Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

I've Fallen in Love with the G20's.

Tristan777

I had a chance to demo the new Ping G20's at my local indoor golf instruction store. After about 200 balls, I was averaging 190 with my 7 iron with the furthest going 210. These irons are extremely forgiving, I hit one right off the hosel and it went straight (but short). They have great feel and sound, and if you can get over the looks if you're a traditional person, I think you'd love them too. I'll definitely be picking up a set of these sometime around Christmas!

Rest is Rust

and if you can get over the looks if you're a traditional person, I think you'd love them too.

Meaning they look like shovels? :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

After about 200 balls, I was averaging 190 with my 7 iron with the furthest going 210.

The loft of the G20 7i is 32 degrees which is very close to the 6i loft of a standard set. I wish all the OEMs would quit "jacking up" the lofts so much. I'm not sure that any amateur golfer needs to be hitting their seven iron 190-210 yards. A lot of the PGA players don't hit their seven iron that far. I had this problem with my Cobra S2s, my average drive is about 290-310 which meant that I rarely ever hit any of my irons or PW (because I hit their 42 degree PW about 160 yards). I just feel that the OEMs push distance too much. I suppose this makes sense with drivers, fairway woods and maybe even hybrids, but I would prefer to have consistency and control with my irons.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

• SPY VIP

The loft of the G20 7i is 32 degrees which is very close to the 6i loft of a standard set. I wish all the OEMs would quit "jacking up" the lofts so much. I'm not sure that any amateur golfer needs to be hitting their seven iron 190-210 yards. A lot of the PGA players don't hit their seven iron that far. I had this problem with my Cobra S2s, my average drive is about 290-310 which meant that I rarely ever hit any of my irons or PW (because I hit their 42 degree PW about 160 yards). I just feel that the OEMs push distance too much. I suppose this makes sense with drivers, fairway woods and maybe even hybrids, but I would prefer to have consistency and control with my irons.

I couldn't agree more. What ends up happening is you create gaps with your scoring clubs (which is really the last place you want it). A lot of the newer sets now include a GW, which where loft is concerned, is basically a pitching wedge, and so you end up needing a 2nd gap wedge to fill the gap between your gap and sand wedges. It doesn't make any damn sense.

I can't say it enough - Iron distance is largely inconsequential. There's a reason why we all carry 6-9 of them. A

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Well what I might do is keep my scoring clubs, for me the 7-LW, as my S59s and have the rest as G20's but I'm still unsure. My 7i with the S59's right now is 170-180 so it's really not a giant leap. That 210 shot was a single shot, the only one that broke 195 in fact.

Rest is Rust

Well what I might do is keep my scoring clubs, for me the 7-LW, as my S59s and have the rest as G20's but I'm still unsure. My 7i with the S59's right now is 170-180 so it's really not a giant leap. That 210 shot was a single shot, the only one that broke 195 in fact.

I like the idea of creating a composite set with more forgiving long irons and more consistant and workable scoring clubs. You will still have the issue of a gap, but this will move the gap into the longer irons instead of in the middle of your scoring clubs. Glad you found a set of clubs that work well for you.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

+1.

I find it hard to believe that people haven't caught on to this game. What's the next step, selling us sets that go 5-PW with 2 gap wedges, that are still the same lofts as the current 4-GW or the old 3-PW? It's so dumb.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

+1.

I find it hard to believe that people haven't caught on to this game. What's the next step, selling us sets that go 5-PW with 2 gap wedges, that are still the same lofts as the current 4-GW or the old 3-PW? It's so dumb.

I play Wilson/Staff irons (Ci7s), and decided to carry a 5-GW set and add THREE more wedges to close the gap. The 5i is ONE degree weaker than my old 4i and my PW ends up in something like 44º so I needed to add to the 48º GW a 52º, 55º and 59º wedges.

It is ridiculous! Its time for OEMs to start pushing on something else but distance. As you guys say, why would I want to hit my 7i longer? Don't I have a 6i for that purpose? The problem is it becomes something to care about when buying a new set of irons, since you might need to change your wedges (to a different configuration, let's say, 50-54-58 instead) and Hybrids in order to "suit" the new set due to the loft differences.

I ws thinking on upgrading my irons to newer Ci9s or FG Tours, but due to the loft issues, I'm going the Mizuno line to avoid problems! (MPs have 47º wedges at least)

I thk oems jst want to sell more wedges!

And I thk for many high cappers hitting a 6 iron gves them a lot more cofidence than hitting a 5 jst my 2 cents tho.

I guess for mid to low cappers it generally safer to go w "transitional " or players irons to avoid the jacked up lofts.

The old 3 hybrid was 21* bt nw so many have them as 19*

It's jst an ego issue w some ppl as well. " I hit my 6 iron as far as Anthony Kim" bt they fail to mention their 6 iron is actually a 5

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I like the idea of creating a composite set with more forgiving long irons and more consistant and workable scoring clubs. You will still have the issue of a gap, but this will move the gap into the longer irons instead of in the middle of your scoring clubs. Glad you found a set of clubs that work well for you.

Right now I have G2's for 5 and 6i, the rest being S59's. Might get i15, anybody know what those are like?

Rest is Rust

Archived