Sorting through Swing Thoughts / Accountability thread

Good news is I played on Saturday and shot 72. Made 3 birdies (including the eight hole at the course which is the only hole I have never birdied) on front and eagled par 17th. Hit some really nice shots and a few squirrelly ones but really it was my putting. I had 5 one putt holes on the front and one where I holed out from off the green. Came back down to earth, putting wise, on the back but still even par is even par. My full swing thought was just to take the club what felt like straight up almost and it was great for irons and gave a slight fade with the driver. I am probably not quite as upright as I think but definitely more than I was.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

Good news is I played on Saturday and shot 72. Made 3 birdies (including the eight hole at the course which is the only hole I have never birdied) on front and eagled par 17th. Hit some really nice shots and a few squirrelly ones but really it was my putting. I had 5 one putt holes on the front and one where I holed out from off the green. Came back down to earth, putting wise, on the back but still even par is even par. My full swing thought was just to take the club what felt like straight up almost and it was great for irons and gave a slight fade with the driver. I am probably not quite as upright as I think but definitely more than I was.

that is a great score... way to go...

committed to performance excellence

Played 9 holes yesterday, shot a 38 with a fairly stable ball flight, 3 bogeys and 1 birdie which is fine. Generally embracing a fade with the driver and a straightish ball with everything else and draws with the short clubs (I believe that is remnants of a "flip"). Only swing thought was getting more vertical on the backswing. 

Today, I had a lesson this morning with a local gent and he had the following things that jumped out at him:
- I am closed at address, need to practice alignment and get used to what will feel like open but is actually square
- Hands need to stay in front of chest through backswing and downswing. Even in my more upright swing the hands get "behind" me in the backswing and then even more behind in the downswing, leading to hooks and flips
- Need to carry the club through on the downswing and stay "connected" with hands which will feel like a flighted shot or held off finish for a while. 

Good news is that when I accomplished this, contact felt very solid. I showed him some old swings of my flat backswing and he was very much on board with me changing that. I think this is going to give me more of a fade bias for a while and maybe forever which is fine as long as it is consistent. 

Loopy, flippy swing pre-lesson that hits a draw/hook:

IMB_wMjrwz.gif.dc8b1f52278a9d116a57debd9ea33e7e.gif

Post-lesson: going to a work in progress to make this look less restricted but this is the more controlled, connected fade swing:

IMB_5mwqHC.gif.d4650e3fec41fc07fb11c367d6452221.gif

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review --