Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Good morning! My name is Steve, I'm new to the game: this is the start of my third season playing. I've definitely got the bug: I have a "range" set up on my front porch that my wife just LOVES, I try to get home from work every day for "lunch" to get some swings in. I've joined a league on Wednesday's and play at least every Sunday regardless of temperature. (yeah, I'm still that hooked.) Once the days are longer again, I'll sneak out after work as well and play 9. 

How long have you been playing golf? Start of third year. What’s your handicap or normal score? From last years league: 17

What do you love about golf? All of it! I definitely love the feel and sound of a nice, clean strike! I love walking the course on a quiet Sunday morning with my friends, and love the camaraderie that is shared regardless of skill level! 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I was snooping around the internet and stumbled across the site. Do you already know any other Spies? Nope.

Where are you from? I reside in Glyndon, MD. What is your home course? I consider my home course the Woodlands. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I'm too new to make any judgement calls, but I can say the Baltimore County Five courses are terrific and well maintained! I golfed one course in SC that was not in great shape but about 3 times the greens fees of what I'm used to in Baltimore County. 

What do you do for a living? Estimator

How’d you pick your user name? My parents chose it!

What's in my bag:

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS

3 wood: TaylorMade M2

Irons: TaylorMade Speedblades

Wedges: Cleveland CBX

Sand: Wilson Pro Staff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Howdy to all, been a site user since early 2023. Love the content and love the product reviews!!

I live in Richmond, VA, and am a member at Hermitage CC and Kinloch GC. My user name is a simple tie to Richmond and the RVA region. Fortunate to play 75-100 rounds depending on my travel schedule and carry a 6.6 index. I regularly play in Fl State Golf Assoc. and Va State Golf Assoc. tournaments throughout the year. The positive with travel is the opportunity to play around the US at great courses and connect with friends. I've been lucky enough to play 77 of the top 100 in US. Still working on the game, feeling that as I get older the short game practice pays the most dividends. I really enjoy the equipment reviews, keeping me updated on product launches, performance data, and great deals. In reality, aren't we all just a few bad rounds away from a new set of clubs?

Irons: PXG 211 irons

Driver: Callaway Rogue driver, Fuji Ventus TR Blue

Wedges: Vokey SM8 - 50, 54, 58 deg

Putter: Odyssey Works #7

"90% of putts that are short don't go in", Yogi Berra

Screenshot2024-03-04at9_39_46AM.png.445aa43d16cefc00c5d5ed1909a0fab8.png

1. How long have you been playing golf?

I started playing golf in March 2022. My son and his fellow brothers in blue invited me to go play 18 with them. My son, Bailey, told me that he thought I could play golf and not hurt that bad (joint issues). So, I went and had an amazing time. From that day, I eat, sleep, and dream golf (secondly to the things of God, of course). It changed my life in such a significant way, I no longer struggle as much with PTSD. It has filled a void and unless you are a war veteran, I can't explain it; you will just know.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?  

My HCP at the end of fall 2023 was 12 and my average score was 83. As a retired Marine, I possess the ability to go to the golf club (4 miles away) every single day to practice and/or play (as long as I have my "honey-do's" completed). That is how I was able to advance so quickly, as it relates to HCP. I work my butt off!!! However, this year it may balloon at the beginning, but settle back down, hopefully, around mid- summer. In January, I had a total knee replacement in my left knee. As of today, I can handle a full swing with 3/4 speed. I've been practicing more often each day, so maybe it will not ride too much.

3. What do you love about golf?    

I would say the first is the solitude! I truly enjoy playing by myself a lot. It gives me the chance to experience peace! I truly enjoy playing with others as well. The blessing of belonging to a private club is that you can create camaraderie among others whose game and mindset match yours. I play with a group of about 50 men every Tuesday and Thursday. We break up into groups of five and head to our designated starting hole. At the end, $$$ is exchanged. Lastly, I am becoming a golf nerd. I love learning the "science" of every aspect of the game. Currently, I am involved in course work that will grant me certification as a level 1 golf instructor! After level 1, I will go straight into level 2, and finally level 3. I love this sport!

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  

I discovered MyGolfSpy like most; I researched reviews on golf gear. I quickly discovered that MyGolfSpy reviews were not only super accurate, but also unbiased! I respect the business this entity provides! I wanted to learn more, so I joined the community. And no, I do not know any other Spies.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? 

I live in South Hill, VA and my home course is South Hill Country Club. 

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? 

The best is the lack of population. There are seven local golf courses within 30 miles. You can play on any given day at any of these courses without needing a tee time. And aside from the typical jackasses every course has, most golfers are very cordial and helpful. 

The worse is the lack of workers for these courses.  The ability to pay well just isn't there. At a few courses, around mid- August, the greens will start to suffer.

7. What do you do for a living?    

As I have already stated, I am a retired U.S. Marine. Due to service connected disabilities, I am 100% disabled. However, work at home isn't easy. My wife is a home health nurse. That means she travels across three counties here in Southern Virginia treating around 50 patients per week. When she arrives home, I do not want her to have to do anything. So, I handle the cleaning, the laundry, the dishes, the cooking, and yard work. She is a blessing to me and she deserves my very best every day!

8. How’d you pick your user name?

My user name is rather self explanatory. I love the Lord my God with all I have. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and my first passion is studying Theology and Biblical Studies! After the Marine Corps, I studied at seminary and graduated with a degree in the aforementioned disciplines. I love to teach theology, especially Reformed Theology. The second part of my name is my second passion, which I've already explained. Semper Fi!

Edited by GospelnGolf
grammar

Willie T (Gospel.n.Golf)

Callaway Epic Max LS Driver 

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL Wood 16.5°

Callaway Super Hybrid 20°

Callaway Epic 4h/5h Super Hybrids

Callaway Epic E19 (6-AW) Forged Irons

Callaway Jaws Raw 54° Wedge

Bettinardi HLX3.0 58° Wedge

Evnroll ER7v Mallet Putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

Good day all!

1. I have been playing off and on (mostly off) for 25 years. My kids are out of the house and I wanted to go back and play the game again. I am about 1 year into the project, and I am shooting in the mid-90s. I just registered with GHIN to start a true handicap.

2. I played competitive sports my entire life as a member of a team. This is the first sport I have played that is a solo venture. I love the challenge of that.

3. I love new products and product reviews. I am not good enough to take advantage of 95% of the new gear and equipment in the market, but I still love to see what is new. Keeps me interested. 

4. I live in North East, Maryland. I don't really have a home course, but the closest course to me is the Chesapeake Bay Golf Club. I am not a fan of the course only because I am a lefty and the course is built very much in a clockwise fashion with the left side of the course being OB. I can lose a lot of balls on a bad day!

5. There are a lot of course within 45 minutes of me, but only two or three within 15, and one of those courses is pretty expensive. I play with my cousin who lives an hour away, so I travel a lot to play, and I don't typically play the same course over and over. 

6. I am a VP in Land Development and In House Counsel. 

7. Just my name. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue Max D, 3 Wood: Mizuno 220, 5 Wood: Callaway Rogue Max, 3H: Mizuno HiFli, 4-PW Mizuno Pro 223, 52, 56, 60: Callaway JAWS, Putter: Odyssey Eleven Tour

Hi all.. new here, checking in from NOVA. 

How long have you been playing golf?  Casually for 20ish years What’s your handicap or normal score? Just joined the VASGA and got my first official handicap of 11

What do you love about golf? I really enjoy the casual banter and social aspects of golf.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Product reviews as I try to really improve my game Do you already know any other Spies? not currently

Where are you from? Burke, Va What is your home course? No "home course", but I play a good amount at TPC Potomac

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? best thing is the number of quality course, you can pretty much walk on any where you want to, worst thing is 

What do you do for a living? I work in sports and entertainment ticketing on the tech side

How’d you pick your user name? It's my gamer tag.. I play far too many video games

Driver - :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke TD 7.5° | UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X TSPX Black 6F5
Fairway Wood- :callaway-small: Rouge 3+ | ProjectX Evenflow Blue 6.0S
Hybrid -  :callaway-small: Rouge 19° & 21° | Aldali Synergy Blue 60S 
Irons -   :callaway-small: Apex 2014 5-Pw | TTXP95 R300
Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 52°s 56°w 60°s | TTDGTI S200
Putter -  :odyssey-small: O-Works 2-ball Red

Hey all!

I’m jay, new to the forums but have lurked for years. Finally deciding to post and get involved with the community. 

How long have you been playing golf?
I bought a cheap set in college, played a few times and put the clubs down. Picked it back up a couple years ago right after Covid and now I’m hooked.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

usually soot in the mid 90s.

What do you love about golf?

I love being outside, I love the challenge, improving my game, the technology and tinkering and the constant hunt for that one perfect shot.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Don’t know any others but I’ve always lurked on the forums for my own research. 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Albany,NY - Capital Hills

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

A lot of the public courses are not well maintained, especially the bunkers.

What do you do for a living?

Data Science. 

How’d you pick your user name?

my ig handle.

Bonus pic of when I got to play Torrey pines last year! 

1C2D48B1-9D17-4CCF-B94B-95BB91E6D462.jpeg

Driver - Titleist TSR3 Ventus Blue 6s

3w - Taylormade Sim2 Ti Tensei Blue 65r

5W - Titleist TSI2 Tensei Blue 65r

5-PW - Titleist T200/T350 Combo Set

52,56 - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter - Ping Anser 2

- I started in April 2023 so I'm still fairly new

What’s your handicap or normal score?

- Handicap is maybe a 26? Not too sure how that works but normally I shoot around 95-107

- So far I enjoy it because I can be outdoors, drink at 6:00am, and spend some quality with the boys and gals while heckling eachother. 

- I saw some good information and the forums seem fun. Plus I love reading up on clubs I may want to get and learn some more.

- From MD and the two courses I frequent would be Fairway Hills and Hobbit's Glen

- Best thing is that there is plenty around to not be bored and the people are pretty chill. Worst things would have to be the crazy DMV weather that shifts on it's own whim and the lack of night golf/Par 3's around.

- I'm a financial analyst and moonlight as an aircraft mechanic for extra cash.

- Nickname I got in the military and it stuck since. 

In The Bag 

Driver - TSI2 10.5, but just picked up a TM Qi10 LS 9 (Stiff)

3 Wood - TSI2 (Stiff)

4 Hybrid - TSI1, but just picked up a TM Qi10 Tour Hybrid (Stiff)

3 Driving Iron - Ping G410 Crossover (Stiff)

5 iron to PW - Takomo 101s (Stiff)

GW - TM MG4 (Stiff)

SW - TM MG4 (Stiff)

Putter - TM Spider GTX

36 minutes ago, KCarruthers said:

I play PXG gen 5 driver, Titleist 973 3-wood, Stealth 2 3-hybrid, 4-PW of Hogan CFT irons, Vokey wedges (52, 56, and 60), Odyssey center-shafted putter. 

Welcome to the DMV thread 😃

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Just trying to get better

Ex athlete with the Mizuno sticks and a box of stogies trying to hit some Callaways to the moon. 

The Big Stick... BOOM💥

Hey Fellow Spies,

At the end of April, two buddies and I will be taking a road trip to Nashville, TN from CT.  We're trying to make the most of our trip by hitting at least 2-3 courses over the course of a week. One leg of the trip we will be traveling through Pennsylvania, and the other leg will be through western Virginia. Just looking for feedback about must play public courses that may be along the way. All feedback is appreciated! Thanks! 

KJ

34 minutes ago, KJohns said:

Hey Fellow Spies,

At the end of April, two buddies and I will be taking a road trip to Nashville, TN from CT.  We're trying to make the most of our trip by hitting at least 2-3 courses over the course of a week. One leg of the trip we will be traveling through Pennsylvania, and the other leg will be through western Virginia. Just looking for feedback about must play public courses that may be along the way. All feedback is appreciated! Thanks! 

What part of western Virginia ?

Jnr

What's up!! I'm George from Va. The DMV/NOVA area. Travel golfer, 1 year in and played in 3 different countries and all over VA and the USA. Handicap just lowered to 16.7. Fully fitted bag. I'm addicted. Play every wekekdn and alteast 2 times a week. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• 1 year in June 2024. Just lowered from 18 to 16

• What's to not LOVE about golf? I love literally every aspect of game, I even love slow play, reflecting on my shots and strategy 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I don't know anyone, yet. I love the golfspy posts and reviews.

• Virginia. DMV/NOVA 
  • Home course: Augustine/Forest Greens

• No bad things, we get every season, rain snow, sleet, hail, humid, dry, raining for days. And I get to play in all of it!! 

• IT Government Contractor- Business/Capture Strategy 

• It was the first thing that popped in my mind. 

Just Your Average Golfer 

Im Matthew from PA. Live in the Greater Philly Area. Play at around an 8 handicap. I try to play every weekend with some workdays when the weather is nice and I can get out early.

Been playing since I was around 10 so about 21 years now.

Whats your handicap?

Stays around an 8

Its a lifetime activity that is social and in nature. Golf is always a challenge and is about improving yourself and testing yourself against the course. Its also nice to have an activity that i can play with friends/family/significant other no matter what level they are.

What brings you to golfspy?

Reviews, Articles, Equipment tests, fellow golfers

Where are you from? Home Course?

PA Greater Philly Area

I play all over

What are the best and worst things bout golf in your region?

Best: The courses in the greater philly area are some of the best in the world. So many historic and great courses to play

Worst: Winter however it seems like each year we can play a lot more

Security stuff

How did you pick the username?

Always Sunny

DR: 0311 Gen5

3w: Tsr3

3H: TSR3

Irons: z-forged blades

Wedges 52/56/60 CG1s

Putter: Newport Super Select

Long time lurker, first time poster!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing about 5 years, handicap hovers between 7-10.

What do you love about golf? Being outside. I usually walk and it's a great way to decompress.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I am definitely a tinkerer, so I always lurk the forums when looking up new equipment...figured I might as well make it official.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Northern Virginia, Belmont Country Club in Ashburn, VA

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best: A lot of people play golf. Worst: A lot of people play golf.

What do you do for a living? Software Sales and Fitness Coach!

How’d you pick your user name? Everyone spells my name with a "C" -_-

Driver/3-Wood/3H: Titleist TSR2, Tensei AV White RAW
Irons: Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, PX 6.0
52*/56*/60* Wedges: Sub 70 TAIII, PX 6.0 Wedge
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select 2.0

15 hours ago, erikwithak said:

Long time lurker, first time poster!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing about 5 years, handicap hovers between 7-10.

What do you love about golf? Being outside. I usually walk and it's a great way to decompress.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I am definitely a tinkerer, so I always lurk the forums when looking up new equipment...figured I might as well make it official.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Northern Virginia, Belmont Country Club in Ashburn, VA

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best: A lot of people play golf. Worst: A lot of people play golf.

What do you do for a living? Software Sales and Fitness Coach!

How’d you pick your user name? Everyone spells my name with a "C" -_-

Welcome to MGS!  

I'm in your neck of the woods ...  Leesburg.  Lemme know when you can get me on Belmont.  😉  I'm 10 minutes from Raspberry Falls 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Howdy Everyone! Tuning in from beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia. Long time listener, first time caller! Hoping to find a home with like minded people because as we all know, making friends as an adult is hard, and being military, leaving them every 2-3 years is even harder! Married with 2 little boys at home (2.5yo and 6mo) so time is limited these days for golfing, but i get out as much as time allows.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

First got a poke at the sticks in 2015 during my senior year at college (USNA) as a PE course. Have played off and on since then. I've gotten my handicap as low as 18 when I'm playing consistently, otherwise i hover between a 22 and 25.

More than anything, being outside, walking the course with a drink or 2 and being able to escape all of life's stressors for a little while. And then watching all that go downhill as soon as I step up to the 1st Tee Box.

I've been an avid reader of the main site for a while, love the constant stream of content to keep me occupied at work. Have always love the testers wanted articles of real people, giving real opinions. Figured I'd make my forum entrance official and maybe I can help provide some content for others as well. I don't find my opinions very interesting, but hey, maybe someone else will.

Originally from Los Angeles, CA but the military has taken me all over the country. Annapolis MD, Pensacola FL, Jacksonville FL, Whidbey Island WA, and currently Virginia Beach, VA. Plenty of courses here to choose from, but Sewell's Point Golf Course (military) would be my home course, considering I can see hole 5 from my desk at work. 

The worst thing by far about golf here is the summers are 90+ and humid and the winters are regularly 30s and windy, meaning there's really only a couple of prime golfing months. Spring golf is prime, as long as you don't mind the pollen. Best part about golf here is my home course charges 13$ to walk 9 holes, which is the perfect afternoon snack between finishing work and going home.

Naval Flight Officer (back seater) by trade with experience in the P3 and P8, with a deployment in each of them. Plenty of war stories (lol) to share of a couple of drinks. Currently working in Test and Evaluation as part of DoD Acquisitions. Getting out of the military early CY25 and looking at getting into Project Management.  

3 Guesses, first guess doesn't count.

image.png.695997e0ab2d273d1e9a6d9a59693008.pngWhat's In The Bag:

Bag:  image.png.2ec6ba172a80fb70c3708a3565225509.png 2019 Fusion 14 Stand Bag                                                            Push Cart Mafia: image.png.b59a1c1a2ab63e23e9cfc08d20037566.png 3-Wheel Golf Cart

Driver: image.png.c69fcd36742a959ebcefd6b193dfe9d7.png Rogue Draw 2018, w/ Project X EvenFlow Blue 65 Stiff               Wood: image.png.4bd79af128a2fd5e2627a0ebf39a9407.png Rogue 2018 3 Wood, w/ Project X EvenFlow Blue 65 Stiff

Hybrid: image.png.d99fef9be797b93aaa3ffa0c7d2553ed.png Rogue 2018 4 Hybrid, w/ Project X EvenFlow Black 75 Stiff        Irons: 4-PW, AW image.png.79b607903de2cce2fc91afb095f7d402.png Rogue Pro Irons, w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff

Wedges: Bombtech 56*, image.png.6bd1330c167d3701de09916004f72f92.png Mack Daddy 3 60*                                            Putter:  image.png.5a43fcf6c6d0f6b43357ce870ae1e69a.png Triple Track Ten, Incoming: image.png.6f232d68128a0864f020965748b290ba.png DF3, Green 66*/35

Balls: Kirkland V3 Yellows                                                                           Tech: Garmin Approach S70

I've been playing for over 20 years.  I took a break from the game when my father passed 12 years ago.  I started playing seriously in 2022 again when my son showed some interest in the game.  He is now on his school's golf team and improving every day.  I currently am about an 8 handicap but always searching to make it to scratch.

Truly everything about the game.  My profile picture is that of our reception after getting married, which happened to be on a golf course!  Some of my greatest memories were breaking the silence on a golf course ( Hitting the first tee shot with the first starting time)  There is nothing like it, slight fog settling in the mountain valleys and hitting that pure first tee shot.  Mainly I love sharing the game with my son and starting my two younger daughters in the game.  The memory of watching my father wrap a 6 iron around a tree on our Myrtle Beach golf trip on the first day cause he wouldn't take an unplayable lie (he never did).  Then that same shot that landed 6' from 180 yards out.  That one amazing shot is worth it all.

The reviews are my go-to.  When searching out equipment from push carts, golf bags, and of course balls.  There is a lot of useful information to take in.  I rely on MyGolfSpy for my research.

Originally I resided in the Piedmont Triad area in North Carolina.  I now live in the SW portion of VA.  My local course is a short tight course that focuses on placement rather than length (although that helps a bit too).  Some of the best times were made in the Myrtle Beach area and during the father-son golf tourney.

Temps and the Temps.  Summer months never get too hot while the humidity stays relatively calm.  However, when it's cold, it's 25 with 20mph winds.  Playing golf in the small mountainous region can create some remarkable views and challenging holes.  Walking can become difficult on certain courses as I age, but something I still very much enjoy from time to time.

I'm fortunate enough to work from home in technical support.  Before this position, I traveled around repairing medical equipment.  I took this position to keep close to home and spend more time with my family, the best decision I've ever made.  I spent a lot of time traveling and being in hotels, missed a couple of ball games, and dance recitals, and had enough.  Now I get to hug my kids every day.

NotScratchYet, lol.  One day, hopefully soon.  I have made drastic changes which hopefully pay off this season.  My first time out this year I shot a 3 over 75.  If I can dial in my putting a bit more I should be closer.  I was the young kid who would spend every night at the driving range smashing golf balls, asking questions, and learning as much as I could.  I tried to copy swings and fix my biggest flaws.  As I have matured I realized to make my swing my own and tweak it as necessary.  Once I did that I stayed more consistent and the scores started to show, but I'm still not a scratch golfer yet.

Driver: Callaway Epic

Irons: 4-PW Callaway Apex 

Wedges: 1 Vokey in 52, 1 Callaway in 60, and a Callaway in 56

Putter:  All over the place, Titleist SC Circa 62 model 3 mostly in the bag.

22 hours ago, Dan1993 said:

Howdy Everyone! Tuning in from beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia. Long time listener, first time caller! Hoping to find a home with like minded people because as we all know, making friends as an adult is hard, and being military, leaving them every 2-3 years is even harder! Married with 2 little boys at home (2.5yo and 6mo) so time is limited these days for golfing, but i get out as much as time allows.

First got a poke at the sticks in 2015 during my senior year at college (USNA) as a PE course. Have played off and on since then. I've gotten my handicap as low as 18 when I'm playing consistently, otherwise i hover between a 22 and 25.

More than anything, being outside, walking the course with a drink or 2 and being able to escape all of life's stressors for a little while. And then watching all that go downhill as soon as I step up to the 1st Tee Box.

I've been an avid reader of the main site for a while, love the constant stream of content to keep me occupied at work. Have always love the testers wanted articles of real people, giving real opinions. Figured I'd make my forum entrance official and maybe I can help provide some content for others as well. I don't find my opinions very interesting, but hey, maybe someone else will.

Originally from Los Angeles, CA but the military has taken me all over the country. Annapolis MD, Pensacola FL, Jacksonville FL, Whidbey Island WA, and currently Virginia Beach, VA. Plenty of courses here to choose from, but Sewell's Point Golf Course (military) would be my home course, considering I can see hole 5 from my desk at work. 

The worst thing by far about golf here is the summers are 90+ and humid and the winters are regularly 30s and windy, meaning there's really only a couple of prime golfing months. Spring golf is prime, as long as you don't mind the pollen. Best part about golf here is my home course charges 13$ to walk 9 holes, which is the perfect afternoon snack between finishing work and going home.

Naval Flight Officer (back seater) by trade with experience in the P3 and P8, with a deployment in each of them. Plenty of war stories (lol) to share of a couple of drinks. Currently working in Test and Evaluation as part of DoD Acquisitions. Getting out of the military early CY25 and looking at getting into Project Management.  

3 Guesses, first guess doesn't count.

Welcome! Hopefully get to see you on course someday being your fairly local

1 hour ago, NotScratchYet said:

I've been playing for over 20 years.  I took a break from the game when my father passed 12 years ago.  I started playing seriously in 2022 again when my son showed some interest in the game.  He is now on his school's golf team and improving every day.  I currently am about an 8 handicap but always searching to make it to scratch.

Truly everything about the game.  My profile picture is that of our reception after getting married, which happened to be on a golf course!  Some of my greatest memories were breaking the silence on a golf course ( Hitting the first tee shot with the first starting time)  There is nothing like it, slight fog settling in the mountain valleys and hitting that pure first tee shot.  Mainly I love sharing the game with my son and starting my two younger daughters in the game.  The memory of watching my father wrap a 6 iron around a tree on our Myrtle Beach golf trip on the first day cause he wouldn't take an unplayable lie (he never did).  Then that same shot that landed 6' from 180 yards out.  That one amazing shot is worth it all.

The reviews are my go-to.  When searching out equipment from push carts, golf bags, and of course balls.  There is a lot of useful information to take in.  I rely on MyGolfSpy for my research.

Originally I resided in the Piedmont Triad area in North Carolina.  I now live in the SW portion of VA.  My local course is a short tight course that focuses on placement rather than length (although that helps a bit too).  Some of the best times were made in the Myrtle Beach area and during the father-son golf tourney.

Temps and the Temps.  Summer months never get too hot while the humidity stays relatively calm.  However, when it's cold, it's 25 with 20mph winds.  Playing golf in the small mountainous region can create some remarkable views and challenging holes.  Walking can become difficult on certain courses as I age, but something I still very much enjoy from time to time.

I'm fortunate enough to work from home in technical support.  Before this position, I traveled around repairing medical equipment.  I took this position to keep close to home and spend more time with my family, the best decision I've ever made.  I spent a lot of time traveling and being in hotels, missed a couple of ball games, and dance recitals, and had enough.  Now I get to hug my kids every day.

NotScratchYet, lol.  One day, hopefully soon.  I have made drastic changes which hopefully pay off this season.  My first time out this year I shot a 3 over 75.  If I can dial in my putting a bit more I should be closer.  I was the young kid who would spend every night at the driving range smashing golf balls, asking questions, and learning as much as I could.  I tried to copy swings and fix my biggest flaws.  As I have matured I realized to make my swing my own and tweak it as necessary.  Once I did that I stayed more consistent and the scores started to show, but I'm still not a scratch golfer yet.

Welcome! Another Virginia player is always awesome!

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 55 S 12*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65 S 22*

IRONS MIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

2 minutes ago, JAYER38 said:

Welcome! Hopefully get to see you on course someday being your fairly local

Absolutely! Trying to get out more often now that the weather is finally turning

image.png.695997e0ab2d273d1e9a6d9a59693008.pngWhat's In The Bag:

Bag:  image.png.2ec6ba172a80fb70c3708a3565225509.png 2019 Fusion 14 Stand Bag                                                            Push Cart Mafia: image.png.b59a1c1a2ab63e23e9cfc08d20037566.png 3-Wheel Golf Cart

Driver: image.png.c69fcd36742a959ebcefd6b193dfe9d7.png Rogue Draw 2018, w/ Project X EvenFlow Blue 65 Stiff               Wood: image.png.4bd79af128a2fd5e2627a0ebf39a9407.png Rogue 2018 3 Wood, w/ Project X EvenFlow Blue 65 Stiff

Hybrid: image.png.d99fef9be797b93aaa3ffa0c7d2553ed.png Rogue 2018 4 Hybrid, w/ Project X EvenFlow Black 75 Stiff        Irons: 4-PW, AW image.png.79b607903de2cce2fc91afb095f7d402.png Rogue Pro Irons, w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff

Wedges: Bombtech 56*, image.png.6bd1330c167d3701de09916004f72f92.png Mack Daddy 3 60*                                            Putter:  image.png.5a43fcf6c6d0f6b43357ce870ae1e69a.png Triple Track Ten, Incoming: image.png.6f232d68128a0864f020965748b290ba.png DF3, Green 66*/35

Balls: Kirkland V3 Yellows                                                                           Tech: Garmin Approach S70

I made a post for the upcoming Upper Deck Golf at the Linc in Philly, anyone going or experienced this before? I'd appreciate anyone who knows anything to head over and let me know what you thought about it.

Ian Lydon

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5

3W: Cobra LTDx

3H: Callaway XR 16 Pro

Irons: Titleist T100 (2023) PW-6, Titleist T200 (2023) 5-4

Wedges: Sub 70 (52 and 58 Tester)

Putter: Ping Anser G2

17 hours ago, NotScratchYet said:

Welcome aboard, what courses do you play out here in the mountains?

Jnr

20 minutes ago, unccross said:

Welcome aboard, what courses do you play out here in the mountains?

Appreciate it, sir.  I play Wythe Country Club (small course), The River Course (Pete Dye), and Holston Hills mainly, but looking to expand a little further out this year.

15 minutes ago, NotScratchYet said:

Appreciate it, sir.  I play Wythe Country Club (small course), The River Course (Pete Dye), and Holston Hills mainly, but looking to expand a little further out this year.

I’ve played wytheville a few times, where I used to work we had an annual tournament there a few times, also played a few captains choice at Holstein hills  I live at the river course, but yet to play it, I just started playing again after 12 years off. I play at Blue Ridge 

Jnr

5 minutes ago, unccross said:

I’ve played wytheville a few times, where I used to work we had an annual tournament there a few times, also played a few captains choice at Holstein hills  I live at the river course, but yet to play it, I just started playing again after 12 years off. I play at Blue Ridge 

Nice, that river course is beautiful.  I made the mistake of playing from the maroon tees my first time out.  I'll have to check our Blue Ridge.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s  normal handicap or normal score?  In the mid 90’s. 
  2. What do you love about golf?  The focus and concentration. It’s cathartic in its own way. 
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Great reviews. I love the data focused approach. Other spies - my son, Hunter. 
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Virginia.   Home purse is probably Greendale. 
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best - great public courses. Worst.  Cost can be high. 
  6. What do you do for a living? Engineer. 
  7. How’d you pick your user name?  Nickname my BIL gave me  over 20 years ago when I lived in Hawaii. 

Cheers

Hey spies!

I caught the bug last summer, have been obsessed with improving my game for the last six months and eager to get the season started.

I'm Jersey city based, new to this site, finishing up a winter training program at galloping hill learning center in the next few weeks. Picked up a membership to Hudson golf simulator during the winter which has been fun as well.

playing Sunset valley tomorrow, first round of the season let’s go!!

I’m an engineering manager for a software company when I’m not swinging a club, also love pickleball!

Sim max irons

Mavrik off the tee