Should 3W shaft be "heavier" than Driver shaft?

So, I've always heard that your fairway shafts should be heavier than your driver shaft.  I'm curious if this is generally a rule or if anyone out there has essentially the same shaft in their 3 wood that they have in their driver.  I was recently fitted in the Cobra F9 Driver with the EvenFlow blue 65g 5.5 shaft.  I was not fitted for a 3 wood.  I love the driver so much, I now want the 3 wood.  The EvenFlow Blue 5.5 is available for the Cobra fairways in both 65g and 75g.  So is it reasonable to expect I should be in the 75g since I'm in 65g with the driver?  Thanks for any insight.

Having played the same shafts in my driver, FW and even hybrid before, I have always had heavier shafts in the FW and hybrid. With that said though, I'm not 100% sure about the reasoning behind it and I know that's not helpful, haha! But if you like the EvenFlow Blue, then it's a pretty safe bet that you'll like it in the FW. And I do think it's reasonable to expect to have the 75g shaft in the FW, but ultimately it's going to come down to what you get the best performance out of!

:callaway-small: Epic Speed LS Triple Diamond 9º | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S
:callaway-small: Epic Speed 3W 15º | Fujikura Ventus Red 7S
:callaway-small: Apex 3H 19º | Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | Project X LX 6.0
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50, 54, 60 (Mid) | Project X LX 6.0
:EVNROLL: ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

i am no expert but the general advise seems to be heavier shaft as you work through the set.   I actually have a lighter and more flexible (in theory)  shaft in my 3 wood and hit it pretty well.  When I went to Club Champion for a full bag fitting the advice was to keep the 3 wood.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You’ll find that most fairway shafts are heavier for one reason, gross weight. Not obscenely heavy, just enough to help you feel the weight of the club throughout your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Actually this seems like common sense to me - the heavier shaft is necessary because of the shorter shaft and lighter clubhead. It makes the end of the club feel the same weight relatively speaking.

Interestingly I often have a driver shaft that’s the same weight as my fairway woods to help kill spin on the driver. But that’s intentional.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 4:48 AM, revkev said:

Actually this seems like common sense to me - the heavier shaft is necessary because of the shorter shaft and lighter clubhead. It makes the end of the club feel the same weight relatively speaking.

Interestingly I often have a driver shaft that’s the same weight as my fairway woods to help kill spin on the driver. But that’s intentional.

When you say shorter shaft/lighter clubhead are you referring to woods? If you are then it's the other way around, shorter shaft heavier clubhead, a 3wd head is heavier than a driver head and a hybrid head is heavier than a 3wd head.

With shaft technology today it’s not as important as it used to be. Ive played the same shaft in both at two different times since 2016 and both times it was a 59g shaft. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 months later...