Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

{Blog} The Biggest Non-Story in Golf Equipment for 2017

STUDque

Man, the blog is on fire today. Here's another.

https://mygolfspy.com/the-biggest-non-story-in-the-golf-equipment-world-for-2017/

The idea of putting hot-faced drivers in fitting carts was briefly alluded to during another thread where we discussed a potential "break-in period" for drivers. It's definitely something scandalous that, if true, would be difficult to recover from. To me, this one definitely felt plausible but had an anticlimactic ending since a definitive conclusion was never reached.

All asides aside, I think the fact that fitters didn't see a difference leans towards busting the myth than anything else. It would be interesting to see if that holds true in some of the highest sale volume locations in the US to see if "Company B" is just cherry picking which spots get the hot drivers.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Read the blog,  and I have to admit I am a little disappointed.   News agencies are always trying to get the scoop on things and leveraging their contacts and in the end sometimes there isn't a story or the story can't be proven.  In those cases you shouldn't print a story saying we heard some things but really can't prove anything.  The blog post kind of reminds me of supermarket tabloid mags.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yeah this one was a dud for me. If it wasn't borne out to be true then what's the story?

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

If nothing can be proved out.

Then the Rep spreading the rumors, needs to be called out.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Sorta related .. I'd heard a story that the big box stores juice up the distance number on their testing bay LMs (ie. to make you think you're hitting that new club oh soooo much further).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I thought the story was a dud. Like so much in the media today this article is and I hate to use this phrase... a big nothing burger. Ok, now that I've had my say I have a question for MGS.

I don't recall ever seeing any mention that Driver lofts were checked against stated spec's when testing of equipment. I'm assuming that if a driver is stamped as being 10* loft then that's what the test is. However, I don't find where a test is noted that the Test Club has a stamped loft of 10* but our spec check determined it's actually 9.5* or 10.5*. What's being put forth in the Most wanted testing is LM data. What about when adjusting a Driver. Let's say the standard neutral/stock loft position for a given driver is 10* but can be adjusted to 12*. Is it really 12*? 

Hybrids Yes. https://mygolfspy.com/spec-check-2017-most-wanted-hybrids/

2017 Most wanted Driver - How We Test

MyGolfSpy tested drivers with lofts of 9°/9.5° and 10°/10.5° in both regular and stiff flex.

As adjustability is a key part of many modern driver designs, MyGolfSpy does make use of the adjustment capabilities of each club, including loft/face angle, and any movable weight features. We make every reasonable effort to optimize each club for each tester.

https://mygolfspy.com/2017-most-wanted-drivers-how-we-test/

Several years ago I asked my fitter to check the loft on a Ping Rapture I was playing at the time. This particular driver is non-adjustable and stamped as 10.5*. It actually measured right at 10*. 

Going forward I'd like to see MGS include the spec mfg. lofts against those measured by MGS (because I trust what you guys say/find and not the Mfg.) prior to testing. 

Ok guys.... Tony, X, etc. You're free to rip me a new one.  :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Going forward I'd like to see MGS include the spec mfg. lofts against those measured by MGS (because I trust what you guys say/find and not the Mfg.) prior to testing. 

Ok guys.... Tony, X, etc. You're free to rip me a new one.  :)

Look under the labs section;  they also did fairway and driver.  Here is a link to the driver specs:  https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-spec-check-2017-drivers/

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Look under the labs section;  they also did fairway and driver.  Here is a link to the driver specs:  https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-spec-check-2017-drivers/

Yes... I only included hybrid. My bad.

However.... when MGS does a Most Wanted... I'd like to see them check the mfg. spec against their own in house equipment and publish that. And when they adjust a driver for a tester they should then recheck the lofts, etc. and see where they fall. No stones left unturned.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yes... I only included hybrid. My bad.

However.... when MGS does a Most Wanted... I'd like to see them check the mfg. spec against their own in house equipment and publish that. And when they adjust a driver for a tester they should then recheck the lofts, etc. and see where they fall. No stones left unturned.

You lost me with the check against inhouse equipment.  I know GolfSpy Sam was busy checking lengths and lofts against specs using equipment at the labs.   It would probably take a bit of extra time if there were to do the measurements each time they adjusted for the different testers/

I think that's why they do the caveat "stated specs."

From what I understand, the Most Wanted testing is done mostly stock throughout. There isn't much in the way of fitting or adjusting per each tester. Part of the reason would be for consistency across the group and I'm sure the other part is for simplicity.

Personally, I would love to see the Most Wanted tests fit the clubs to the players but I understand where that becomes a logistical and financial nightmare. The biggest impact it would probably have is the sample size would be shrunk significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think that's why they do the caveat "stated specs."

From what I understand, the Most Wanted testing is done mostly stock throughout. There isn't much in the way of fitting or adjusting per each tester. Part of the reason would be for consistency across the group and I'm sure the other part is for simplicity.

Personally, I would love to see the Most Wanted tests fit the clubs to the players but I understand where that becomes a logistical and financial nightmare. The biggest impact it would probably have is the sample size would be shrunk significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There is some adjustments made.   For example if the launch on a particular driver is really low or high it will be adjusted to get better launch angle.  If the manufacturer sends multiple shafts,  I believe they will change the shaft to something that works a little better.    It isn't a detailed fitting but they try to get reasonable results from each club.

There is some adjustments made. For example if the launch on a particular driver is really low or high it will be adjusted to get better launch angle. If the manufacturer sends multiple shafts, I believe they will change the shaft to something that works a little better. It isn't a detailed fitting but they try to get reasonable results from each club.

Yeah I guess that's kind of what I was thinking in regards to shafts. Am definitely surprised to see they adjust the loft as needed though.

Yeah I guess that's kind of what I was thinking in regards to shafts. Am definitely surprised to see they adjust the loft as needed though.

not a perfect system,   but they do their best with what is provided to help optimize the performance of each club.  

Archived