Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Vokey Fitting

mdoehring

Hey friends,

I recently did a vokey fitting to replace my SM7s and narrow my gaps. My PW is a 45*, so went with 50, 54, and 60. I am considering bending my 54 a degree weaker to bring the gaps to 5* across. I also play in Georgia where the ground is a bit hard, so I went conservative on the bounces. 8s and 10s. Would you consider this a good fit or is there anything I am missing? Thanks for the help!

IMG_4723.jpeg

We don’t know your swing or technique. Any advice we offer is a guess. The information you put into the tool is your personal knowledge of your game? Your course conditions and how you use the club. The tools recommendations are going to be a better guess than what we come up with. The logic makes sense but remember for every 1° of loft change the bounce changes 1° in your case you will be adding 1° of bounce. 

Do you know that loft change will provide the gapping you need and that leaving as stock won’t. 1° of loft with all things being equal in only 2-3 yards of distance 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

These are the recommendations the titleist fitting gave to me. This is close to what I play but I have a #50 08 instead of 52, 56 08 and 60 04 as I get alot of tight lies around the greens at the course I play and like to open the face alot. So, it's pretty close. Would like to hear from a titleist rep to why they would change the variation i play.

Screenshot_20240427_215614_Samsung Internet.jpg

Trevor 01 

Taylormade driver @ 9.5 x flex, 3 wood @15, 5 wood @ 21, golfpride cord 

Taylormade p770 irons D7 swingweight lie angle @ 1 upright, Titleist wedges @ 2 flat  with KBS 120. 50,56,60, 

Taylormade spider putter.

I’m not a rep but have taken and passed Vokey wedge certification. 

The 60.08 M grind is likely going to be your best friend on the close to green chip shots.  It is designed to let you hit open face ahots aroind the green on tight or firm turf.  Assuming you have w fairly shallow angle of attack.  Meaning you don’t take large divots.  

The 56.08 M will do the same thing from a bit further out.  

The only thing i question is what type or sand do you play out or mostly?   

If its medium to firm sand you are good.  But ir your bunkers are full or sand and very soft.  You would really have needed more bounce and a different grind on perhaps the 56.  

Otherwise i like your setup. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

As a fairly new golfer I've been slowly building by bag with a budget in mind. I've been doing my research on clubs that I need with the help from pages and forums like mygolfspy. This Titleist Wedge Selector is a great tool to help you make a decision with which wedges to try. Looking forward to checking them out.share_3604712074500464961.png.dce1a139b77d4b6505e12d51ce3c00c2.png

Titleist Wedge Fitting Results

48° Pitching Wedge
F Grind - Bounce 10
The F grind is an all-purpose grind that is particularly suited for full shots and shots hit with a square face. Ideal for players who prefer a traditional wedge sole. The F grind is the most played sand wedge on the PGA Tour.

52° Gap Wedge
F Grind - Bounce 08
The F grind is an all-purpose grind that is particularly suited for full shots and shots hit with a square face. Ideal for players who prefer a traditional wedge sole. The F grind is the most played sand wedge on the PGA Tour.

56° Sand Wedge
D Grind - Bounce 12
The D Grind is the player?s high bounce wedge. High measured bounce with the crescent shape of the M grind is ideal players with a steeper angle of attack who play with a variety of clubface positions.

MJEinSA

I have similar, albeit older, Volkeys.

SM9 48.10F
SM8 54.10S
SM8 58.10S

I never hit the 58 full, and even the 54 is rare.  SoCal here, so like the OP generally harder soils (except for this year with all the rain).

Edited by zstokes

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

I live near Golf Club Nirvana, Carlsbad, CA, hq to almost everybody except Ping.  I went for a short trial hitting Indi Golf (King of Spin) wedges.  I love my Mizuno grain flow forged (GFF) wedges, but will give Indi 1st shot at replacing them when they wear.  I suggest you go to their website, read up, and see what you think.  They are a DTC, I think, web site name is indigolfclubs.  They customize to your desire.  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃