Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

HZRDUS Smoke hybrid shafts not correct weight

17 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

Hey everybody, I have a question. I got a few HZRDUS Smoke hybrid shafts parallel tip in 6.5 flex 80 g. When my buddy gave them to me, first thing I did was weigh them. All of the shafts weigh in the low 50 g range.

are these factory seconds, blems?

I don’t think anyone here can tell you; what did your buddy say or what did the manufacturer say? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not sure about the manufacturer. I haven’t called them because it’s a non issue for me. My buddy had a bunch of fun stuff in the garage from his parents house including some club fitting/ building stuff. His dad died about eight months ago and his Mom just passed. He’s finally getting around to cleaning the place out so he can put the house on the market. He gave me a whole bunch of cool stuff including a nice old Kenneth Smith swing weight scale, some Vokey ,Vega wedge heads and what look to be brand new Krank hybrid heads from at least 15-20 years ago and a couple of Krank driver head pulls that looked to be outdated by a decade or two

Im not complaining about any of the new stuff I received.

Im tickled to death with everything.

Just curious as to the shaft weights.

12 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

Just curious as to the shaft weights.

My initial gut reaction is that they are counterfeit as I would never expect a manufacturer to release a club that far out of spec. Weight range on the Project X site is 80-83 grams based on flex.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That was my first thought.

Im not very good at the game of golf but once upon a time I bowled professionally and there were tons of balls released by pretty much every major equipment manufacturer as factory 2nds or blems.

Until I got my PBA card, I had no real access to free pro line equipment so I would buy these for my kids but only blems.

Never any Squirrley weight blocks or hinky cover stocks.

One little mess up in the color or some other minor issue during manufacturing cost the release of quite a few inexpensive balls to hit market.

Not sure if golf equipment folks do the same.

19 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

Im not very good at the game of golf but once upon a time I bowled professionally and there were tons of balls released by pretty much every major equipment manufacturer as factory 2nds or blems.

Until I got my PBA card, I had no real access to free pro line equipment so I would buy these for my kids but only blems.

One little mess up in the color or some other minor issue during manufacturing cost the release of quite a few inexpensive balls to hit market.

There are some seconds and blem products in the golf world,  mostly in the ball space but you will also see some clubs.   I personally wouldn’t  think a shaft with a 30gr weight difference would be released. 

41 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

Balled labels X out are blemishes and failed some aspect of QC.

When something is way out of whack the chances are it’s not a 2nd or blemish it’s an all out fake. Only way to know if it’s a fake or something else wrong is to contact the manufacturer 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I know what you’re saying about X-outs.

I would buy x-out Titleist 384 tour balata balls way back when.

Used to make those things smile way too often.

Now I’m old as “F” and haven’t much knowledge on newer equipment.

Last new clubs I bought are Nike VR Pro combo irons and I still play them.

I can see these shafts being knock offs, but they’re using actual OEM labeling?

That sounds wildly illegal.

Even the blem bowling balls I mentioned in an earlier post didn’t have OEM logos on them.

Columbia 300 was notorious for releasing these balls and if you didn’t know what you’re doing or looking at, you could wind up with s***** weighted balls that were a paperweight at best.

They rebranded them as Bonanza 300.

Not sure how I still remember that. That was more than 40+ years ago.

They stuck a generic label on them but everyone who knew anything about bowling equipment knew exactly what particular ball this was meant to be so it was easy to buy accordingly.

The shafts in question seem a bunch out of spec while the rest are very close in weight but still not 80g that it says on the shaft artwork, which I think looks pretty cool.

Looked up this particular shaft and found it’s made by True Temper.

Those guys make quality products and they’ve been around forever. The project x shafts in my Nike irons are made by true temper.

All this time I thought they were what used to be Brunswick shafts.

You folks are probably correct as you know much more than I in this instance.

Well, I F’d up.

I weighed them again and I’m guessing I did something wrong the first time.

They weigh out at right about 67g, not the 51g I initially reported.

All shafts we’re within 1.3g from heaviest to lightest.

Still way to light but they don’t seem to be total wastes.

Like you say, they’re probably  fakes but I think they’re still cool looking.

2 hours ago, Militant Buddha said:

can see these shafts being knock offs, but they’re using actual OEM labeling?

That sounds wildly illegal.

They wouldn’t be knockoffs they would be counterfeit and yes counterfeit is illegal. This happens to lots of products and golf is known to have several products that have been counterfeited. There’s a thread about a guy playing fold with someone who purposely bought a counterfeit driver on purpose.

Scotty Cameron putters, scotty Cameron golf bags and headcovers get counterfeited all the time. TaylorMade stealth drivers had counterfeits made within a week of product release.

2 hours ago, Militant Buddha said:

Looked up this particular shaft and found it’s made by True Temper.

Those guys make quality products and they’ve been around forever. The project x shafts in my Nike irons are made by true temper.

Correct PX is a division of true temper. Px also makes products for several different sports.

5 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

Well, I F’d up.

I weighed them again and I’m guessing I did something wrong the first time.

All shafts we’re within 1.3g from heaviest to lightest.

Still way to light but they don’t seem to be total wastes.

Like you say, they’re probably  fakes but I think they’re still cool looking.

Still likely chance they are counterfeit 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

67gr is more reasonable.  If they were already trimmed you could drop that  much weight.  uncut length is 42".  

54 minutes ago, Militant Buddha said:

Does anyone know if project X steel shafts were originally made by Brunswick? 

Im liking these forums.

Learning a lot.

Yep.  Brunswick was bought by Royal Precision in 1997.