Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below.
@revkev - Main Post 

@cburins - Main Post 

@Corentin Vadillo - Main Post 

@NubianRugby - Main Post

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Thanks to be clear I’m able to advance the hole no issues. 
IMG_0556.jpeg.f3bea76222b670b524f8969b89f11f7c.jpeg

Notice I’m on the 9th hole. What the watch didn’t like was that I only played 5 holes (a loop) and wanted to stop. I couldn’t figure out how to stop the round so I turned the watch off and lost all of my data in the restart. I suspect there’s a work around. 

I think you can just press the top-right button and scroll down to end/save/stop or whatever it says to finish the activity.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

Winchester Golf Club - Garmin Review (+15)

IMG_4302.jpg.3dc46766830df4ce026f779df290cdf9.jpg

This past weekend I took my dad out for a fathers day round! The weather was great, but the course was slightly dry and firm. I couldn’t get the speed right for the greens which lead to many 3 putts. I’m usually averaging around 1.9 putts per hole and would say my putter is definitely the strongest part of my game, just not this round. There was also a huge backup on each hole and we were waiting roughly 5-10 minutes on each tee block. This definitely threw my game off a bit, but is something I need to work on for the mental side of things.

IMG_4300.jpg.5e45e49299e8803fc8ffa16018dcfcca.jpg

To start the round my Body Battery was at 59, dropped down to 49 after 9 holes and I finished with a 41.

CD2D398E-7A67-45A3-8BCD-C41D18045067.JPEG.c9b1443c407a189a0ae0ffe5d3a4d3c9.JPEG

This was the first round I wasn’t too impressed by the Garmin products. The past few rounds have been smooth sailing, but this round I felt the yardages were slightly off and the sensors were not performing how they should.

I found that when I was taking practice swings or going to read greens for my chip shot it was registering it as a stroke. As you can see in the picture below it looks like I was having a really rough day… but It was just reading these practice strokes as actually shots.

IMG_4301.jpg.1b0b6048e00d1ea537ec7cb065efe363.jpg

A strong part of my game is approach shots inside 150 yard. Every shot I hit this round inside this yardage was either short or long. I didn’t have a single shot inside 10 feet from an approach which is why I question the yardages it was giving me. It can definitely be human error and my game just wasn’t performing how it usually is, but I didn’t feel like I was hitting these shots long or short.

Another issue I ran into was the pin placement feature on 16. This hole has 2 greens and when I went to select the green I was playing it was glitching out and wouldn’t give me the yardages to the back or front of the green which is crucial to my game. It was a hit and hope scenario which didn’t give me confidence in my swing leading me to hitting it to the right of the green which was the bailout location - Trees to the back and water in front.

One small feature that I do really enjoy its the ongoing score around the watch face. As you can see numbers 1-18 around the face and the colours corresponding with what you got on that hole.

53B38F45-A12D-4E3E-94E9-C0B25C91ADE1.JPEG.cd05b65a523c647c7d3e2d9534c2fa0d.JPEG

Overall I just had a bad day of putting, ball striking was decent and the mental side of my game was weak. On the bright side 2 double bogeys on the score card is great for me, just wish I could erase some of those 3 putt bogeys. No birdies this round which sucks as this year I’ve been averaging around 2 per round. My scoring opportunities have been up this year which is something I can’t complain about. Hopefully the Garmin was having a bad day too, and we can both move on to the next round.

I have a tournament next Monday which I’m really excited for and I hope the Garmin products can help me out. Stay Tuned!

IMG_4305.jpg.219ef026c2cef2b235b7d185aa1b0a45.jpg

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M grind)

Putter: Versa Odyssey Jailbird - Superstroke Pistol 1.0

Ball: Taylormade Distance+

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So this watch has become an essential part of my daily routine and life. I have my alarms set to it, I have my schedule built within it and a lot more. The golf part has been great and I haven't unearthed all of its potential, but it is the life and body battery and other portions that have become stupid valuable to me. 

I notice how accurate the body battery is and how the kids or even a drink the night before effect recovery. I did laugh when I I saw after my round of golf that it said I needed 16 hours of recovery time... not sure that will happen for another 20 years. That said this is so much more than a golf watch. 

Finally the battery life - amazing. A week with rounds of golf easy and it only takes an hour or so to charge. 

I would second this opinion. I have had the S70 for almost a year and I can't see myself using anything else. I used to wear an Apple Watch for the smartwatch features and a Whoop band for the workout/recovery aspect. The S70 provides both and the battery life is so good. The Apple Watch I would have to charge every night and would sometimes not make it through 36 holes. The S70 I only have to charge every 5-6 days, even using the golf GPS and workout features. The Apple Watch has more daily functionality in regards to apps and being able to respond to texts and calls, but for what I need, the S70 is much better. 

Driver- TSR4 Tensei 1K Black 65 TX

3W- Callaway Mavrik 15 degree

2iron- Taylormade UDI

4-PW- Apex Pro 19 KBS Tour V

Wedges- 50, 54, 58 Vokey SM7

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour X

On 6/11/2024 at 10:59 AM, BallsLeon said:

Dang! I was hoping there would be the option for manual club selection/alternative without tags. Thanks for answering!

I do not use the sensors but edit all my rounds on my phone afterwards with clubs. Its very simple and easy to do while going through my round. 

2iron- Taylormade UDI

Testers,

I've had my watch for almost a year now and have never tried the Tempo Training provided. I would be interested in some feedback. If I have a chance to do my own, I will also provide. Tempo Training is listed under the workout glances. 

2iron- Taylormade UDI

1 minute ago, bsmith2322 said:

Testers,

I've had my watch for almost a year now and have never tried the Tempo Training provided. I would be interested in some feedback. If I have a chance to do my own, I will also provide. Tempo Training is listed under the workout glances. 

I have seen that but haven't tried it yet. Im hoping to next week!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I want to upgrade my golf watch to this so bad but 2 things are holding me back. The price of the watch then I am an electrician and scared that I will destroy the watch while wearing it every day at work. In the last year I have been focusing on fitness and looking around for a watch that does both golf and fitness isn’t the easiest thing to find..

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

2 hours ago, Coulter said:

I want to upgrade my golf watch to this so bad but 2 things are holding me back. The price of the watch then I am an electrician and scared that I will destroy the watch while wearing it every day at work. In the last year I have been focusing on fitness and looking around for a watch that does both golf and fitness isn’t the easiest thing to find..

Hey Coulter, I ended up buying glass screen protectors for my watch face. They sell them on Amazon and are inexpensive. Durability wise it's been great so far, but I haven't really banged it around too much yet, so I couldn't give you a definite answer on overall durability/long-term use. You can also replace the watch bands and I believe you get a one year warranty from Garmin!

I totally understand the price, but the Garmin has a lot to offer for both golf and health tracking. Hopefully these reviews will give you the info you need. Is there anything specific you'd like to know about the Garmin? I'd be happy to provide whatever you're curious about. 

WITB:

Garmin S70 Swing Tempo Training

This morning I went for a range session at The Docks here in Toronto (This place looks like a set from Happy Gilmore hahaha). I wanted to test out the swing tempo feature the Garmin S70 has to offer.73876440321__5EBA495B-8939-4C1A-9DC5-87DD6651CB04.jpg.22fac2fe272cfe76ca6cafe4cb17972f.jpg

Basically the Swing Tempo Training has Amateur and Pro settings: Amateur -  slow, medium, fast and Pro  - slow, medium and fast. It took me a handful of swing to get into the right tempo category based off my swing speed. I ended up in the Pro slow tempo. The watch tracks your backswing and downswing time - Pro Slow being at 0.9s backswing and 0.30s downswing. After completing a swing the watch will give you your results. It will notify you if your back/down swing was too fast or slow by leaving a red line instead of green on the bottom of the face.

361EC2F0-ADD9-4CE0-8557-04375CFBA62C.jpg.d4d111f108388df7e74bfbda8e774399.jpg

A feature I would recommend turning on during Tempo Training is the vibrate mode. This will vibrate the watch for you to give you a signal of the tempo you should have. I found it quite useful as my tempo started to be very consistent. I was averaging a 3.2s swing tempo which is aligned with the Pro Slow speed. My shot felt more fluid than usual and it was nice to have a reference of where I should be. 

IMG_4089.jpg.56939c7e301c7ce32f6abba725688f61.jpg

I think during my next range session I will attempt to try the faster swing tempos. I have always struggled with speed and maybe having the vibrations on my wrist will help me get the tempo down.

This is all I got for the Swing Tempo Training so far, but I will continue to use it and see if I discover anything else. If you want to know anything else about this feature please let me know and I will cover it. 

Overall this is an amazing side feature the Garmin S70 has to offer!

WITB:

@cburins I already know that I want this watch lol but something I’d like to see is how the shot tracking compares to the shot scope watches. I bought a shot scope X5 last year and really like it however it is exclusively a golf watch. Since I’m trying to be more health conscious I am trying to find something that does both really well.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

4 hours ago, bsmith2322 said:

Testers,

Hey Bsmith, it's your lucky day! I was able to give this a try this morning. Have linked my review for you:

WITB:

7 minutes ago, Coulter said:

@cburins I already know that I want this watch lol but something I’d like to see is how the shot tracking compares to the shot scope watches. I bought a shot scope X5 last year and really like it however it is exclusively a golf watch. Since I’m trying to be more health conscious I am trying to find something that does both really well.

Absolutely, I'll watch some videos and read some reviews on the Shot Scope X5 and give you a comparison to the S70! 

WITB:

2 minutes ago, cburins said:

Hey Bsmith, it's your lucky day! I was able to give this a try this morning. Have linked my review for you:

Very nice! Every time I've thought about using the feature I've been away from the course and then forgot it about when I get there lol. 

Seems like a very good feature for us ams that struggle to put two of the same swings together. 

2iron- Taylormade UDI

Wow - I’m going to try that tempo training on Monday - played today and playing Sunday - start a vacation on Monday 🙂

Heres the good and not so good of today in regards to the watch:

Good

image000000.jpeg.50a9bbb5b1366b0a6b4c842f1d8af94d.jpeg

I find getting yardages to lay up and landing areas as well as hazards and carry distances over them incredibly accurate and easy to access - in this case I ultimately decided to hit 5 wood T that trap rather them attempting to squeeze a driver past it - I couldn’t carry it - that carry was 250 into a breeze at sea level. Not happening for me. In fact while I hit 3 drives over 235 today none were into that breeze 🙂

Here’s one though :

image000001.jpeg.c5c71e562a234cd134c2ecd46863f75b.jpegI love that the watch tells you the distance the shot went. 235 may not impress anyone - this was cross breeze right down the gut of a tight fairway on a par 5 - not bad for a 67 year old again at sea level. When I moved here from Wisconsin 19 years ago my 255 yard average drives instantly shrunk to 245 in the Florida rainy season which we are currently in. 

We played 9, the watch was spot on accurate all day - my partner has a different brand watch - our yardages differed all day - the Garmin was right on my Bushnell range finder - far more accurate than the fairway markers at my club on doglegs - for example I hit mY drive on 1 to the left of the 150 marker in the fairway - if you went by the marker you had 151 middle, 165 back - however it’s a sharp dogleg right - pin was back - my garmin watch had the middle at 161, 178 back - pin was back and I shot it at 175 - I should have brought my 9 wood. 😢 Did get my 6 hybrid just right of the green about 10 yards short of the pin 

The bad:

I’m completely done with these sensors 

“Here’s that thing from your club again”has become a part of my groups vocabulary. It’s annoying, they look terrible to my eye and rattle around when you set clubs down or sometimes even when we take them out of bag. 

Back to the good - 

On a side note I had my annual physical today. Results were great, I’ve lost 8 lbs of my 15 lbs goal for this year - blood pressure was 120/74, bloodwork like a 40 year old, just a really good appointment. My doc loved the watch - we looked at my sleep issues and he had some suggestions based on the watch data - that’s huge.

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

The biggest downside to the tempo training is that the data doesn't get stored. After your session, it just goes away so you cannot go back to see how you've been doing.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

Have any of you noticed an issue with the hole finder feature? It's not an feature I have used often but when I have used it, it's sometimes way off. This is one example. The hole finder is pointing back and to the left, but the hole is directly in front of me.

20230904_074930.jpg.361e3d26b87e1c0869bcbf5b2a9e452d.jpg

Edited by FallenSaber

10 hours ago, FallenSaber said:

Have any of you noticed an issue with the hole finder feature? It's not a feature I have used often but when I have used it, it's sometimes way off. This is one example. The hole finder is pointing back and to the left, but the hole is directly in front of me.

20230904_074930.jpg.361e3d26b87e1c0869bcbf5b2a9e452d.jpg

Interesting - I have not tried that feature - I’m glad sone of our last years testers are popping in - curious how your watches are holding up. Is the battery still holding its charge the way it did when the watch was new? I’m charging mine every hour or five days normally with a couple of 9’s on it and rarely am I below 50 percent - I find if I throw it on the charger in the morning when I take my shower - it’s at 100 percent by the time I’ve finished my morning devotion and cup of coffee. 

Very convenient 

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

7 hours ago, revkev said:

Interesting - I have not tried that feature - I’m glad sone of our last years testers are popping in - curious how your watches are holding up. Is the battery still holding its charge the way it did when the watch was new? I’m charging mine every hour or five days normally with a couple of 9’s on it and rarely am I below 50 percent - I find if I throw it on the charger in the morning when I take my shower - it’s at 100 percent by the time I’ve finished my morning devotion and cup of coffee. 

Very convenient 

It's holding up very well. Just over a month til I've had it for a full year. Planning on doing a one year post showing how it's held up so far. I haven't seen any decline in its performance yet. The only thing that has occurred is that sometimes, there is an issue with Bluetooth connection to the phone. Sometimes it'll disconnect for a millisecond then reconnect. More of an minor annoyance than anything. But that might be more related to the phone than the watch. Last time I noticed it happening, my phone battery was low.

7 minutes ago, FallenSaber said:

It's holding up very well. Just over a month til I've had it for a full year. Planning on doing a one year post showing how it's held up so far. I haven't seen any decline in its performance yet. The only thing that has occurred is that sometimes, there is an issue with Bluetooth connection to the phone. Sometimes it'll disconnect for a millisecond then reconnect. More of an minor annoyance than anything. But that might be more related to the phone than the watch. Last time I noticed it happening, my phone battery was low.

I’ve had mine for 11 months and the battery is as strong as it was when I first got it. 

2iron- Taylormade UDI

On 6/22/2024 at 8:36 AM, revkev said:

Very convenient 

I'd like to mention one thing about charging the watch. It's best if you don't charge the watch until it really needs to be charged. Keeping a battery at 100 too often will decrease it's life/capacity. It's best to let the battery completely cycle- get close to 0 before charging it again. (I personally wait until the battery is showing 2 days or even 1 day of life left.) A friend had a Garmin Venu and the battery died after only having it for about a year. I was asking about his charging habits. He said he put it on the charger every night before he went to sleep and left it there all night. I asked why and he said "because that's what I had to do with my apple watch." So, yeah, don't be that guy. 🙂 

1 hour ago, VernL4 said:

I'd like to mention one thing about charging the watch. It's best if you don't charge the watch until it really needs to be charged. Keeping a battery at 100 too often will decrease it's life/capacity. It's best to let the battery completely cycle- get close to 0 before charging it again. (I personally wait until the battery is showing 2 days or even 1 day of life left.) A friend had a Garmin Venu and the battery died after only having it for about a year. I was asking about his charging habits. He said he put it on the charger every night before he went to sleep and left it there all night. I asked why and he said "because that's what I had to do with my apple watch." So, yeah, don't be that guy. 🙂 

Thanks - I followed up by asking my son who was a Navy Nuke this question. I got a three page text. 🙂 bottom line this is great advice - I was unaware of it.

I’m running into a night time issue. The last two nights I’ve gone to bed around 1030 - I was woken up both nights around 1 and then went back to sleep. The Garmin only gave me sleep measurements from the times that I got back to sleep. This leads to a lower sleep score, a lower starting body battery score and inaccurate data. 

IMG_0579.jpeg.ac068cffdd9167bd79c61ed1065d9241.jpegHere’s the message that I got when I came home from yesterday’s round. 

7 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks - I followed up by asking my son who was a Navy Nuke this question. I got a three page text. 🙂 bottom line this is great advice - I was unaware of it.

I’m running into a night time issue. The last two nights I’ve gone to bed around 1030 - I was woken up both nights around 1 and then went back to sleep. The Garmin only gave me sleep measurements from the times that I got back to sleep. This leads to a lower sleep score, a lower starting body battery score and inaccurate data. 

IMG_0579.jpeg.ac068cffdd9167bd79c61ed1065d9241.jpegHere’s the message that I got when I came home from yesterday’s round. 

Yes, I've had incorrect sleep data when my sleep is interrupted during the night. It seems like it saves one part of the info- the part before or the part after the time that I was awake during the night. You can edit this info in the Connect app by adjusting the sleep and wake times. After editing, it will show a large block of time as awake, which seems to be fairly accurate. I'm not sure if this will change the sleep score, though.

I am really going to have to recommend that Garmin introduce a toddler mode. 

Reason? Well I think my sleep and such given the two little ones is always going to be at a deficit. Not really a problem, just the nature of being a dad and so on. The kids also love the watch and to play with the buttons/screen. The lock mode is great and thank goodness it has it. 

I have had the watch for nearly a month now and just have it on charge now for maybe the fourth time. The battery life still astonishes me and today I am going to see if I can do a better job at shot tracking without the CT10 sensors. 

Not sure how well it will work and may depend on how busy the course is, but still great. 

Another thing I want to say that I really appreciate is the scorecard. I don't really carry one anymore which is a bit abnormal, but it is great that it has it built in. The last thing that I really like and have enjoyed is what I call the score ring. It shows different colors for eagles, birdies, pars, bogeys, doubles and worse. It is a quick little visual that can give you an idea of where you are at with the score and again one that I really like. 

Today recovery was very meh, but I am looking forward to starting the round and seeing what I can do. Comp this Sunday at a pretty hard course so hope to get a good solid round in and go from there!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I am really going to have to recommend that Garmin introduce a toddler mode. 

Reason? Well I think my sleep and such given the two little ones is always going to be at a deficit. Not really a problem, just the nature of being a dad and so on. The kids also love the watch and to play with the buttons/screen. The lock mode is great and thank goodness it has it. 

I have had the watch for nearly a month now and just have it on charge now for maybe the fourth time. The battery life still astonishes me and today I am going to see if I can do a better job at shot tracking without the CT10 sensors. 

Not sure how well it will work and may depend on how busy the course is, but still great. 

Another thing I want to say that I really appreciate is the scorecard. I don't really carry one anymore which is a bit abnormal, but it is great that it has it built in. The last thing that I really like and have enjoyed is what I call the score ring. It shows different colors for eagles, birdies, pars, bogeys, doubles and worse. It is a quick little visual that can give you an idea of where you are at with the score and again one that I really like. 

Today recovery was very meh, but I am looking forward to starting the round and seeing what I can do. Comp this Sunday at a pretty hard course so hope to get a good solid round in and go from there!

hit 'em straight boss! (the golf balls, not the toddler) 😁

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Good to see so many reviews on the Garmin S70. I recently moved to S70 from the S60. Garmin in UAE had offered a Trade-in as my older one was having battery issues after 5 years. It was a great offer they made. A shout out to Garmin and its agent in UAE, AMIT International.

The GPS and yardages have been very close to the actuals on the courses played so far.

The Virtual Caddy club suggestions are close to the ones used, taking into account my stock yardages for each club.

I do not like wearing a watch will sleeping so will not get good results for Sleep and Body battery.

It is my daily wear watch otherwise.

Driver - Ping 430Max

Fairway Woods - Taylor Made 3&5

Irons - Takomo 201s

Wedges - Takomo Skyforgers

Putter - MacGregor

Feedback on Using the Garmin S70: The Good and the Bad

These last two weeks have been busy, despite my silence on the forum. Aside from dealing with some personal issues, I’ve been hosting a friend from France for a 10-day golf trip. We’ve already played 10 rounds on 9 different courses here in Quebec.

Here is a picture during our round at CGIM - Irish Course (Montreal, QC, Canada)
IMG_4078.jpeg.41f6fd05bc7f0d449e2797b8d6f0185a.jpeg

As you can imagine, the Garmin S70 watch has been under constant testing and has proven to be very useful. Here is a list of the good and bad points so far.

Good Points:

1. Accurate Yardage
    The yardage provided by the Garmin S70 is very precise. I never have doubts about the distances given, and the performance of my clubs aligns well with the distances indicated. I compared it with Arccos, GolfShot, and a friend’s rangefinder. The distances vary by +/- 2 yards, which is very acceptable for a player of my level.
  2. Plays Like" Functionality
    The "plays like" feature is highly appreciated. I wasn’t used to having this information, so my choices are now more informed than before. This functionality takes into account elevation changes and weather conditions, providing more accurate shot recommendations.
  3. Score Ring
    The "score ring" feature is super easy for tracking the performance of previous holes at a glance. Of course, you need to be familiar with the associated colors, but once you are, it’s a great tool.
  4. Virtual Caddie
    The virtual caddie functionality is very practical, with distance visualizations directly on the course layout based on the chosen club. This helps in making strategic decisions during the game.
    IMG_4053.jpeg.2d7e75bf505e428af11bc5c2473dc6fe.jpeg
  5. Health Data
    The health data tracking is really useful. As mentioned by @GolfSpy_APH, it becomes an integral part of my daily life monitoring my sleep, stress, steps, recovery, HRV, calories, and Body Battery. The end-of-day notifications encourage me to adopt good habits.
  6. Performance of the OS
    The watch’s operating system is efficient. The GPS is quick, the notification system is pleasant, and the alarm, reminders, night/dark mode, and other functionalities are well thought out and easy to use.
  7. Comfortable Wear
    The watch is super comfortable to wear regardless of the outfit, activity, or context. It feels invisible on the wrist and integrates seamlessly into my daily life.
  8. Multi-Sport Use
    The watch is useful for a variety of sports. I’ve used it for weightlifting, cycling, running, and even on the elliptical. The data collected is accurate and complements the use of the watch.

Bad Points:

1. Disappointing Sensors
    The CT10 sensors are a real disappointment. They aren’t comfortable and often register swings without reason, as @cburins mentioned. The putter sensor is unattractive and even annoying when gripping. Additionally, the sensors can fall off without any shock. I officially lost the sensor on my 7-iron yesterday (👋 @revkev). I’ll reassign the putter sensor to the 7-iron for the remainder of the test period. I won’t keep these sensors on my clubs and will reinstall the Arccos sensors afterward.
  2. Overly Cautious Virtual Caddie
    The virtual caddie is, in my opinion, too cautious. It suggests lay-ups on 80% of the shots. Just yesterday, on a risk-free par-5 (no water hazards, bunkers, etc.) with a wide fairway, it suggested teeing off with my 7-iron instead of the driver. I didn’t follow the advice; otherwise, I would never have been able to attack the green in two shots. On another par-5, it suggested a lay-up 130 yards before the river on shot 3, whereas I could easily carry the river at 155 yards try tohit the green in regulation. Pretty weird advice...
  3. Poor Tree Management
    The watch doesn’t properly account for trees on the course. For example, it might suggest playing towards the flag even though there’s no angle of attack due to trees, or it might recommend a lay-up when I could attack over the trees on a dogleg.
  4. Non-Intuitive Mobile App
    The mobile app is neither intuitive nor ergonomic. Although the displayed data is interesting and useful, the app’s design is quite awful, and its usability is very limited.
  5. Body Battery Glitch
    The Body Battery score doesn’t drop below 5/100. After several tests, the score remains at 5 even after a round of golf. This is strange and likely a glitch.
  6. Outdated Watch OS
    The watch’s operating system feels a bit outdated. Although it’s very functional, the UI/UX of the watch’s built-in app lags behind what Apple offers with the Apple Watch, for example.

Conclusion:

These points still need confirmation, but I can already say that I am very satisfied and pleasantly surprised by the Garmin S70. It far exceeds my expectations. However, the CT10 sensors are significantly behind the competition and are a real disappointment.

On a personal note I hit my BEST SCORE (84) during a golf round at La Tempête. One of the best (or the best) golf course in Quebec, Canada. Based on the Garmin S70, I'm now a 14.7 HCP!
IMG_4106.jpeg.45b56824447afc8607df1b855d404e61.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg.74bd7f330a87c6526b033a0f1f6c2ac2.jpegIMG_4098.jpeg.78ebd6f79be0bda06c3f7148ac960c46.jpeg

Stay tuned for further updates!

Edited by CorentinV

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 14.7 | Best Round 84 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC, Canada) | La Tempête, Lévis (QC, Canada)
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 | Titleist Velocity
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

5 minutes ago, CorentinV said:

Feedback on Using the Garmin S70: The Good and the Bad

These last two weeks have been busy, despite my silence on the forum. Aside from dealing with some personal issues, I’ve been hosting a friend from France for a 10-day golf trip. We’ve already played 10 rounds on 9 different courses here in Quebec.

Here is a picture during our round at CGIM - Irish Course (Montreal, QC, Canada)
IMG_4078.jpeg.41f6fd05bc7f0d449e2797b8d6f0185a.jpeg

As you can imagine, the Garmin S70 watch has been under constant testing and has proven to be very useful. Here is a list of the good and bad points so far.

Good Points:

1. Accurate Yardage
    The yardage provided by the Garmin S70 is very precise. I never have doubts about the distances given, and the performance of my clubs aligns well with the distances indicated. I compared it with Arccos, GolfShot, and a friend’s rangefinder. The distances vary by +/- 2 yards, which is very acceptable for a player of my level.
  2. Plays Like" Functionality
    The "plays like" feature is highly appreciated. I wasn’t used to having this information, so my choices are now more informed than before. This functionality takes into account elevation changes and weather conditions, providing more accurate shot recommendations.
  3. Score Ring
    The "score ring" feature is super easy for tracking the performance of previous holes at a glance. Of course, you need to be familiar with the associated colors, but once you are, it’s a great tool.
  4. Virtual Caddie
    The virtual caddie functionality is very practical, with distance visualizations directly on the course layout based on the chosen club. This helps in making strategic decisions during the game.
    IMG_4053.jpeg.2d7e75bf505e428af11bc5c2473dc6fe.jpeg
  5. Health Data
    The health data tracking is really useful. As mentioned by @GolfSpy_APH, it becomes an integral part of my daily life monitoring my sleep, stress, steps, recovery, HRV, calories, and Body Battery. The end-of-day notifications encourage me to adopt good habits.
  6. Performance of the OS
    The watch’s operating system is efficient. The GPS is quick, the notification system is pleasant, and the alarm, reminders, night/dark mode, and other functionalities are well thought out and easy to use.
  7. Comfortable Wear
    The watch is super comfortable to wear regardless of the outfit, activity, or context. It feels invisible on the wrist and integrates seamlessly into my daily life.
  8. Multi-Sport Use
    The watch is useful for a variety of sports. I’ve used it for weightlifting, cycling, running, and even on the elliptical. The data collected is accurate and complements the use of the watch.

Bad Points:

1. Disappointing Sensors
    The CT10 sensors are a real disappointment. They aren’t comfortable and often register swings without reason, as @cburins mentioned. The putter sensor is unattractive and even annoying when gripping. Additionally, the sensors can fall off without any shock. I officially lost the sensor on my 7-iron yesterday (👋 @revkev). I’ll reassign the putter sensor to the 7-iron for the remainder of the test period. I won’t keep these sensors on my clubs and will reinstall the Arccos sensors afterward.
  2. Overly Cautious Virtual Caddie
    The virtual caddie is, in my opinion, too cautious. It suggests lay-ups on 80% of the shots. Just yesterday, on a risk-free par-5 (no water hazards, bunkers, etc.) with a wide fairway, it suggested teeing off with my 7-iron instead of the driver. I didn’t follow the advice; otherwise, I would never have been able to attack the green in two shots. On another par-5, it suggested a lay-up 130 yards before the river on shot 3, whereas I could easily carry the river at 155 yards try tohit the green in regulation. Pretty weird advice...
  3. Poor Tree Management
    The watch doesn’t properly account for trees on the course. For example, it might suggest playing towards the flag even though there’s no angle of attack due to trees, or it might recommend a lay-up when I could attack over the trees on a dogleg.
  4. Non-Intuitive Mobile App
    The mobile app is neither intuitive nor ergonomic. Although the displayed data is interesting and useful, the app’s design is quite awful, and its usability is very limited.
  5. Body Battery Glitch
    The Body Battery score doesn’t drop below 5/100. After several tests, the score remains at 5 even after a round of golf. This is strange and likely a glitch.
  6. Outdated Watch OS
    The watch’s operating system feels a bit outdated. Although it’s very functional, the UI/UX of the watch’s built-in app lags behind what Apple offers with the Apple Watch, for example.

Conclusion:

These points still need confirmation, but I can already say that I am very satisfied and pleasantly surprised by the Garmin S70. It far exceeds my expectations. However, the CT10 sensors are significantly behind the competition and are a real disappointment.

On a personal note I hit my BEST SCORE (84) during a golf round at La Tempête. One of the best (or the best) golf course in Quebec, Canada.
IMG_4106.jpeg.45b56824447afc8607df1b855d404e61.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg.74bd7f330a87c6526b033a0f1f6c2ac2.jpegIMG_4098.jpeg.78ebd6f79be0bda06c3f7148ac960c46.jpeg

Stay tuned for further updates!

We decided in Kingsmill that the body battery doesn't go below 5 because if you hit zero well... You won't be breathing anymore 😉

It is interesting it doesn't go below 5, but I do understand it. If your body battery is truly at 0 then you're not breathing.

Great post and great insights.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

We decided in Kingsmill that the body battery doesn't go below 5 because if you hit zero well... You won't be breathing anymore 😉

It is interesting it doesn't go below 5, but I do understand it. If your body battery is truly at 0 then you're not breathing.

Great post and great insights.

Totally agree for the consequences of a 0/100 body battery. But there are still some figues below 5 😉

In addition, if we are considering 5/100 as the lower Body Battey score possible:

• Does it mean I can’t be much more tired, stressed or whatever?
  • Does it mean my body battery is the same after playing a 18-holes course whereas I started it with a body battery of 5/100 and finished it with a 5/100 body battery score too?
  • Finally, does this not call into question the relevance and precision of the body battery?

@cburins, @revkev@VernL4, @GolfSpy_APH and all Garmin’s users, what are your thoughts about that?

Thank you!

Edited by CorentinV

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 14.7 | Best Round 84 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC, Canada) | La Tempête, Lévis (QC, Canada)
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 | Titleist Velocity
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

9 minutes ago, CorentinV said:

Totally agree for the consequences of a 0/100 body battery. But there are still some figues below 5 😉

In addition, if we are considering 5/100 as the lower Body Battey score possible:

• Does it mean I can’t be much more tired, stressed or whatever?
  • Does it mean my body battery is the same after playing a 18-holes course whereas I started it with a body battery of 5/100 and finished it with a 5/100 body battery score too?
  • Finally, does this not call into question the relevance and precision of the body battery?

@cburins, @revkev@VernL4, @GolfSpy_APH and all Garmin’s users, what are your thoughts about that?

Thank you!

So even thought it shows 5 I believe it continues a backend count. Kingsmill outing was a perfect example as there were days I started at 20 and was at 5 by noon. I still kept on my day, but I was never able to get a true recovery and was playing catch up the whole time. Where as now if I have a full day and get down to 5 at the end of the day and get a half decent recover I will be back up to mid 60's. I rarely start a day above 70 with the amount I sleep and the kids being up several times throughout the night. 

So this is all to say I think there is some back end magic that penalizes you for going beyond 5 and yeah when I am at 5 I am exhausted. I can find room to keep going, but it's a running on fumes type deal and there are definitely mental lapses that happen. Whether golfing or daily routines. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW