Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Ball to Use? HELP!

linfieldkp

So for the past 5 years I will find a ball I like buy 12 dozen of them and that will last me the year or two... Well I just ran out and the search for a new ball has begun..... I've played everything Pro V's, Nike's, Taylormade, Bridgestone's etc etc.... The last ball I was playing was the 2011 B330 Black...

So about me Driver head speed on avg is 125-130mph, avg drive is about 310-320yds, 150yd club is a between a 9 & PW....my biggest concern is keeping my distance on drives and keeping my spin around the greens without scarring the ball.....that is my biggest complaint about Pro V's is every wedge shot requires a new ball.... I've heard good things the Penta TP5 and the tour Nike's....any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver: 2013 Ping Anser 8.5 Aldila Rip XX 47"

Fairway: Cleveland HiBore XLS 3wood 45" VooDoo XVS7

Irons: Taylormade R11's 4-AW KBS Tour X // 3 Iron Mizuno MP-58 KBS TOUR X

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 KBS X

Putter: Ping Zing Karsten 35"

Bag: Nike Navy Blue Carry

Balls: Bridgestone B330 Black & Taylormade Penta TP5

Tees: 4" Zero Friction 3-prong

Whiskey: Crown Royal Neat

Cigars: Gurkha Widow Maker Maduro

125mph driver swing is more than 310yds... I max out at 112mph and I can still hit my ball 328yds.

But for balls, depending on the wedge too, I find that V1x works best for me. All those softer balls like V1 / Penta, I chew them up quicker.

V1x for me is not soft, but not hard. The hardest for me was Top flight and I find them to not tear quick, but at the same time I hate how they feel.

Penta TP5 = Penta TP, frankly. More in the softer ball category.

So if you don't care about feel, try Top flight, Volvik, Slazenger.

I have crushed some drives to 340-350yds.... however I have a really bad over the top move that kills my power....

Will I still get the distance out of the Topflite's or even the new Nike RZN's.... I played a round with the Nike RZN's (the softer one) they were very durable.... but I really felt like I lost distance with the driver????

Bridgestone e5 is the best ball for the budget. Two piece distance ball with a soft urethane cover for around the greens.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

icon_that.gif

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

You'll be better off with all your talent heading down to Walmart and grabbing what's on special.

icon_that.gif

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I'm nowhere near 125-130, but I have a high SS and I have not damaged any tour balls that have been made over the last couple years. I've also been using CC grooves since then, so that may be a difference. 12 dozen balls would last me no less than 5-6 years, so I'd stick with a tour ball and work on course management.

I'm nowhere near 125-130, but I have a high SS and I have not damaged any tour balls that have been made over the last couple years. I've also been using CC grooves since then, so that may be a difference. 12 dozen balls would last me no less than 5-6 years, so I'd stick with a tour ball and work on course management.

That lasts me 2-3 years.... I hit balls into a cliff some times... (looks down in shame)

Srixon ZStar

But my SS maxes out at 100mph.

I use about 3 dozen per season. I lose a lot of balls to water and OB :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I used to scuff the pro v1's as well, but it took a few rounds to do so, and that was only occasionally. I have switched to the conforming grooves with the CG 16 by Cleveland, and I have not scuffed anything. So what you are describing is in my opinion very unlikely.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm going to make this simple - like many others here I'm skeptical about your numbers - someone with that type of swing speed either plays very little golf and doesn't know any better or would have been discovered by now and be working on getting it even faster and being a Remax guy.

There's no one on tour who swings 125-130 on a regular basis.

Having written that the ball thing is very simple regardless of whether your swing speed is 125, 115, 105, 95 or 85 - The Penta TP5 is 25.99 right now - Going through as many balls as you do its the right price for a top of the line ball.

With that type of swing speed or even close to it you owe it to yourself to take some lessons and get better either by getting faster and entering those contests (then you want to go Pinnacle gold or something like it by the way) or getting slower and under control to be a better golfer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Eehhh whats up doc? Did I make a wrong turn at Albuquerque and end up at wrx?

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I thank you for all the advice, and yes my numbers are accurate..... I haven't played any of the "NEW" balls so that was the reason I am asking, last time I went on a ball search was in 2010 ans yes I seem to cut a lot of balls with my wedges....

Yes my swing speed is high I know this, and yes I don't get to play golf as much as I need to (only about once a month), with that being said I know my game needs work. I did try the REMAX thing and I still train in ELK GROVE with Ryan Winther, but his swing speed is in the 140's to low 150's, my Swing speed isn't even in the ballpark to be competitive with that.

Sorry to get all you questioning my stats but I just asked for a little direction on what ball or balls to look at... Thank you to those that gave and honest opinion I do appreciate.... as for those skeptics to my numbers any time you are in the Sacramento area PM me and we can meet up and I'll swing the big club for you and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.... Thanks again.

You'll always catch a little good natured ribbing here and there so glad to see you let it roll off you like water off a ducks back. I'm not swinging quite as fast as you (I can get up to mid 110's really stepping on it) and have had a lot of luck with the cally hex black. Distance is good, it can spin and holds up a hell of a lot better than the previous gen cally balls.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I thank you for all the advice, and yes my numbers are accurate..... I haven't played any of the "NEW" balls so that was the reason I am asking, last time I went on a ball search was in 2010 ans yes I seem to cut a lot of balls with my wedges....

Yes my swing speed is high I know this, and yes I don't get to play golf as much as I need to (only about once a month), with that being said I know my game needs work. I did try the REMAX thing and I still train in ELK GROVE with Ryan Winther, but his swing speed is in the 140's to low 150's, my Swing speed isn't even in the ballpark to be competitive with that.

Sorry to get all you questioning my stats but I just asked for a little direction on what ball or balls to look at... Thank you to those that gave and honest opinion I do appreciate.... as for those skeptics to my numbers any time you are in the Sacramento area PM me and we can meet up and I'll swing the big club for you and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.... Thanks again.

If you were to slow the swing down a bit, say to 85% of what you currently swing, you would still be around what 110-115, and you would probably have better control of the swing, and you would probably make much better contact with the ball, and at that speed you would still be well out past 315 yds. then on the holes that are more open, and you really feel like you want to, you can really try to get on it, I am just thinking out loud here, but I do think slowing down the swing a little will help you to be more accurate off the tee, and I don't think you would lose any distance, maybe even gain some, because your contact would be more centered. As for the ball situation, as I said before, I used to scuff the Pro v's, I switched to the callaway stuff and have not had a problem at all. I do know that the old grooves will tend to scuff more than the new grooves, but I think the newer balls are made a little better than they used to be, and that helps. Good luck finding a ball that will work for you.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Going back to the ball which is the question here I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone would pass on the Penta at 25.99 - whatever it is where you live you can get it for that online.

That's called getting great value.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You'll always catch a little good natured ribbing here and there so glad to see you let it roll off you like water off a ducks back. I'm not swinging quite as fast as you (I can get up to mid 110's really stepping on it) and have had a lot of luck with the cally hex black. Distance is good, it can spin and holds up a hell of a lot better than the previous gen cally balls.

Thank you this list will help a lot!!!!!

Archived