Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Metronome Beats - Mobile device tempo timer

Jon Brittan

You want to review a mobile phone app for music on a golf forum?

Yes, I do, but bear with me for just a minute, please. Feel free to call me a crank, but read a few more paragraphs first...

You will often hear teaching professionals and commentators talk about both rhythm and tempo in the golf swing.

You will also often watch a tour professional and think they look like they're barely swinging, while generating clubhead speeds you really wish you could achieve... This is the result of the rhythm of their swing, it may be fast but it's smooth and balanced...

I started playing golf two years ago and have taught myself. I'll cover more on my own background in golf shortly as I'll be reviewing the Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black irons for this site, but it was for that very reason that this week I wanted to make sure my ball-striking is currently about as good as I can hope for it to be at present.

Some of you will have heard of the Tour Tempo app, I can't vouch for it's merits or even suggest it has dis-merits, but it does cost money.

I wanted to make sure my swing tempo was good, so I downloaded a completely free metronome timer on Android

What is the App?

Metronome Beats

Metronome1.jpg

It has adverts in the app, but they're completely unobtrusive.

What does it do?

The app plays a consistent beat in a fourths format. It allows beats up to 900bpm, which is way faster than we need and it's really easy to set.

You simply swirl through the dial to set the rhythm you want and press the play button for it to "tap" at you through the speakers or headphones if you have them connected to your device.

Metronome2.jpg

You can also quickly adjust your tempo up and down in 1 or 5 bpm increments.

Okay, so what are we looking to achieve?

I find this really helps me to "balance" my swing and find a good pace.

I actually played a round of golf with headphones in and this ticking away to me on every shot this week and it is almost certainly the most consistent and best I have hit a ball in my entire time playing.

There are two aspects to your swing, as we mentioned earlier, rhythm and tempo. Let's address both...

Tempo is the time it takes to make your swing, the start of your take-away through to impact.

There is a secondary value to knowing this. I don't know if you've ever tried to use a shaft manufacturer's website for shaft recommendations, but you may be used to these screens:

TTShaftFit.jpg

KBSShaftFit.jpg

True Temper and KBS for two examples. I'm not sure what KBS go with, but True Temper for example consider a "Fast" tempo to be any swing that takes less than a second start to finish, a "Moderate" swing to be one between 1 second and 1.25 seconds, with a "Deliberate" swing being any swing of greater than 1.25 seconds between take-away and impact.

Our metronome timer can help us with this. If you complete your swing at a metronome rate of 60bpm or greater then you're in their "Fast" category, if you complete your swing faster than a beat of 48bpm but slower than 60bpm then you are their "Moderate" and any slower than that you are "Deliberate".
This can help you with unassisted shaft fitting or at least give you a start (though I'd always recommend a proper fitting).

Finally, we can work on our rhythm with this app also.

If you can determine approximately the tempo you want in your swing, then we simply need a 3/1 setup for this.

I swing at a tempo of 70bpm, so we multiply this by 4 for 280bpm and want our backswing to take the first three beats, before returning to impact in time for the fourth.

So, is it any good?

It's a metronome that is free and goes up to 900 bpm (a conceptual full swing in just a touch over a quarter of a second, I don't think any of us are getting there... ;) )

It can play with your phone locked and can be switched on and off like any media output via a headphone remote, so it's perfect for use on the range or even on course if you wish to.

For the "money" it's exactly what we need as an addition to our training aids

Just to close out, I like to consider myself quite a capable golfer at times, but only having two years of experience and being fully self-taught my biggest problem is consistency, I can shoot really low or have a really bad day at times.

Heydon isn't the most difficult of courses, but this was a separate front and back nine, both played with Metronome Beats playing in my ears for every single swing (and the last few holes played in almost total darkness so you just had to trust you'd hit the ball where you wanted and walk to the spot you thought it was).

It seems having your rhythm and tempo in your ears really does help...

TempoGolf.jpg

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

2 years and shooting -1..!!??!! Impressive, and keep up the good work!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

oh, and... I believe the Tour Tempo count - eg. "24/8" - refers to the total time vs the downswing time; so the backswing/downswing ratio is closer to 2:1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Nice review Jon! I have a couple of college players who love to use apps like this around the practice green so they can keep their stroke more relaxed and prevent from getting jabby

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Hi. 30+ year drummer here.

I love working to tempo and the Tour Tempo stuff. I have a lot of the Tour Tempo tracks and songs and I find them very helpful.

Want to easily get them? Head to your local library and check out the Tour Tempo book. It includes a CD. You can figure out the rest from there

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hi. 30+ year drummer here.

I love working to tempo and the Tour Tempo stuff. I have a lot of the Tour Tempo tracks and songs and I find them very helpful.

Want to easily get them? Head to your local library and check out the Tour Tempo book. It includes a CD. You can figure out the rest from there

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That assumes you local library has the book. Another way is to go to the website, sign up for their mailing list and get sent a few sample tracks. Or you can use the link they provide you in the emails:

https://www.tourtempo.com/tour-tempo-tracks-free-download/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That assumes you local library has the book. Another way is to go to the website, sign up for their mailing list and get sent a few sample tracks. Or you can use the link they provide you in the emails:

https://www.tourtempo.com/tour-tempo-tracks-free-download/

If they don't have it, inter-library loan should turn in up in a week or so. That's how I checked it out!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I used Tempo in Motion for a bit.  I would say it worked great, but I always felt like I was trying to match the beat rather than just swing.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I used Tempo in Motion for a bit. I would say it worked great, but I always felt like I was trying to match the beat rather than just swing.

I think it depends on "where" you are in your game at times.

My swing, currently, works and one of my big problems can be over-thinking, so only thinking about matching the beat and letting the swing come works for me...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Archived