Dinged ball performance.

bens197

There are two events during a round where I will swap out a ball for a new one. I’ve made a habit of always replacing a ball after a birdie or better with a new one.

The second is when it becomes scuffed by a tree or a cart path.

Without any scientific proof, my hunch would be that any physical change to a ball would effect flight and spin...how much however is still a question.

How many of you continue to play a urethane ball after any physical changes and has it offered any significant change to your play?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

14 minutes ago, bens197 said:

There are two events during a round where I will swap out a ball for a new one. I’ve made a habit of always replacing a ball after a birdie or better with a new one.

The second is when it becomes scuffed by a tree or a cart path.

Without any scientific proof, my hunch would be that any physical change to a ball would effect flight and spin...how much however is still a question.

How many of you continue to play a urethane ball after any physical changes and has it offered any significant change to your play?

Perhaps I'm just remembering wrong, but I thought the MGS team addressed the impact of physical damage in the ball test. Basically, anything more than paint imperfections has the potential to detrimentally impact performance. That said, sometimes a ball will hit a tree or cart path leaving a brown mark, but no abrasions. I don't see anything wrong with playing a ball in this condition. If data suggests otherwise though, I will certainly follow suit.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

If I'm playing a "fun round", I will continue to play a ball that has hit a tree or cart path as long as the ball is not showing significant damage.  Maybe with higher swing speeds than mine, there might be a noticeable performance change, but I haven't seen any reason to not play them.  I will usually relegate it to holes that have a water hazard; there are five holes on my course with water in play, but I rarely lose a ball anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I'm playing a "fun round", I will continue to play a ball that has hit a tree or cart path as long as the ball is not showing significant damage.  Maybe with higher swing speeds than mine, there might be a noticeable performance change, but I haven't seen any reason to not play them.  I will usually relegate it to holes that have a water hazard; there are five holes on my course with water in play, but I rarely lose a ball anyway.

What brought this up was a shot yesterday. It caught a limb and the only issue was a slight discoloration but no significant trauma. It didn’t appear to change the performance but I would be interested to see if that’s actually true.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Perhaps I'm just remembering wrong, but I thought the MGS team addressed the impact of physical damage in the ball test. Basically, anything more than paint imperfections has the potential to detrimentally impact performance. That said, sometimes a ball will hit a tree or cart path leaving a brown mark, but no abrasions. I don't see anything wrong with playing a ball in this condition. If data suggests otherwise though, I will certainly follow suit.

I’m trying to remember as well. In the interim I hoped some could chime in with their personal bias or beliefs.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I'll play scuffed balls when I'm out by myself but never in league. On water holes I'll always break out a new ball - just the superstition I have. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I'll play scuffed balls when I'm out by myself but never in league. On water holes I'll always break out a new ball - just the superstition I have. 

My superstition is to NEVER play a new ball off the first tee; I wait for the 2nd hole.  Too many times I've lost the ball off the tee, hit a tree, or hit a cart path; I don't care how wide the fairway is.  And most rounds I rarely miss a fairway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My superstition is to NEVER play a new ball off the first tee; I wait for the 2nd hole.  Too many times I've lost the ball off the tee, hit a tree, or hit a cart path; I don't care how wide the fairway is.  And most rounds I rarely miss a fairway.

That’s amazing. I love it.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 6/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, Kenny B said:

That is one of the worst things on the golf course, new ball in the first tee, hit first stroke, and first lost ball with 1 swing. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind