Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ventus users chime in...

bens197

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

Curious to see who will be diving into the TR black or red edition...

Was interesting to see Ian from TXG had best results with the TR red

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 hours ago, bens197 said:

Curious to see who will be diving into the TR black or red edition...

I will certainly want to try the TR Red.  With the differences I felt between the Motore X and Ventus Blue the TR red might help keep some of the launch and spin I like while getting everything a bit tighter. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 8/9/2022 at 7:56 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Was interesting to see Ian from TXG had best results with the TR red

I should say that when I was fit for my TSI3, the shaft decision came between the TR Blue and the DJ.  The TR dispersion was unreal good.  It’s no surprise that the Ventus line is so popular.

I saw Ian’s IG story and guessed correctly that he would be going Red.  I know that doesn’t mean much but I also believe that the Red could benefit a lot larger segment than most presume.

Just grazed WRX and saw that they’re seeking TR Red and Black testers…That’s a legit opportunity…

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

12 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I should say that when I was fit for my TSI3, the shaft decision came between the TR Blue and the DJ.  The TR dispersion was unreal good.  It’s no surprise that the Ventus line is so popular.

I saw Ian’s IG story and guessed correctly that he would be going Red.  I know that doesn’t mean much but I also believe that the Red could benefit a lot larger segment than most presume.

Just grazed WRX and saw that they’re seeking TR Red and Black testers…That’s a legit opportunity…

The non tr red really does. I have a range buddy who generally fits into 70g x flex of tx shafts like the hzrdus green hulk and original black.

He did a fitting with the guys from Ping hq that were out here and he got the best results from the red 7x.

Also surprised the 8x worked in fairway wood for him too

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The non tr red really does. I have a range buddy who generally fits into 70g x flex of tx shafts like the hzrdus green hulk and original black.

He did a fitting with the guys from Ping hq that were out here and he got the best results from the red 7x.

Also surprised the 8x worked in fairway wood for him too

It’s amazing what possibilities are out there when folks keep an open mind.  That is so cool.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It’s amazing what possibilities are out there when folks keep an open mind.  That is so cool.

Yep. Lots of old adages and thoughts out there that won’t die like swing speed X = flex Y or basing things on handicap but not looking at the swing for type of club to use.

I get it, for the shaft and club companies they need to find a way to market the clubs and give the average consumer a general idea. But unfortunately like with almost all consumer goods some will research and some wont

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yep. Lots of old adages and thoughts out there that won’t die like swing speed X = flex Y or basing things on handicap but not looking at the swing for type of club to use.

I get it, for the shaft and club companies they need to find a way to market the clubs and give the average consumer a general idea. But unfortunately like with almost all consumer goods some will research and some wont

This will definitely be one of the next best consumer-education processes.  Some retailers still deal with the “I can’t use whippy shafts” crew and that likely won’t ever fade.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

This will definitely be one of the next best consumer-education processes.  Some retailers still deal with the “I can’t use whippy shafts” crew and that likely won’t ever fade.

And there’s still guys who are supposed to be in the know that do the waggle test or lean on the shaft to test the flex and neither shows anything about the flex, torque or how it will perform.

What I find interesting to an extent is that some people are finding the ventus (non tr) to play stiffer to flex than the hzrdus line. The 6x blue doenst feel like that too me but it’s definitely a little too stiff in the tip for my needs, the 6s blue seems to be more what I need and still need to spend more time with that one.

I have red in my stealth 3hl that I like.

Also from what I’ve seen the TR doesn’t have a lot of tour use so curious why the TR black and red were released. 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What I find interesting to an extent is that some people are finding the ventus (non tr) to play stiffer to flex than the hzrdus line. The 6x blue doenst feel like that too me but it’s definitely a little too stiff in the tip for my needs, the 6s blue seems to be more what I need and still need to spend more time with that one.

Also from what I’ve seen the TR doesn’t have a lot of tour use so curious why the TR black and red were released. 

The flex thing baffles me.  I play a 6.0 HZRDUS yellow in my G400 LST and couldn’t turn over a 6.5 for the life of me.  The 7X Ventus Blue I have in my SIM2 3 wood feels just right as if it was built for me.  There are always exceptions to the rule and I could be one of those outlier.

As far as the Red & Black TR, my best guess is vendor demand.  It gives CC and others a lot more options and more reason for golfers to fall in love with something that could fit them.  Of course, this is pure conjecture and I could be way off.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

45 minutes ago, bens197 said:

The flex thing baffles me.  I play a 6.0 HZRDUS yellow in my G400 LST and couldn’t turn over a 6.5 for the life of me.  The 7X Ventus Blue I have in my SIM2 3 wood feels just right as if it was built for me.  There are always exceptions to the rule and I could be one of those outlier.

As far as the Red & Black TR, my best guess is vendor demand.  It gives CC and others a lot more options and more reason for golfers to fall in love with something that could fit them.  Of course, this is pure conjecture and I could be way off.

More proof one can just look at flex and say that’s the flex for me based on whatever criteria. 

hzrdus yellow 60 6.0 and even the 70 version in g400 has been a fit for me(minus I hate the feel, but it performs). I get along better with CB designs tho

That’s possible and the blue tr was a good fit for those in between blue and black so possible red tr for those between red and blue and black tr for those who have tipped the black

50 minutes ago, bens197 said:

... Exactly why a fitting is 99.9% necessary with a premium shaft. I was looking forward to the Ventus Red and a lessor extent the Ventus Blue in my last fitting but both were just too tip stiff for my swing. I depend on timing with a smooth swing and transition and a mid to even soft active tip has always worked best for me. I had to work too hard to get the Red to feel like it was unloading through impact and the AD-IZ in SR flex and the Tensei Blue AV worked best for my swing. I am guessing you would find the exact opposite with a controlled but  aggressive swing and much more speed the AV would probably feel loose and out of control while the Blue Velocore would time much better and the more stable tip produce better dispersion. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Exactly why a fitting is 99.9% necessary with a premium shaft. I was looking forward to the Ventus Red and a lessor extent the Ventus Blue in my last fitting but both were just too tip stiff for my swing. I depend on timing with a smooth swing and transition and a mid to even soft active tip has always worked best for me. I had to work too hard to get the Red to feel like it was unloading through impact and the AD-IZ in SR flex and the Tensei Blue AV worked best for my swing. I am guessing you would find the exact opposite with a controlled but  aggressive swing and much more speed the AV would probably feel loose and out of control while the Blue Velocore would time much better and the more stable tip produce better dispersion. 

I won’t put GD shafts into a bubble because I haven’t tried them all. While I liked the YS series in my 905T, that was about it. 

You get the best of both worlds with that Tensei line and the smooth feel. Being a Mitsubishi guy have you tried either the DF or Kai’Li line?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

8 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I won’t put GD shafts into a bubble because I haven’t tried them all. While I liked the YS series in my 905T, that was about it. 

You get the best of both worlds with that Tensei line and the smooth feel. Being a Mitsubishi guy have you tried either the DF or Kai’Li line?

... I imagine the YS7 was a good fit for you in the 905T. Shafts have gotten so expensive and I haven't tried the DF or new Kai'Li although I played the original Kai'Li and still have the Diamana LTD in several clubs. The LTD R-flex is just a hair soft and wish I would have tipped it to play like the SR shafts I have had so much success playing. Currently playing the AD-MT SR and other than the bright YELLOW I love the performance. I am hoping the AD-IZ SR coming Friday is a hair lower spin with the same trajectory as the MT. After getting into a groove I really hit it well in my fittings. 

If it doesn't say VeloCore it's NOT a TRUE VENTUS.  The real deal starts at $350 and that's not a "real" Ventus as a stock shaft...unless it is VeloCore.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

11 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

If it doesn't say VeloCore it's NOT a TRUE VENTUS.  The real deal starts at $350 and that's not a "real" Ventus as a stock shaft...unless it is VeloCore.

Not true; it is still a Ventus shaft (look at the Fujikura website), it is just not a VeloCore Ventus. Fujikura calls them the “OEM Ventus”. They are a pretty good shaft, and as both a longtime professional clubfitter and a Fujikura Charter Dealer for close to 15 years, I have fitted several golfers with the OEM (non-VeloCore) Ventus shafts, and many others with the Ventus shafts with VeloCore (all three colors), including a few Ventus TR Blue VeloCore shafts.

On a side note, I am happy to see that Fujikura has now introduced TR versions of both the Ventus Red and Ventus Black VeloCore lines. I knew for a couple of months that this was coming, and Fujikura just announced these two TR extensions to the Ventus lineup this week.  I personally play the Ventus Blue TR shaft in one of my two “gamer” drivers, and I think that the Ventus TR Red 70 Series will make a good fairway wood shaft for me, as I look for a bit higher launch and spin from my 4-wood than I do from my driver.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

11 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

... Semantics maybe and I get what you are saying but that is kinda like saying the Titleist Tour Speed is not a real Titleist like the Titleist ProV1. For more than a few the Tour Speed will be a better ball than the ProV1. The stock Ventus is a true Ventus just not an aftermarket premium Ventus with Velocore shaft that is meant for stronger players. 

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

Not true; it is still a Ventus shaft (look at the Fujikura website), it is just not a VeloCore Ventus. Fujikura calls them the “OEM Ventus”. They are a pretty good shaft, and as both a longtime professional clubfitter and a Fujikura Charter Dealer for close to 15 years, I have fitted several golfers with the OEM ( non-VeloCore) Ventus shafts, and many others with the Ventus shafts with VeloCore, including a few TR Blue Ventus VeloCore shafts.

... Haha beat me to it Doug! 

On 2/17/2021 at 7:51 AM, cjeffs12 said:

I haven’t tried tipping before, so I wouldn’t know how it affect the feel. I would suspect it would get you close to the x flex

One of my two Ventus Blue TR driver shafts is tipped 1/2” (it started as a 5R and is installed in a Titleist TSi4 driver head). When I decided to put a Ventus Blue TR shaft in a Tour Edge Exotics driver adapter for use in the C721 and C/E722 driver models, I went with the heavier and lower-torque 6 SR (stiff regular flex) version.  Other than the lower torque of the 67 gram version, I find that the tipped 5 R and the un-tipped 6 SR feel and play very similar to each other.  I prefer the slightly “tighter” feel of the slightly heavier and lower-torque 6 SR, but the tipped 5 R is a better match for the lightweight TSi4 driver head, especially because I play it at 3/4” shorter than Titleist’s standard length.

Spoiler

C413ECD6-64D3-471F-89DE-865993E22962.jpeg.27d5541c06cae78f44823d41bae7a562.jpegAnd then you have the Ventus red (non veloCore) iron shafts. I have them in my p770’s. I have no idea what any of the tech is in them, but it’s been a fun read from the guys who do. I don’t know technically why I love them, but I do.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

3 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

C413ECD6-64D3-471F-89DE-865993E22962.jpeg.27d5541c06cae78f44823d41bae7a562.jpegAnd then you have the Ventus red (non veloCore) iron shafts. I have them in my p770’s. I have no idea what any of the tech is in them, but it’s been a fun read from the guys who do. I don’t know technically why I love them, but I do.

Those are a totally different “kettle of fish”, as they are a made-for shaft that Fujikura produced for TaylorMade. I have tried to get information on those iron shafts, as well as the blue version, but the best that I could get from my sources at Fujikura was some boilerplate answers about them. My Rep at Fuji did hint to me that they are basically a re-branded version of the lightest weight in the Fujikura Pro graphite iron shafts (a decent shaft that has been in the company’s lineup for several years).

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Those are a totally different “kettle of fish”, as they are a made-for shaft that Fujikura produced for TaylorMade. I have tried to get information on those iron shafts, as well as the blue version, but the best that I could get from my sources at Fujikura was some boilerplate answers about them. My Rep at Fuji did hint to me that they are basically a re-branded version of the lightest weight in the Fujikura Pro graphite iron shafts (a decent shaft that has been in the company’s lineup for several years).

I have searched and searched for info on these, and you’ve just given me more than I could ever find on my own.. it’s funny because I “know” they’re a generic graphite, but every time I pull one out to hit, the back of my brain says relax man, you’re hitting the best shafts money can buy. Even tho they’re no up charge…ha. Mental games we play…

anyways thanks for the info

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 5/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, bens197 said:

Update...

I ordered a 7-X Blue from The People's Clubs a few weeks ago.  It arrived and since then I've put a few swings on it with my SIM2 3 wood.

Here's some thoughts for anyone who's also interested.

• When people say stable, they aren't kidding, there is a reason why this shaft is getting the reps that it is.  It's billed as super stable and stable it is...There are no squirrely shots.
  • My driver / 3w miss is towards the toe and for anyone who doesn't know, it causes a giant nose dive to the left.  
  • I can now play this off the toe and hit a high sweeping draw that stay within my margins, it's actually amusing to be honest.
  • Feel is stable but not soft.  I was expecting a slightly softer / rubbery feel but I wont say I am disappointed.  It's solid but most important, dispersion is tight.  Velocore is for real, bad swings offer a far better margin of error.  
  • I am pleased.  Not only did Will prep and build this super quick, the price was better than anywhere else.

You are absolutely correct regarding both the stability and tight dispersion that a golfer will get with the Ventus VeloCore shafts! Many times, I have hit shots with my drivers and a 3-wood that have Ventus Blue VeloCore shafts ranging from 58 to 77 grams in them and I have thought, “oh no, that was hit out on the toe, here comes a big hook”. The worst results that I have gotten were a few shots that ended up in the left rough a few yards off the fairway. The same thing when I hit what feels like it is going to be a blocky fade; some of those shots actually stay on the right side of the fairway, while a few just barely make it to the light rough.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And there’s still guys who are supposed to be in the know that do the waggle test or lean on the shaft to test the flex and neither shows anything about the flex, torque or how it will perform.

I have red in my stealth 3hl that I like.

The TR Blue and a pre-production prototype version of the TR Black shafts have actually been getting a fair amount of use by the Fujikura guys on tour. If you watch closely on TV, you will see the gold rectangle with the “TR” in it on the follow-through shots of guys using the Ventus shafts in their drivers and fairways.

I also noticed one LPGA player using a Ventus Red TR shaft in her driver at the Women’s Open Championship over this past weekend. I had to look really closely and freeze the shot to see the TR on the shaft.

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

On 2/6/2021 at 2:06 PM, bens197 said:

I am really impressed with the amount of Ventus users on Tour. There are so many choices and among the red, blue and black it seems to fit a wide spectrum of players.  

It's also piqued my curiosity about making a switch in my G400.  I am still trying to decide if I fit it to my current driver or if I start from scratch.

Fitting is scheduled at the end of the month primarily to get a new hybrid in the bag and want to make the most of this time. I watched TXG review the SIM DHY last week and really liked what they had to say especially after a recommend by @chisag

So for those of you who are Ventus (velocore) players, I would love to hear the WHY of why you chose to switch.  Also, the why of why you chose blue black or red.

I've played a Ventus Velocore shaft in my driver for about 4 years now. I got fitted for it and truthfully it felt pretty expensive at the time. (I had to pay a $200 upcharge.) 

I like the feel of the shaft and it seems to produce good results for me. Mine is a 6-S blue Velocore. 

In full disclosure, I firmly believe their are other shafts out there which are probably less expensive and could produce similar results. However, I feel very confident with this shaft AND it's very predictable. And I like having something different than the "standard" off the shelf model. 

Here are the reasons I use it:

• I wanted to be custom fit into what ever I could get the best dispersion results from. Length was secondary. But also important.
  • When I got fit my performance was equal with the blue or the black. Literally you could not tell them apart. I got the blue because I like the way it looks. 😁
  • I believe the velocore shafts do "feel" better in my hands. That could be placebo. I think I can truly feel it, especially if I hit one and then switch right away to another. It's probably not significant enough to tell the difference if you hit them on different days. 
  • I'm not a "shaftoid", but I will play a driver for 5 years or so, and I figure spreading the $200 upcharge out over those 5 years isn't too bad. 
  • Lastly, I hear that custom fitters don't make any money off you unless you buy an upgraded shaft. My fitter spent more than an hour and a half with me. I feel like he did a good job. I like getting custom fit. I don't mind supporting the process. 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, bens197 said:

The real flex in your hands is a combo of the flex along different segments of the shaft, the torque (twist), and they all act in your swing.  A slow hesitate swing like Hideki M or Sonjae Im, very slow transition from backswing to downswing, is very different than someone like Matt Fitzpatrick or DJ or I think Cameron Young.  They swing as if there is a disease or a bug on the club head and they have to flick it off at the top of the swing.  So when the top middle and bottom 1/3 of the shaft flexes is different from me to you, no matter what the head speed is at impact.  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃