2018 Official Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Golf

hckymeyer

There you go Kenny - my fastest blue club swing today was 106 which is right where I should be based on my starting SS.

I should be 109,106,103 based on what SuperSpeed says - I was exactly that today. Was very consistent today with the blue and my steps and fast LH - lots of over 100 swings.

Oddly I have a head cold and almost emailed Daisy about not working out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

First of all, I hope you get to feeling better[mention=16651]Revkev[/mention]. Dealing with a cold and doing the SuperSpeed training is tough.

I got my first session of the week in today and already have swings over 100 with all clubs, both hands for the third week in a row.

RH: 114, 113, 102

LH: 108, 104, 100

The 113 with my medium (green for me, senior set) was actually a regular swing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Second session this week was not very good.  I did my first session this week on Monday, then walked 18 holes afterwards.  I was a little sore.  Yesterday I did absolutely nothing.  Thought I would take a day and rest (OK, nap!); it rained, the wind blew 20-40 mph, then the sun came out but still very windy.

Still sore today, and it showed in my speeds.  Not one swing with any club over 100mph.  Same swing speed with Green, Blue and Red... 98.  Something must be wrong with the radar.  😉

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've developed a bit of a problem: I'm pretty sure the left-handed swings have contributed to an injury of my left hand. For the past couple of weeks, I've had a nagging pain running pretty much up the life line on the palm of my left hand. It has definitely weakened that hand; I've found it hard to grab things without pain.

Initially, I thought it might have been some hand exercises I began doing (working with this set). But I'm not experiencing the pain while doing the exercises, and it absolutely sharpens on the left-handed swings, especially with the heaviest club.

I'm an interlock grip user here. But I've found that the pain is lessened significantly going to an overlap grip. I just don't think my off-hand swing is coordinated enough, and locking the fingers together seems to be causing some action that isn't good.

Anyone else with any experience like this? What grips do you guys use?

• Sad 1

:titelist-small: TS3
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX Iron-Wood 22°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 6–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0
:taylormade-small: TP5x

Full WITB with pictures

I use an interlocking grip. No hand pain,but I did have some pain in my forearm last week. Took an extra day of rest and that seemed to cure it.

I would take a few days off and go with the good old RICE method. Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: RADSPEED, Fujikura Motore 70 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black 7

I use an overlapping grip just as I do right handed.  MPR I'm afraid you need to be on the sideline until that heals - there are warnings in the protocol material that tell us to stop if we get hurt.  You just need to rest it until its better and then resume. 

Sorry that you got hurt - I will often be sure in my left forum the day after a workout but it's always fine by the next day.

• Like 2

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

33 minutes ago, revkev said:

I use an overlapping grip just as I do right handed.  MPR I'm afraid you need to be on the sideline until that heals - there are warnings in the protocol material that tell us to stop if we get hurt.  You just need to rest it until its better and then resume. 

Sorry that you got hurt - I will often be sure in my left forum the day after a workout but it's always fine by the next day.

I actually decided to gut this week out (taking it easier on the left hand swings), but then take next week off, since I'll be spending most of the time with family anyway.

• Like 2

Full WITB with pictures

First off @KennyB , I want you to know I was nowhere near your radar, nor have I felt any malice toward it, or even had a single negative thought about it.

@GolfSpyMPR, Right handed I use a baseball style grip and use an interlocking grip left handed. For some reason, I cannot interlock or overlap right handed without it feeling uncomfortable. I do occasionally get some hand pain after swinging, but it's more in the area underneath my pinkies and the side of my hand.

I do attribute a lot of that to working on an automobile assembly line. It's a lot of repetitive actions throughout the day and it's a bit rough on the hands. I do a LOT of hand stretches.

Day 2 is finished and I didn't see as many great speeds, but they were still really good. There was this one:
20181219_185034.jpeg

That's a regular swing right handed with my heaviest club. It's only 1 mph lower than my fastest step change swing with that club.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I've developed a bit of a problem: I'm pretty sure the left-handed swings have contributed to an injury of my left hand. For the past couple of weeks, I've had a nagging pain running pretty much up the life line on the palm of my left hand. It has definitely weakened that hand; I've found it hard to grab things without pain.

Initially, I thought it might have been some hand exercises I began doing (working with this set). But I'm not experiencing the pain while doing the exercises, and it absolutely sharpens on the left-handed swings, especially with the heaviest club.

I'm an interlock grip user here. But I've found that the pain is lessened significantly going to an overlap grip. I just don't think my off-hand swing is coordinated enough, and locking the fingers together seems to be causing some action that isn't good.

My guess it may be tendonitis - I've had something similar with my left hand for a couple of years now, although it more on the back of the hand at the base of the thumb, and it I've noticed weakness like you have.  I suspect it was caused by my grip when I first started playing 3 summers ago and holding the club too tight and having the top hand mash the thumb a bit when I swung.

So far, I haven't found anything to really help it much.  I've tried one of those thumb braces they sell at CVS to rest it, hand grips like the ones you are using to strengthen it, and spoke with a physical therapist who didn't help much, but told me it's likely being caused by inflammation in my forearm muscles from swinging a golf club and suggested using a TheraBand FlexBar to strengthen them .  For the most part it's mainly just an annoyance, but I do notice when it hurts a little more, if I massage my forearm it can help a little.  Advil helps more, although I don't like to use it too much 😉  

As far as swinging, I use an overlay grip, but have switched to a baseball grip swinging lefty since I've started feeling more irritation around the left thumb and in both forearms.  I'm only on my second week of level one, so we'll see how things feel in a couple of months.  I'm also going to follow Sirchunksalot's lead and start stretching my hands more.

Edit to add something I just thought of:  it might be worth doing the hand grip exercises right after the SS swing work if you are doing them on different days - that way, you are warmed up for the grip strength training, and then have a day or two off to rest where you aren't doing either exercise.

Edited by Mike Lambert
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I haven't had any issues with pain in the palm, but I have had a little pain with my left thumb.  I have to move it off the shaft for this speed work.

For years I have used the 10 finger grip, but this last spring I switched to overlapping.  I tried interlocking with bad results; it hurt my fingers on both hands.  I guess my old fingers just don't work that way.  I found overlapping worked well, and it was also beneficial to keep a light grip with my right hand which reduced a little over-the-top move.

I would take it easy for a while to see if the pain subsides.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Here are my week 12 results.  I went through a 4-5 week plateau of similar speed levels, but in the last two weeks I have tied or set a personal best with each club.

457048361_week12results.JPG.3a3bbe2458e9f77ef158c6d460781b41.JPG

Sorry for the short post, lots of last minute shopping to do!  Merry Christmas everybody!

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: RADSPEED, Fujikura Motore 70 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black 7

@GolfSpy MPR Hi, we often see a ten finger grip work best on the left handed swings. Even the highest level tour players will sometimes use a different grip on their non dominant side. We would also recommend wearing a glove on both hands during the training. It may help for you to video your left handed swing to see if you're doing something different mechanically that is causing the issue. The left handed swings start out uncoordinated if you have never done them before but get better fairly quickly. Some coaching may be needed on those for you.

If none of those suggestions work your options would be cut out the non dominant swings or take time off from the training.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@GolfSpy MPR The left handed swings start out uncoordinated if you have never done them before but get better fairly quickly.

That's certainly true for me!  I was thinking of taping some lefty swings and submitting to America's Funniest Home Videos.  

• Like 2

Just finished my second week, not bad considering I went out twice after work this week for a few beers, something I don't usually do.  Also feeling a little sore now, figure that will wear off in another week or so as I continue.  Final 3 swings today were 102, 104, and 105.

After some swings, I feel like maybe I held back just a little...as I get more conscious of that I think it will go away.   Kind of like that tee shot on the first hole, sometime there is one too may golf thought running around in my head ;-).

image.png.c8e19e887515d4b98addfa40123897ea.png

Edited by Mike Lambert
got rid of duplicate picture
  • Like 3

Question for the group... have any of you noticed-- or utilized-- any swing or grip changes, other than what you'd normally use in your golf swing, in order to get an increased speed reading??

Part of my reason for asking is because I've been getting some strange read-outs where my non-dominant side is sometimes faster than my dominant side.  I think someone alluded to this before, asking about the possibility of getting some left-handed clubs.

Anyway, I think that using a reverse grip for my non-dominant side swings causes me, kind of naturally, to employ an earlier wrist cock.  

So, when I attempt the same thing in my dominant side swing-- and earlier wrist cock-- I'm registering some increased swing speed.  However, it's an unorthodox swing for me from what my 'normal' golf swing would be like.

Are we supposed to be maintaining our normal swing mechanics while doing the exercise or can we fudge a little bit to try to 'cheat' the system for a couple of extra MPH's???  

Pics are of non-dominant on left and dominant on the right.

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

• Like 2

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

Well, Week 12 is now in the books.  Overall, this week's max speeds have been similar to the past couple of weeks.  However, I would like to make note of an interesting observation between sessions this week.

image.png.0aa66e7275092d2a197beefbaa2dce5d.png

Sessions were Monday-Wednesday-Friday this week, and all sessions were around 10am.  I had an bad day on Wednesday; don't know why.  Speed was down; no speeds over 100.  As I said earlier, it HAS to be radar, right?.  It was a little discouraging.  

I couldn't even blame it on the weather.  Wednesday was the warmest day of the week at 48º during the protocol.  Monday and Friday were 41º and 42º.  The only difference is that on Wednesday it was cloudy and Monday and Friday were sunny.   I must like sun.

To those considering the SuperSpeed program, you will see up and down days.  Don't worry about it.  The program is long term, and while short-term trends up are nice to see, it's the long-term effects that will ultimately be important.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Calypso55 said:

Are we supposed to be maintaining our normal swing mechanics while doing the exercise or can we fudge a little bit to try to 'cheat' the system for a couple of extra MPH's???  

I'll be interested in everyone else's answers to this, but for my part, changing my swing to increase speed isn't merely not something I avoid;  it is one of the main goals I have when swinging. As I've continued in this program through the first 8 weeks or so, I've continually found small swing tweaks that add speed at the right part of the swing. This includes things like wrist hinges, fuller shoulder turns, the (obvious) weight shift, posting up stronger on my left leg at impact.

The question raised by such tweaks, of course, is whether they can be sustained playably when I have a ball I need to control. That's where those of you doing the protocols while continuing to be able to play have an advantage. I'm trying to blend both by mixing in rounds on the Optishot.

• Like 3

Full WITB with pictures

End of week 8 here for me. Brief summary, because I want to go home.

Averages on almost every weight have stayed with a 4mph range for the past four weeks.

• Green: 117–120
  • Blue: 113–116
  • Red: 106–112
  • Green (final): 123–126

I adjusted my spreadsheet to track the max speed swing with each color, like the rest of you are doing. There's obviously much more volatility in that measurement. For me, my initial green swings were down quite a bit this week, but everything else held steady.

Looking forward to taking a week off, enjoying a lot of time with my family, and getting back with a rested body (and hand) after a break.

• Like 6

Full WITB with pictures

Week 12 is officially in the books. My numbers were close to or better than previous weeks, so I'd call it a pretty good week. It was highlighted by my fastest swing to date with my heaviest club, regular swing, at 106. I did have 107 as my highest for the week, but I'm really proud of that one. I'm still struggling to top 114 as my all time high, but I'm hoping since winter shutdown started today I'll see faster swings.

20181221_192517-01.jpeg

The answer your question@Calypso55, I just try to keep it consistent. I will tweak stuff here and there to see what yields better results, but nothing extreme. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm probably the worst golfer here and I don't want to mess with what I do right. At least anything to do with SuperSpeed can't make my putting worse.

MPR, enjoy your week off from training and I hope your hand gets to feeling better.

Mike, keep up the good work and please keep us up to date on how it's going.

I'm hoping that I can get out and hit some balls while I'm off. Tennessee weather is crazy and it's turning my world into a swamp.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll be interested in everyone else's answers to this, but for my part, changing my swing to increase speed isn't merely not something I avoid;  it is one of the main goals I have when swinging. As I've continued in this program through the first 8 weeks or so, I've continually found small swing tweaks that add speed at the right part of the swing. This includes things like wrist hinges, fuller shoulder turns, the (obvious) weight shift, posting up stronger on my left leg at impact.

The question raised by such tweaks, of course, is whether they can be sustained playably when I have a ball I need to control. That's where those of you doing the protocols while continuing to be able to play have an advantage. I'm trying to blend both by mixing in rounds on the Optishot.

I think this is a good thing.  I have been going through a swing change since April anyway; not necessarily for speed, but it has helped.  After starting the SS training, I have noticed that when I make a swing like my new swing, I have more speed than when I make a swing with my old swing.  I can actually feel the difference with the SS sticks, and the radar reflects that.  I know I can do more, so I do use the training to find out what works and what doesn't.

@Calypso55 I'm not sure what you mean by "fudge a little bit to cheat the system".  I will do whatever I can to get more speed.  If a grip change makes a difference, I will do it.  I don't think it's cheating; it's just finding what works to give more speed.  Doesn't matter how you get it; what will matter is whether or not it's something that can be controlled on the course.

• Like 5