Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TM Burner Forged vs the PING Anser Forged

Golfware

Well, Jamo and NGage do like to banter. Yes, as the saying goes, opinions are like .....noses (edited for content), everyone has one.

Great edit as well..... Props

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I'm sorry as that's one of the hard things with conversations online, you never can tell for sure if someones being facetious. It's really tough to understand the emotion behind the comment and if one is just playing or joking so Pleas don't think I'm picking on anyone at all. I just don't get it when people rip other OEM's when pretty much their all pretty good and it's all just opinions, As we can see from week to week on the PGA Tour these guys can play with any OEM and be successful.

Tim

The clubs the top pros use might look like the one you're buying but they are nowhere near what you're buying other than in cosmetics. Those clubs are fit to the player to the finest tolerance the OEM can handle and involves a lot more work than just taking a set or even a few sets off the rack and giving them a swing. Regardless of best efforts at making the perfect fit, some of the top golfers will blame the new clubs for insecure feelings, as witness Tiger in a recent tournament going back to an older set and retiring his new set, fresh grooves and finish doomed to life in the garage.

There's a bit of yourself you put into a well used set and the longer you have been using it, the more difficult it will be for you to part with it. This more often happens in the payoff clubs like the Irons and putter and rarely in the set up clubs like the Driver or 3 wood, though Nicklaus felt otherwise about his 3 wood, and Davis Love III fought valiantly for his Persimmon drivers. I suspect that if they were not being paid, a lot more pros would be marching about the fairways with treasured old equipment. B)

Shambles

• SPY VIP

I don't know how you can say CLEAN LINES of Ping when they have a GIANT NUB on the back of the CB? JMO

also its the first forged iron so i'd wait on giving this the thumbs up as the best forged cb. We haven't even seen in hand yet or for that matter ever hit a forged Ping iron so i'll keep my judgement until DEMO day!

Whatever it is it's not "Clean Lines"

So after this beating I had to go back and look at the Anser forged irons and see how my simple two words CLEAN LINES had been so wrong. In reviewing the photo, the lines are simpler and for the most part uninterrupted. This is how I define clean. Specifically, if you look at the sole of of the club, you can see that the Ping sole is simpler an in my opinion "Cleaner" than the multi-level sole of the TM offering. Perhaps the term "classic lines" would have been better received. My main point was that this sole of the TM club reminds me of a previous SGI iron that they produced. This for me was unexpected in a high priced forged set.

As for the notch in the hosel. This has been a feature in so many sets of Ping irons that I guess I just expect it to be there. To me it adds some subtle visual distinction to the club.

Of course, if one was in the market for a new forged set of irons, they would be foolish to buy a set based only upon ascetics, they would have to hit them. It does seem though that the sets that are ugly, but well hitting don't sell as well.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It's quite simple: I've had good experience with Taylor Made clubs, and not so good experiences with Ping. I like how Taylor Made pushes the envelope with technology, while Ping seems content to make each club just a tiny but different than the last. I'm not saying that is bad, just not what I prefer.

And see....my personal experience has been just the complete opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries....tomatoe...tomato.

Like I said, you guys like to banter. :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

As for the notch in the hosel. This has been a feature in so many sets of Ping irons that I guess I just expect it to be there. To me it adds some subtle visual distinction to the club.

I don't know why the hosel notch gets mentioned as often as it does. It isn't visible at address on any Ping iron and maybe I've played Ping for too long, but I really don't notice it's even there any more.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I don't know why the hosel notch gets mentioned as often as it does. It isn't visible at address on any Ping iron and maybe I've played Ping for too long, but I really don't notice it's even there any more.

It may just be because no other OEM does it. It may just be a little too different for some. The notch is hidden like you say at address so thats can't be it.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

To me it just makes it feel like I am going to break it. Completely mental but that can be the hardest habit to break.

To me it just makes it feel like I am going to break it. Completely mental but that can be the hardest habit to break.

Your swing must be more powerful than mine. LOL.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hosel notch is nothing to worry about. i rip the living daylights out of my i5 irons and have had them since birth. no worries.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

• 8 months later...

Archived