Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tour Only?!

Shankster

Ok, this one has been bugging me for a while, and it might go further as I get going...

I asked a company about a hat, nope tour only.

A putter color is tour only. Really? A color?

A 2 iron is tour only.

Have you seen the Cleveland RTX 3 Wedges in the bag of some of the pros? Tour Only.

Special wedges, oh dang those are Tour only.

I won't go into a particular putter brand that makes tour only stuff.

Why is it that pro golfers get to customize their gear so much. If it is that much better we as consumers are getting left high and dry.

We want cool s**t too! If the stuff on TV is that much better, what are we paying for?

It's the same reason that some equipment isn't available for lefties: demand.

Some of the Tour only stuff is very niche. You have to remember that us forum golfers are a small subset of the golf population. OEMs must manage skus and inventory and creating so many different models or colors would be detrimental to their inventory control.

Do us forum geeks want to get our hands on that tour only stuff? Absolutely! But we're a tiny blip on the radar in terms of overall demand

Flip it around though. If the current retail sku was tour only, and the current tour only sku was retail. You'd still just want the one you can't have. Which would be the one you already have.

The grass is always greener.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Because they're better than you is the real answer. The average golfer doesn't need or can't handle lots of stuff that pga pros can, and the products would flop because of a lack of talent. The TW balls Nike released a while back is a prime example. Very few people liked them and could play them because they couldn't compress them so they didn't perform. Every golf ball on shelves right now that are in play on tour aren't the same balls, take a look at the conforming ball list. There's likely 15-20 or so ProV1's on there. You can buy 2. The difference in talent and what their game demands is why.

And the Circle T putters you allude to are all available to the public (without tour guys names on them). You can purchase and order the identical putter to any guy on tour through Scotty's distributors or on Wednesday's during the gallery release.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't care if they are better than me. And how do you know anyways? You don't know me.

The market is FLOODED with game improvement stuff. So the better ball strikers suffer because the masses fall into the “pros are better than you” category?

They wonder why people hit 400+ yard drives. Perfectly dialed in sticks. What other sport gets that treatment? Football? Nope. Baseball? Nope. Volleyball? Nope. Basketball? Nope.

Sure they have their name on shoes. But they don't make a special ball for each player. It's all the same.

IBlade 2 iron. There are a few.

There's literally been one iblade 2 iron sighting in the past 2 years and nobody of any substance plays one. It's literally or one of two off.

And most gear can be customized to your hearts content if you are willing to pay for it. They're world class athletes on sponsorship deals worth thousands if not millions of dollars, so yeah, I'd expect the OEMs to make special equipment and customize it as much as possible to keep their investment happy and performing at its best

There's literally been one iblade 2 iron sighting in the past 2 years and nobody of any substance plays one. It's literally or one of two off.

And most gear can be customized to your hearts content if you are willing to pay for it. They're world class athletes on sponsorship deals worth thousands if not millions of dollars, so yeah, I'd expect the OEMs to make special equipment and customize it as much as possible to keep their investment happy and performing at its best

You guys are missing my point, jumping to “YOU SUCK” right away. I give up. Enjoy your EVNROLL promoting.

Seriously that's what always happens. Someone speaks up a conversation and you belittle the s*** out of them.

It's always go take lessons.

Go see a pro.

Maybe they just wanted to have a damn conversation man.

But what's the conversation? You asked what these reason for tour only equipment was. People gave you the answer. Because you don't like the answers (which are the truth), you act like everyone is personally attacking you.

We're not. We answered the questions

What does that have anything to do with the Tour Only stuff you started your thread about?

You have succeeded in running me out of here.

Congratulations, you'll never see the likes of me again.

I've requested that I be banned from the site.

I'm sure you are more than happy.

To everyone else, take care. It's been fun.

Wow. No idea how it got to this level.

Almost a years worth of discounting everything I say.

Dude I don't discount a thing. Nobody does. We're all here to make sure that the community discusses the facts. If something is being misrepresented, then we as a community should make sure that the correct information is discussed. If someone does not like the truth, then that is there own issue.

Nobody cares what skill levels anyone else is. If someone enjoys the game more by playing certain equipment then more power to them.

My entire bag is custom (except driver) and you can't have it. PlaidJacket only!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm hope you are not being serious. I think we can all agree that you are a huge presence in the MGS community! You participate in almost every thread. Yes, jlukes' comments are often brash and sarcastic (we actually got into a rather "interesting" discussion my first week as a member), but I really don't think he indended to run you out of here — at least, I hope he didn't. Not really sure how this thread deteriorated so quickly. I think we should just forgive and forget, and move on...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Is some “tour” stuff custom, highly coveted, and very very limited in production?Sure.

However if an item becomes quite popular, then we, the buying public get access to it. Few examples include, the TW Vr tour 10.5 driver and the TW Vapor driver. Remember Bubba's pink driver? Also some tour clubs are full of lead tape, excess weighted ports, and welds, ie Adam Scott's putter. Not very shelf appealing. Remember the PM grind? Sure, started out as “tour only”, then more people took notice, and BOOM, on market.

Phew, now to the heart, 2irons are very rare with more consumers using either hybrids, driving irons, or 5/7 woods. One is questioning ability, but 2iron is a very rare request nowadays. The demand just isn't there any more, plus the notion of replacing a 2iron wasn't even conceived in early sets. Thus pings, I think last “offered” 2iron was in the i3 series? Hybrids were still in the experimental stage and usually scoffed at by Tour level players. If demand/request on a item is heavy, then companies usually cater to the public.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

I'm hope you are not being serious. I think we can all agree that you are a huge presence in the MGS community! You participate in almost every thread. Yes, jlukes' comments are often brash and sarcastic (we actually got into a rather "interesting" discussion my first week as a member), but I really don't think he indended to run you out of here — at least, I hope he didn't. Not really sure how this thread deteriorated so quickly. I think we should just forgive and forget, and move on...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Agreed on all accounts. And if you look at thread, I clearly wasn't the one who made things personal. There was nothing personal about any of my initial responses.

And if i took it personal every time someone corrected me or had a different opinion than me I'd be in the nut house!

I don't care if they are better than me. And how do you know anyways? You don't know me.

The market is FLOODED with game improvement stuff. So the better ball strikers suffer because the masses fall into the “pros are better than you” category?

They wonder why people hit 400+ yard drives. Perfectly dialed in sticks. What other sport gets that treatment? Football? Nope. Baseball? Nope. Volleyball? Nope. Basketball? Nope.

Sure they have their name on shoes. But they don't make a special ball for each player. It's all the same.

Wow, that escalated quickly.  Nobody said you suck.  Go read the thread again.  Rookie said pro's were better than you.  I was taking that "you" to be all inclusive of the amateur golfer, not you personally.  And you're right, we don't know you, but saying a PROFESSIONAL GOLFER is better than you is probably a safe bet.

To say the better ball strikers suffer because they can't get an iblade 2 iron is just silly.  There are plenty of 2 irons on the market.  They can be had, it just takes money.

Pro's hit 400yd drives because they are flat out amazing at golf.  Not because they have access to some special driver or club that we can't have that lets them do it.  Amateur's can get just as dialed in sticks.

So I read through the whole thread.  I didn't see any personal attacks.  If that makes you want to take your ball and go home then so be it.  I'm not going to ban you, that's just silly to ask for.

However you've been a great part of the MGS forums.  I know I wouldn't be the only person that would be sad to see you go.  I'd prefer if we can just all act like adults and have a conversation instead of jumping to assumptions that everything is directly against you.

I'd rather sit and enjoy watching my kids taking their swim lessons on a Saturday morning than have to come in here and play referee in a thread.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I don't have to know you to know if you were as talented as a pga player, you'd be playing alongside them and not posting on a Golf forum. I've played with several guys that are on tour, several play at and get instruction at the local country club. They play a different game than a scratch amateur does. By the way, the “You” I refer to is figurative, not literal. It's not a personal shot, but if you take it that way, whatever I guess.

And they get equipment amateurs don't get because they're talented enough to actually use it. Find one and play with them and make friends with them if you want access to stuff amateurs can't get. They can get it for you, I've got several bags full of stuff I've gotten from several of them. I also have relationships with a few manufacturers and have access to items not available to the public. If you want access you can get it, it just takes work.

Companies are in the business to make money. They're not going to put out a very niche product that 99.9% of their market isn't going to be able to use. That's a good way to go out of business. Making product customers hate.

As for the other sports you mentioned, baseball, basketball and football all have products not available to be public. Basketball players wear shoes nightly that are never released. Baseball players get gloves the public can't get and cleats as well. Football players get cleats and certain types of protective equipment not available to the public. Volleyball doesn't have a following and the only kind I ever watch is Olympic beach volleyball so I can't comment on it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Tour only. Try being a lefty and everything is Righty only. It's like man those are sweet looking irons, nope RH only, I love the looks of that putter, nope RH only. Putter companies are the worst. Evnroll, I think they've uave 1 model we can get in Lefty. Most of ge major putter companies have a Anser style, a #9 style, and SBST model. Even custom it's difficult to get a model that we want in Lefty. I'm not paying an extra 2 bills so you make it in Lefty either. So I search for and play clubs where companies have a little more for the Lefty.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Well I was sorry to see how this escalated and will join those who wish Shankster would reconsider.

I've been busy all day but was going to pop in to say - money. OEMs will make what works for a tour player so that the player has a bag full of that OEMs clubs. While you can't get exactly what a tour player has you can get exactly what you need or even want for the right amount of money.

If you want a 2 iron I'm sure you can find a club builder who will be happy to build you one. Heck Shankster is skilled enough that he could probably build one himself.

Better you could certainly get a set of clubs dialed in to your own swing.

@Shankster the reason it's always fitting and lessons is because this group knows that those are the keys to playing the best golf possible. Many of us have gone the do it myself route and learned that it doesn't often work. Yes, guys on tour get access to different equipment but notice how they also have a swing and fitness coach. You can have a very competent swing coach for around $50 a session. That's a bargain and a great way to improve.

Careful though he may try to talk you out of that 2 iron. :)

I hope you stay with us.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived