Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ball Test/Ball Lab Takeaways

tdc1

Like many of you I am intrigued by the ongoing MSG ball tests/ball labs.  Like some of you, perhaps, I am also confused by mixed messages I seem to get from the data.  Below are some things I see as recurring point.

About me:  70 years old; erratic with driver; solid distance, by my standards, with 30-degree 7 iron (145 carry); driver swing speed guesstimate of 88-90 (been a couple of years since accurate assessment); I do not have a favorite ball at this point.

Ball test/lab takeaways: (1) low compression (soft) balls are slower and shorter — except when they aren’t; (2) at my swing speed I’m leaving distance on the table with driver by using lower compression ball but probably gaining a few yards with irons; (3) around the greens I’m losing spin with lower compression ball; (4) matte finished balls spin less than gloss finish, and significantly less when wet; (5) non-urethane balls may give more distance off driver but less control on approach shots.

Am I badly misreading the test results?

Thanks.

Edited by tdc1
Added information

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I think you've got it right. The MGS guys just did a No Putts Given podcast where they explain things in a lot more detail. I'm actually listening to it right now, it's only an hour long and it sheds a lot more light on their conclusions. They only point I would make would be to try the higher compression urethane balls, maybe you don't need to go to an X (though it seems like EvERyOnE ShOulD PLaY a PrO V LeFt DaSH) Try the Bridgestone RX, the Maxfli from Dick's, and Vice/Snell products. If you are happy with your greenside performance I wouldn't worry too much.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I agree with the post above,  listen to or watch the latest no putts given.  F you want to know the answers to you questions investing an hour to listen to more details isn’t a bad thing.   

14 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Ball test/lab takeaways: (1) low compression (soft) balls are slower and shorter — except when they aren’t; (2) at my swing speed I’m leaving distance on the table with driver by using lower compression ball but probably gaining a few yards with irons; (3) around the greens I’m losing spin with lower compression ball; (4) matte finished balls spin less than gloss finish, and significantly less when wet; (5) non-urethane balls may give more distance off driver but less control on approach shots.

But my interpretation:

1.  Low compression and named soft are two different things.  Chromesoft actually isn’t soft when looked at across other balls.  

2/3: sounds close to accurate

4. Lots of dynamics involved with spin especially when wet.  I am doing most wanted wedge testing now and while spin is lower when the ball is wet, the club plays a huge factor in the reduction of spin.   

5. probably true.

ultimately decisions on what ball to play is an individual thing.  You may deliver the club in a way that needs more or less spin.  The ball that flys farthest in the MGS test may not be your longest balls.   It is a complex puzzle that combines, compression, spin, launch, aerodynamics, trajectory, etc.   what the MGS test should do is give you information about what range of balls might work best for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG