Does anyone walk anymore?

I mentioned successful foot surgery, am now 69, I envision getting a battery pack for my unused 3 wheeler, maybe by end of this summer.  Bout 6 years ago I bot the 3 wheeler and promptly hurt my foot just bad enough to force me to ride.

and as anybody will tell you, you learn the contour of the holes better on foot.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

14 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

To me seems there are a few types of courses that just cannot, for example .. courses squeezed in almost as an afterthought within a housing tract development; courses built on oddly shaped parcels where some routings just get weirdly spread out; or .. some courses out there are just not well designed, don't make good use of the natural topography and are not well routed...

I have walked all of those types of courses. Sometimes it's a real slog, but if I'm determined to walk, I'm going to walk ... end of story.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

I will be walking while pushing a cart soon!. More details coming...

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I prefer to walk and out of playing roughly 50 times last year I walked about 40 of them. Only time I ride is playing on vacation or traveling, playing in captains choice tournaments that require riding, or if I want to hit multiple balls to work on something. I use the Bag Boy Nitron which is awesome!!  Highly recommend it. 

Float between 10-12 handicap. Typically walk 9 twice a week and walk 18 once or twice a week. Love this site and the insight it provides. 

10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I will be walking while pushing a cart soon!. More details coming...

I have this year started walking. It has made this awesome game we love even more fun to me!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

39 minutes ago, TJ24 said:

I prefer to walk and out of playing roughly 50 times last year I walked about 40 of them. Only time I ride is playing on vacation or traveling, playing in captains choice tournaments that require riding, or if I want to hit multiple balls to work on something. I use the Bag Boy Nitron which is awesome!!  Highly recommend it. 

Welcome to MGS!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

I may be walking today!

WITB-

Dad and I usually walk about 3 times a week. It's a good way to get out and get some fresh air and exercise. By the way. he's 93 and I'm 67. We found we were always leaving the cart behind and having to walk just as far back to go get it. That by itself was frustrating and we had to take our eyes off where the ball landed, so it was harder to find. Walking is so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

Walked /pushed my first 18 yesterday,  and today I am paying for it in the leg muscles.  Ooof!

I originally planned only to go 9 holes, being as it was my first time. I should have stuck to that plan!

But I was on a high from hitting it so well the front 9, so I just kept going!

I was sweaty, itchy, and tired from playing in 90⁰ heat, but in the end it was worth it!

I will definitely continue to pursue this, but more in the cooler months I think.  For a 9 hole day in the summer, it's still possible ...

WITB-

99% of the time I am a cart driver. Golf is Golf, but when it’s cartpath only, it does affect cart riders in the most negative fashion. “I have to walk how far?”  I understand that most of the time it’s because of wet conditions and they don’t want you screwing up the course. I’m thinking there might be cause for a redesign of the golf cart. Not necessarily a powered bike, but a single rider, lighter cart.  Then again, maybe I should just start walking.  My doctor would appreciate it.

If I’m riding and it’s cart path only, it becomes annoying as you basically take 3-4 clubs and a rangefinder with you to determine distance.  It also slows play.  Not to mention I’m always at the furthest point from the cart path.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

I prefer to walk course, did 5 days a week until a couple years ago.  But age, bad back/knees all finally caught up to me.  Still play but stuck riding, my course is quite hilly.

As for your question.  Living in S AZ, i never thought too much about cart path only.  Then i moved to several places with a lot of rain.

Yes, it is a real challenge and really makes for slower play.  Often I get to spot, grab whole bag to walk out to my ball.  It may be one of 3 or 4 clubs, plus umbrella, towels etc.

I'm not much of a mudder,  I still play when I can.  But often I just stay at home and hit balls into net instead.

<p>Driver:  Callaway Epic 9 deg, Graphite design shaft stiff</p><p>Fairway:  TM M1v17/p><p>Irons:  Mission Hot Milled regular, 5 thru sw, TM Putter:  face</p><p>Ball:  Titelist Pro V1 or chrome soft X

The harder the course the more I want to walk it.  Unfortunately there are courses in my area that will not let you walk at certain times which is trash IMO.  I am not sure why but it seems like a lot of people are in a hurry to get their golf over with versus enjoying it.  It's like people are rushing to get through a round vs soaking it all in.  I understand why courses want people to hurry so they can get more money but this is where you can benefit from the last tee time of the day and walk!

TM

I play once per week and typically walk with a push cart.  Was forced to walk due to the course being constantly cart path only (Memorial Park, Houston TX) but have grown used to it.   I don’t mind now and love it when the weather is nice.  But when it’s hot, it’s very tough. 

I play once a week at least with a regular foursome. Between a 14-17 handicap, but working to get more consistent.  Enjoy walking when it’s not too hot.  

On 5/19/2024 at 10:30 AM, Rob Person said:

I may be walking today!

They do have an attachment for a stroller for your clubs.  Just saying!

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

I would love to walk more. However with age has come 2 back surgeries, one knee replacement and one shoulder replacement. On days when we have cart path only as long as it is fairly cool out, 65 and lower, the extra walking is actually enjoyable and I think it helps me to stay loose. However on warmer days of 75 or above, 16,17, & 18 usually turn into quite an effort. Wish I could walk more, I do think I play better with those extra steps.

2 hours ago, Shinnman said:

They do have an attachment for a stroller for your clubs.  Just saying!

I saw that one that hangs from the back, but pretty sure I'd get some strange looks and possibly a few calls to the local police for pushing an empty Stroller sdown the cart path..  Of course I could just start yelling out " has anyone see. My kid?, I swear I just let him play for in that giant sandbox over there for a moment while I was putting!"

WITB-

34 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I saw that one that hangs from the back, but pretty sure I'd get some strange looks and possibly a few calls to the local police for pushing an empty Stroller sdown the cart path..  Of course I could just start yelling out " has anyone see. My kid?, I swear I just let him play for in that giant sandbox over there for a moment while I was putting!"

That would be hilarious…manhunt on a golf course for a missing kid that never was in the stroller!  

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

• 2 weeks later...

Some neighborhood courses here in Georgia make it almost impossible to walk with how long some drives are from one green to the next tee. It can also get incredibly hot and honestly unsafe to walk. However, should those issues not be in play I do like to walk.

Visited a course today that had a sign at the counter that said "no walkers". I didn't have my phone with me inside to snap a Pic. I'm guessing they either

A. think it's better For PoP

B. They don't have to have separate rates

C. The course is mangled with ruts amd roots everywhere,  and had liability issues in the past.

It's ashame too, as franken-cart had to stay in the truck,  and the elevation changes were minimal,  making it perfect for walkers!

WITB-

I walk 3 rounds a week.  It’s the focal point of my exercise routine. My course is about 5.5 miles depending on how well I play. 😏

I use a ClicGear cart and added the seat for days when it’s slow. The umbrella holder works well for both rain and strong sun. Wind is an issue if it’s strong.  My course is also flat so that helps. 

Ping G425 Max Driver, i525 irons