Shorter backswing better wedge shots. Anyone else?

404yds

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... Dayum, I was a full time instructor and I knew better than to help my ex wife with her game. 

My wife is a complete newbie at golf, having not played in nearly 30 years....I never say anything other than "nice shot" (regardless of whether it is or not) when we play/practice together.  

Driver: :PXG:  Black Ops 12* with :projectx:Cypher 50 5.0

Fairway:  :PXG: Black Ops 3 wood with :projectx:Cypher 50 5.0

Hybrids: :PXG: Black Ops 19* and 22* with :projectx:Cypher 50 5.0

Irons:   :PXG:Gen6 6, 7, 8, 9, W, G with :projectx:Cypher 50 5.0

Wedges:   :PXG: Sugar Daddy II 52* and 56* with :projectx:Cypher 50 5.0

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft @ 34"

Ball: :maxfli: Tour, :callaway-small: Chrome Tour, :titleist-small: Pro V1

Other: :sunmountain: C10 Bag, :redrooster: glove

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

My wife is a complete newbie at golf, having not played in nearly 30 years....I never say anything other than "nice shot" (regardless of whether it is or not) when we play/practice together.  

Sometimes I just can't help myself.  I know my wife can make better shots, so I make an interjection.  She usually says something like "OK, that's enough!" and I stop... knowing I shouldn't have said anything.  You see... there is an "inside voice" and an "outside voice" but sometimes the inside voice gets outside.

Honestly though, my wife has a much better swing than I do.  I have to work hard at my swing, but her swing just comes naturally and she's been doing it for 58 years.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You see... there is an "inside voice" and an "outside voice" but sometimes the inside voice gets outside.

In my 27 years of marriage... that inside voice getting out is the cause of every fight we have ever had.  haha.   Well said Kenny!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Really interesting conversation going on here! For those that may not be familiar with deWiz, this is the exact type of solution that we help golfers with on our platform.

Worn on the lead wrist, deWiz will track and physically measure the distance your hands travel in the swing. By knowing those backswing length measurements on every single swing, you'll know right away whether or not you're hitting those intended marks rather than going off of feel or having to go back and look at video.

Check out some of our videos related to wedge game distance control: 

Also happy to answer any additional questions people may have!

Improve your game FAST

On 11/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, deWiz Golf said:

Really interesting conversation going on here! For those that may not be familiar with deWiz, this is the exact type of solution that we help golfers with on our platform.

Worn on the lead wrist, deWiz will track and physically measure the distance your hands travel in the swing. By knowing those backswing length measurements on every single swing, you'll know right away whether or not you're hitting those intended marks rather than going off of feel or having to go back and look at video.

Check out some of our videos related to wedge game distance control: 

Also happy to answer any additional questions people may have!

Sorry for stupid question, but how would I know what my 3/4 swing is? Does deWiz measure this, because I only saw distance in inches.

My longest drive recorded on course is 404 yards.

20 minutes ago, 404yds said:

Sorry for stupid question, but how would I know what my 3/4 swing is? Does deWiz measure this, because I only saw distance in inches.

3/4 is nearly a full swing. It’s between lead arm being parallel to the ground and full swing. What that is will vary for each person. 

Partial shots are a combination of both swing length and speed. The key thing is to match rotation other swing length. You don’t want a 3/4 swing length with only 1/4 body rotation or vice versa

I use terms like "1/2 swing" and "3/4 swing" but it is really a feel thing as many have commented above.  If I go to the range, or the practice hole, and hit 50 shots with what feels like a "3/4 swing" to me... I have a sample size of data showing me what my distance is with that swing and that club on average.  So I can take that "feel" to the course, and when I find my ball in that average yardage window, and the lie and pin location is conducive to that type of shot, I can pull on that practiced feel of a "3/4 swing" that I have developed and have an expectation of the executed shot.  There are a few different ways to think about this.  am I more consistent with this swing because I spent more time practicing it than a higher lofted club with a full swing that goes a similar distance?  or is it because the partial swing is more controllable and repeatable?  Maybe a little of both... but the common theme is that it takes practice and repetition to get to a place where you can trust it on the course.   At least that is my thought on it.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1