tony@CIC

Best Equipment purchase you've made?

Callaway Steelhead 4+

Sits well, amazing sound of the face and flies further than my driver with a breeze behind.

Like @russtopherb I should use it off every par 4 and 5 tee especially on shorter courses.

It's my Henrik Stenson 3 wood equivalent.

• Like 2

there was no SHOCK HORROR SCARY emoji in the reaction list.
Obviously you weren't shot but OMG, all for some clubs in a car. Did they get the perps eventually?

Sadly no one was caught but fortunately USAA reimbursed me 100%

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

It's seems like a stupid little thing but this is great for marking a nice putting alignment line on your ball. 

Golf Tool.JPG

• Like 3

I have two: the first was not purchased by me though - a junior set of clubs my dad got me when I was ~12. Instant improvements from the MacGregor blades from the 70s that he had cut down and re-gripped for me (I still shudder at the thought of thinning that 3 iron on cold nights at the driving range), and these babies got me hooked on the game & stayed with me for 6 years until I scrounged up the money to buy a used set of adult size DCIs. 

The best purchase I made was an ebay special in 2016: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood that I had refurbished by BOS Golf. It got me down into single digit HC range and will never leave my golf bag, except when I send it back to BOS to refinish it again in another year or two.

Scotty 2.JPG

Scotty 1.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 10:16 AM, PlaidJacket said:

I'm going to say the Shotmaker insert.

https://mygolfspy.com/harrison-shotmaker-review/

I've just had an email exchange with Michael Chang - the Shotmaker guy. He says they've moved on to "other things". So, sounds like a great golf invention is no more. I'm guessing the result of poor marketing = low sales.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, russtopherb said:

Callaway Heavenwood. There's just something about it that works for my swing, either off the tee or the deck. If I was smart, I'd use it as my tee club on par 4s & 5s and I'm betting my handicap would plummet as a result. 

I have the same club. It is awesome!

• Like 1

I would say any of the equipment I have purchased from a top notch fitter.  Not all fitters are created equal.  I have done a couple fittings over the years with Bill at Cool Clubs in Atlanta.  The guys knows the golf swing and equipment.  The one piece of equipment I would say that had the most impact on my game was a custom fit putter (Scotty Newport 2).  It dropped 4 off of my handicap.    

Ping Zing 2 irons in 1993 or 1994. Immediately improved my game!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YES!! Those were the first clubs I REALLY longed for and man were they sweet. I had the distinct feeling I was cheating :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

What a great thread - it's a trip down memory lane! I have 3: 1) Mizuno MP 14's - I loved those clubs so much and hit till thr chrome came off; 2) Taylormade R7 425 TP with Matrix Altus LT - seriously the best driver EVER!; 3) My current 2 Crossover - what a great club - it is really long but so workable - big fan. It was really hard to narrow this down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

The best clubs I have purchased in the last 5 years set

of 1988 ping eye2 woods driver , 3, 5, 7 woods

i am a  49 years of age , 9 handicap

these clubs for me have a more consistent shot shape that I can count on. My modern callaway flash driver I have misses in both detections. I can hit modern equipment about 10 yards farther but have no confidence in were it is going.

carry on the callaway is about 255 ten yard roll for total 265

ping is carry around 225  30 yards roll  total 255

average drive around is 230 yards

drivers max 255 yards ave 230

3 wood max 230 ave 215

5 wood max 215 ave 200

7 wood max 195 ave 180

ball  Wilson duo 

with these clubs I can hit it as hard as I want and draw the ball or fade it with no worries. 

I play courses between 5900 to 6300 yards no problem

wish I went back to wooden clubs years ago.

shot 77 yesterday at Belmont recreational golf course / formally hermitage country club site of the 1949 PGA from the tips 6300 yards

Modern driver to light to shaft to long and to inconsistent 

abolutely love ove my ping eye2 woods 

Edited by Kenneth mcdaniel
  • Like 1

I'm going with my entire current set. This is the first set of clubs I was completely fitted for and they are seem to fit my game so well.

• Like 1

Right now it is a tie between the Vokey SM7 D grind, the Titleist 818 H2 hybrid, and Ping G410 LST 3W currently in my bag.

Though I have a feeling I might have to update this post in a few weeks once I get my new irons...

• Like 2

I have two things, my Sun Mountain four5 bag with the 14 way divider and my neoprene iron head covers.

I can be very anal about some things and bag organization is one of them.  I use extra wrapped oversized grips and this bag works great for them.

Also hate the sound of the irons clanging while I walk.  The neoprene head covers solve the problem while being easy to use.  I know almost all golfers hate iron head covers but it saves my sanity.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:11 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

Callaway Steelhead 4+

Sits well, amazing sound of the face and flies further than my driver with a breeze behind.

Like @russtopherb I should use it off every par 4 and 5 tee especially on shorter courses.

It's my Henrik Stenson 3 wood equivalent.

I love these things!  I had one (heavenwood) and I should have never sold it!  I hit it well and straight.  I might have to pick up a 3+ and use it for a driver replacement.  

For me, I figured out I needed a face balanced putter and got a Rife Barbados and my putting has never been better!

My beloved, still in the bag, Original Tour Edge Exotics 22* IronWood. Came with an NVS shaft upgrade--$ 30 on ebay! I use it off the tee, the ground and it's fantastic for chipping! It's my version of Mark Crossfield's Rinky Dink.

• Like 2

A seat for my clicgear. My best purchase this year. A must for those slow afternoon rounds at my local munis.