What makes a good Club Professional??

Our Sponsors

The club pro at my course has been with the course for since the 1976. He greets every person that walks in with a smile and upbeat attitude whether they are long time members or a public player he has never seen before. He organizes and plays in events and is out there setting the course up and organizing the event. 

I stopped in today to say hey and he was there on his day off dropping off his cart for his wife fir ladies club. He took the time to step outside to work with a guy on his chipping who approached  him for a tip. 

He is what every assistant that has stepped through those doors and who has worked for him strives to be.  

He loves his job and has a knack to relate to and work with all personalities. 

He is loved so much that the club made him a life long member whenever he decides to retire. 

One of the best tips ever given to me was from him. It may sound odd but I think of it every round. " Find a way to make par'".

• Like 6

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 1/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, BIG STU said:

Indigo Creek in Murrells Inlet--- If you do not hook up with me tell them I sent you--- And no it will not get you thrown out---- But I will tell you they do not know what a stranger is there they will treat you as good as anyone else. Our fellow spy John Smalls has been there with me

I have actually played there. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

On 1/14/2021 at 12:34 PM, BIG STU said:

Well said my old man was a people person. He ran a 9 hole regulation and a 9 hole Par 3 course. I can tell you many examples of how he was successful. I can remember in the early days we had limited carts and sometimes folks had to wait for one to come in. He would tell those waiting to play the par 3 on him and when a cart came in we would come get them. He would send me down with the cart after I put their bags on and they rode up and I walked up. Our driving range was impractable because it was a 1/2 mile down the road and you had to get on the main road to access. When he sold beginner sets he threw in about 20 lake balls and a hand full of tees also gave away free range tickets. He also had a buy back thing where if one upgraded they got top dollar for the beginner set on trade in. Lots of times the beginner set would be resold or put over in the rental clubs. He believed in customer service--- But he would not take any crap. If someone misbehaved he would tell them of it and not to do it again--- 2nd time you were out of there period banned

question: what makes a good club professional?

answer: they’re @BIG STU’s dad 😂

your old man sounds like a great guy, Stu. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

IMG_1260.jpg.08b3c82077841d575549e6cfd6fff4f8.jpg

Man that is an old picture of hole #14--- It just says 14 on the bank now. LOL used to clear that trap on the left from the back tees with a persimmon driver. I had to stay left then because I could hit in the water straight away on the right.  That was 21 years ago. Now days ( before my accident) I can hit it down half way beside the trap with a metal driver from the senior tees. These days I play it more right because I can not hit the water straight away to the right. But the left side is the shortest route.  3 shot hole for me these days.

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

23 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

question: what makes a good club professional?

answer: they’re @BIG STU’s dad 😂

your old man sounds like a great guy, Stu. 

He was but like everyone else he had some paticular ways especially on how to play the game. On golf his philosophy was "his way or no way"

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Man that is an old picture of hole #14--- It just says 14 on the bank now. LOL used to clear that trap on the left from the back tees with a persimmon driver. I had to stay left then because I could hit in the water straight away on the right.  That was 21 years ago. Now days ( before my accident) I can hit it down half way beside the trap with a metal driver from the senior tees. These days I play it more right because I can not hit the water straight away to the right. But the left side is the shortest route.  3 shot hole for me these days.

I think that scorecard is from 2000.   I have the yardage book as well.  It's 270 to clear the bunker from the back tees. Thats a poke with persimmon woods.

My wife got me a leather photo type album designed for golfers. Cover is embossed with a golfer and a heading "Golf Memories of Tom"  I keep photos, scorecards, and yardage books. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

IMG_1260.jpg.08b3c82077841d575549e6cfd6fff4f8.jpg

The course looks familiar, but I can't remember if I've played it or not, or if it was called by another name back then.  In the early 90s, I played a LOT of golf from Charleston to Myrtle Bch.  A bunch of us had the American Cancer cards that allowed you to play every public course in the state (and some semi and private courses) twice for the cost of 1/2 golf cart fee and no greens fees.  Every Thursday, about 20 of us would play 1 or 2 courses.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

One that does not ask what your problem is but watches you swing and then outlines a solution to what he has identified.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

9 hours ago, CarlH said:

The course looks familiar, but I can't remember if I've played it or not, or if it was called by another name back then.  In the early 90s, I played a LOT of golf from Charleston to Myrtle Bch.  A bunch of us had the American Cancer cards that allowed you to play every public course in the state (and some semi and private courses) twice for the cost of 1/2 golf cart fee and no greens fees.  Every Thursday, about 20 of us would play 1 or 2 courses.

As far as I know it has always been Indigo Creek----  Notice when Tom posted it was Indigo Creek Golf Club-------- When they started building houses around it it became Indigo Creek Golf Plantation----- A couple of years ago for political reasons the Plantation part was dropped. It is just plain ole Indigo Creek Community now. Actually there have been some changes course wise since 2000--- They have taken out some bunkers for maintenance reasons and to make the course more playable for the average Joe

• Like 1

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies