A Modern Classic

GolfSpy_APH

Although I haven't been a extreme golf junkie till joining the site and wasn't deep into the equipment side of things until say 8 or so years ago I have an appreciation for some of the classics and I want to add a new one to the Modern Classics... or propose it to be thrown in. 

image.png

This iron is the Ping i210

This iron came out in later 2018 and is still at the moment a current club in Pings lineup. It launched the same time as the much hyped i500 which for all its amazing looks was somewhat lackluster and didn't receive nearly the praise that the i210 came to earn. Launching along side the i500 it also got a little bit forgotten about. I was fortunate enough to test the i210 for MGS Forum back in 2018 and remember the i500 testing thread getting a lot more views and traction. However after looking back the i500 had some faults and altho a great iron was certainly not loved by all. 

The i210 went on to get many many professional wins on a variety of tours, holds up in the looks department and as for mine still are amazing when it comes to durability. 

For a iron that wasn't as hyped at the beginning it has slid under the radar and been competitive in most wanted testing year after year and again nearly 4 years after launching is still a current club. 

For me I think this puts it into a category that not too many other irons recently can go into. It is a club that has held its own over product cycles and even though ping isn't known for coming out with new irons year over year it has still not been touched. With the new releases of the i59 and i525 maybe now it will finally be fully fazed out, but I want to give a call out to a iron that has just been stellar for so many for so many years. 

What others come to mind when you think of a modern classic?

For those who are new and may have missed it here are the reviews of these beauties!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

You are not alone in your admiration for the i210.  Ping has their job cut out for them when they replace it.  My only criticism is the finish.  It shows a lot of little discolored marks over time.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I still wish I would have bought like 10 sets of the iBlade.  After all my squawking about forged clubs… it’s just a ploy to get people to buy new clubs every year.  The i200’s were pretty good, but I think the iBlade was “the” club.  Modern, yet classic, simple… unfortunate that they decided to jump on the forged bandwagon with their players clubs, they had the other corner of the market on lock……

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones