Modern irons with more traditional look

GT1885

Are there any modern game improvement irons that look more traditional in terms of thickness of top line and offset? For reference I have played in the past few years since I've put away my old blades and Taylormade 300 Forged (excellent OG irons, BTW):

Callaway XR16 Pro

Ping G400

Mizuno 923 Hot Metal.

I currently have in my bag a set of Maltby TE Forged and have one of their TE+Forged and TS3 in 7 iron head that I've shafted and tested. All of these are great irons also. 

I am just curious if the big names have made anything with a thinner top line and with smaller offsets than what I've listed from the big names above.

Changes by the month. 🙂

Just now, GT1885 said:

Are there any modern game improvement irons that look more traditional in terms of thickness of top line and offset? For reference I have played in the past few years since I've put away my old blades and Taylormade 300 Forged (excellent OG irons, BTW):

Callaway XR16 Pro

Ping G400

Mizuno 923 Hot Metal.

I currently have in my bag a set of Maltby TE Forged and have one of their TE+Forged and TS3 in 7 iron head that I've shafted and tested. All of these are great irons also. 

I am just curious if the big names have made anything with a thinner top line and with smaller offsets than what I've listed from the big names above.

Lots! 

To be honest it is a little bit too long to list but basically most companies have gone in a more simple or traditional look as that has been a trend.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If I were to pin a set of irons that I think fit this mold perfectly (also happens to be a set I desperately wish I had enough money to purchase) it would be the Ping Blueprint S/T irons. They look so incredibly good, and from reviews that have come, I have seen everyone rave about them. 

image.png.a45352762ed2513777c1d2c1f849076d.png

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

There are tons, but the first that popped in my head were the Takomo 301s for some reason.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, GT1885 said:

Callaway XR16 Pro

Ping G400

Mizuno 923 Hot Metal.

Just about every manufacturer.  Titleist, Srixon both have the ability to mix the sets.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, GT1885 said:

Are there any modern game improvement irons that look more traditional in terms of thickness of top line and offset?

What do you consider “traditional”?   GI irons implement design features to improve a players forgiveness, launch, and ease of use.   Many OEMs are doing a good job at blending the features to make them look slimmer though some OEMs package/label the bigger SGI type iron as GI.   I’ve recently started doing most GI wanted testing for MGS and have been impressed with the size and profile of some of the GI heads. Some of my favorites have been Cobra, Callaway and Ping irons.   Of course you still need to consider spin since GI irons often trade spin for distance.   The real answer is you need to get them in you hands and see how they perform and if they meet you “look” criteria.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, GT1885 said:

Callaway XR16 Pro

Ping G400

Mizuno 923 Hot Metal.

Since you are already familiar with the latest Maltby iron designs, the first place that I would suggest looking is their TS1 IM iron model, although they have been so popular since their introduction that Golfworks is finding it impossible to keep those clubheads in-stock. I just built a set for myself, and they are very much in the P790 and Takomo 101T style. Not too strong-lofted, but not super-weak either. Quite a thin topline and the soles are not very wide, but just a little bit wider than traditional blade irons.  I'm playing mine this evening for the first time in my 9-hole league, and if I get decent results with them, those irons will be in my bag for travel matches tomorrow and Thursday.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

6 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Just about every manufacturer.  Titleist, Srixon both have the ability to mix the sets.

This is what I play , I like blades but prefer something with a little more forgiveness.

IMG_2003.jpeg

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

52 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

This is what I play , I like blades but prefer something with a little more forgiveness.

IMG_2003.jpeg

Play a combo set.  If Srixon would have has the zx in left handed I would have prob done the 5's, 7's and zx

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter