Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Haotong Li $100k out of pocket on new rule!

perseveringgolfer

This appears to have got everyone annoyed. He's been penalised on the last hole for his caddy lining up his putt. The video clearly shows the caddy backed off before even the putter was placed behind the ball.

http://www.golfpunkhq.com/golf-rules/article/li-haotong-drops-100000-in-new-rule-controversy 

If they are going to come down harshly with the new rules then they need to start with the amount of time it takes a player to play his shot. They are allowed 40 seconds to play their shot yet some players, probably most players, take longer. Bryson at the weekend was regularly about a minute and a half.

If there are rules they need to be enforced, not just selected rules but consistently all rules.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I can see how the officials came up with the decision, but I'd agree that they got it wrong. It all just runs so close together and I don't think they want to take any chances. You'd think they reviewed this in slow-mo, but if they didn't it'd certainly be difficult to discern what happened in real-time.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

This appears to have got everyone annoyed. He's been penalised on the last hole for his caddy lining up his putt. The video clearly shows the caddy backed off before even the putter was placed behind the ball.

http://www.golfpunkhq.com/golf-rules/article/li-haotong-drops-100000-in-new-rule-controversy 

If they are going to come down harshly with the new rules then they need to start with the amount of time it takes a player to play his shot. They are allowed 40 seconds to play their shot yet some players, probably most players, take longer. Bryson at the weekend was regularly about a minute and a half.

If there are rules they need to be enforced, not just selected rules but consistently all rules.

100% agree with this one.  It drives me crazy to watch any professional organization selectively decide what rules they're going to enforce and which they're not.  And they all worry so much about the integrity of the game. . .

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I am not a fan of the rule as written, but as written he violated the rules. A caddie cannot be on the extension of the line when a player starts to take their stance.

He was starting to take his stance and the caddie while walking away was still in the line.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am not a fan of the rule as written, but as written he violated the rules. A caddie cannot be on the extension of the line when a player starts to take their stance.

He was starting to take his stance and the caddie while walking away was still in the line.

The real question is, will Lexi make any putts this year? Seems like she will be one of the most impacted players.

Much like Adam Scott and the anchor ban.

The real question is, will Lexi make any putts this year? Seems like she will be one of the most impacted players.

When the rule changed most people focused on tee shots and iron play. I never really paid that much attention to caddies standing on the line while players got setup.
Yes Lexi will make putts, she already played a tournament in 2019

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yeah, this was the dumbest penalty assessed in golf ever.  And I found it interesting that more than one pro compared this to the fact that the Euro Tour won't penalize slow play.  I mean, if you are going to be anal retentive to a fault with this rule, why not at least come within 10-20 seconds of slow play penalties.  Either that or throw out any rules on pace of play.  That was there isn't the most obvious hypocrisy that we see here.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Agreed.  It was close but I saw it as a violation as written.  

However, there is no penalty if the caddie is on the line on the other side of the hole.  I wonder if players will figure that one out and will use it instead.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm another one who sees this as a pretty clear violation.  If you look at the rules, you'll see an illustration that's nearly identical to what happened with Li.  The illustration has a big red X at the bottom, do NOT do this.  The ceddie simply waited too long to move away.  The penalty could have been avoided if Li had stepped away and then stepped back in to putt after the caddie had moved away.  Note that the Euro Tour accepts that it was ain infraction, but would like to have a gray area to allow its officials some discretion.  Wouldn't most of us prefer rules that draw clear lines?

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=365137.html

As for slow play, that should be enforced as well.  I know BDC takes a long time, but did he violate the European Tour pace of play rules?   The 40-second guideline in the rules is just that, a guideline, not a rule, its up to the Committee (the Tour) to make and enforce a pace of play rule.  I've read about the US tour's policy, but I don't know what the rules is on the European Tour.  I've said it a number of times, the first time a player near the lead is assessed a stroke or two penalty for slow play, we'll see everyone speed it up.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As for slow play, that should be enforced as well.  I know BDC takes a long time, but did he violate the European Tour pace of play rules?   The 40-second guideline in the rules is just that, a guideline, not a rule, its up to the Committee (the Tour) to make and enforce a pace of play rule.  I've read about the US tour's policy, but I don't know what the rules is on the European Tour.  I've said it a number of times, the first time a player near the lead is assessed a stroke or two penalty for slow play, we'll see everyone speed it up.  

If the Tour wanted to penalize slow play in order to make a statement, that tournament was it.  Assess the penalty to show they are serious, and it wouldn't have affected the outcome.  Maybe BDC would figure out how to do his "figuring out" quicker.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

If the Tour wanted to penalize slow play in order to make a statement, that tournament was it.  Assess the penalty to show they are serious, and it wouldn't have affected the outcome.  Maybe BDC would figure out how to do his "figuring out" quicker.

He's certainly the modern-day poster boy for slow play.  Does anyone know the Euro Tour slow-play policy, and whether BDC violated it?

Another poster boy is Jason Day, who essentially said he's going to continue to take whatever time he felt he needed to play his best.  I like him, but I'd have no problem if the rules were enforced and he simply couldn't play well at a reasonable pace.  I'd prefer that he improve his pace, but if he can't, I guarantee someone WILL be able to play at that pace.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 1/28/2019 at 9:59 AM, GSwag said:

Yeah, this was the dumbest penalty assessed in golf ever.  And I found it interesting that more than one pro compared this to the fact that the Euro Tour won't penalize slow play.  I mean, if you are going to be anal retentive to a fault with this rule, why not at least come within 10-20 seconds of slow play penalties.  Either that or throw out any rules on pace of play.  That was there isn't the most obvious hypocrisy that we see here.

What I find interesting is that the Tour defines the slow play policy.  The Tour is run by players.  If the players can't agree on an effective policy, they're causing their own problem.  And I know Bryson is slow, but if he's been put on the clock regularly, someone is paying attention to him.  Its simply too easy to avoid a penalty.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:20 PM, mistuniv1990 said:

B.s. if this were Tiger or Phil they would've contested the ruling and it would have been dropped. Plus the player wasn't setup so the rule wasn't infringed

If you actually read the rule, the caddie cannot be in place when the player begins to take his stance.  It is absolutely clear that is exactly what happened.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

What I find interesting is that the Tour defines the slow play policy.  The Tour is run by players.  If the players can't agree on an effective policy, they're causing their own problem.  And I know Bryson is slow, but if he's been put on the clock regularly, someone is paying attention to him.  Its simply too easy to avoid a penalty.

Jay Monahan, Stephen Cox, and Peter Dachisen, et al (see http://progolfrefs.com/about/our-team/) are playing in tournaments now?  Huh, I hadn't heard that was the case.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

8 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Jay Monahan, Stephen Cox, and Peter Dachisen, et al (see http://progolfrefs.com/about/our-team/) are playing in tournaments now?  Huh, I hadn't heard that was the case.

http://progolfrefs.com/

If you check out the "What We Do" section, you don't find anything about developing pace of play rules, or any other rules.  These guys enforce the rules that the PGA tour wants them to enforce, just like the officials in football, baseball, hockey, or any other sport.  The USGA/R&A write the Rules of Golf, and the Tours develop additional Conditions of Competition that include the Pace of Play policy.  

The PGA Policy Board includes 5 players in the total of 11 Directors, and is advised by the Players Advisory Council, which consists of 16 current players.  For the Senior Tour Board, there are 4 players out of 9 Directors.  The players own the Tour, they make their own pace of play rules, the rest are employees, including the referees.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived