Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pensacola Beach Golf!!

Hello Spies!! 

I am here yet again for the most valuable knowledge I can attain. I am making a big move due to my wife's work. We are moving from Richmond, VA to Pensacola, FL. I work a remote job so I couldn't be happier to become a Florida Native. Florida is a golfers dream and who doesn't love warmer weather right?

As MGS is a well versed group, I am hoping to get insight on the courses in the area!!! From what I can tell on a brief internet search there are some awesome tracks in the area. 

Tiger Point Golf Club (Ideal as we are going to live on the beach), Lost Key Golf Club, Stonebrook Golf Club, Perdido Bay Golf Club, Marcus Pointe Golf Club, and Tanglewood Golf Club

Ultimately my priorities are:

1) Personality/relationship of members (I make all my friends through golf so finding the most enjoyable group is my #1 goal)

2) Conditions/layout of course (Doesn't need to be championship maintenance but I would like it to be worth the price)

3) Location relative to Pensacola Beach (Furthest Im willing to commute to course is 35min. Doing it currently and not always fun)

4) Budget ~ 6-7k per year (27yo so hopefully will get the young professional rates)

Mostly posting here for opinions in the area and to give some updates on the decision/process throughout the next 2-3 months.

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

Posted (edited)

Tiger Point GC: Public course in Gulf Breeze. 6600yds and tipped out at 7050yds. 

Pros: Very close to my residence which would be nice about 20 min around the island. Budget comes in at 425$ a month, 5,100 a year, very reasonable. Range access, club events, and 10% in pro shop. Course looks challenging but still a good fit.

Cons: Sounds like it has more than the usual pedestrians using the course. (Walks, Dogs, kids, fishing, etc..) I don't mind this as much as long as no one is destroying the course. Must have good scenery!

Will update once played

Edited by CorporateGolfRat

Marcus Pointe GC: Semi-Private GC in Pensacola,FL. Plays 6100yd but tips out at 6600yd.

Pros: Still close enough to home (~30min). Classic course layout with some great wooded areas surrounding the course. A membership is ~$1,300 a year, such a great deal! Interested to see the facilities and the upkeep. 

Cons: The course does not look extremely challenging but only a play through will tell! I have seen a couple comments that the course is packed, again, only a play through will tell. 

Posted (edited)

Pensacola Country Club: Oldest Private club in Florida. 

Pros: Beautiful grounds. A lot of amenities. Supposedly a great group of players and great staff. Conditions look pristine. Track looks like a true links style course.

Cons: Country Club... not exactly interested in the social side of the country club benefits so that is a con for me. My wife may like it though so I will still take a look. Expensive lol

Edited by CorporateGolfRat

• 2 weeks later...

I played my PAT at Stonebrook back in 2012 or something, it's a fun track but a bit of a hike for you.

Generally speaking, I've played a lot of those courses but I'm a bit further to the east than you. I played Marcus Pointe on Easter, it was in okay shape, but we are in the early transition season right now, probably a better test of golf than it looks like on paper, much more hilly than you'd expect.

The Club at Hidden Creek had a pretty good membership at one point, that's in Navarre though.

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso