6X or 5X to Adjust for Swing Weight & Flex?

MLBoulder

I've been playing Ventus Black 6X (tipped 1.5") for 2 seasons now, so I was pumped to hit the new Ventus Black Velocore + today... Long story short, I hit Ventus TR Black significantly better than my gamer or anything else. Better dispersion, speed, spin, feel. They only had 6X though. 

My issue is after we decided it was the one and the fitter swing weighted it, we saw that it came out to E1.5. Ai smoke TD head. At first, I wasnt hitting anything really outstanding and then I noticed they only had a 2g and 7g weight in it. So, I changed the weights to match my gamer (2g and 18g with a swing weight of D5 at 45.25"), and the 6X black and TR black, both got better. Howeverbut the fitting head had an extra ~13 grams from the connector system.

So, I shouldn't play E1.5, right?

I'm thinking I need to go with something more standard, like D3-D5, right?

My concern is that if I just play the 6X without that extra 13g, it'll play a lot stiffer, right?

Should I go to a 5X instead to get a slightly weaker flex at a more typical D4 swing weight? I figure I can always tip a 5X if I need to make it stiffer, but can't make the 6X weaker. 

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, MLBoulder said:

So, I shouldn't play E1.5, right?

I'm thinking I need to go with something more standard, like D3-D5, right?

My concern is that if I just play the 6X without that extra 13g, it'll play a lot stiffer, right?

Should I go to a 5X instead to get a slightly weaker flex at a more typical D4 swing weight? I figure I can always tip a 5X if I need to make it stiffer, but can't make the 6X weaker. 

What do you recommend?

!

My opinion:

swingweight is meaningless.  I can make a piece of rebar swingweight at D3-D5  

Don’t guess if changing weight or shaft is better, you need to actually swing the club and have someone knowledgeable look at the performance numbers.

don’t purchase something unless you have tested the club and ensure that it works for your swing.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, MLBoulder said:

.. Long story short, I hit Ventus TR Black significantly better than my gamer or anything else. Better dispersion, speed, spin, feel. They only had 6X though. 

My issue is after we decided it was the one and the fitter swing weighted it, we saw that it came out to E1.5.

I think @cnosil pretty much nailed it.

The elephant in the room is that you hit it much better than your current gamer - would it have made any difference knowing the swingweight beforehand? I'm guessing no, however the post-testing knowledge has sown a seed of self-doubt on the back of a number for measuring static balance, rather than overall performance.

The same goes for flex really - it's just a figure to label a shaft of a particular brand and a particular weight to a particular length. Using it as a yardstick to make a comparison with anything else is as previously stated - meaningless. The only metric that has any relevance is the one I've underlined above.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by jaskanski

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

My opinion:

swingweight is meaningless.  I can make a piece of rebar swingweight at D3-D5  

Don’t guess if changing weight or shaft is better, you need to actually swing the club and have someone knowledgeable look at the performance numbers.

don’t purchase something unless you have tested the club and ensure that it works for your swing.  

100% this especially the bolded part. 

Get the right shaft length, weight and feel that gives the best performance and be done. Whether the swingweight is for that is what it is. Swingweight is a measurement I know alot of fitters and other club experts wish would go away.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I appreciate the thoughts here! 

Yeah, maybe I'm just falling into that trap of it's supposed to be in the low D range. 

The doubt only did come in after they swingweigted it 🙂

I guess is there a reason why people clubs don't generally SW that high?

Have you seen people better off going that high?

I've seen people better off by trying clubs out and seeing what works, so in essence you've done the hard work and the right thing already. The worst thing in the world is 'playing the label' as I call it.

There are many snobs out there saying 'uh...so you're only playing R-flex then?' when the response should so often be 'yup - and there's my ball ball in the middle of the fairway 20 yards in front of yours'. The label didn't make an iota of differnce - playing what makes it work did. Go figure.

11 hours ago, MLBoulder said:

I appreciate the thoughts here! 

Yeah, maybe I'm just falling into that trap of it's supposed to be in the low D range. 

The doubt only did come in after they swingweigted it 🙂

I guess is there a reason why people clubs don't generally SW that high?

Have you seen people better off going that high?

If it works, it works.... As many have already said, it doesn't matter the swing weight.  What matters, is it works for you, and you see positive results!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter