Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Old vs new(ish) - R580XD vs M1 first impressions

Another Steve

So in my last thread I asked about anyone comparing them on a monitor. Just following up on the saga, but figure this needs it's own thread as it might evolve into settings and shaft discussions.

First, I got an answer to my message to True Temper asking what they would recommend as their shaft that is closest to the Grafalloy Blue 65X, TrueTemper recommended the ProLaunch Red X. I plotted some flex numbers from a Grafalloy Blue thread from 2020 on another site and they look close.... So, I got my hands on a 2107 M1 9.5* and a ProLaunch Red X to test out. No access to a monitor yet so I took them out on the course yesterday to take a few cuts. 

First impression of the shaft - Statically and statistically It feels close but the RedX is not quite there. I get the sensation that I have no control over where the clubface is through impact. I fell like I've regressed 20 years. Swinging it reminds me of the feel of swinging my old TiBubble driver with an S flex when my swing speed was 115+ ..... Right before I swapped the bubble shaft for a TT DG X100 44.5".

Ball Flight - Front weights set middle draw\fade neutral and the front\back weight slid all the way back produced a ballooning fade. Moved front\back slider weight to middle\neutral and the ball flight came down closer to what I get from the 580XD. Still flies a little high and still right of the XD but it is longer. If I go after it hard i get a high power fade.

My Thoughts so far:

1) I need to spend time on a launch monitor to see exactly what the clubhead is actually doing. Then hit the driving range to play with weights vs ball flight in the real world.

2) Is there any way I can live with this set up feel wise. Should I consider changing my swing because the shaft I need\want\suits my feel probably no longer exists at a price suitable for a recreational joe average golfer. (This may make more sense log term in changing from a power swing to a smoother swing.) Will this necessitate reworking the iron swing too? What changes will I need to make to my irons?

3) There really does not seem to be anything else out there close enough to it (and has not been since they stopped making it) that I should  put out a WTB for a Blue 65X?

4) Consider pulling the Blue 65X out of the R580XD and putting an adapter on it. (My luck would have the shaft snap as soon as I got it flying the way I want )

5) I still have a couple raw uncut TT DG x100 steel shafts, put one in an adapter for grins? LOL Maybe that's the key here... I went to the Blue 65X because to me it feels like swinging the DG X100 at half the weight.

6) Just stay with the R580XD til the shaft snaps.

What say all of you?

#2 only you can really make that call. Nobody can say what one can live with or should sacrifice. 

#3 find a shop that has Taylormade demos and see if they will let you try different shafts in the m1 head and see if something feels better and works for you. There’s lots of great shafts out there 

#5 you could try it 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

#2 was more the self reflection on whether it was time to rework my swing to something that will age better as I get older, weaker, and less flexible.

Your suggestion on #3 makes sense and is on the radar. #5 was pretty much tongue in cheek as the steel shaft will be waaaayyy heavy! I picked up the old TM Ti Bubble driver and couldn't believe I swing it as fast as I did. Almost like swinging a new driver with a weight donut!

40 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

#2 was more the self reflection on whether it was time to rework my swing to something that will age better as I get older, weaker, and less flexible.

Your suggestion on #3 makes sense and is on the radar. #5 was pretty much tongue in cheek as the steel shaft will be waaaayyy heavy! I picked up the old TM Ti Bubble driver and couldn't believe I swing it as fast as I did. Almost like swinging a new driver with a weight donut!

Even if they won’t let you try in your head you can see if they will you demo the Sim2 with different shafts. 

You may see some difference in spin from the m1 to the Sim2 but overall the performance should carry over. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1