Handicap and Distance

chisag

28 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I would agree that slope should factor into which tees you play to some degree but this formula leaves a lot to be desired. I play with a 12 handicap every week, based on this he would be playing the back tees at our club (6657). He carries his driver about 180 yards. From the back tees a lot of par 4's would be 3 shots to reach green and 2 of the par 3's are unreachable for him. I don't think anybody would advise him to play from that set of tees. 

That method has the same result for me.  It tells men that I should play from our courses tips which is has a slope of 132; evener Blue tees with a slope of 127 is a stretch for me.  I played from there until last year but moved up to White tees because I couldn't hit some par 4 and 5 holes in regulation. That formula must have something built in that has a relationship between slope, handicap and driving distance.  It certainly does not consider lower handicap short hitters.  

I wish that when methods like that are mentioned, they give the parameters for how they came up with it.  It does nothing but make players like me question my game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but this dosen't make sense to me either.  Using Cimarron as an example, slope from the white tees (6368 yards) and from which I play most often, is 123.  My current handicap from that tee is 9.  123-9=114 which suggests I should be playing gold/red.  My average driving distance is ~225 yards.  Perhaps the calculation is largely based on giving the player the best chance at shooting par?  Presuming all other parts of one's game is solid, maybe it would.  I might have to give it a trial... when the course is empty and no one is around 🤣.

image.png.3d73b2721165e6352b036891226bccb0.png

As I stated earlier, I use average second or third shot (par 5's) distance as my gage.  If I can pretty consistently reach the green with well struck shots, using 6i an up, that makes me feel like I'm playing from the correct tees for my average hitting distances. Depending which groups/guys I play with, I sometimes will do the blue/white combo.  It does gain me 1 stroke but it makes one of the par 5's and one par 3 really tough to reach in regulation; particularly if the wind is up.

Begin with the number 142, then subtract your course handicap.  142 - 9 = 133.  This formula says you should be playing the Blue tees.  I am actually sorry at this point that I got involved with this thread.  

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but this dosen't make sense to me either.  Using Cimarron as an example, slope from the white tees (6368 yards) and from which I play most often, is 123.  My current handicap from that tee is 9.  123-9=114 which suggests I should be playing gold/red.  My average driving distance is ~225 yards.  Perhaps the calculation is largely based on giving the player the best chance at shooting par?  Presuming all other parts of one's game is solid, maybe it would.  I might have to give it a trial... when the course is empty and no one is around 🤣.

image.png.3d73b2721165e6352b036891226bccb0.png

As I stated earlier, I use average second or third shot (par 5's) distance as my gage.  If I can pretty consistently reach the green with well struck shots, using 6i an up, that makes me feel like I'm playing from the correct tees for my average hitting distances. Depending which groups/guys I play with, I sometimes will do the blue/white combo.  It does gain me 1 stroke but it makes one of the par 5's and one par 3 really tough to reach in regulation; particularly if the wind is up.

Bill, I thought the calculation was to subtract your handicap (and I took that to mean your index, not handicap from a set of tees) from 142; That would mean you would play a set of tees with a slope of 132, so clearly you should play from the Blues.  🤣 Seems like you have the same issue I do, or maybe I am missing something.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Begin with the number 142, then subtract your course handicap.  142 - 9 = 133.  This formula says you should be playing the Blue tees.  I am actually sorry at this point that I got involved with this thread.  

... LOL, I get it but nobody is taking shots at you just the formula so you shouldn't be sorry.  I am glad you posted it because it sparked some posts and ideas and as you stated quite clearly "I didn't come up with the formula, just passing it along. Play from wherever you'd like." But it causes everyone to think about their game and how this may or may not apply, and thinking about your game/equipment/ability is always good! 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

2 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Okay, that makes a bit more sense.  However, it must being using stats for average male golfers in the late 30's 😊.  For me, most courses feel right at between 5800 and 6200 yards, and that is more often than not white tees. Thinking back to my younger days playing, I don't recall using blue tees even back then.  I've never been a really long hitter and would gues my average driving distance has never been north of 250 yards. But to be honest, I never kept track of such things back then. MGS had yet be be born... or Adam for that matter 🤣.

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Bill, I thought the calculation was to subtract your handicap (and I took that to mean your index, not handicap from a set of tees) from 142; That would mean you would play a set of tees with a slope of 132, so clearly you should play from the Blues.  🤣 Seems like you have the same issue I do, or maybe I am missing something.  

We'll play it from the blues next time you guys visit and report back on our findings 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

33 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

I get it and was just pointing out that it doesn't work in some situations, for myself it would probably work just fine. Really if looking for the most fair set of tees to play it would be a combo of all the tees on the course. Using the same player as an example he could play a couple of par 4's from the back tees, 2 of the par 3's from the third set, some of the par 4's from the middle set and some of the others from the other set closer to the green. He would play all 4 sets of tees and it would balance it out so that no matter what distance he hit it based on a decent shot you would have a fair chance of a GIR, which in my opinion should really be the standard. Of course no courses are rated like this and most people would never play this way. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

38 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

I don't think you should feel that way about it - you've suggested a formula that works well for you and for many others.  Any of these formulas are suggestions.  All players but particularly all players with handicaps above scratch have differing strengths and weaknesses that go into their handicap.  I play a lot of golf with a 23 because he's my friend.  He's about 10 years younger than me and in great shape.  He's at least a club longer than me with his irons and when he catches his driver a good 20 yards past me.  However, I'd be willing to bet that my average drive is longer than his.  You'd certainly rather have my 14 tee shots in a around over his because he's likely to have two or three that go OB or in a hazard.  I'm highly unlikely to have that many of those occurrences in the course of a month!

You need to use common sense with any of this stuff - I would simply suggest that for purpose of pace of play that when in doubt play up a set of tees.  

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

2 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I get it and was just pointing out that it doesn't work in some situations, for myself it would probably work just fine. Really if looking for the most fair set of tees to play it would be a combo of all the tees on the course. Using the same player as an example he could play a couple of par 4's from the back tees, 2 of the par 3's from the third set, some of the par 4's from the middle set and some of the others from the other set closer to the green. He would play all 4 sets of tees and it would balance it out so that no matter what distance he hit it based on a decent shot you would have a fair chance of a GIR, which in my opinion should really be the standard. Of course no courses are rated like this and most people would never play this way. 

... Good points and ability really enters into it a well. I play a combo at my summer course because a 477yd par is just too long for my game. I can certainly reach in two for a GIR but that takes a great drive and fairway wood so much more often than not I wouldn't be on the green. 443 is plenty long. My winter course has 4 really long and difficult par 4's and 3 of them play uphill. A really good drive leaves a mid iron and a par produces a feeling of doing well. But a mediocre drive into the upslope means you can't see the green and they turn into difficult holes. A good challenge for a low index player with command of his hybrids/long iron but not so much fun of rt higher index that hits more bad shots than good. The rest of the course is playable for the higher index from those tees, but moving up on those 4 holes would go a long way to better scores and more enjoyment. But I have rarely talked anyone into playing combo test unless they are listed on the scorecard. 😳  I talked my 81yr old playing pard into combo tees but he had so much fun and more success playing the forward tees, he just plays from there now.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

That was my point I made earlier.  It may work for some, but it would be nice to know what the parameters are and what people it suits.  Maybe there are other formulas that would work for people with different driving distances and handicaps.  

My course has 5 par 5's and I can't reach any of them in two shots from the Forward tees.  If I play from the Back tees, that the formula suggested,  I will reach only one par 5 in 3 shots; there will be 5 par 4's I won't reach in 2 shots and one par 3 I won't reach with driver.

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 5:11 PM, chisag said:

... There are always exceptions. I know plenty of high index players that can just bomb their drivers and usually have quick twitch muscles that often don't work so great with touch. They struggle with finesse shots and putting. Those of us that started playing with Persimmon woods and Balata balls that spun off the planet had to learn to control spin and hit the ball straight before trying to hit it long. With todays equipment it is much better to hit it long, then learn to hit it straight(er) so you are on the right track. Now you don't want to swing out of your shoes or with total reckless abandon, but the longer the better so aggressive is good. Accuracy will come in time with practice and dedication. You will get there. 

This makes a lot of sense to me. When I started and even to this day I always struggled with my driver. If I do get a straight one I’ve averaged around 290. But for a while I got so fed up with my driver I was discouraged and never took it of the bag and relayed on my 4iron(my longest iron, and not playing woods/ hybrids at the time) but it made me focus a lot on my iron game and specifically my short game. I only played par 3s for a bit to focus on the game from like 200 yds in. Now I’ve been working on my driver and finding that if I just take a smooth comfortable swing instead of trying to kill the ball( Have you trouble since being a hockey player makes me want to kill it) I can hit it like 260 and then play it from there.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

This is really interesting! According to the graph at my age and driver distance my index should be in the range of 0-5!

Untapped potential!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black