Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Odyssey Ai-ONE Milled Putters - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy BOS

21 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Getty images is a great place to look at PGA players golf equipment.  

Thanks. I've seen tons of SM channels using them, but everytime I search for pro or pga players ot keeps popping up Rahm

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

15 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Thanks. I've seen tons of SM channels using them, but everytime I search for pro or pga players ot keeps popping up Rahm

After people started asking,  I went to getty images, searched for chris kirk and limited to last 7 days and there were several that show his putter

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

That's gonna shake up some media hype! Best advertising there is too

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

The Seven T is the best putter I have ever used and I’ve used a bunch of putters…and have 4-5 in the garage right now. Never been able to putt with any Scotty from blade to mallet. The feel, the balance and distance control are great with the Seven T. With that said, if you can make putts and have confidence using a sledge hammer then that is probably the best putter for you. There is not one best putter. 

1 hour ago, Zebhead said:

There is not one best putter. 

True, but there are some more better than others (new english 😆). 

From my 20 minutues in a pro shop, about 35 years ago, choosing a PING B61 with my $100 tournament win, to a putter fitting a few years ago and testing and gaming the ER5v, to this current test of the Seven T CH, I can see where getting fitted is most important.  

The guys at TrueSpec were able to show me why a full mallet design suited my natural putting stroke the best.  Until I joined MGS forum, I didn't know a thing about this stuff and thought much of it to be marketing hocus-pocus. My strokes gained testing between the B61 and ER5v showed a gain opportunity that subsequently proved itself on the course.  My current SG tests show some opportunity as well and thus far course play is really, really close.

This is telling me that I'm rolling the right category of putter and that these two putters are top shelf in terms of base design and technology.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

The Six T CH and Seven S

Screenshot_20240108_091400_Instagram.jpg.304be612497850dd66d7304aca3fb70c.jpg

5 hours ago, Rob Person said:

The Six T CH and Seven S

Screenshot_20240108_091400_Instagram.jpg.304be612497850dd66d7304aca3fb70c.jpg

When I read this I interpret it as only 10% of pros found this club to perform better than their gamer. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

27 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

When I read this I interpret it as only 10% of pros found this club to perform better than their gamer. 

Maybe they are waiting for more feedback? I just posted it because I was having a hard time finding anyone other than social media players using it.

35 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Maybe they are waiting for more feedback? I just posted it because I was having a hard time finding anyone other than social media players using it.

Rahm started using one during the Ryder Cup I believe.   Some players switch; others don't 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

With the weather being uncooperative, and having a lot of down time the last few weeks, I've had plenty of time to read/watch more about putting mechanics and practice them on my putting mat. One nugget I found was about how putter-toe mishits lead to a tendency to have the ball start offline to the right (toe-side). The variance isn't always great but of course the further away you get, the more that 1º or 2º becomes an issue.

Well, I decided to test this out myself and compared how toe mishits look with my Scotty, Bettinardi and the Odyssey. The videos below show the outcomes and well, the ending perhaps isn't as surprising as you might think.

A short disclaimer, my floor has a slight bulge about 3 feet in front of the ball causing a minor swerve in the roll out. For this test, I was only looking at the roll of the ball for the first 3 feet to see how toe misses come off the face.

In total I took about 20-30 putts with both center strikes and toe strikes with all three putters. After recording and watching the rollouts in series of 5 at a time I noticed with rare exception that all center strikes had a straight rollout as evidenced by watching the roll of the ball with the center line on the putting mat. In contrast, toe strikes with both the Scotty and the Bettinardi were starting offline about 80% of the time. The Odyssey on the other hand was remarkably better at staying on line when being hit off the toe with only 10%-20% of the putts starting off line.

The Scotty Cameron

The Bettinardi

And the Odyssey

My most common miss when putting is either short or right. I was impressed early when I could see how mishits didn't cause much loss in distance and now I'm equally pleased to see how mishits with the Odyssey have a tendency to stay online better that either the Scotty or the Bettinardi. I'm bummed that I'm having such a hard time getting on the course to test this out but so far what I'm seeing on a practice green and on my putting mat has all signs potentially pointing to a new gamer in my bag.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

On 1/8/2024 at 7:56 PM, Preeway said:

With the weather being uncooperative, and having a lot of down time the last few weeks, I've had plenty of time to read/watch more about putting mechanics and practice them on my putting mat. One nugget I found was about how putter-toe mishits lead to a tendency to have the ball start offline to the right (toe-side). The variance isn't always great but of course the further away you get, the more that 1º or 2º becomes an issue.

Well, I decided to test this out myself and compared how toe mishits look with my Scotty, Bettinardi and the Odyssey. The videos below show the outcomes and well, the ending perhaps isn't as surprising as you might think.

A short disclaimer, my floor has a slight bulge about 3 feet in front of the ball causing a minor swerve in the roll out. For this test, I was only looking at the roll of the ball for the first 3 feet to see how toe misses come off the face.

In total I took about 20-30 putts with both center strikes and toe strikes with all three putters. After recording and watching the rollouts in series of 5 at a time I noticed with rare exception that all center strikes had a straight rollout as evidenced by watching the roll of the ball with the center line on the putting mat. In contrast, toe strikes with both the Scotty and the Bettinardi were starting offline about 80% of the time. The Odyssey on the other hand was remarkably better at staying on line when being hit off the toe with only 10%-20% of the putts starting off line.

The Scotty Cameron

The Bettinardi

And the Odyssey

My most common miss when putting is either short or right. I was impressed early when I could see how mishits didn't cause much loss in distance and now I'm equally pleased to see how mishits with the Odyssey have a tendency to stay online better that either the Scotty or the Bettinardi. I'm bummed that I'm having such a hard time getting on the course to test this out but so far what I'm seeing on a practice green and on my putting mat has all signs potentially pointing to a new gamer in my bag.

Great set of comparative videos 👏. While the weather isn't cooperative, you are still finding ways to get testing done.  There is always the nagging question whether these results mimic a putting green, but I suspect they do.  It sure seems clear, from most all sources, that the AI face does exactly what it was engineered to do. 👍

I agree, and seeing is believing.  Would love to be able to test these against thr next new putter that claims it produces the same tendencies as the AI-ONE series 

5 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I agree, and seeing is believing.  Would love to be able to test these against thr next new putter that claims it produces the same tendencies as the AI-ONE series 

Well, we've all experienced snake-oil marketing. While we have "truth in advertising laws" here in the USA, they are difficult to challenge unless outright blatantly deceitful.  I am impressed by Evnroll's claims pertaining to the novel face groove design and I'm equally impressed by Odyssey's AI face design.  I think the golf industry pretty much tows the line simply because it's relatively easy for sheer poppy-cock claims to be outed by we consumers.... especially My Golf Spies 🧐.

Ruh-row.  Me and the Seven T CH today in men's league 2 man best ball. 

giphy.gif

Probably the archer not the arrow but between some really poor lags... as in 6+ feet past the hole, twice, some rather mediocre mid rangers, and two lip outs, it was our first spat in this blooming relationship 😘.

We're currently T2 with one group just finishing up.  My partner inexplicably missed two birdie putts inside 20 inches on 17 and 18.  That would have us T1.  His second shot approach on #17 was absolutely gorgeous and I didn't watch his putt thinking it was one and done 😲... what a crazy game we play.

12 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ruh-row.  Me and the Seven T CH today in men's league 2 man best ball. 

giphy.gif

Probably the archer not the arrow but between some really poor lags... as in 6+ feet past the hole, twice, some rather mediocre mid rangers, and two lip outs, it was our first spat in this blooming relationship 😘.

We're currently T2 with one group just finishing up.  My partner inexplicably missed two birdie putts inside 20 inches on 17 and 18.  That would have us T1.  His second shot approach on #17 was absolutely gorgeous and I didn't watch his putt thinking it was one and done 😲... what a crazy game we play.

Hopefully it was just a fluke or anomaly and everything will be better next time out!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

21 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

Hopefully it was just a fluke or anomaly and everything will be better next time out!

Well, we started off today like we left off yesterday; with a 3 putt for bogey on the first green (from 15 feet) and nearly 3 putting on the second green 🫢.  Confidence was waning even further. 

It was downright nasty weather for AZ.  An hour frost delay, 41F at tee time with a light 4 mph breeze.  The forecast was for the wind to build quickly and be sustained at 15+ with gusts to 25+... and the forecast was right except for the light 20 minute rain shower... yuck.

I managed a 37/39 with better than average chipping.  The Odyssey seemed to come back around the latter half of the front 9 and held its own through the rest of the round but even putting started getting silly in the wind.  On the last hole, I clubbed down and hit a 6i from 144 yards, directly into the teeth of the wind.  It was a well struck shot, ballooned, and ended 10 feet short of the green 🤪.

So I'm giving today's putting performance a neutral score.

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, we started off today like we left off yesterday; with a 3 putt for bogey on the first green (from 15 feet) and nearly 3 putting on the second green 🫢.  Confidence was waning even further. 

It was downright nasty weather for AZ.  An hour frost delay, 41F at tee time with a light 4 mph breeze.  The forecast was for the wind to build quickly and be sustained at 15+ with gusts to 25+... and the forecast was right except for the light 20 minute rain shower... yuck.

I managed a 37/39 with better than average chipping.  The Odyssey seemed to come back around the latter half of the front 9 and held its own through the rest of the round but even putting started getting silly in the wind.  On the last hole, I clubbed down and hit a 6i from 144 yards, directly into the teeth of the wind.  It was a well struck shot, ballooned, and ended 10 feet short of the green 🤪.

So I'm giving today's putting performance a neutral score.

Sounds like wonderful weather to play in…might be able to contribute some of the putting to the weather.  Better days coming in the forecast to get out there again?

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

4 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Sounds like wonderful weather to play in…might be able to contribute some of the putting to the weather.  Better days coming in the forecast to get out there again?

Oh for sure the putting was affected.  Flopping hat and rain pants didn't help either.  Playing again tomorrow and while still cooler than usual, should pretty much be back to normal.  So I'm a guy who played in WA for 30 years and MT for 7 grumping about crappy weather...how quickly we stripe new standards 🤣.

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Oh for sure the putting was affected.  Flopping hat and rain pants didn't help either.  Playing again tomorrow and while still cooler than usual, should pretty much be back to normal.  So I'm a guy who played in WA for 30 years and MT for 7 grumping about crappy weather...how quickly we stripe new standards 🤣.

Haha…hoping for better putts tomorrow!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Well, yesterday's abysmal round unintentionally put the Odyssey into some new test conditions; really long lag putts on really fast greens.  The results were not good.  I had five 3 putts 😲.  Our Granite Falls North course underwent an experiment of sorts - a no winter overseed of the fairways.  The course is the second of the four to have the tees and greens re-done in a manner that reduces water consumption.  And like Granite Falls South was the year after its renovation a few years ago, the greens are firm and fast.  But they went one step further with the no-overseed fairway experiment and, well, let's just say it is awful and won't be repeated.

Usually I can get at least aim or distance correct, but not yesterday.  My wedge game was in the toilet and partly because I'm struggling with the fairway turf interaction on the North course.  It's basically dormant Bremuda that's been painted green 🤮.  

Anyway, this left me with a handful of 60+ feet lag putts, several on the most severe contoured greens.  One putt was closer to 90 feet over a Tim's Potato Chip.  Perhaps the poor play getting to the green just oozed over into my putting... but it's got me considering benching the Odyssey for my Wednesday round.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, yesterday's abysmal round unintentionally put the Odyssey into some new test conditions; really long lag putts on really fast greens.  The results were not good.  I had five 3 putts 😲.  Our Granite Falls North course underwent an experiment of sorts - a no winter overseed of the fairways.  The course is the second of the four to have the tees and greens re-done in a manner that reduces water consumption.  And like Granite Falls South was the year after its renovation a few years ago, the greens are firm and fast.  But they went one step further with the no-overseed fairway experiment and, well, let's just say it is awful and won't be repeated.

Usually I can get at least aim or distance correct, but not yesterday.  My wedge game was in the toilet and partly because I'm struggling with the fairway turf interaction on the North course.  It's basically dormant Bremuda that's been painted green 🤮.  

Anyway, this left me with a handful of 60+ feet lag putts, several on the most severe contoured greens.  One putt was closer to 90 feet over a Tim's Potato Chip.  Perhaps the poor play getting to the green just oozed over into my putting... but it's got me considering benching the Odyssey for my Wednesday round.

Those are some long lag putts…wow!  It would be interesting to hear how your prior gamer fares under similar conditions.

I don’t have many opportunities around me to even get to those lengths…even the practice greens around me don’t have that much space.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I don’t have many opportunities around me to even get to those lengths…even the practice greens around me don’t have that much space.

Head up to Royal New Kent  large  practice green and large sloping greens on the course.  

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Head up to Royal New Kent  large  practice green and large sloping greens on the course.  

Yeah, it’s been a little while since I’ve played there, but they have some fast sloping greens.  The closest I’ve had with the 7S (non-milled) to date is Stonehouse…using the 7S was the best I had ever putted there by far.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Do you think the lag putting is suffering from lack of familiarity with the new putter or is it something in the design? Regrettably it’s one of the things I haven’t had a chance to do a deep dive into with mine. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

4 hours ago, Preeway said:

Do you think the lag putting is suffering from lack of familiarity with the new putter or is it something in the design? Regrettably it’s one of the things I haven’t had a chance to do a deep dive into with mine. 

Well, I did run that H2H test from long range (56 ft.), but not as long or severe as several of yesterday's lags. That test showed the Odyssey to offer modest improvement at getting closer. The Odyssey is ~20 grams lighter than the Evnroll, so perhaps that is a factor?  I haven't had the ER5v in the bag for over a dozen rounds now as I really want to see on-course performance (I keep track of my total putts).  I should probably disregard yesterday's mess and chalk it up to an off-day and crazy long lag putts we almost never encounter and certainly don't practice.

All signs currently point to me gaming the Odyssey in 2024 but I also expect a learning curve at the onset. However, the early results indicate a short learning could be in my future. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, I did run that H2H test from long range (56 ft.), but not as long or severe as several of yesterday's lags. That test showed the Odyssey to offer modest improvement at getting closer. The Odyssey is ~20 grams lighter than the Evnroll, so perhaps that is a factor?  I haven't had the ER5v in the bag for over a dozen rounds now as I really want to see on-course performance (I keep track of my total putts).  I should probably disregard yesterday's mess and chalk it up to an off-day and crazy long lag putts we almost never encounter and certainly don't practice.

This website provides some data about 3 putt percentages…from those distances it doesn’t seem unreasonable for some 3 putts: 

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/fascinating-chart-shows-how-likely-three-putt/?amp=1

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

7 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

This website provides some data about 3 putt percentages…from those distances it doesn’t seem unreasonable for some 3 putts: 

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/fascinating-chart-shows-how-likely-three-putt/?amp=1

Hard to believe that even Ai would completely eradicate 3-putts. But if it did, that would be the putter I’d buy!

36 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Did I mention how much I dislike 3 putting? 😆