How Do Y'all Get Your Groove Back after a Poor Start?

6 hours ago, atmikeyp said:

+1 kudo for a Ted Lasso reference, even if it was unintentional. 😄

Very much intentional 😁

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k ping 2.0 65s

3w: :cobra-small: Baffler 16 GD/Stiff

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-7i:  :titleist-small: T200 recoil 110 s

7i-PW: :titleist-small: T150 recoil 110 s

52°, 56° & 60°: Kirkland V2 

P:   :EVNROLL: ER2 

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Buddy I played with ages ago would walk to his wayward ball and dribble a ball on the way. He was good at it. He'd dribble by the cart and on the tee box. That was his reset mechanism. I've adopted it. I'm not good at it. But it's something to focus on besides the blow up hole.

Same guy that taught me how to avoid getting restless when we were backed up in the tee boxes. He'd chip from one tee to the next. Maybe skip one. Make a game of hitting the blue marker post or what have you. Still playing, still competing. Even though we were waiting and could be growing impatient, I swear it helped keep you in the game.

Miss that guy. Brandon was a solid dude.

B

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

On 5/26/2024 at 11:54 AM, William P said:

I started doing this last fall in an effort to help manage expectations and it has definitely provided a more focused and positive mental game. Not that I don't have poor or bad rounds, but it helps keep me in the now and focused on next shot.

I will agree 100%. I started really following Lou and actually accepting what he was saying. I was one of those saying 26' is not a great shot. But in reality, it was a very acceptable result. I have started to really focus on the mental side of acceptance and not getting mad. I have been known to throw or break the occasional offending club. They should have known better! I still get mad, but not even close to the degree I was before. I have @LouStanger to thank for that. If you don't follow him, I would advise looking into it. 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

13 hours ago, barney_bogey said:

He'd chip from one tee to the next. Maybe skip one. Make a game of hitting the blue marker post or what have you. Still playing, still competing. Even though we were waiting and could be growing impatient, I swear it helped keep you in the game.

I picked up a similar habit years ago. Pitch from one side of the tee box to the other, seeing who can hit the marker with the fewest strokes. Arccos really did not like that at all.

2024 Season - WITB

D - :taylormade-small: Mini Brnr - Mitsubish Kai'li White

3w - :callaway-small: XR-16 - Fujikura Speeder

3h/4h - :ping-small: G430 - Mitsubish Kai'li White

5i - AW - :taylormade-small: OG P-790s - KBS Tour Stiff

56 - :mizuno-small: 56deg Wedge

60 - :titleist-small: Vokey SM6 Steel Gray M Grind

Putter - OG Ram Zebra in White

On 5/25/2024 at 11:45 AM, bens197 said:

I started breaking my round up into 3 hole segments.  When you have 6 sets of 3 holes it changes your perspective and forces you to change your focus.

I also remind myself as a 3 handicap, that I will likely shoot between 75-80 on a good day.  That means any combination of 5-10 bogeys (which includes some birdies).

I also have been focusing more on realistic data…primarily on Lou Stagner’s twitter account.  It’s fascinating to see how the average golfer based on index perceives their game vs reality.  Hitting a green inside 15 feet for a 10 and under is an incredibly good result.  

Be realistic with your game and it’ll be realistic for you.

I do something pretty similar to this.

I'm a golfer who plays whenever I can, so I often find myself walking-on courses and being paired with people I don't know. Almost every round, 2-3 holes in people complain about their start. I'm a former basketball/football player so all of my prior sports deal in quarters. For example, the Lions could go down 14 in the first quarter, but I'm definitely not turning the game off.

So, usually I tell myself - or the people I'm playing with - "we're not even halfway through the first quarter" or "its not even halftime yet". That honestly helps me conceptualize how much time I have left to recover and play the round I hoped to play.

Hope this helps!

9.5 handicap | WITB: Callaway Rogue's, Tietlist Vokey SM8's, Cobra Radspeed Driver, & Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

18 hours ago, atmikeyp said:

I picked up a similar habit years ago. Pitch from one side of the tee box to the other, seeing who can hit the marker with the fewest strokes. Arccos really did not like that at all.

We call it the FOG game.

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

12 hours ago, Beamer_ said:

I'm a former basketball/football player so all of my prior sports deal in quarters.

And with a name like Beamer, I'm not going to argue with that. I watched Frank Beamer deal out way too many losses to my Wolfpack.

2024 Season - WITB

D - :taylormade-small: Mini Brnr - Mitsubish Kai'li White

3w - :callaway-small: XR-16 - Fujikura Speeder

3h/4h - :ping-small: G430 - Mitsubish Kai'li White

5i - AW - :taylormade-small: OG P-790s - KBS Tour Stiff

56 - :mizuno-small: 56deg Wedge

60 - :titleist-small: Vokey SM6 Steel Gray M Grind

Putter - OG Ram Zebra in White

On 5/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, atmikeyp said:

And with a name like Beamer, I'm not going to argue with that. I watched Frank Beamer deal out way too many losses to my Wolfpack.

Lol! The username is a nickname - buddies call me beamer because my initials are BMW. Can't say I'm a Frank Beamer guy, more of a Jim Harbaugh.

9.5 handicap | WITB: Callaway Rogue's, Tietlist Vokey SM8's, Cobra Radspeed Driver, & Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm having a bad day or bad series of holes, I try to go back and break it down into its simplest parts. Club face, body, path (thanks Bobby Lopez, PGA) and I break the game down into 3 hole increments. If that doesn't work, I always can hit the swing oil, which in my case is tequila. For medicinal purposes only.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico