Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best wind ball?

Thin2win

The left dash has been the best wind ball for me. The low spin really helps with keeping balls from ballooning. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

• 2 weeks later...

This is my experience in Windy conditions

1. Snell Black

2. Srixon Z-Star

3. BridgeStone RX

I currently game the Snell Black and I play the Z-Star when the have the 3for2 Special.

The Snell replaced the BridgeStone RX, which is a great ball also

Driver: Cobra RadSpeed 9.5*

5 wood: PING G425 16.5*

Hybrid: PING G410 22*

Irons: PING G 400 5-UW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54*/ Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter: PXG Closer 34'

Ball: Wilson Triad

• 5 months later...

I know this topic looks as though it has died out, however, myself i have found the snell MTB-x to be the best ball in the wind ive ever used. It just seems to somehow be unfazed by it.

6 Handicap

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM9 50/54/58

Putter: :taylormade-small:Spider X Flowneck 35"

Ball: :titleist-small:ProV1x

On 2/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, GregGarner said:

I've found the Srixon balls (Z-Star and XV specifically) to really perform well in the wind. Best of any ball I've tried, in my experience. The 2019 ProV line wasn't amazing in the wind and I'd have some issues with ballooning, but the new covers on the 2021 line are outstanding. Much more stable and I have no qualms about gaming them on a windy day.

While it's easy to see when a ball is getting blown by a cross-wind, I personally find more satisfaction knowing that my front-to-back dispersion will be less affected. I absolutely love the Maxfli Tour, but it gets demolished in the wind. I've noticed significant differences. Crushed a 3-wood the other day into a headwind and it came up 20 yards short. Dropped a ProV1 and made comparable, even slightly worse contact and it flew the number I was expecting: 20 yards longer than the Maxfli. I'm not tossing out my Maxflis, but I'm much more cognizant of the wind with them. Having gamed Srixon all last season and not thinking twice about a gentle breeze, this is something I'll watch out for when tournament season gets here...

100%, have been playing this ball for first time this year and can confirm it turns a two club wind into a three club wind real quick.  Cross wind it plays fun but something about going into a headwind kills this ball.  

I can see literally no one has mentioned the Callaway ball. That is the absolute best ball in the wind, hands down. That being said it doesn't go nearly as far downwind, so it has its drawbacks. But it doesn't move nearly as much as other balls do in the wind.  

I reached a 600 yard par 5 into the breeze with it. Well 10 yards short, but still.  I was amazed. 320 drive and 270 3 wood. I nutted both shots. Have 4 witnesses for it too. 

10 minutes ago, Agwinup said:

I can see literally no one has mentioned the Callaway ball. That is the absolute best ball in the wind, hands down. That being said it doesn't go nearly as far downwind, so it has its drawbacks. But it doesn't move nearly as much as other balls do in the wind.  

I reached a 600 yard par 5 into the breeze with it. Well 10 yards short, but still.  I was amazed. 320 drive and 270 3 wood. I nutted both shots. Have 4 witnesses for it too. 

Which Callaway ball, if I may ask?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Obviously not conclusive, but:

Screenshot_20220822-202346_Firefox.jpg.3475bfe3b8cd6926ff259876d94e2eac.jpgScreenshot_20220808-122942_Firefox.jpg.65e9d72c7c24d8eb9b87f85c9f3c59a4.jpg

Srixon did manage 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 22nd, and 35th. 4 of their 6 staffers in the top 10 at Muirfield. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

38 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Which Callaway ball, if I may ask?

I play the X. I tried the XLS but it didn't spin enough on driver mishits and fell out of the sky.  When I hit the XLS well, it went about 5 yards more on everything.  But I need my spin to be around 2000.  Less than that and the ball starts to become hard to predict off the driver. 

37 minutes ago, Agwinup said:

I play the X. I tried the XLS but it didn't spin enough on driver mishits and fell out of the sky.  When I hit the XLS well, it went about 5 yards more on everything.  But I need my spin to be around 2000.  Less than that and the ball starts to become hard to predict off the driver. 

Off topic,  but glad you found the X. If you are only getting 2k spin with it, that puts you pretty far off the bell curve.  Assuming the rest of your launch conditions are good the only other balls that wouldn't fall from the sky would be the KSigs and maybe the Mizuno.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

13 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Off topic,  but glad you found the X. If you are only getting 2k spin with it, that puts you pretty far off the bell curve.  Assuming the rest of your launch conditions are good the only other balls that wouldn't fall from the sky would be the KSigs and maybe the Mizuno.

My driver spin is around 2k not spin with irons. My iron spin is a bit low but I launch the ball semi high. I spin the ball around 9k to 10k with a pw. 

And yes my driver is about 115mph to 118 with 10° launch and 2k backspin. I get about 170 to 178 ball speed. I've hit the 180 mark a few times but I was working at it every day and really trying to get longer. 

So my carry numbers are anywhere from 285 to 305. 

14 hours ago, Agwinup said:

Because what the best ball is in the wind will vary based on golfer. Just like there’s not a best ball overall for people.

Plus for many the Callaway ball either sux or people stopped playing them because their qc sucked and there were better quality balls that performed the same or better and were cheaper or same price 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1