Spiked vs spikeless shoes

I generally use spikeless and recently purchased a pair of code chaos Adidas.  They are spikeless but have an aggressive tread pattern that provides a lot of grip.  They are also the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn.

WITB: Paradym drivers and irons.  18 handicap searching for better drives! 

I have always worn spiked shoes they seem to have better traction to me. Another thing is if my spikes wear out it's 20.00 to replace them, if spikeless shoes wear out it's 150.00 to replace them. I have shoes that are 15 years old and are still nice and comfortable and I just change the spikes. 

Frank musolino 

Spiked for me with BOA, I still wear a 3 year old version of the FJ Flex. I like the comfort of spikeless but need the traction of spiked.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

This is a great question and I strongly feel that spiked is the better option. You get better traction wet and dry and for me that is so important, my driver swing speed is 115+ so feeling and being more stable is important. Also I find that spike less are a joke in terms of durability, when my spiked shoes are worn out, you can get new spikes for your shoes for about $15, you don’t have to buy and entire new pair of shoes. I will say that the tiger woods golf shoe is one of the most comfortable I have found. Before I woke Nike I had FootJoy and those were also solid! 

Lefty Gang 

Definitely spiked for me.  I just bought the FJ Tour Alpha Triple BOAs.  They are a very stable shoe, feel great, and lock down wonderfully.  So far, I have no complaints.  And for what they cost there better not be a complaint. LOL

20240422_110811.jpg

20240422_111758.jpg

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

I walk most rounds and play in Asics Gel Kayano Ace spikeless. They are by far the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn and I sometimes work out in them too. They are basically on of Asics' best running shoes converted into a golf shoe. They have a TP coating for waterproofing along with a treaded outsole for good traction. One drawback is they get warm in the summer, but it's no different that a 100% leather shoe. I have narrow feet and even though they are a touch wide, they offer a lot of arch support and I don't really notice.

Edited by SDGolf619

SIM2 MAX D w/Diamana S 60

SIM2 MAX5 Wood FW S-6

SIM MAX 3&4 hybrids w/Ventus Blue FW-7

Ping i230 5-PW w/DG 105g

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Cleveland HB SOFT 4 putter

I've always been a spiked guy. I bought the Adidas S2G spikeless through and tried a round with them. They were comfortable but I felt like I struggled with stability. I just got the Adidas ZG23 through Amazon (currently on sale for $75-$100 from $200) and I love them! They're incredibly comfortable to wear and walk in. I walked 9 holes over the weekend and I'm happy with my purchase. Maybe consider giving them a try and return if you're not happy with spiked. The 2023 Adidas line was highly rated by MGS last year.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

Spikeless for me in all weather here in Southern California.  I’ve worn metal spikes and replaceable spikes, I don’t like walking in either one.  Spikeless these days have great traction in most brands.  I haven’t slipped out of any shots.

Just got some new sqairz. Love them. I think I do love my old adidas more with the BOA laces. Easy tie on and off. Miss that!  I can tell a difference on wet and very dry days depending on the course. Especially if you use the ground. I prefer some sort of spike/traction. 

CREDMAN 

14 hours ago, Mdf said:

Both, depending on conditions. Definitely spikes in wet conditions. Dry hard conditions spikeless.

I believe this is the correct answer. At least what I do after going back and forth for a couple years. 

I generally wear spiked as our courses are usually pretty soft. But every now and then I run across a play that is hard and dry and I opt for spikeless at that time.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Posted (edited)

I wear both depending on conditions. I find that spikeless don’t grip as well when it’s wet

Edited by Northern Monkey

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

I have what's referred to as a violent swing. I tend to dig my feet in hard. So if it's anything other than dry and firm, I really prefer to wear spikes. Otherwise my feet look like Scotties. It doesn't work out for me like it does for him though. I do wear spikeless if it's super dry though. I even wear them at home when I'm practicing. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I have both spiked and spikeless shoes.  I tend to wear spiked shoes most often, especially in spring, early summer and autumn when the ground is softer and often wetter.  I will wear spikeless in the middle of the summer when it's hot and dry, for comfort.

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

Spikeless as my left foot moves in my downward transition and spiked my left knee is always sore after a round.

That being said, I have a pair of spiked when its really wet out.  Fully waterproof.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter