Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pro Players You Have Met

JohnBarry

This seems like the thread NGage was made for. That's a seriously impressive list. Any comments on all those guys you've met? Particular nice/rude guys, anything like that?

The neatest run in was with Phil Mickelson.

I was at the old GGO at Forest Oaks CC, and me and a buddy were following his group -- what a group, it was Phil, Daly, and Irwin IIRC. Anyways, we are following them, and go ahead to watch approach shots into a green. I get the spot right at the place where the players enter the green. The rope is pretty much right on the edge of the green, and just so happens to be right in line of Phil's putt to the hole. He's standing over his putt, and he's only like 10 ft or so from me. I had crouched down to get a read on his putt, and stayed there while he putted. I don't remember which way the breaks went....but it looked to break one way, yet when Phil putted, it broke the opposite way and he missed the putt.

The next hole, a par 3, was a small distance away and across a road. My buddy and I (together) left the green after Phil missed his putt so we could get a good spot on the par 3. As we are walking over....suddenly the mad rush of spectators comes swooshing upon us. You know how you sense when someone's there...it was like that -- I could feel that my friend was walking just over my left shoulder. In the middle of the crowd, I start to tell my friend -- who was trailing behind me -- something like "Man, I sure didn't see Phil's putt going that way". I turn to look over my shoulder....and it's not my friend there two feet from me -- it's Phil. Now...he was so close that if I had stopped, he would have walked into me. Responding to my comment, Phil says "Yeah, me neither." :) I said, "well, you'll get the next one", and he said "thanks" as we began to part ways.

I then found my buddy and told him what happened. LOL Kind of a neat exchange for me.

This seems like the thread NGage was made for. That's a seriously impressive list. Any comments on all those guys you've met? Particular nice/rude guys, anything like that?

Walter Hall

I first met him back in NC and he was a nobody coming back from the Asian Tour, he would come into our shop to get his clubs worked on. He was an ok guy...friendly, pleasant...just your everyday regular guy. I didn't have a close relationship by any means. He was just one of the guys that came in the shop every now and then. Of course, he was a touring pro so we knew him by name, and he knew some of us by name. Then, when I was doing the walking scoring for the Sr event here at my club and he was in my group on a pro-am day (I forgot to mention Leonard Thompson who was also in that group), I reminded him that we had met...when...how...where.

All I got back was a "yeah...whatever" vibe/attitude and that was that.

Mike McCullough

This was a weird one. I played in a pro-am with him, and throughout the whole round one minute he was like the gracious tour pro -- offering tips, suggestions, conversing. Then the next minute he was kind of a jerk. Nothing too overt....just more like the whole thing was an annoyance to him. Wasn't just me....independently two others mentioned getting the same impression.

Kelli Kuehne: just like she looks - sweet, nice, petite

Marilynn Smith: arrogant

Freddie: just like you'd think - kinda quiet, laid back, easy-going, cool (He would come out to the range to hit balls on rainy days when no one else would come out. His caddy, Joe LaCava would go out on the range with a baseball glove and catch his shots.)

Andy Bean: nice guy

Bob Charles: consummate pro at work

Dave Marr: real nice guy, really seemed to enjoy meeting people

Jim Dent: real tough SOB

Ray Floyd: just another regular guy that just so happened to play golf for a living

Ray Floyd Jr: cool kid back when I knew him, no "big time" attitude at all

Hale Irwin: cocky, LOL....but not in a bad way...just very self-assured....nice guy

Phil Irwin(brother): super nice guy

Bruce Summerhays: only 3 holes, but was very nice guy

Leonard Thompson: gruff....that's the only thing I remember, LOL

Fuzzy: exactly how they portray him....just like you'd think

Tom Watson: reserved and confident with a distinct upper-crust vibe

Nick Malinowski: when I knew him 20-something party guy that all the other Tour wannabe guys said was really good and could do something if he'd just get his act together -- seems maybe he has

Ron Whittaker: really good guy

Bob Ford: oozes upper-crust club pro

Casey Martin: really good guy

One guy I forgot to list is Matt Gogel. I played in a Mem/Gst day event with a friend here in KC, and Gogel is a member at his club. We just happened to get paired with him, and in spite of not playing his best golf he was just as nice and cool as could be. (In spite of not playing my best, I still managed to get a couple legit compliments on a couple shots :D )

All of these are actual real conversations, or more....except Phil Mc, he was one of those "run-in" situations:

PGA TOUR

Phil Mickelson - met him during a tournament when we had an "accidental" covnersation

Justin Leonard - met him when I was taking lessons from his instructor, Randy Smith

Hunter Mahon - met him when I was working at a club in Dallas and he was a kid; he'd often come and play with some of the members (this was when he was around 12 and would come over and play with some of the other kids)

LPGA TOUR

LPGA'er Taylor Leon - knew her when she was a kid and I was working at her family's club in Dallas

LPGA'er Kelli Kuehne - met her when I was working at a club in Dallas; she'd come out to practice some

Original LPGA'er Marilynn Smith - met her when I was working at club in Frisco; she introduces herself as "Marilynn Smith, one of the founders of the LPGA" LOL

Dottie Pepper - met her at the same club, it hosted the LPGA skins game

SR TOUR

Fred Couples - met him when I was working at a club in Dallas; actually helped him tweek his club

Andy Bean - met him when I was caddying at the Sr Tour event at my club and he was in my group

Bob Charles - met him when I was working golf retail and he came to our shop for an event day

Jim Dent - met him when I was in NC and served as caddy-master for the Vantage Championship

Raymond Floyd - met him when I was working retail; our store was just down from Wake Forest and I got to know Ray Jr; met dad through jr

Hale Irwin - met him when I was caddying at Sr Tour event at my home club, and I was caddy for his brother Phil

Tom Kite - met him at same Sr Tour event; was in the club sitting around waiting for Hale...just happened to be sitting there with Kite and a few others (I don't even remember who)

Mike McCullough - played in a pro-am with him

Bruce Summerhays - met him actually on my home course; I was playing alone and he and his son paired up with me to play the last 3 holes; he was getting an early look at our course before the Sr Tour event moved here

Leonard Thompson - met him when I volunteered for walking scorer at the event at my course

Walter Hall - same as above, but I had already met him when I worked retail and my shop did his club work

Fuzzy Zoeller - met him when he was in a group I was caddying for in Sr Tour event

LEGENDS

Dave Marr - met him when he was doing a function for a medical conference I was a guest at

Tom Watson - met him at my home club/course (that he designed)

Jack Nicklaus - ok...this was only when getting his autograph

NATIONWIDE TOUR

Nick Malinoski - knew him from the club I worked at in Dallas, he and family were members

Ron Whittaker - knew him from the retail shop I managed; it was down from Wake..knew him there, then ran into him when I worked in Dallas; we'd play some golf every now and then

OTHERS

Bob Ford - head pro at Oakmont; met him when caddying for Sr Tour event and he was in my group

Casey Martin - met him when I was the "naked model/guest student" in a Jim Hardy teaching session - Casey was one of the attendees

Rick Masingale (sp?) - hit balls next to him and chatted some when I worked at club in Dallas

Brad Elder - met him when I was in Dallas and taking lessons from Randy Smith; I was playing with some of Smith's hot-shot college guys and Elder joined us for a few holes.

Yes, you pretty much have us all beat, very nice. Anyone stand out in particular?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

CaddyJoe, do you work in the golf business in Vegas?? Just curious..

No, i am in the USAF Nic. UNIX...specifically Solaris Sys Admin/sorta programmer.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

All of these are actual real conversations, or more....except Phil Mc, he was one of those "run-in" situations:

PGA TOUR

Phil Mickelson - met him during a tournament when we had an "accidental" covnersation

Justin Leonard - met him when I was taking lessons from his instructor, Randy Smith

Hunter Mahon - met him when I was working at a club in Dallas and he was a kid; he'd often come and play with some of the members (this was when he was around 12 and would come over and play with some of the other kids)

LPGA TOUR

LPGA'er Taylor Leon - knew her when she was a kid and I was working at her family's club in Dallas

LPGA'er Kelli Kuehne - met her when I was working at a club in Dallas; she'd come out to practice some

Original LPGA'er Marilynn Smith - met her when I was working at club in Frisco; she introduces herself as "Marilynn Smith, one of the founders of the LPGA" LOL

Dottie Pepper - met her at the same club, it hosted the LPGA skins game

SR TOUR

Fred Couples - met him when I was working at a club in Dallas; actually helped him tweek his club

Andy Bean - met him when I was caddying at the Sr Tour event at my club and he was in my group

Bob Charles - met him when I was working golf retail and he came to our shop for an event day

Jim Dent - met him when I was in NC and served as caddy-master for the Vantage Championship

Raymond Floyd - met him when I was working retail; our store was just down from Wake Forest and I got to know Ray Jr; met dad through jr

Hale Irwin - met him when I was caddying at Sr Tour event at my home club, and I was caddy for his brother Phil

Tom Kite - met him at same Sr Tour event; was in the club sitting around waiting for Hale...just happened to be sitting there with Kite and a few others (I don't even remember who)

Mike McCullough - played in a pro-am with him

Bruce Summerhays - met him actually on my home course; I was playing alone and he and his son paired up with me to play the last 3 holes; he was getting an early look at our course before the Sr Tour event moved here

Leonard Thompson - met him when I volunteered for walking scorer at the event at my course

Walter Hall - same as above, but I had already met him when I worked retail and my shop did his club work

Fuzzy Zoeller - met him when he was in a group I was caddying for in Sr Tour event

LEGENDS

Dave Marr - met him when he was doing a function for a medical conference I was a guest at

Tom Watson - met him at my home club/course (that he designed)

Jack Nicklaus - ok...this was only when getting his autograph

NATIONWIDE TOUR

Nick Malinoski - knew him from the club I worked at in Dallas, he and family were members

Ron Whittaker - knew him from the retail shop I managed; it was down from Wake..knew him there, then ran into him when I worked in Dallas; we'd play some golf every now and then

OTHERS

Bob Ford - head pro at Oakmont; met him when caddying for Sr Tour event and he was in my group

Casey Martin - met him when I was the "naked model/guest student" in a Jim Hardy teaching session - Casey was one of the attendees

Rick Masingale (sp?) - hit balls next to him and chatted some when I worked at club in Dallas

Brad Elder - met him when I was in Dallas and taking lessons from Randy Smith; I was playing with some of Smith's hot-shot college guys and Elder joined us for a few holes.

Good lord. Well, my head count is zero. You'd think a guy that has his own golf blog would have met a bunch of pros but that isn't the case because A2G focuses on amateur golf topics. Too many good sites already out there that do a great job covering the tours.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I was at the old GGO at Forest Oaks CC, and me and a buddy were following his group -- what a group, it was Phil, Daly, and Irwin IIRC. Anyways, we are following them, and go ahead to watch approach shots into a green. I get the spot right at the place where the players enter the green. The rope is pretty much right on the edge of the green, and just so happens to be right in line of Phil's putt to the hole. He's standing over his putt, and he's only like 10 ft or so from me. I had crouched down to get a read on his putt, and stayed there while he putted. I don't remember which way the breaks went....but it looked to break one way, yet when Phil putted, it broke the opposite way and he missed the putt.

The next hole, a par 3, was a small distance away and across a road. My buddy and I (together) left the green after Phil missed his putt so we could get a good spot on the par 3. As we are walking over....suddenly the mad rush of spectators comes swooshing upon us. You know how you sense when someone's there...it was like that -- I could feel that my friend was walking just over my left shoulder. In the middle of the crowd, I start to tell my friend -- who was trailing behind me -- something like "Man, I sure didn't see Phil's putt going that way". I turn to look over my shoulder....and it's not my friend there two feet from me -- it's Phil. Now...he was so close that if I had stopped, he would have walked into me. Responding to my comment, Phil says "Yeah, me neither." ;) I said, "well, you'll get the next one", and he said "thanks" as we began to part ways.

I then found my buddy and told him what happened. LOL Kind of a neat exchange for me.

That is cool. Phil gets a bit of the unapproachable rap sometimes. Good to hear that he had some humor that day. Especially after missing the putt.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The next hole, a par 3, was a small distance away and across a road. My buddy and I (together) left the green after Phil missed his putt so we could get a good spot on the par 3. As we are walking over....suddenly the mad rush of spectators comes swooshing upon us. You know how you sense when someone's there...it was like that -- I could feel that my friend was walking just over my left shoulder. In the middle of the crowd, I start to tell my friend -- who was trailing behind me -- something like "Man, I sure didn't see Phil's putt going that way". I turn to look over my shoulder....and it's not my friend there two feet from me -- it's Phil. Now...he was so close that if I had stopped, he would have walked into me. Responding to my comment, Phil says "Yeah, me neither." ;) I said, "well, you'll get the next one", and he said "thanks" as we began to part ways.

Good thing you didn't say something like ... "Man, he really jacked that one. What the #### was he thinking?!"

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 2 weeks later...

More on Mickelson...

When I was 5, my dad and I were stuck on the side of the road with no gas. Phil Mickelson stopped on the side of the road, gave us a lift to the golf course he was going to, grabbed a tank of gas, and drove us back to our car. That shows just how much he cares for the rest of us. My dad said I was pretty excited.

More on Mickelson...

When I was 5, my dad and I were stuck on the side of the road with no gas. Phil Mickelson stopped on the side of the road, gave us a lift to the golf course he was going to, grabbed a tank of gas, and drove us back to our car. That shows just how much he cares for the rest of us. My dad said I was pretty excited.

Cool story...I would definitely find him at a Tour stop someday and remind him of that...thank him again.

More on Mickelson...

Wow, that's an awesome story.

I don't think he'd remember that, but its worth a shot

Oh...I bet he would. How many times in your life have you stopped to help someone like that? Or done something nice for someone when you didn't have to? You probably remember those times...don't ya?

Do any of the people here who work for club companies get to meet pros?

I do not work for a club company, but most of the Pro's I have met has been through work. Crappy hours and pay does have it's small perks.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Oh...I bet he would. How many times in your life have you stopped to help someone like that? Or done something nice for someone when you didn't have to? You probably remember those times...don't ya?

Ya I guess. I just read his autobiography and it seems like he's a guy that would do something like that every day.

Archived