18 replies to this topic

#1 MyGolfSpy

MyGolfSpy

GOLF INTEL

• Administrators
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

OFFICIAL WORD ON DEVELOPMENT:

This is a Tour Utility iron that is rolling out on Tour this week and a project/design of Roger Cleveland’s. There are no immediate plans to make it available commercially, although it might depending on how well it is received by tour staff and consumers. Right now, the only models available are at the Byron Nelson.

Attached Images

• callaway-x-utility-2012-1.jpg
  • callaway-x-utility-2012-2.jpg

"Golf's Bureau Of Investigation"

The MyGolfSpy Forum:
Posted Image Find us on: Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 RoverRick

RoverRick

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,948 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:2

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

I guess it is the angle but that blade looks like it is a foot long. 24* is not much of a driving iron.

Instinct Putting

2012 KBS Shaft Review

In my
:taylormade-small:golf bag today.

Driver -  :taylormade-small:  R9 Super Deep 10.5" / Miyazaki C Kua 43 / Best Grips Oversized Classic Leather Grips

3 Wood - :titelist-small: 913F 15*  / Project X PXV S/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small: Edge CFT ti 18* /Graphite Design Tour ADDI S/Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small: Edge CFT  21&24* /KBS C Taper S/Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Irons -     :ping-small:  S56 4-P  / KBS C Taper S/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips
Wedge-  :callaway-small:  Forged Copper 52 & 58 & 64* / KBS Hi Rev Wedge / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Putter - :cameron-small: Coronado with BestGrip Major Leaguer Leather Putter Grip

Balls - :titelist-small:  Pro V1x
Shoes - :footjoy-small:

post-14368-079422000%201371736688.jpg

#3 apprenti23

apprenti23

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

I wouldn't say it's a driving iron- don't know why people even call them that considering ive never seen an iron with less than 17* loft and I don't know anyone who plays a 17* driver so.... Yea....

They're "utility irons" as what's stated on the heads. I've played the old x tour utilities since they came out years ago and I'm ready for an update. Not bc mine is worn but bc I'm bored of it. If this club looks feels and plays like the old x your utility irons then I'm all in. I had them in all three lofts but now only have a couple 21*s.

#4 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 4,948 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

I have a Mizuno 24* FLI HI (4iron) that I love. I have been seriously considering getting the 21 and 18 degrees. The main reason I have not is because the have a .355 taper tip and I like the KBS Hyrid shafts. And to be honest they will have a very difficult time out performing my old Hogan's. I may get some and bore then out to .370 but I am hitting the set up I have so good.

So good in fact that this afternoon we had a guy join us for the last 5 holes and on one hole I pulled out a hybrid and heard the guy tell the other "Oh no, he is getting out the sniper rifles again. He's killing me all day with them." it is great to have three clubs the you absolutely know are going to go 190, 210, 225 in a straight line and can bend it you need too. Off the tee they are even longer.

Instinct Putting

2012 KBS Shaft Review

In my

Driver -  :taylormade-small:  R9 Super Deep 10.5" / Miyazaki C Kua 43 / Best Grips Oversized Classic Leather Grips

3 Wood - :titelist-small: 913F 15*  / Project X PXV S/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small: Edge CFT ti 18* /Graphite Design Tour ADDI S/Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small: Edge CFT  21&24* /KBS C Taper S/Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Irons -     :ping-small:  S56 4-P  / KBS C Taper S/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips
Wedge-  :callaway-small:  Forged Copper 52 & 58 & 64* / KBS Hi Rev Wedge / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Putter - :cameron-small: Coronado with BestGrip Major Leaguer Leather Putter Grip

#5 jmiller065

jmiller065

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

If you are looking at 19,21,24,27,31,35,38,43,47 (2i down to PW). Some sets lately have been doing the 4* split from 6i to 7 iron instead of 5i to 6i, so it turns the 6i into a 30* and everything bellow it is 1* stronger as well. So this is a 4 iron replacement, it looks good and I like the idea, I use the 4 iron on some tee boxes from time to time other then par 3s, some weird short par 4 and par 5 it's a better play then anything longer.

This is a great idea for people that still want a iron hook but also have a hybrid type performance getting the ball in the air easier. I'll be the first to admit hitting a 2, 3, 4iron espesually a blade is no easy task, so I like the idea, I almost got myself a 19* Mizuno FLI HI one time when i was in the market for a 2iron equivalent.

My Equipment
:adams-small:  Speedline Fast 12 LS 9.3* @ 44.50" w/ RT Technologies Ares LT (65g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19.0* @ 40.00" w/ RT Technologies Midas (98g) Stiff (Tipped 1")
:wilson_staff_small:  FG62 3i - 9i @ 38.75" - 35.75", 59.0* - 62.0* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 48-10 @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 54-12 @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)
Fourteen MT-28 V5 T.S. Black 60-M @ 35.25", 62.5* w/ KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff
:cameron-small:  Newport 2 (Carbon) -> 33", 69* lie, 4* loft, D3 w/ Lamkin Crossline Paddle Standard
Lamkin Crossline Full Cord M58, 2 build up wraps under right hand, 1 full double sided wrap

Favorite Quotes

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Albert Einstein
"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." ~ Bobby Jones

The genius of Bruce Rearick (bargolf):
1. Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them
2. It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

#6 barbajo

barbajo

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,017 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:11

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like you guys have had good luck with the FLI HI -- considered demo'ing it, but wound up happy with a couple of Cleveland Mashie's (20.5* and 23*). Put a good swing on 'em and like RR says - they're like sniper rifles.

Like the looks of this Callaway - although the head does look more like a foot than a head.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :taylormade-small:  R1, RIP Phenom 55 Gram shaft, stiff
FW Wood: :ping-small:  i20 15*, Project X Black shaft, 6.0
:adams-small: Tight Lies 16*, Mitsubishi Bassara shaft, stiff
Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2, 19* & 25*
Irons:  :mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts
Wedges:  :cobra-small: Trusty Rusty 51*, Carnahan 52*,  :benhogan-small:  5410 54*,  :scatch-golf-1:  8620 58*, 
Putter: Coutour "Gullane" 365 gram head, 32" shaft

#7 GolfSpy Frank

GolfSpy Frank

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 549 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Whats the science behind making the head like that? Or is it the picture that makes it seem longer and skinnier than it actually is?
Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Cobra AMP 10.5* with VTS Black Extra Stiff 75gram
3W:Cobra S2 14*
4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*
3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*
5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*
6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back
7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel
Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex
Putter: Odyssey Versa #9
Golfball: Srixon Q-Star YELLOW

#8 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

The science behind it is that lots of people can't hit hybrids. They struggle with them whether it be the look, confidence, etc. This is loads more forgiving than the traditional long iron but not quite large like a hybrid. This replaces long irons for those that struggle hitting them and can't hit a hybrid. It's nothing new, Controller had one in the 80's, PRGR has had them for a while, Fourteen is becoming quite popular (winner of The Players has one in his bag), Yonex's Zero Iron, Callaway's 2006 Utility, etc. They're a hair lower launching than their hybrid counterparts. They're also more iron like and for those that look down at a hybrid and see the headshape and swing it incorrectly like a fairway wood instead of the iron it replaces. This helps those types of persons.

MGS did Greg take these pics?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 version 2 LCG w/ Graphite Designs Tour AD DI 6X
Strong 3 wood: Nike SasQuatch 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: 4/21 TaylorMade Rescue11 set to neutral w/ Talamonti H100 X tipped to spec
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Lined and Filled CS at 34.25" 

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#9 MyGolfSpy

MyGolfSpy

GOLF INTEL

• Administrators
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

The problem with their growth compared to hybrids is actually how they have always been marketed to consumers. These get marketed as "driving irons" which has resulted in players for the most part only using them off the tee where the hybrid was marketed as a utility club and almost a replacement for people that struggle with fairway woods. True that generally they are lower launching than most hybrids, although they could produce one that is more functional for a larger variety of shots. And I actually think it would perform better for most golfers compared to hybrids.

But long irons in golfers mind say one thing nowadays "hard to hit" and hybrids say "easier to hit"...of course this is for the average golfer. So hybrids became the trend and "driving irons" for the most part got phased out of production lines. Which honestly is a shame, because these could be very effective clubs for a large % of consumers.

These pics came from the Fujikura Rep via his Twitter account. No clue who actually was behind the camera. But I would doubt Greg posted an out of focus pic. But could be possible.

The science behind it is that lots of people can't hit hybrids. They struggle with them whether it be the look, confidence, etc. This is loads more forgiving than the traditional long iron but not quite large like a hybrid. This replaces long irons for those that struggle hitting them and can't hit a hybrid. It's nothing new, Controller had one in the 80's, PRGR has had them for a while, Fourteen is becoming quite popular (winner of The Players has one in his bag), Yonex's Zero Iron, Callaway's 2006 Utility, etc. They're a hair lower launching than their hybrid counterparts. They're also more iron like and for those that look down at a hybrid and see the headshape and swing it incorrectly like a fairway wood instead of the iron it replaces. This helps those types of persons.

MGS did Greg take these pics?

The MyGolfSpy Forum:

Posted Image

#10 apprenti23

apprenti23

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Heard from a decent source that these will NEVER make it to production.

Surprising if true :o

#11 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,513 posts
  • LocationEuharlee, GA
  • Handicap:10

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Heard from a decent source that these will NEVER make it to production.

Surprising if true :o

I'm sure if the consumers keep asking Cally about them, they'll come out. They said that about the blade Phil was putting with and then it did come out later. I like the more iron shaped hybrids (I played a 503.H and then AirMuscle for a long time and lots hated them). With the tour traction these types of clubs are getting (Fourteen, Yonex, etc), one will come to mass market sooner rather than later. May not be callaway, but someone will mass market one.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 version 2 LCG w/ Graphite Designs Tour AD DI 6X
Strong 3 wood: Nike SasQuatch 13* with Aldila NV 75X
3 Hybrid: Adams Super LSP w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: 4/21 TaylorMade Rescue11 set to neutral w/ Talamonti H100 X tipped to spec
5-7I : Tour Issued Adams CB2 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour issue S400 hardstepped 1x
8-GW: Tour Issued Adams CB1 w/ Dynamic Gold S400 hardstepped 1x

SW: 56* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Cleveland CG12 (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Lined and Filled CS at 34.25" 

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

#12 MyGolfSpy

MyGolfSpy

GOLF INTEL

• Administrators
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

OFFICIAL WORD ON DEVELOPMENT:

This is a Tour Utility iron that is rolling out on Tour this week and a project/design of Roger Cleveland’s. There are no immediate plans to make it available commercially, although it might depending on how well it is received by tour staff and consumers. Right now, the only models available are at the Byron Nelson.

The MyGolfSpy Forum:

Posted Image

#13 Addicted2Golf

Addicted2Golf

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Handicap:16

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

I swear by Cobra's Baffler Hybrids. I'm on my third generation of them. But then, I'm a sweeper so a hyrbid fits my swing better than most.
Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue
Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum
Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore
Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core
Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore
Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT
Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner
Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

#14 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 4,948 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

I thought, am still thinking, about the Mizunos simply so that when someone asks what I hit I can say 2 iron. ;)

But the face does not have the pop that the titanium hybrids do on partial shots. And my hybrids do everything I ask them to do.

Instinct Putting

2012 KBS Shaft Review

In my

#15 Stuart81

Stuart81

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationLondon, England
  • Handicap:Pro

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

imho I like the look of it

Stuart
Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;
Scotty Cameron Newport oil can
All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop
New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver
RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable
RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable
RocketBladez Tour
ATV wedges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      17 Apr
    hckymeyer

I just had to move my golf cart so I could get my snow blower out...

Show comments (8)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors