What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

6 hours ago, MrBandit said:

Let's just start by saying, I hate going to the range.  I may go once a month, if that and all I end up hitting about 30-40 balls and am super done.

Now I practice 3-4 days a week chipping and putting in the morning for about an 1hr.

The last 3 rounds have really been shown the practice session have been working. Even going back last 10 rounds.
Chipping and putting Strokes Gain have been improving consistently.

If I enjoy the range at all maybe the approach stat would improve more, which is my worse stat. 

IMO short game fine-tuning is where you make up a lot of your strokes especially if you struggle of the tee or your weakness is your approach shots like me.

My last 3 rounds.
image.png.3cddf30d33e21bf772d9be1584775dc9.png  image.png.c8c386cb77f2b27be997af90e2f48713.png
My last 10 rounds:

image.png.acaf9653f6a46c90432b9902fa5b7a3f.png  image.png.d6a9facd1d96fb8321f84cac48de068e.png

Strokes Gain last 3 Rounds and last 10 Rounds.
image.png.a9c34db09084dda7a5e27ed670373c1e.png  image.png.9fd56ff4c4cb3816a856184472d0dd38.png

No question, a good short game saving a lot of strokes. putting can be 30-40% of your strokes, and if you are a good chipper it can reduce those putting numbers..

committed to performance excellence

Spent last night at Golftec refining my aim. Instructor spread my stance a few inches and greatly improved my stability. Hit a series of 9 irons on my mat this morning to keep it straight, then 6 irons at lunch. Tonight I work with the driver (mosquitos allowing).

If things stabilize, I may reward myself with a new driver. I think it's time to retire the TM 5 series

Brain breaks in the office are a GREAT time to work the putting stroke. 5-10 minutes add up as I'm changing gears from research to writing to meetings.  

call it a gimmick, but the Crestgolf trainer (kinda a half ball) tells me whether it was end over end, if i'll pulled it or pushed it.  

Results...way less three putts this summer.  I'll take that as productive practice.

MGS Crestgolf ball.jpg

WITB: Ping, Taylormade, Mizuno, sub70

On 8/26/2024 at 10:47 AM, cnosil said:

Since you have tried nothing I would suggest you try something.   😂.   As Jim suggested find a putting specific instuctor, but that won’t be an easy task since few swing instructors are good putting instructors.

my question would be what’s wrong with your putting and how do you practice putting skills?   The are 4 skills, aim, stroke, touch, and read.   Ask yourself:

• am I aiming the putter down my intended line?
  • Is my stroke sending the ball down that intended line?
  • is the ball rolling the speed I intended and getting to the hole?
  • Do you know how to read the green?  

On 8/26/2024 at 9:52 AM, Jim Shaw said:

ask around for the "best" putting instructor in your area, they will give you some great feedback and what to work on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was making a Simpsons reference but I have an instructor if it ever got to the point. I mentioned it usually happens once a year. Sometimes it's my stance gets too closed, other times it's my shoulders too closed or I'm looking up. Usually a session with the TIBA putt system gets me on the right track.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

Day 223 (27 Aug 24) - Monthly men’s group outing nine hole super ball.  Had grandson playing in our threesome - kid carried us on the greens as he made five 1 putts for 4 pars and 1 birdie - average distance was 10’.   For me it was a solid round of ball striking with the 845s Silver Scots, TM R580, etc.  Now if I could only putt like my grandson…we finished 1 under with no bogies, 8 pars and 1 birdie. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Short game - chipping, putting, bunker, and some 100-yard wedge shots 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: bjohnson@northamericangolftour.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Day 224 (28 Aug 24) - Easy day with some of the clubs hitting into the net in the backyard.  Worked on setup and takeaway process.  Kept most swings to 1/2 swings as the focus was getting consistent contact on the ball with the club face.   

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

My coach gave me some great advice on how to build a reliable wedge chart so I'm actively rebuilding my wedge chart. 

Waist high swing, Shoulder high and Full. Most likely to use the waist and shoulder for all wedge work unless I need to climb over a tree. John Daly said if you wanna be accurate with your wedges never take a full swing. 20240828_114815.jpg.1d673560766ac8cd407ddb303aff0e39.jpg

First column is carry. 2nd is total on flightscopes "hard" surface. I can guesstimate roll based on conditions of the day with this being the high side. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

Spent some time working on my approach shots this morning. Since I recently moved to Phoenix, AZ, and am currently job searching, I have plenty of time to focus on improving my game. Loving the sunny weather here—it’s perfect for getting in some extra practice! 

PS: Yall know of anybody hiring? lol Got a background in marketing!

1% better everyday

I went to the range to work on various aspects of my game, but ended up focusing on my new 3-wood and wedges. Unfortunately, the range doesn't allow drivers because of concerns from nearby businesses about stray balls. I have to say, I’m really impressed with the feel of my new 3-wood—it’s definitely going to be a go-to club in my bag.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

14 minutes ago, MrJustin25 said:

Spent some time working on my approach shots this morning. Since I recently moved to Phoenix, AZ, and am currently job searching, I have plenty of time to focus on improving my game. Loving the sunny weather here—it’s perfect for getting in some extra practice! 

PS: Yall know of anybody hiring? lol Got a background in marketing!

Welcome to the Forum!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Spent todays session hitting about 100 balls, focusing on keeping the club wide and closed during takeaway. One of my biggest faults and bad habits that I always fall back into is getting flippy with the wrists during my takeaway, bringing the club way too far inside the plane and ending up in a very shallow position at the top of my backswing. This causes the arms to "get stuck", so to speak, when you begin the transition into the downswing.

IMG_24952.jpg.90755b3b1914594ee3b6ed0151b40f76.jpg

My strike pattern improved significantly, and this drill always helps smooth out my tempo. I always lose ball speed and yardage when I use this drill, but i'm more than happy to make that sacrifice when my strike pattern and shot shaping increases so significantly.

Spent the rest of the session working on some alignment issues with my wedges.

All-in-all very successful range session. ⛳

IMG_2477.png.1e8012192af66012ba75cdf759b3eaa5.png

Edited by Gravenor

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png   Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition | Diamana 'ahina 65g (9.5°, Stiff)

titleist200.png.e01ae7639090c209c93c9f2f7435d808.png   4 Wood: Titleist TS2 | Kuro Kage Black Seires 65g (16.5°, Stiff)

mizuno200.png.4605df8e24685074d10718ba6ac66080.png   Irons: Mizuno MP15 | True Temper DG S300 (4-PW, Stiff)

taylormade200.png.e6cb0a20f84873d1f59007172ed00680.png   Wedges: Taylormade Z-Spin | True Temper DG S300 (52°/9°B, 56°/12°B, 60°/10°B, Stiff)

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png  Putter: Nike Method Milled Model 004 (35")

⭐ See my review of the ShotScope Pro ZR here ⭐

On 9/5/2016 at 2:22 PM, null said:

We have a thread asking how did you play today, but what about those days you simply worked on your game rather than played?

What did you work on today?

Two shots left of target and two shots right of target with every iron.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

Spent my time at the range yesterday and it went well. I went twice, once at lunch and then once in the evening. At lunch I worked on my short irons the whole time and was really trying to work on accuracy and trying to put any kind of backspin on my shots( I wasn't able to hahaha). In the evening I worked through my bag from wedges all the way to driver at the end. Great day of practice!

Driver: image.png.0460b0562110773c713b4c28d906f6b7.png AI Smoke Max, 10.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 55 Graphite

Irons:image.png.0460b0562110773c713b4c28d906f6b7.png AI Smoke Irons

PW: image.png.0460b0562110773c713b4c28d906f6b7.png AI Smoke

SW: Wilson Tour TC2 55°

Putter: image.png.e939fc84f4a8abfaa093ecca9f517339.png MEZZ.1 Custom, Heavier 34", Press Pistol 2°

Received my Putt Out Devils Ball and decided to test it out on what I thought was the Pro setting (most difficult), after 5 or 6 perfectly straight putts and thinking i had a perfect putting stroke, I watched a video online and realized I actually had it on the easiest setting. After 5 terrible putts on the pro putting, and realizing my putting stroke is far from perfect, I can't wait to keep using this tool to help my game.

Thinking I may need to find a flatter spot in the basement to practise putting as well as I think I may not be perfectly level right now after a room adjustment while cleaning up.

Anyone have any tips to finding the best / flattest spot for putting practise? I am thinking just grab every level I have and lay it everywhere in the basement

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS

3 wood - Callaway Rogue Max ST

5 wood - Ram

4 hybrid - Cobra T-rail

Irons (5-AW) - Taylormade Speedblade HL

Wedges, Taylormade Milled Grind 3 56

Putter: Taylormade Spider GT

Bag: Cobra cart bag

Balls: Taylormade TP5 Pix or Bridgestone E12 contact

Tracker: Arccos

8 minutes ago, byantzi said:

Received my Putt Out Devils Ball and decided to test it out on what I thought was the Pro setting (most difficult), after 5 or 6 perfectly straight putts and thinking i had a perfect putting stroke, I watched a video online and realized I actually had it on the easiest setting. After 5 terrible putts on the pro putting, and realizing my putting stroke is far from perfect, I can't wait to keep using this tool to help my game.

Thinking I may need to find a flatter spot in the basement to practise putting as well as I think I may not be perfectly level right now after a room adjustment while cleaning up.

Anyone have any tips to finding the best / flattest spot for putting practise? I am thinking just grab every level I have and lay it everywhere in the basement

What is this product you are practicing with? Never heard of it before

Bearrunner

Putt out Devil Ball - https://puttout.golf/products/devil-ball

I think there may even be some reviews of it on the forum, there is an area that is basically flat so if you don't hit it perfectly square the ball goes off line immediately. It over exaggerates a putt that may actually go somewhat straight on a real ball.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS

3 wood - Callaway Rogue Max ST

5 wood - Ram

4 hybrid - Cobra T-rail

Irons (5-AW) - Taylormade Speedblade HL

Wedges, Taylormade Milled Grind 3 56

Putter: Taylormade Spider GT

Bag: Cobra cart bag

Balls: Taylormade TP5 Pix or Bridgestone E12 contact

Tracker: Arccos

Any clock system wedge users in the thread?! How do you guys go about working on these numbers/positions? Looking for some new ways or what others work with!

:callaway-small:Driver: Ai SmokeTriple Diamond

:ping-small: G425 MAX 12* w/ 3 Wood shaft

:srixon-small: Utility 3 Iron

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:titleist-small:Wedges:  SM10 50* 54* F Grinds and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

I went to the range last night after playing the worst round of golf of my life 2 weeks ago. I recently got into an organization called The give Foundation that is golf for injured veterans everywhere based out of Iowa and have had two classes with them. I tweaked a few things trying to figure out why I was not hitting well and last night I flushed everything It felt so good to actually finally hit the ball well. Hopefully that transition's over onto the course lol.

Practiced for about 1.5 hours today, all focused towards chipping and pitching around the green.

1. Hit some simple pitch shots with my 56° to warm up.
  2. Followed up by some bunker practice and short sided practice (over a bunker to a pin tucked short right).
  3. Then worked from my lob wedge down to my 8-iron, hitting a range of different chip, pitch and bump-and-run shots from different lies and angles to all of the different flag positions. 

IMG_2496.png.e57c45ef6f7b4dc5edd5f9e487240e16.png

I must admit I have always been the "just pull a lob wedge" guy. Regardless of lie, factors or circumstances, my decision making rarely changed. I couldn't believe how accurate I was hitting bump-and-run PW's, 9-irons and 8-irons! Always seemed like a boring way to play the game when I was younger, but I can definitely see my scores drastically improving using these types of shots more. Everything felt very natural today - struck the ball well and hit my landing position more often than not... even if the practice "green" is more like a fairway!

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png   Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition | Diamana 'ahina 65g (9.5°, Stiff)

titleist200.png.e01ae7639090c209c93c9f2f7435d808.png   4 Wood: Titleist TS2 | Kuro Kage Black Seires 65g (16.5°, Stiff)

mizuno200.png.4605df8e24685074d10718ba6ac66080.png   Irons: Mizuno MP15 | True Temper DG S300 (4-PW, Stiff)

taylormade200.png.e6cb0a20f84873d1f59007172ed00680.png   Wedges: Taylormade Z-Spin | True Temper DG S300 (52°/9°B, 56°/12°B, 60°/10°B, Stiff)

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png  Putter: Nike Method Milled Model 004 (35")

⭐ See my review of the ShotScope Pro ZR here ⭐

Been working on my distance control all week. Going through the bag properly to work out the distance of each club. Hitting the course this weekend and hoping for some results after a more clear view.

Driver :titleist-small: TSR2 10°

FW woods :callaway-small:Diablo 15°  :cobra-small:Darkspeed X 18°

Irons :taylormade-small:Burner 2009

Wedges :callaway-small: Raw Jaws 50°  :callaway-small:Raw Jaws Full Toe 56°/60°

Putter  :ping-small:Craz-e Vault 2.0

Day 225 (29 Aug 24) - Played the weekly 9 hole round with my good friend, however I played the other nine on my own.  Focused on reading the break on the greens - trying a little aim point technology.  Very rudimentary in applying l, but I did have much more consistent rolls of the putter….need to explore this more.  

13 hours ago, Gin41 said:

Been working on my distance control all week. Going through the bag properly to work out the distance of each club. Hitting the course this weekend and hoping for some results after a more clear view.

Just remember that quality of strike and ball will make these numbers fluctuate if one of them does carry longer or shorter than others. Nothing to get down on yourself about for sure. Missing off the toe or the heel may take some distance away from those distances! Go get em!!

:callaway-small:Driver: Ai SmokeTriple Diamond

:ping-small: G425 MAX 12* w/ 3 Wood shaft

:srixon-small: Utility 3 Iron

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:titleist-small:Wedges:  SM10 50* 54* F Grinds and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

3 minutes ago, JStapp said:

Just remember that quality of strike and ball will make these numbers fluctuate if one of them does carry longer or shorter than others. Nothing to get down on yourself about for sure. Missing off the toe or the heel may take some distance away from those distances! Go get em!!

For sure thanks! Making sure to some good number of strikes with each club without stressing. Just so I can get an actual average rather one or two really good or bad strike skewing the results!

Driver :titleist-small: TSR2 10°

FW woods :callaway-small:Diablo 15°  :cobra-small:Darkspeed X 18°

Irons :taylormade-small:Burner 2009

Wedges :callaway-small: Raw Jaws 50°  :callaway-small:Raw Jaws Full Toe 56°/60°

Putter  :ping-small:Craz-e Vault 2.0

Saw another comment working on the same thing I am. Bringing the club straighter back in my backswing to give myself some room at the top to come more inside to out. Hit about 60 balls and half were frustrating but starting to get the feel right. Have never been able to use the hands in pocket feel so trying to find the right swing thought that makes sense to shallow out the downswing. Heading back out this afternoon to give it some more work.