Play the ball up or down?

Play the ball up, down, or a combination?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Please make your selection below.

Obviously, the rules of golf do not allow for a golfer to improve their lie by playing it up.  However, most recreational golfers I see play the ball up.  In fact, the league play at my course allows for a player to improve the lie of their ball by the length of one scorecard.  At my course, if you play the ball down, you are in for a difficult round due to the inconsistency of the rough, meaning clumps of grass, bare lies in places, and rocky areas.  Many golfers say the game is much more fun if you play the ball up.  Due to the condition of my course, I personally play the ball up most of the time, which means my handicap rating should have an * beside it.  For the past couple of weeks, I have been playing the ball down in the rough and up in the fairway, which follows the rules of our club championship tournament.  

So the question is, do you play it up, down, or a combination of the two?

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/ProLaunch 45 S

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Ping G430 Max 5 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 Max 7 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 4 hyrid w/AltaCB 70 R

Toura Golf CB 6-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° GW and Vokey Sm10 wedges 52° and 57°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Always play it down, even when playing a couple balls during non peak times. 

the fun for me is playing the ball as it lies. I want my score to be what it is facing the challenges of playing golf by the rules

most amateurs like laying the ball up because they want to see a lower score on their scorecard and choose to do it the easy way. Same reason most want free drops from gravel areas around the course or a tree root rather than take the unplayable lie. 

the only times I play the ball up is if LCP/preferred lies are in effect, it’s a scramble or an old work league because the guy who ran it because he couldn’t stop tne hacks from doing it so made it fair for everyone by playing it up.

3 minutes ago, David Leighton Reid said:

For our casual play, we play the ball up in the fairway and down off the fairway.
We even lift off the fairway in conditions where a club may be damaged.  Everyone pretends not to notice in a situation like that.

There are usually only a few instances where a ball in the fairway needs to be moved, however, as our maintenance is quite good.   A divot would be an example.  We don't get to move the ball to get a flatter lie, to avoid an obstruction in our shot line, or anything like that. Any ground under repair is clearly marked.

I'm all for playing the strict rules of golf if that's what one prefers, but we're just a group of seniors having a little fun while we still can.

I prefer to play the ball down because I like to play by the rules of golf. However if I’m playing in a league or tournament that allows for the ball to be moved in some fashion I will observe that local rule. Recently I changed country clubs because of poor course conditions - there is not enough white paint in the world to cover all of the ground under repair there so it was always move the ball in the fairway and call your opponent over for a ruling in the rough - ridiculous to me - if you hit it in the rough you should just play it regardless - bare spots can be penal too. That’s life. 

I also changed leagues back to one that plays it down. 

In casual rounds I don’t care what others do - I’m generally playing it down unless something is marked otherwise. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I think the challenge and the fun of golf is that you play it as it lies unless you get a free drop like from a cart path.  

Sometimes the golfing gods look favourably upon you and sometimes they don’t…. 😂

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I prefer to play the ball down because I like to play by the rules of golf. 

That’s life. 

Thank you.  That explains it perfectly, Rev.
Golf is part of life for you.
For me, it's a needed opportunity to ignore life for a few hours.

You play with all sorts of people.
I play with the same gang of geriatric miscreants who are seeking the same things from the game that I am.  

I'm with the traditionalists. 

And I'm a guy who does not maintain a handicap nor play competitively. 

But that's just me. As the cool kids say, you do you ...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

I play it as it lies unless I'm at the risk of club damage or personal injury. I'm not swinging in front of a tree root sticking up or out of a gravel pit or anything crazy like that. I'm not sponsored, so if I break something it comes out of my pocket. Also, I'm too far along in life to get over sprains and breaks quickly. So I move the ball as little as possible, but still out of any severe danger zone. But, if it's just a really crappy lie, that's how the cookie crumbles as they say. I just deal with it. I will note that I do not play competitively. Maybe some friendly competition between friends but that's about it.

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

5 hours ago, David Leighton Reid said:

... David, I think one of the truly unique things about this amazing game is you can play it anyway you like. The game is just insanely difficult and some like the challenge of a game unfair by design. There is something very satisfying about hitting a good shot out of a divot but also something satisfying about moving the ball out if the divot and hitting a good shot  if you don't have the skill to successfully pull off the shot. Taking a mulligan or breakfast ball is routinely exercised by many that play the game but there is also something rewarding about recovering from a poor opening tee shot. 

... I play the ball down because I like the challenge. My regular group has one individual that adheres strictly to the rules under every circumstance, a few others that mostly follow the rules and will take a ball out of a divot and two that roll the ball everywhere. My 82 yr old rolls the ball everywhere and has a hard time following his shots. I feel he has earned that right because it enhances his enjoyment. We occasionally have team twosome matches for fun and how we play or don't play by the rules doesn't enter into it. We are typical muni golfers that love the game and play at our own comfort level. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

If I am playing causally with my higher handicap friends I always tell them to play it up.  Golf is more fun when you hit good shots and they dont keep score, they want to play and have a good time.

Personally, if the local rules say up, I'll play it up.  I also will move a ball off a root in the woods.  Not because I care about preserving the looks of my clubs...I have to work tomorrow and I can't afford to injure myself over some arcane rules that ideologically I disagree with.  But that's another topic.  Unless this one goes on for several pages...in that case I'll see you then 🙂

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Haile said:

I play it as it lies unless I'm at the risk of club damage or personal injury. I'm not swinging in front of a tree root sticking up or out of a gravel pit or anything crazy like that. I'm not sponsored, so if I break something it comes out of my pocket. Also, I'm too far along in life to get over sprains and breaks quickly. So I move the ball as little as possible, but still out of any severe danger zone. But, if it's just a really crappy lie, that's how the cookie crumbles as they say. I just deal with it. I will note that I do not play competitively. Maybe some friendly competition between friends but that's about it.

You don’t have to damage you or your club. If using handicap or playing by the rules you declare unplayable and take the appropriate drop.

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... David, I think one of the truly unique things about this amazing game is you can play it anyway you like. The game is just insanely difficult and some like the challenge of a game unfair by design. There is something very satisfying about hitting a good shot out of a divot but also something satisfying about moving the ball out if the divot and hitting a good shot  if you don't have the skill to successfully pull off the shot. Taking a mulligan or breakfast ball is routinely exercised by many that play the game but there is also something rewarding about recovering from a poor opening tee shot. 

... I play the ball down because I like the challenge. My regular group has one individual that adheres strictly to the rules under every circumstance, a few others that mostly follow the rules and will take a ball out of a divot and two that roll the ball everywhere. My 82 yr old rolls the ball everywhere and has a hard time following his shots. I feel he has earned that right because it enhances his enjoyment. We occasionally have team twosome matches for fun and how we play or don't play by the rules doesn't enter into it. We are typical muni golfers that love the game and play at our own comfort level. 

Well said, Sam!  You are so right about the satisfaction one feels after hitting a good shot from a nasty lie.  Golf is THE hardest sport I ever tried to be competent at.  When I am at a nice course, I play the ball down.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/ProLaunch 45 S

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Ping G430 Max 5 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 Max 7 wood w/Ping Tour 2.0 65 R

Ping G430 4 hyrid w/AltaCB 70 R

Toura Golf CB 6-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° GW and Vokey Sm10 wedges 52° and 57°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Like most have said, it depends a bit on who I am playing with and what rules are in effect. In the Tuesday scramble league I play in, you are allowed to play a ball one club length from the shot you choose to use. In that instance, I always play it up because everyone else does, it's a fun league and I'm not posting a score to my handicap. 

This past weekend when I was with my college buddies, we are all around the same handicap range and if one of us wanted to move the ball out of a fairway divot, so be it. If not, that was fine too. 

When I play in the member/guest at my course in July, full rules are in effect and you play the ball as it lies. So if a ball is deemed unplayable, you take the drop and a stroke as @RickyBobby_PR said.

At the end of the day, I am out on the course to enjoy it. If I am having a particularly difficult day and not playing well, yes, I will move my ball out of the occasional fairway divot. I would say more times than not, though, I am playing the ball as it lies.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

I play the ball down 99% of the time. The only times I will give myself a preferred lie is if it’s on rocks, tree roots, or I know there is a possibility of there being rocks under the hardpan. I’m lucky to have a well kept course but if I go to a muni that is in rough shape, I’m not taking the risk of damaging a club to play it as it lies.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°; Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue; Aldila Synergy 60S
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2; Ventus Red 60S
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 21°; UST Recoil ESX 480 F4
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex 2021 (4-AW); Elevate 115S
Wedges: :callaway-small: JAWS RAW 54° (10S) and 60° (10)
Putter: :scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2 
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :taylormade-small: 2024 TP5x

I play at muni courses almost exclusively and the grass/weed mix all over these courses can be troublesome to say the least.  The people that manage the courses lease them from the county and don't have tons of money for course upkeep. The group I play with has decided that if you've got a crappy lie go ahead and move the ball a bit.  We've been playing in these conditions for years, so we're used to it  We're just playing to have some fun and a little bit of friendly competition.