Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Nike Covert Tour Driver Review

sai-jin

Looks:

Wow... I fell in love with the red and black on this driver. It actually looks really high quality, modern

and just sharp.

The head looks a little smaller and rounded compared to what I'm used to. (I do TMAG)

Plus the concave at the back of the head is much bigger than you think. Looks cool though.

Performance:

I had this head with the real Matrix Black Tie 7m3, 72 grams S-Flex.

The first time I hit this thing, I hit it much straighter and more powerful than the stock R1 and RBZ stage 2.

Ball flight is penetrating, mini push with a draw and I averaged about 288yards. I think it's got a lot to do with the after market shaft that it's in though, I didn't have any of the Nike stock shafts to compare.

I'm not a very good shape shooter. I mainly try to kill the ball kind of golfer and strive for a draw most times. That being said, I think that the Black Tie 7M3 makes a great companion to this head because I can hit my draws pretty well.

=========================

Update: I finally got the retail version of this driver with the Kurokage Silver, so here it goes:

Feel: Because of the shaft and the muted head, you will feel more of a "thud" than a tinny smooth feel. And this is something that I sometimes associate with

a dead face driver. Not as bad , but still reminds me of it. So this could be a turn off to some of you.

Forgiveness: I hit balls off the toe and heel as much as I can to test this and I lose perhaps 5yds maybe 10yds tops, while keeping the ball in play still.

So comparing to my other drivers, this is a nice surprise.

Dispersion: With the combo of the face forgiveness and the Kurokage shaft, to me it feels as if the club is mainly made to keep the ball as straight as possible.

left and right shots are kept to a reasonable minimum and I have not see a banana ball yet, unless I really slice it.

Distance: Ok... all I can say is that the distance on this driver is GREAT. It's VERY long. And even miss hits are still very long.

Address: I have always liked smaller head clubs. With a rounder shape and 430CC, plus the red crown and black face, it's very very pleasant to look at.

Conclusion:

I've always been a TMAG guy, but this year this will be my only non TMAG driver. I have kept it in my bag for rounds and before I knew it, it has somewhat become

my go to driver.

Wonderful to look at, design and color all compliments each other.

Performs great!

The only thing that may turn people off is the feel on impact.

Also feel on miss hits blurs the feel on sweet spot impact.

So if you can ignore the above, I highly highly recommend it to you.

PS: the headcover is cheap and flimsy =)

I like to sound of the Tour head compared to my VR_S which sounds like a little baseball bat when i hit it

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I actually played the regular model too and I have a review I'll post here later.

The tour model's feel does need to get used to and I think most of it is the head, but perhaps 1/3 of it is the shaft as well.

Unfortunately this is the only Nike driver I own and I forgot to try the regular model on this shaft before I pass it to the next demo guy.

I prefer the tour model because of the head on address and besides, after a couple of holes hitting good shots and bad shots being not so bad,

I'm rather addicted to it =)

I like to sound of the Tour head compared to my VR_S which sounds like a little baseball bat when i hit it

Did your VRS have the project X blue shaft in it or is it a different one? I tested the VRS a long time ago that has the PX blue

and as far as I remember the face does feel decently smooth compared to the Covert Tour.

While watching Tiger today I wondered if the looks of this new driver have anything to do with him not playing it? I know he is playing the Covert 5 wood now, but since he plays the orange GD DI shaft in his driver, I wonder if the looks (red head + orange shaft) are just too much to handle? I understand performance would be priority number 1, but all things equal I could see why he didn't move to the Covert.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Did your VRS have the project X blue shaft in it or is it a different one? I tested the VRS a long time ago that has the PX blue

and as far as I remember the face does feel decently smooth compared to the Covert Tour.

No i had mine reshafted with a swing science 70gram shaft because the stock shaft was causing awful slices even when id nail it dead center

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think he is just giving it some time. He is probably hesitant after seeing Rory's switch and will wait for his 5FW to settle down before changing another club.

Tiger wants to win, if switching to a red/orange stick guarantees that, I'm sure he will eventually.

Are there any numbers of him hitting the Covert?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I think he is just giving it some time. He is probably hesitant after seeing Rory's switch and will wait for his 5FW to settle down before changing another club.

Tiger wants to win, if switching to a red/orange stick guarantees that, I'm sure he will eventually.

Are there any numbers of him hitting the Covert?

Plus I'm sure if he had a visual problem that big Nike could find a way to get the color scheme to match for him

No i had mine reshafted with a swing science 70gram shaft because the stock shaft was causing awful slices even when id nail it dead center

Mr. Theoo,

just curious if you were fitted for any drivers/shafts as 230cpm is pretty weak in the regular flex area. When I read your comment about hitting dead center but slicing the ball. Without seeing your swing it may be more swing path then shaft ***** but when I see 230 CPM unless your over 55 years of age or only have a swing speed of 75-80mph you may need a little stiffer shaft to help with ball flight and spin. Just a suggestion.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Speaking of Tiger and Rory, I have been wondering why they opted for the regular rather than the Tour version.

I wonder if they want something more forgiving so that they can smash their drives more.

Regular or Tour version of what the Covert? Tiger's not playing Covert Driver. But both players are playing the Tour versions of the two different models.

Rory : Nike VR_S Covert Tour

Loft: 9.5 Degrees (Set to 10.5 Degrees)

Setting: Neutral

Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Prototype 70X

Tiger: Nike VR Tour (8.5 degree; Graphite Design DI 6X shaft)

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Mr. Theoo,

just curious if you were fitted for any drivers/shafts as 230cpm is pretty weak in the regular flex area. When I read your comment about hitting dead center but slicing the ball. Without seeing your swing it may be more swing path then shaft ***** but when I see 230 CPM unless your over 55 years of age or only have a swing speed of 75-80mph you may need a little stiffer shaft to help with ball flight and spin. Just a suggestion.

Tim

I was fitted into that shaft for my old VR_S which i did have a few swing issues that ive worked on this winter. The 230 CPM did help with the slice but i think that may have been the extra weight in the shaft cause its a 70 gram shaft. When I went for my recent fitting I did end going to a S flex because I had picked up some club speed. Also a lighter shaft

You know, the more I use this driver, the more I like it. I think the 430 CC head and the Kurokage shaft is just a good combo. Slightly easier to hit than my DIamana X shaft with R11s head.

Also I think the sweet spot is in dead center, not slightly above the center as people suggest for modern drivers. The center sounds much tingier than everywhere else on the face.

Hmmm... maybe I should change the R11s to RBZ tour and see if it performs better... hmmm... (thinking)

I am still pretty happy with my performance Covert with the Fuji Fuel TS dropped in. Agree with you as far as the Tour model having a "dead feel". I get the same feeling with the R1 when I smack it in the screws, a little different but the feel is not there.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I am still pretty happy with my performance Covert with the Fuji Fuel TS dropped in. Agree with you as far as the Tour model having a "dead feel". I get the same feeling with the R1 when I smack it in the screws, a little different but the feel is not there.

FUJI FUEL IS WICKED GOOD!!!!!! haven't hit the covert yet and not sure I even want to based on my performance with my R1.

I would like to know why Nike dropped the Project X Blue shafts for the Kuro Kage....For the last several years, the P X Blue has been their stock shaft.

I did find out that you can special order the Covert with the P X Blue from Nike with no upcharge.

Just wondering.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Agreed on the R1. The tour model ($400) driver with the best feel this year is the Razr Xtreme imo.

Agreed on the R1. The tour model ($400) driver with the best feel this year is the Razr Xtreme imo.

....... and the Ping G-25.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

While watching Tiger today I wondered if the looks of this new driver have anything to do with him not playing it? I know he is playing the Covert 5 wood now, but since he plays the orange GD DI shaft in his driver, I wonder if the looks (red head + orange shaft) are just too much to handle? I understand performance would be priority number 1, but all things equal I could see why he didn't move to the Covert.

He's never liked the adjustable heads. Says the oversized hosel is a distraction. I'm sure they're tooling up a fixed long hosel for him as I type and we'll see it sometime after Augusta.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I would like to know why Nike dropped the Project X Blue shafts for the Kuro Kage....For the last several years, the P X Blue has been their stock shaft.

I did find out that you can special order the Covert with the P X Blue from Nike with no upcharge.

Just wondering.....

The PXv is also available.

My question is why are demo versions out there with no hot melting port near the screw port?

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Did previous Nike drivers come with an aftermarket shaft like the Covert Tour?

Or did they come with "made for" shafts like other companies?

Nike's drivers for the past few years have come with the aftermarket ProjectX Blue family as a stock option. Several other companies offer aftermarket shafts as well, most of the time either stock or at zero upcharge.

In The Bag

Did previous Nike drivers come with an aftermarket shaft like the Covert Tour?

Or did they come with "made for" shafts like other companies?

Last years VR_S came with a "made for" Mitsubishi Fubuki shaft. It may have been the flex i choose or how light it was but it felt a little whippy to me

Hmm... I've always thought that most companies will give you a "made for" stock shaft like TMAG. But then again, I've always used TMAG , lol

Their TP series is authentic aftermarket shafts.

In The Bag

Their TP series is authentic aftermarket shafts.

I have friends who work at TMAG carlsbad and they told me that even the TP versions are not the real aftermarket shafts. Better than the non-tp, but still in between he said.

I have friends who work at TMAG carlsbad and they told me that even the TP versions are not the real aftermarket shafts. Better than the non-tp, but still in between he said.

According to the head of R&D and the shaft manufacturers and the builders at the Carlsbad and the Reynolds Plantation and the new Tampa area Kingdom locations, as well as the techs on the Tour Van, your friends are wrong. Not trying to be a dick, but from everyone that has spoken on the issue, including those making the shafts, they're real deal shafts. Just like the new Super TP R1 with the Oban Kiyoshi White. The topic has been beaten to death, and I'll take shaft manufacturers an the head of TMag R&D's word on it as we'll as measuring the specs on the shaft on several shaft analyzers coming out identical. The only difference in the TP shafts and the aftermarket ones you pay much more for are graphics(and some shaft manufacturers will tell you you'll save money by going with an up charge from a club manufacturer vs buying an aftermarket graphics shaft).

Call Mitsubishi-Rayon, Oban, Fujikura, etc. you'll get the same answer from all of them.(There's video of these questions being asked at the PGA Show and other places that are on the net). They are identical shafts save the graphics.

In The Bag

Archived