Jump to content
Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

Mike Whan - new USGA CEO


tony@CIC

Recommended Posts

I'm surprised there isn't much commentary of Whan and his new job. BTW, I thought he did a great job as LPGA Commissioner.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect him to be a lot better than Davis and maybe we stop seeing the USGA get in it’s own way

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I expect him to be a lot better than Davis and maybe we stop seeing the USGA get in it’s own way

Agreed!!  It seemed like Davis and the USGA were like a referee adversely affecting the outcome of a game.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, by all accounts, this should be a winning hire. I think most of us think of the USGA only a few times a year: when they've botched a US Open setup and when they've made the wrong decision (whichever is the wrong decision) on the distance/rollback debate. They likely didn't need a CEO whose expertise is in rules and setup. Instead, they needed a guy who knows how to manage relationships, not just in the sport, but with the public. Whan's track record with the LPGA over the years was nearly impeccable in that regard.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yeah, by all accounts, this should be a winning hire. I think most of us think of the USGA only a few times a year: when they've botched a US Open setup and when they've made the wrong decision (whichever is the wrong decision) on the distance/rollback debate. They likely didn't need a CEO whose expertise is in rules and setup. Instead, they needed a guy who knows how to manage relationships, not just in the sport, but with the public. Whan's track record with the LPGA over the years was nearly impeccable in that regard.

Whan has the out of the box thinking that IMO the USGA needs. What he did with the LPGA shows he has the know how for growing the game the right way

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with all that has been posted so far--- I think he will be good for the USGA. I think he is open minded and broad minded enough to be good. They needed someone. The USGA had became too much like a Mule with binders on and too autocratic. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

 

 

 G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed that it certainly does seem that Mike did one heckuva job with the LPGA. My hope is that he keeps the USGA on an even keel and not get "influenced" by the team that sets up their US Opens.

 

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome news but confusing.  I thought I'd heard he was leaving the LPGA for more time with family?  Jumping into the USGA, at present time in particular, seems to make that reason challenging to say the least.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome news but confusing.  I thought I'd heard he was leaving the LPGA for more time with family?  Jumping into the USGA, at present time in particular, seems to make that reason challenging to say the least.


It’s the favorite go to excuse either for an I’m done here or we would like you to move on person in leadership. I’m pretty sure it was the former.

I could picture him wanting to take time with family with a plan to jump back into the right place after a while - this while was probably much shorter than anticipated. Clearly he loves a challenge.

Great hire on the USGAs part if they truly do let him do his thing.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, revkev said:

 


It’s the favorite go to excuse either for an I’m done here or we would like you to move on person in leadership. I’m pretty sure it was the former.

I could picture him wanting to take time with family with a plan to jump back into the right place after a while - this while was probably much shorter than anticipated. Clearly he loves a challenge.

Great hire on the USGAs part if they truly do let him do his thing.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

Yes, no doubt the USGA made, arguably, the best decision they have in quite some time.  I'll go as far as to say he turns this distance mess back into a non-issue - or at the least with little angst from both player and supplier communities.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'll go as far as to say he turns this distance mess back into a non-issue - or at the least with little angst from both player and supplier communities.

My guess is that the Distance Insights project will continue, along the lines of the recent release from the USGA/R&A.  I do believe that Whan will look at the data and the evaluations with a more open mind than Mike Davis, who seemingly came to a conclusion before the data was assembled.  That doesn't mean that the end result will be "no action", simply that the end result will probably be more reasonable than it otherwise might have been.  

After a couple of "likes" I'm adding some clarification. The results of the distance insight stuff may be exactly the same as would have happened if Davis had stayed in the job.  But whatever happens will be more readily accepted as being logical and productive, simply because of the different image we all have of Mr. Whan.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2021 at 10:54 AM, DaveP043 said:

My guess is that the Distance Insights project will continue, along the lines of the recent release from the USGA/R&A.  I do believe that Whan will look at the data and the evaluations with a more open mind than Mike Davis, who seemingly came to a conclusion before the data was assembled.  That doesn't mean that the end result will be "no action", simply that the end result will probably be more reasonable than it otherwise might have been.  

After a couple of "likes" I'm adding some clarification. The results of the distance insight stuff may be exactly the same as would have happened if Davis had stayed in the job.  But whatever happens will be more readily accepted as being logical and productive, simply because of the different image we all have of Mr. Whan.

I agree with your last part. I didn't see Mike Davis pushing an agenda with the distance issue. The USGA has been slow and methodical on the issue under his leadership. But he has become such a criticized figure that whatever they do under Whan will be more accepted than if Davis was still there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, LICC said:

I didn't see Mike Davis pushing an agenda with the distance issue.

Davis has been pretty outspoken over a few years about his opinion that distance needs to be reduced.  I have no idea how much influence he exerted over the Distance Insights process, none of us are on the inside, we simply don't know.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...