Length of irons

Posted (edited)

I bought a set of used irons that are too long for me and need to cut them down.I am 5'8 tall my measurement is from floor to wrist is 32 inches. Can someone tell me where to start from 9 iron to 5 iron

Edited by rleegabe
Needed to add height

There is no “standard” and single answer for a height/wrist to floor measurement; it is simply a starting point because you golf posture and swing will influence the actual need..  A place to start would be the Ping chart and it puts you at their standard length   

https://ping.com/en-us/misc/stash/fitting/iron-color-code-chart

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

There is no “standard” and single answer for a height/wrist to floor measurement; it is simply a starting point because you golf posture and swing will influence the actual need..  A place to start would be the Ping chart and it puts you at their standard length   

https://ping.com/en-us/misc/stash/fitting/iron-color-code-chart

I found this but am not sure how to graduate measurements from 5 to 9 irons. one inch, 1/2 inch. Just not sure. Or should the measuring just all be the same?

Wrist-to-Floor-Measurement.jpg

7 minutes ago, rleegabe said:

I found this but am not sure how to graduate measurements from 5 to 9 irons. one inch, 1/2 inch. Just not sure. Or should the measuring just all be the same?

Measurements from each iron to the next are usually 1/2" increments.

7 iron would be 37.00" (usual standard)

go 0.50" longer for 6i and continue the trend for 5i.

go 0.50" shorter for 8i and continue the trend for 9i.

Again this is only a standard because it will affect the shaft flex and who knows how the shaft was installed to begin with(butt end left long, tipped, etc).

I highly suggest taking them to a shop and let the shop spec them back to manufacture standard and check swing weights for you

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 12*

*DRIVER TESTING CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 75 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75 S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

44 minutes ago, rleegabe said:

As stated above 1/2” is kind of a norm but there are no standards in golf and some a will do more or less.   Shouldn’t be the same,  you aren’t making one length clubs and that opens up another can of worms.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Posted (edited)

Grab a 6 or 7 iron, or both.   Head to the range.  Choke down on the iron until it is comfortable.  Hit shots on different choked positions.  Measure how far down you choked and you have a starting point.  Then use a standard chart for differential. 

Don't over think it or spend $100s. Measure. Remove grip.  Cut to length.  Regrip.

Best of luck. 

Polish_20240507_101938739.jpg

Edited by Clubs by Buzz
Added photo
29 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As stated above 1/2” is kind of a norm but there are no standards in golf and some a will do more or less.   Shouldn’t be the same,  you aren’t making one length clubs and that opens up another can of worms.  

Thanks, that helps!

On 5/6/2024 at 7:37 PM, rleegabe said:

I bought a set of used irons that are too long for me and need to cut them down.I am 5'8 tall my measurement is from floor to wrist is 32 inches. Can someone tell me where to start from 9 iron to 5 iron

A pro fitter or PGA member can help you.  Anonymous guys on MGS, not the best.  Even tho we all care.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

@rleegabe first off welcome to the forums. This a great place to post questions and ask for advise. But, you have to evaluate what is good. For me, the general 1/2 in increment generally works well. But unless you feel really comfortable about sawing off shafts, take then to a golf repair/fitting shop and speak with them first before hacking away. Again, welcome to the forum.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely like said a profitter would be best. I’m 6’4 and was sized to +2” clubs but when I tested some at that length I found myself chunking it a lot so I was then shortened to +1” (what I was playing before) and it brought me to perfect swing area for me. It was just how I held the grip and swung the club. The fitter showed just how he can give me the general fit but there’s alot more to it than just what the book says

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

do a fitting and see what you get fit into. Wrist to floor is a very basic starting point and what’s needed between each can vary.

perfect example of using anything other than a dynamic fitting is @Golfspy_CG2 he’s 6’7” and at a tpi fitting in Cali he was fit to titleist standard length and the fitter even considered going 1/4”. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

do a fitting and see what you get fit into. Wrist to floor is a very basic starting point and what’s needed between each can vary.

perfect example of using anything other than a dynamic fitting is @Golfspy_CG2 he’s 6’7” and at a tpi fitting in Cali he was fit to titleist standard length and the fitter even considered going 1/4”. 

While this is mostly true. Just to be clesr for the OP. 
Im only 6’4” otherwise that 6’7” might have gotten me w basketball scholarship 😬

And it was actually 1/4” Short the fitter considered based on my position at impact. 
So yes, this is all a resson why static measurements shouldn’t be used, but an actual full fitting will tell you.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12