What % of golfers can break 100/90/80/70  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average score?

• I shoot 100+
    • I shoot 90+
    • I shoot 80+
    • I shoot 70+
    • I shoot 60+

Competition rounds are different than playing round for most people. You can't practice for that kind of pressure. I used to race mountain bike, I trained like crazy for my first race but could never put myself thru the sustain pain that the race requires. At the race, right after the bang of the gun I immediately can find my red line.

I have not done well in tournament but do enjoy the tingling sensation of the pressure to do well among my peers. The highs and lows are too much for me sometimes. Some people are not cut out for this kind of things, I humbly accept that. I'll keep trying till I hit the breakthrough.

I tend to score better in tournaments. I focus on chips and putts much more and generally just play safe smarter golf

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I shoot anywhere from 90-100 consistently, and I'm still working on breaking 90. I've got plenty of time left to break 90 and even 80, but the day has yet to come..

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

My average score is right around 80, my HI typically varies from a high around 6 to a low (last year for a bit ) around 3.  I'd read somewhere that fewer than half of all golfers ever break 90.  For regular golfers, I'm sure the scoring is better.  Not all regular golfers keep a handicap, so I'd bet that the USGA handicap statistics reflect a slightly better group of players.  Even so, they show only 15 to 20% would average 80 or better, and something like half would average 90 or better.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My average score is right around 80, my HI typically varies from a high around 6 to a low (last year for a bit ) around 3. I'd read somewhere that fewer than half of all golfers ever break 90. For regular golfers, I'm sure the scoring is better. Not all regular golfers keep a handicap, so I'd bet that the USGA handicap statistics reflect a slightly better group of players. Even so, they show only 15 to 20% would average 80 or better, and something like half would average 90 or better.

This is pretty much my thoughts and what I have read elsewhere.

Like mentioned the chart only tracks those with official indexes. I see hundreds of golfers a week at my course who have no chance of breaking 100 if they are scoring honestly.

From listening to them talk, I'm pretty sure most do not have an index.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Not real sure how to answer. I used to shoot in the 70's about 40% of my rounds, now I am in the 90s more often than the 70s, with the majority in the 80s. Old age is taking its toll.

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I'd like to classify "good golfer" by dividing into those who play to better handicap towards playing tournaments, and those who play to just gave fun. I'm confident the majority are in the second half and don't regularly report scores. As for me I shoot 90-100, but have an awesome time doing it.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Not real sure how to answer. I used to shoot in the 70's about 40% of my rounds, now I am in the 90s more often than the 70s, with the majority in the 80s. Old age is taking its toll.

I'm asking because age, life situation and injuries are taking their toll on my game - do you think this is more mental for you or physical?

Honestly other than the social element I don't like to play golf anymore. My last two rounds have been 79 and 80. I can't say that I hit a single good shot in either round. I certainly didn't hit a shot that I enjoyed. I loved the company and the fun that I had with the people whom I played with but frankly it could just as well have been time spent bowling or at a ball game.

I'm a shadow of what I was even five years ago and can't see how I would be able to get it back. There's not enough time and I have other priorities. I guess that I will have to learn to accept crappy play, particularly ball striking, as my new norm if I want to keep my current set of friends.

All that I can say is that it is stunningly easy to break 80. Just keep the ball in play, don't do anything stupid and learn to chip and putt. I'm able to keep my index in the 5's and break 80 on a course that is brutally difficult about a third of the time with that formula.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm asking because age, life situation and injuries are taking their toll on my game - do you think this is more mental for you or physical?

Honestly other than the social element I don't like to play golf anymore. My last two rounds have been 79 and 80. I can't say that I hit a single good shot in either round. I certainly didn't hit a shot that I enjoyed. I loved the company and the fun that I had with the people whom I played with but frankly it could just as well have been time spent bowling or at a ball game.

I'm a shadow of what I was even five years ago and can't see how I would be able to get it back. There's not enough time and I have other priorities. I guess that I will have to learn to accept crappy play, particularly ball striking, as my new norm if I want to keep my current set of friends.

All that I can say is that it is stunningly easy to break 80. Just keep the ball in play, don't do anything stupid and learn to chip and putt. I'm able to keep my index in the 5's and break 80 on a course that is brutally difficult about a third of the time with that formula.

I know when Dawg sees this he will respond however I do know he has been fighting a bad back for quite some time now.  Obviously when an injury starts affecting your performance by taking away a level of play you are use to, it can become a mental issue. There is nothing worse in sports than knowing you had the talent to perform at a certain level and have it taken away. Especially in the game of golf where generally folks can play this game well into their golden years. The thing being those days when the game seemed much easier becomes days when you struggle around the course.  I deal with joint issues on the right side of my body so I understand trying to play through discomfort.  Not fun. The thing is for those of us who played different sports earlier in life, we plod on and once we allow those expectations to become more realistic, the more we can enjoy our passion.  Playing well is only one aspect of golf and it's all too often taken as the main element. At a certain age or skill level, we should look at golf totally different.  The social aspect should be put higher on the ladder and enjoying the game with your friends should be the primary goal.  No doubt many of us grew up very competitive in our chosen sports and it's hard not to want to be our very best. The problem comes when we let that drive destroy what should be a fun outing with the boys.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Outstanding words ole gray!!!!! I love being on the course and I love my friends. I hate the golf part is all. I just need to learn to see golf as the means for getting together with my friends and meeting more people.

My closest friends didn't start playing regularly until later in life so they continue to improve a bit as we move into our 60's. I need to learn to take that into account as we get older as well. They are in better shape than I, one is retired already and another one only works to have meaning and purpose, he doesn't need the money. He belongs to three clubs. They both play close to 200 rounds a year. The fact that I still beat them and have to give them strokes is remarkable.

At any rate establishing reasonable expectations without allowing some goals to strive for is important for me at this point.

I wish I could play a round with Ole Gray - perhaps that might be my first goal.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That's just awesome rev.

I think at this point in my life, if I continue playing as I play now I'd be shooting below 80 so I'd have a shot at shooting my age sometime in a distance future. I imagine that it would get harder as you get older.

Outstanding words ole gray!!!!! I love being on the course and I love my friends. I hate the golf part is all. I just need to learn to see golf as the means for getting together with my friends and meeting more people.

My closest friends didn't start playing regularly until later in life so they continue to improve a bit as we move into our 60's. I need to learn to take that into account as we get older as well. They are in better shape than I, one is retired already and another one only works to have meaning and purpose, he doesn't need the money. He belongs to three clubs. They both play close to 200 rounds a year. The fact that I still beat them and have to give them strokes is remarkable.

At any rate establishing reasonable expectations without allowing some goals to strive for is important for me at this point.

I wish I could play a round with Ole Gray - perhaps that might be my first goal.

Good Lord willing and the creak don't rise this will happen! 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So with all the people on here that shoot 90-100, do you buy new clubs every 2 or so years and if so why?

What's in my Bag:

:callaway-small: GBB Epic. 9.0°. 75g Rogue Max (X-Stiff) or  :adams-small: Speedline Super S. 9.5°. Matrix (X-Stiff)

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage II Tour 3 & 5 wood. 75g stock (X-stiff)

:mizuno-small:  MP-68. X100.

:mizuno-small:  MP-32 6 iron. (Right handed)

:cleveland-small:  Precision Forged 52° & 58° Wedges

:odyssey-small:  Prototype Black (35") #9 or  :ping-small: Ping Pal 2 (35")

:taylormade-small:  Project (a),  :taylormade-small: Penta, or  :titelist-small:  ProV1X

Archived