Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

2022 MGS Most Wanted Players Distance Irons

fixyurdivot

This years summary reads a bit like a "pick your poison or sugar pill" choice.  No one of the top 5 stands out across the various categories; scoring, distance, forgiveness, and accuracy.  Curious why several other make/models weren't included... Srixon and Sub70 in particular?  Nice seeing Wilson still standing toe to toe with the BIG's - looks like their onto something with the power slot/chambers.

https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-players-distance-irons/

What stands out to you about this years findings?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

At a very brief first glance it looks like shiny chrome is not a great aesthetic (at least it was mentioned among several negative points for clubs) Which is interesting to me as I think it is what I would possibly lean towards. Don't get me wrong I love my hydro finish on the i210, but a nice shiny finish of the Rogue ST Pro's I really gravitate towards. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

33 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This years summary reads a bit like a "pick your poison or sugar pill" choice.  No one of the top 5 stands out across the various categories; scoring, distance, forgiveness, and accuracy.  Curious why several other make/models weren't included... Srixon and Sub70 in particular?  Nice seeing Wilson still standing toe to toe with the BIG's - looks like their onto something with the power slot/chambers.

https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-players-distance-irons/

What stands out to you about this years findings?

Always great to see Wilson do well. I have had two previous versions of the AP2’s and just switched to Titleist T100s last year and have been really happy. Took some time to adjust to the increase in distance but the forgiveness and accuracy that I have experienced with T100s irons have been a noticeable improvement over my last AP2’s. Surprised the T100S irons didn’t finish higher is accuracy but every swing is different so these tests are not perfect. 

I am also surprised about Srixon and Sub70, not sure why they didn’t participate. 

Never surprised about Mizuno irons finishing at the top. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5 degree; :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60G, 6.0 Flex

:titelist-small: TSI 2, 3W 15 degrees

:titelist-small: TSI 2,  3 Hybrid 18 degrees

:titelist-small: TSI 2, 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

:titelist-small: T200 5 Iron

:titleist-small: T150 6 thru PW

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM8 48 & 52; SM9 58 degrees

:titelist-small: :cameron-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5 Putter; :EVNROLL: ER5v Hatchback Putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1-2023 & :maxfli: 2023 Tour Ball 

:titleist-small: Players 4 Plus Stand Bag
Bushnell Tour V5 Rangefinder 

:Arccos: Caddie 

:SuperSpeed:  Training System 

54 minutes ago, Dennis K said:

I am also surprised about Srixon and Sub70, not sure why they didn’t participate. 

Never surprised about Mizuno irons finishing at the top. 

I'm sure we'll get the "scoop" about their absence from one of our testers.  One of the Mizuno Hot Metals was pretty much a toss-up against the PING G425's I ultimately decided on during my first ever iron fitting.  I chose PING mostly because I played PE2's for the previous 30 years.  I've just started a DIY build bench with plans to play around with a few 1-3 product cycle old iron heads and Recoil shaft (which were a close second to the MMT), ultimately building a second combo type bag.  Some Mizuno iron will definitely be in the mix.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

At a very brief first glance it looks like shiny chrome is not a great aesthetic (at least it was mentioned among several negative points for clubs) Which is interesting to me as I think it is what I would possibly lean towards. Don't get me wrong I love my hydro finish on the i210, but a nice shiny finish of the Rogue ST Pro's I really gravitate towards. 

That's funny as "polished chrome" is a negative for me.  A clubmakers nightmare... trying to cover everyone's preferences, and hoping you nailed the 80/20 rule. 

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm sure we'll get the "scoop" about their absence from one of our testers.  

My guess is that the new Sub70 clubs came out after the testing deadline and there wasn't a new offering from Srixon and they were tested in prior years.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This years summary reads a bit like a "pick your poison or sugar pill" choice.  No one of the top 5 stands out across the various categories; scoring, distance, forgiveness, and accuracy. 

Nice seeing Wilson still standing toe to toe with the BIG's

The more I test these clubs the more I realize they are all pretty equal.  Mizuno irons don't generally work well for me and I typically love the Wilson offerings;  maybe it is a weight distribution thing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I thought it was funny to see the tidbit about the chrome finish.  LIke you, I do love the hydro finish on my glide wedges, but chrome irons sitting in the bag and behind the ball just pops for me.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, txgolfer45 said:

Srixon ZX5 should have been included.  It is still the current offering in this category.  Can't tell if the ones included in the test are better than ZX5'S.

THey were tested in the 2020  Game Improvement category.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

My guess is that the new Sub70 clubs came out after the testing deadline and there wasn't a new offering from Srixon and they were tested in prior years.  

Except that they tested them in the wrong category... once again supporting the argument for a new "PI" category 😉.  

1 hour ago, txgolfer45 said:

Srixon ZX5 should have been included.  It is still the current offering in this category.  Can't tell if the ones included in the test are better than ZX5'S.

I've seen them listed in both PD and GI categories in various sources and article... seems like they are tweeners 😆.

14 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Except that they tested them in the wrong category... once again supporting the argument for a new "PI" category 😉.  

Yep, todays clubs do seem to cross over between categories.  

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep, todays clubs do seem to cross over between categories.  

That's why I chose them... they reflect my game 🙂.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931), starring Fredric March | Silent horror,  Horror movies, Horror

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've seen them listed in both PD and GI categories in various sources and article... seems like they are tweeners 😆.

Since Srixon came out with the ZX4, that fits the GI category.  ZX7 is players CB and ZX5 is players distance.  I play the ZX5's.  

31 minutes ago, txgolfer45 said:

Since Srixon came out with the ZX4, that fits the GI category.  ZX7 is players CB and ZX5 is players distance.  I play the ZX5's.  

Yep,  that is how they are listed on the Srixon site today.   There were tested in different categories last year by MGS and since they were previously tested they weren't tested again this year.  

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yep,  that is how they are listed on the Srixon site today.   There were tested in different categories last year by MGS and since they were previously tested they weren't tested again this year.  

And, based on their data from last years testing, I don't think they would have faired any better.  Based on my years worth of play with them, I wouldn't consider them strong in the "distance race" anyway.  Their lofts are definitely not aggressive compared to most either in category (power loft options aside).  Still, I would have liked to have seen their results against the other make/models... sigh 😧.

I am a 14 handicap and presently play mizuno jpx 2019 hot metal irons. I previously played mizuno  69 forged s300 stiff shaft irons. At 79 years I was fitted for the mizuno hot metals. The hot metals are long and forgiving.  Several of the low handicap players that I play with have actually gone to the new mizuno hot metal irons. 

8 hours ago, fossil said:

I am a 14 handicap and presently play mizuno jpx 2019 hot metal irons. I previously played mizuno  69 forged s300 stiff shaft irons. At 79 years I was fitted for the mizuno hot metals. The hot metals are long and forgiving.  Several of the low handicap players that I play with have actually gone to the new mizuno hot metal irons. 

Which HM's did you end up with?

Did TM not participate? Hard to believe neither the 770s or 790s didn't make the list. I've hit both and both are long, high, and highly forgiving.

:srixon-small: Z785 9.5° |

:taylormade-small: M5 3W |

:nike-small: Sq Dymo^2 5W (just can't quit you) |

:taylormade-small: P790 4-AW |

:cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/60° |

THEE :odyssey-small:White Hot OG Rossie (2006)

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

3 hours ago, kylebennett006 said:

Did TM not participate? Hard to believe neither the 770s or 790s didn't make the list. I've hit both and both are long, high, and highly forgiving.

P790s were included.  

Gotta say, the chrome doesn't look all that bad tbh.  Can't imagine it wears very well though. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)