Where did you learn club building?

Our Sponsors

Well I did my first shaft pull and reshaft ever this weekend. Took the MP-62s apart to shift them all up by one shaft and it was a great experience. It was very easy, though definitely a learning experience. Next time I really think I'll want shafting beads or shims, because I'd like the heads to be a hair (literally) more snug before the epoxy dries. It may affect the lie angle. Either way, I saved a lot of money, and I'm assured that the quality of my work is up to my standards because I know where my level of attention to detail is (somewhere around OCD). Plus, if nothing else, I can just pull the heads and try again if I find anything wrong.

I have a more ambitious plan for my W/S FG Tour V2s, though I wouldn't even dream of enacting the plan until the next version come out so I can see if the new ones have a different sole. I'd like to grind off (or bevel, ideally) a small bit of the trailing edge to give them a more aggressive sole. We'll see. For now, I'll stick with they way things are now.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Keep in mind Paul, that as you do the grind, you'll be taking the chrome off. Either be prepaired to have them refinished, strip the chrome entirely or have the grinded spots blotchy.

I got into club building by helping a local fitter that does high end clients with shafts he wasn't familair with. Then ended up helping with some other tasks.

I loathe doing loft/lie changes as simple as they are so I'll pay someone else to do them. I take care of everything else now though. The investment in tools isn't huge and all it takes it changing your own grips for a couple of years instead of someone else to pay them off.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Keep in mind Paul, that as you do the grind, you'll be taking the chrome off. Either be prepaired to have them refinished, strip the chrome entirely or have the grinded spots blotchy.

I would be inclined to strip them and leave them, though I've read that stripped heads feel slightly less soft. If that's the case, then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it... I'd probably bevel the edge, and see how it looks, then I'd make the decision on stripping.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I would be inclined to strip them and leave them, though I've read that stripped heads feel slightly less soft. If that's the case, then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it... I'd probably bevel the edge, and see how it looks, then I'd make the decision on stripping.

Seems to be a debateable opinion about the feel change. Lots of people says it feels harder, then hits a raw club and says that's softer.

If you do end of striping them and want them refinished, have an eye ball for custom car shops. Lots of them are more then happy to chrome anything up you'd like for a fairly reasonable fee.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Just trimmed and gripped my last two clubs of the off-season (not sure when there will be an "on-season" in Minnesota) - a component 3-wood and a new shaft in a use Callaway FT-9 driver. The final inventory after a winter of club making (gamers listed first):

4 drivers (Titleist 910D2, 2 spare shafts with adapters, Mizuno MP-600 with a new grip, Weszty "Murder Weapon," Callaway FT-9 with Penley G2-85 shaft)

2 3-woods(Ping i20, Weszty FSA 15* with Penley G@-85 shaft)

4 Hybrids (Cleveland Mashie 19.5* & 23* reshafts with Talamonti H-100's, Weszty FSA 19* and 23* with Penley 85 Gram hybrid shafts, plus two extra Weszty heads in case I get tired of the Mashies)

3 sets of irons (Mizuno MP-59's, Hogan Apex Plus, Weszty Zt-C cavity backs with FST 125 shafts)

several wedges and 5 putters.

yes, I have become a HO!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I attended the Golfworks 5 day fitting and repair class

Completed the masters class at Golfworks

Completed the Rifle class at swing science.

among other certifications.

To learn about clubmaking I would recommend that group for a great atmosphere and great people.

There are however other companies.

Mitchell and Golfsmith.

Mitchell is still active and has a few classes with great equipment.

Golfworks may still have classes but the company is gearing more towards OEM stuff than component stuff.

Although not free as in surfing youtube and the forum the courses are packed with info, focus to the tasks and information is readily available without hunt and peck but it costs $$$$. IMO worth every penny

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I went to the Golfworks school through the PGA and then worked on a tour van for a year.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

15 years ago or so I got tired of not being able to find decent left handed clubs without spending crazy amounts of money. S I just decided to build a decent set myself, didn't know much about it, but said what the heck it's gotta be better than Kmart for the price, so went to golfsmith on the Internet, bought some midsize XPC-3, heads, 3-PW 8 bucks a pc. at the time, put them on some pro force 75 gold stiff, I think those were about 13 bucks back then, not sure, but anyway, put some golf pride tour velvet softies on and just went with it. Putting them together was easy, but again, I didn't have them weighted or anything like that, just put the together and went and played, it's actually quite a fun thing to do, I still have them and used them up until a couple of years ago when I bought the Mizunos. My game has progressed beyond my ability to build my own, I don't have the means to properly "fit" them, but for a "usable" set it is quite a fun and rewarding process, and it's fun to brag to everyone that you play with that you built your own set, and only spent about a couple hundred bucks from start to finish. I say build them and have fun doing it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Anyone interested in really getting into this I'd suggest joining these people. http://www.clubmakersguild.com/ Many of them are former PCS (Professional Clubmakers Society) which were the best in the business. I know about them because I was on the marketing committee for them (PCS). They are very helpful to anyone.

I've been kicking this idea around for a while given that they're located a half hour away. How was the program?

Duffer, if you do get there please report on the new forged wedge heads (the black ones). I'm very interested in them, need new 56 and possibly add a 60, and respect your ideas on these.

It can be a fun hobby during the winter months to keep your mind off of not being able to play, I used to live in SW lower Mich.

so around the new year I would really get the itch to play, so I would order some club stuff and build something, then I would ask around to anyone I knew who would want to have something built, and build some more for them, anything to keep occupied, I didn't go out and buy all of the equipment either, I just improvised with what I had, masking tape and hacksaw for graphite and a tube cutter for steel. Nothing fancy, just enough to get the job done, it took a little more work by hand, but that was okay. As I said before, it was something fun to do, and it is pretty easy unless you are looking to really make a gaming set, then you will need more equipment and tools to do it properly, but as a hobby you can make some usable clubs.

Lately the only club work I have done is to regrip and reshaft my driver. I also made a spine finder tool with a piece of tube and some bearings, the price they charge for one of those things is ridiculously stupid for what it actually is.

One other thing I was just thinking is that spine alignment doesn't matter with the adjustable drivers unless you know exactly which setting you are going to use.

• 3 months later...

I started way back when my Dad ran a golf course. He was not mechanically inclined so he did not do any club repair at all. I ordered a book from a company called Golf Day products out of Chicago. I still have that book. I started regripping. A friend of his ran a repair shop and was a master club builder at the time. He would buy persimmon blocks and make driver 3 woods etc. I was fortunate to get to spend time at his shop and for a 12 year old it was fascinating to say the least and I learned quite a bit. I got out of the business for a while and took it back up 13 years ago when we moved to the beach. I have always been mechanically inclined and have spent most of my life around heavy equipment, race cars and motorcycles. I got back into piddling with clubs. I was fortunate I went to an auction and bought out a bunch of equipment from a club repair shop that the owner had died and no one knew what they were bidding on and I got it cheap including my Silvestri Universal loft and lie machine. When a golfing buddy of mine decided to open up a shop I sorta went in with him lending him my equipment and working there some. When we closed up in 08 I put my equipment in my shop at the house and did some repair work for a friend of mine who ran her own golf and tennis shop. When she closed in 2010 I sorta lost heart for a while and put my equipment in storage. Last March I re done my building and set up shop again. I have a great friend who is probably one of the best club fitters and builders on the beach I have learned a lot from him. I have also learned a lot on this forum. I also watch videos on the internet and have several Maltby videos and I do experiment a lot especially with wedge grinds. It is fun and relaxing for me. I do sell and horse trade a lot and make a little money. if I was going to do it full time with a storefront etc I would move from here. there is too much competition here to make a serious go at it

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck