MyGolfSpy's 2013 ULTIMATE Driver Test

A question I have now that's its been a bit since results were published. Have any of the testers purchased their "best" for them driver and have they remained in play?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question I have now that's its been a bit since results were published. Have any of the testers purchased their "best" for them driver and have they remained in play?

When I was fitted(prior to the testing), I went with the R1. My dispersion was best with the 913D2 and pro force V2 shaft combo. Averaged around 289 with that on the monitor. I averaged about 307 with the R1 phenom TP setup. Even though they told me the simulator is accurate within 3 yards I knew better. My yardage is prob closer to 270-275 on the course but I'm fine with that. I have been hitting driver well this year. I went with the R1 because of the distance but have actually been playing the Black Ops Pearl shaft in it. Tim from USPG was nice enough to ship me one and I love it! Feels more stable than the Phenom and yardage is similar. I can go after it a little harder with the Pearl as well and keep it in play. I really like the R1 and plan to keep it in the bag. I may experiment with an older club and have my brother sera coat it. He is a gun man and does that kind of stuff. Wanna try it out on a different club before I hit the R1 with it. I prefer black on the crown if I can get it there without hurting the club.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

In most cases the results were not so absolutely cut and dry that I could definitively say "YES - this is most definitely the best driver for you". It really came down to where you place the premium...is it distance, accuracy, total driving, or even the nebulous consistency, which we have numbers for, but didn't include in our results (at least we haven't published that info yet.

Running down the list...

• Brian played the PING Anser going into the test. He continues to play it today, although he was very interested in the Titleist 913.
  • Blake could have made a serious argument for the AFO, RBZ Stage 2, and the Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme. He chose the Xtreme and is hitting it very well. He's going back and forth between the 7m3 and a Talamonti LS shaft he picked up.
  • Joe chose the PING G25, which by my estimation was not anywhere near the ideal choice of him (I had it ranked 6th for him). I think he left some distance on the table, but he's cashing nearly every round so...
  • Lou was the one absolute "THIS IS THE DRIVER FOR YOU" in the field. He killed the XHot. He bagged it, and is consistently 20 yards farther than he was last year, and is seldom far from the fairway.
  • Mark settled on the Mizuno JPX-825 (after debating taking the Wishon 919THI). I haven't checked in with him lately.
  • Tony (me) Although it didn't give me the best numbers during the test I'm playing with the AMP Cell Pro right now, and experimenting with shafts (with solid results so far). The Stage 2 stood out for me, and I think there's probably some more accuracy to be gained. I may try a couple different shafts in that as well. The other curiosities for me (Nike Covert, Cleveland Classic XL, Wilson D100, and RAZR Fit) probably won't find their way to the course.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

In most cases the results were not so absolutely cut and dry that I could definitively say "YES - this is most definitely the best driver for you". It really came down to where you place the premium...is it distance, accuracy, total driving, or even the nebulous consistency, which we have numbers for, but didn't include in our results (at least we haven't published that info yet.

Running down the list...

• Brian played the PING Anser going into the test. He continues to play it today, although he was very interested in the Titleist 913.
  • Blake could have made a serious argument for the AFO, RBZ Stage 2, and the Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme. He chose the Xtreme and is hitting it very well. He's going back and forth between the 7m3 and a Talamonti LS shaft he picked up.
  • Joe chose the PING G25, which by my estimation was not anywhere near the ideal choice of him (I had it ranked 6th for him). I think he left some distance on the table, but he's cashing nearly every round so...
  • Lou was the one absolute "THIS IS THE DRIVER FOR YOU" in the field. He killed the XHot. He bagged it, and is consistently 20 yards farther than he was last year, and is seldom far from the fairway.
  • Mark settled on the Mizuno JPX-825 (after debating taking the Wishon 919THI). I haven't checked in with him lately.
  • Tony (me) Although it didn't give me the best numbers during the test I'm playing with the AMP Cell Pro right now, and experimenting with shafts (with solid results so far). The Stage 2 stood out for me, and I think there's probably some more accuracy to be gained. I may try a couple different shafts in that as well. The other curiosities for me (Nike Covert, Cleveland Classic XL, Wilson D100, and RAZR Fit) probably won't find their way to the course.

Thanks, I was just curious as to how many switched from the results of this test. The ones that did switch, did you notice any favoring distance over accuracy, or did they go with new clubs based on which of the two were their weak points?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Thanks, I was just curious as to how many switched from the results of this test. The ones that did switch, did you notice any favoring distance over accuracy, or did they go with new clubs based on which of the two were their weak points?

Different for everybody. Brian is relatively young and hits it 300+, so he focused more on accuracy. Blake definitely favored distance. Joe basically tossed out the numbers and chose the driver he liked the feel of. Lou is 70 years old and usually doesn't hit it far enough to miss the fairway so he focused mostly on distance. Mark found a good balance with the Mizuno. I'm notoriously erratic with a driver, but even though I was most accurate with the Titleist, I'd never be happy knowing that best shot to best shot there are 20 yards left on the table. The RBZ 2 got me very similar (if not better accuracy) with less left on the table (and the feeling like a shaft change could get me even with the the longest in the bunch). The Cobra I love the feel of, and with the right setting I'm not giving up much of anything for distance.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter