Music on the Golf Course?

Music helps me put it on cruise control and play my best golf. I don't seem to get into the Zone as often when not listening.

I am considerate and play music heard only 10 or so feet out of my cart even when playing with my normal groups. If I wanted it louder they wouldn't care, I know because we play often and I know them well enough. If I am with someone new in my cart I ask if they mind if I play music that spans several decades and genres without rap. Based on their age and answer, I gage volume level and use one of 3 playlists.

IF they specify that they're not into music I tell them I can quietly play an instrumental station on Pandora. Usually people are good with that, if they weren't I could go without, but respectfully compromising goes both ways. After that round I'd indirectly try to have them ride in the other cart for future rounds, because lack of music takes away from my round slightly.

IF they told me I couldn't play music quietly in my cart and they in theirs, I'd just commit to playing it ultra low and keeping distance so they couldn't hear it during a shot. 

Luckily I've never been asked not to play music. I think I'm respectful enough with it, and the membership is relaxed enough that it's not been and won't ever be a problem.

Driver/3W:callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 8 Deg

3H:titleist-small:  - TSi2

4U:mizuno-small: - Mizuno Fli-Hi

5-GW:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Project X LZ 120g

56/60 :vokey-small: - SM9 KBS Tour Taper 120g

Ball:titleist-small: - ProV1x Left Dash

On 5/23/2024 at 7:23 PM, tinfoil said:

Absolutely under no circumstances should music be played on the course.  It is rude and inconsiderate of others and otherwise obnoxious.

John S., Baltimore MD - Honma TR20 Driver, 4w, 7w, irons - Edel EAS putter and wedges

The question boils down to this. 

Are you a Judge Smails or are you a Al Czervik and like everyone else who wants to have fun playing golf?

John S., Baltimore MD - Honma TR20 Driver, 4w, 7w, irons - Edel EAS putter and wedges

13 minutes ago, BaldJohnMD said:

The question boils down to this. 

Are you a Judge Smails or are you a Al Czervik and like everyone else who wants to have fun playing golf?

I have fun acting like Judge Smails.😆

in flux

... For about half the folks responding, this thread should be re-titled: Why Doesn't Everyone Think Just Like Me?

... Every drive on the road? People with their heads buried in their phone, leaving spaces and still looking down as traffic leaves the stop light. People driving well over the speed limit. People driving well under the speed limit. People in gas guzzling trucks. People driving EV's. Folks driving brand new cars/trucks. People driving cars and trucks over 20 years old. Compact cars, pick up trucks, SUV's, coupes and luxury sedans as well as family sedans. Even some station wagons.  

... Yet all those radically different folks are supposed to have the same thoughts about music? 🙄

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I play music in my cart on the course loud enough for myself and my BIL to hear it no more than 30’ away from the cart.  I do this as we both enjoy it and it helps drown out the guys that scream as loud as they can when they make it almost make a 10 footer.  

IMO that’s a greater problem than music on the course.  

To those that say absolutely no music, you wouldn’t even know I was listening to music if you were on the course and a different hole than me, so is that ok or does it still ruffle your feathers? lol

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    PXG Black Ops 8* or Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Grey 65/4 shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :titleist-small: T150 4-GW with Modus 105R

Wedges:    :vokey-small: SM10 56M shaft TBD

:edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge 

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

To me that's fine. I honestly don't even mind if I can hear music from a hole or 2 over. As long as someone's not blaring it through a speaker at max volume it doesn't really bother me. However, I know some others like it dead quiet like the PGA tour lol. Different strokes for different folks.

Hit em straight or hard, whichever works for you. 🫡

I've played a few rounds with people playing music.  In each case, they were very polite asking first if it was OK to play music and what category of music that I liked or wanted to hear.  I've also played with people who wear ear buds while they play.

Today, I played in a scramble with one in our group switched from ear buds to his speaker.  He had a classic rock play list, so it didn't bother me.   It was nice to have something to break up the down time waiting for the group in front of us on every hole.   

I'm lucky in that when it's my turn to hit, I can filter out any background distractions pretty well.  So, any music, car or other noises don't bother me as much as others.  Just like Kevin Costner as a baseball pitcher in For the Love of the Game I can turn off outside noises while I hit.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I think music is fine on the course if you play it for you and your buddies I shouldn’t hear it loudly next to me. Like the other day I played we were on our scheduled tee time teeing off on time when this group rolled up blasting music with my group teeing off. I play with some older guys and they were furious. I just think people need to be more real to others around them when playing music.

Best score is 87 and trying to improve currently carrying a Titelist TSR2 driver, TM 3w, 3h, 4-aw irons, 54 & 58 TM wedges, with a TM spider putter.

I don't really care for music on the golf course but, it's not a big deal if it's not too loud. The thing is that is completely subjective, it might not be too loud for me but it could be annoying to someone else, that said I'll take annoying music over slow play anytime.

Ever sense COVID and the attack of the younger, does not have a week day job, I get paired with music playing slicers and Mulligan using KIDS (anyone under 25) all the time during the week.  I love their reaction when they ask if the music bothers me, "Not if its Johnny Cash" . I love to play golf without music.

I suppose that is another reason for my AirPods pro....I can activate noise cancelling and I can't really hear their music, talking, whooping, etc.  Leaves me to the game alone.  One of the reasons I love golf so much is because you don't need others to play.  You can concentrate, work hard, and improve no matter what stage you are at.  I crave the alone time....maybe because I was a HS teacher (prior to retirement) and live in a 3 generation household.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

It's all about respecting your fellow golfers. I play music when I'm on the course, but it's loud enough for me and my cart mate to listen to ONLY. If I can hear your music while I'm on the course you have it too loud. Be respectful. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 
Irons: Callaway Paradym
Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-Ball SRT Putter (AKA The Space Station)
Bag: Sun Mountain Cart Bag 
Ball of Choice: Callaway Supersoft but always up to try something

On 5/24/2024 at 12:56 PM, poprocksncoke said:

Love music and listen to it all the time.  On the golf course I don't typically listen to it but if someone wants to that's ok by me.  Just don't blare it so the people on the next hole can hear it.  Biggest problem I have with it is when your teeing off and the group behind you pulls up to the tee with music blasting, this happens way more than it should.

Yes, pulling up behind you on the tee with music blaring is the most common and irritating disrespect.

Wishon 765 irons

Swing Science FC-One 3 wood and hybrid

Acer Ultimate Thriver Driver

TaylorMade Rosso Putter

On 4/19/2024 at 7:09 AM, JEFF1 said:

Flip flop shoes and sweat pants, now music on the golf course, what else can happen to golf, speedos and bikinis. 75 years playing golf, this is an insult to the game.

Watch and learn from the masters.true golfers watching, not like other tournaments where the bystanders yell and cause problems. They are the on course music players and drunks that drive their carts where ever.

My last response, by.

You gotta calm down man. An insult to the game? Gtfo with that nonsense. Focus on your shot and learn to block out distractions, or join a private club with strict, boring rules that match the way you want to play. Public course? Tough cookie

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a beginner and I find it hard to concentrate with music playing. But I guess when I get more experienced, I wouldn't mind much *as long as it is not too loud, otherwise I think is disrespectful.

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS Driver

Wood: Callaway Epic MAX 5 Wood Regular (Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60)

Irons: Ping Eye 2 Irons 4-9

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Wedge PW, Ping G2 SW

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX IW RC 23° 4 Hybrid Regular Flex SR 2.5

Putter: MD Golf Superstrong STR40  #1 Putter

Ball: TaylorMade Distance +