorious for losing one's bags, especially sporting equipment, so I feel like being prepared has helped ensure my gear (whether golf or hockey) gets where it needs to go in the proper condition.

That is all good information to know, thank you! I have lots of excess bubble wrap, so may take that step too 

#LeftyGang

18 hours ago, ctg44 said:

TSA at DFW fudged around in my bags and moved the padding I'd carefully arranged almost intentionally to leave my clubs unprotected. 

Sheesh. And one of the reasons I feel more comfortable packing my gear in a hard sided case. 

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Sheesh. And one of the reasons I feel more comfortable packing my gear in a hard sided case. 

I will probably suck it up and spend the money on hard cases for our next trips for that very reason.  Just can't trust TSA to not be terrible.

One issue I’ve had with a hard case is they can be a hassle getting into a rental car.  Might be an issue if traveling with a group for family.

And I have had a hard case damaged.  Eventually it got so banged up I had to replace it.

but I’ve only flown with hard cases

Most airlines have a credit card that gives you miles and one free bag for you and everyone in your party.

Driver: Paradym AI smoke TD 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 

Woods: 3W Paradym AI smoke Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 

Hybrids: 2H QI-10 pro PROFORCE V2 Hybrid HL

3H P-UDI recoil dart 95 stiff 

Irons: P790 4-9 recoil dart 95 stiff

P770 PW AW .5*strong  recoil dart 95 stiff

Wedges: MG4 TW 56* recoil dart 95 stiff soft step

Putter: Newport 2

Ball: Pro V1 

On 10/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, Purdyd said:

One issue I’ve had with a hard case is they can be a hassle getting into a rental car.  Might be an issue if traveling with a group for family.

Yeah that's def a problem that has to be taken into account at your destination. Traveling solo you can fold down a seat inside but in a group you're prob gonna need an SUV or maybe minivan anyhow.

Also thinking now if a hard case gets banged up so hard it gets damaged, then what happens to clubs and shafts inside soft travel cases... 🤔

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

I have flown a number of times with my clubs, including multiple times to Hawaii. I had used a hard case in the beginning but switched to a Club Glove Burstproof II with no issues (knock on wood). I do take precautions such as removing adjustable heads, putting the shafts butt end up, usee a stiff arm, wrapping all the clubs in a towel or two, plus putting an air tag in the bag. As I pack my shoes using the interior pockets, I will also use a towel on each side of the bag as an extra measure. Either way enjoy your trip.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)