Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

L.A.B. Putters - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the testers main posts in the links below!

@RoverRick TESTING POST

@McGolf TESTING POST

@pozzit TESTING POST

@Splatt TESTING POST

@Syks7 TESTING POST

@TSauer TESTING POST

Favorite Review?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tester had your favorite overall review?

On 7/12/2023 at 10:39 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

So to all the testers I know this isn't a big deal, but how good is the head cover!

As promised, I took a few more pics of the putter cover. 

IMG_4364.jpeg.594957d9edbc4827778f1691dad45c9b.jpeg

The stitching on the entire cover is flawless. 

IMG_4500.jpeg.77bcfa2941b20723ce7e9718389d8134.jpeg

As I said, there is no fading so far of the red thread making up the stripes. That’s white leather with red thread making up the stripes. 

IMG_4501.jpeg.0b2a2f3163ccb2cc955fcb448b884b14.jpeg

The underside is blue leather with the L.A.B. Golf symbol in white thread. 
IMG_4502.jpeg.236a8f9b5f193d04583ac58ef60fc31f.jpeg

There is some bag wear on the cover, but that’s hardly L.A.B.’s fault. As a matter of fact this shows that it is doing its job.

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Had a solid day yesterday and continued a decent putting run.  32 Putts with 88 ft of putts made (including Par from 17', Par from 7', Par from 9', Par from 7', Par from 9', Par from 22', and Birdie from 7'.)  For those of you counting that means I made the other 11 putts in 10 total feet.  Had 3 birdie and 2 par putts lip out.  Including one from 35' that hit center cup with just a bit too much pace. (Popped straight up and settled on the back lip).   

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

11 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

Had a solid day yesterday and continued a decent putting run.  32 Putts with 88 ft of putts made (including Par from 17', Par from 7', Par from 9', Par from 7', Par from 9', Par from 22', and Birdie from 7'.)  For those of you counting that means I made the other 11 putts in 10 total feet.  Had 3 birdie and 2 par putts lip out.  Including one from 35' that hit center cup with just a bit too much pace. (Popped straight up and settled on the back lip).   

What's incredible (truly, to me) about this is that 32 putts is going to be a "high" number of putts as you get more and more comfortable with this thing.  I can't help but feel like this thing is a gateway to lower scores - now that I'm not afraid of my putting stroke, I was able to focus more on green-reading.  Once I got more comfortable there, I was able to spend a lot more time focusing on my overall short game - pitching in particular.  I've been leaving myself with SO many putts inside 10' (from, let's say, 50 yards and in) that I've been making a TON of 1-putt greens (sadly, usually for par, but...that's gonna get worked on soon 😉 ).  Now that I feel confident in my pitching, it's time to start working from 50-150 yards, etc.  

I know I'll have 'bad' rounds where nothing drops and I effectively two-putt everything, but ... the days of 40+ putts are so far removed from my memory it's incredible.  

It's almost like L.A.B. know what they're doing 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

What's incredible (truly, to me) about this is that 32 putts is going to be a "high" number of putts as you get more and more comfortable with this thing.  I can't help but feel like this thing is a gateway to lower scores - now that I'm not afraid of my putting stroke, I was able to focus more on green-reading.  Once I got more comfortable there, I was able to spend a lot more time focusing on my overall short game - pitching in particular.  I've been leaving myself with SO many putts inside 10' (from, let's say, 50 yards and in) that I've been making a TON of 1-putt greens (sadly, usually for par, but...that's gonna get worked on soon 😉 ).  Now that I feel confident in my pitching, it's time to start working from 50-150 yards, etc.  

I know I'll have 'bad' rounds where nothing drops and I effectively two-putt everything, but ... the days of 40+ putts are so far removed from my memory it's incredible.  

It's almost like L.A.B. know what they're doing 😉

Without giving the game away there's a serious possibility that I will be buying further into the tech...

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

That orange color looks very nice and the matching head over is a nice touch too! How do you like the color? It looks like the shaft angles out of the grip slightly. Is that an optical illusion or were you fit for that?

I really like the color! It is a matte metallic finish and I think it looks really good. As others have said, the shaft is “pressed” 1.5* by the grip (and balanced that way) so it did take a little time for me to adjust but now I feel like I roll the ball better than ever.

I had always been a pretty good putter and I am very interested to see how I can score with more time and comfort with the LAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

Weather permitting, my last round before the final review will be this weekend.

I am considering changing grips soon, but probably won't do that until until after this weekend. I want to invest in a new grip that is similar in weight at 69g, so I may go with the Garsen Quad. I keep reading how many people love it on the Link.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

So this weekend was a big one got 72 holes over 2 days. Had a phenomenal day and a mediocre day. I had some fantastic putts both days but just had some fall out on day 2. 

Day 1 all my shortgame was hot had several chips that left me with gimmes but also dropped has 31 putts on both rounds. The greens were crazy and fortunately I didn't have too many super long putts to deal with. I played with @pozzim and he was a mile away on top many holes and had 80 total putts. The heartbreaker was on hole 36. I was at 53' it was uphill and side hill, the ball wouldn't stop and rolled 15' past next one broke 5' to the right and left with 6' and then lipped that out. Finishing with a 4 putt ugh. 

Day 2 putting overall wasn't great with 38 in the morning and 34 in the afternoon. But I made a beautiful 33 footers for birdie and has 11 holes where I was 18'+ away and left it within gimmie range.  Chipping wasn't great so left a lot at of 18+ feet putts to contend with. 

Also I know I'm right against the end of the review but may have a Quintec analysis this coming weekend. Let's finish with a bang.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Tim putted much better with the LAB putter this time around compared to our previous few rounds about a month ago. He looked much more comfortable and confident with it. Sure there were some where the speed or the read was wrong but there was no avoiding that with the 2 courses that we played, Finkbine in Iowa City and Blue Top Ridge in Riverside, IA. 

I wish LAB had a trade in program so I could swap from a DF to Mezz without the huge wallet hit or dealing with classifieds. Shipping to/from Hawaii usually results in one side of the deal having to eat the cost.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I have been doing this little drill each day at work. It is pretty simple and has gone to show the overall improvement from using the Mezz Max.

I have a PuttOut and mat in my office. I have a good amount of downtime in-between games so I usually use it to spend time putting or on the forum. 

The mat has markings on it for distance so I ensure to keep things consistent and I have a mirror plate to line everything up. I usually go form about 6 feet (not a ton of room in my office) and take 1 of the 3 putters I have and it is a simple how many will it take to get the perfect roll on the Puttout. 

The LAB consistently is between 4-6 putts. Which I believe is impressive. The Puttout is frustrating as all hell and getting the perfect putt to have it stay can take a good amount of time. 

The Ping Fetch is the other putter I have in my locker and while I am often dead straight with it the speed often leads to a variable of 14-26 putts to make the perfect putt. I dont quite understand why as it is all same length of putt and setup and again I honestly feel I am almost more online, but the speed just leads to way more putts. 

The final one is my adapted Cobra Vintage with Strokelab shaft. This putter is the opposite of the Fetch. Speed I find is spot on, but direction leaves a bit to pulling and left and right misses. Similar to the Fetch I have been 14-24 putts to make the perfect putt. 

I have done this drill a good dozen times now and switched the order in which putter goes first last and middle and I am truly astonished. Yes it is practice and not a real green, but the level or precision is crazy with Puttout.

As for the direction. The Ping is the only standard steel shaft and the head does feel heavier so maybe that is why the direction is better, but speed is not. With the others feeling lighter in my mind that makes sense. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

18 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have been doing this little drill each day at work. It is pretty simple and has gone to show the overall improvement from using the Mezz Max.

I have a PuttOut and mat in my office. I have a good amount of downtime in-between games so I usually use it to spend time putting or on the forum. 

The mat has markings on it for distance so I ensure to keep things consistent and I have a mirror plate to line everything up. I usually go form about 6 feet (not a ton of room in my office) and take 1 of the 3 putters I have and it is a simple how many will it take to get the perfect roll on the Puttout. 

The LAB consistently is between 4-6 putts. Which I believe is impressive. The Puttout is frustrating as all hell and getting the perfect putt to have it stay can take a good amount of time. 

The Ping Fetch is the other putter I have in my locker and while I am often dead straight with it the speed often leads to a variable of 14-26 putts to make the perfect putt. I dont quite understand why as it is all same length of putt and setup and again I honestly feel I am almost more online, but the speed just leads to way more putts. 

The final one is my adapted Cobra Vintage with Strokelab shaft. This putter is the opposite of the Fetch. Speed I find is spot on, but direction leaves a bit to pulling and left and right misses. Similar to the Fetch I have been 14-24 putts to make the perfect putt. 

I have done this drill a good dozen times now and switched the order in which putter goes first last and middle and I am truly astonished. Yes it is practice and not a real green, but the level or precision is crazy with Puttout.

As for the direction. The Ping is the only standard steel shaft and the head does feel heavier so maybe that is why the direction is better, but speed is not. With the others feeling lighter in my mind that makes sense.

That is quite the difference in numbers there, and it's honestly crazy. I have a PuttOut sitting around, I never thought to try this. I may do that sometime in the near future, just because you got me curious now.

This was after today's round. I had some decent short game shots, especially hole 6. I stuck it to 1 foot from about 100 yards out, which is usually a tough yardage for me. Anyway, my putting was feeling pretty good. I've started to develop a putting routine, which I never really did before... and I'm not sure why.

Read the line, line up my ball, take a few step backs to check the line one more time, then step up and putt it.

There were a couple of putts where the original line on my ball was on the correct line, but after getting over the ball it didn't feel right so I adjusted my line a hair and it caused lip outs on both of the putts. So, always trust your gut. The left misses were mainly due to speed. The line looked fine, but I just didn't hit it near hard enough and they died short left.

This was also my first round with a three putt since testing the Link. It was an uphill 30 footer, with a slightly damp green, and yeah... I hit it with my purse. It was a terrible putt that I left about 4' short and missed that putt right. Great way to start the turn, let me tell ya.

Screenshot2023-07-22204400.png.6a4cf3fe4a5de99f8f56f08f103e41b9.png

Hoping to get my final review done tomorrow. 👍

My final review has been posted. You can read all about it here:

I want to again say THANK YOU to those at MyGolfSpy that are involved in the testing opportunities for the forum members, this has been so much fun! Also, a HUGE shoutout to Sam Hahn and everyone at L.A.B. for making this fine piece of equipment! I will continue to update this thread after each round as well as keep everyone posted on other tests whenever I get some free time to run them.

I want to again say THANK YOU to those at MyGolfSpy that are involved in the testing opportunities for the forum members, this has been so much fun! Also, a HUGE shoutout to Sam Hahn and everyone at L.A.B. for making this fine piece of equipment! I will continue to update this thread after each round as well as keep everyone posted on other tests whenever I get some free time to run them.
Great read. I plan to have mine up tomorrow. Just got done with a Quintec fitting and it was enlightening to say the least.

59 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Also planning to have mine up in the next day or so!

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

1 minute ago, Syks7 said:

Also planning to have mine up in the next day or so!

8 minutes ago, pozzit said:
1 hour ago, TSauer said:

Great read. I plan to have mine up tomorrow. Just got done with a Quintec fitting and it was enlightening to say the least.

Looking forward to reading through your all’s reviews! Especially interested in the different testing you guys did, especially the Quintec stuff. 

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

Absolutely crushed it. Anyone reading this, do yourselves a favor and go read this enlightening, entertaining review - AWESOME work! (And very glad it delivered for you!)

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

24 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Absolutely crushed it. Anyone reading this, do yourselves a favor and go read this enlightening, entertaining review - AWESOME work! (And very glad it delivered for you!)

Thanks, Matt! Hopefully I can convince at least one person to join the LAB gang. 🤙

1 minute ago, TSauer said:

Thanks, Matt! Hopefully I can convince at least one person to join the LAB gang. 🤙

No doubt - and you'll have to show me how you made the gif-esque vids in your review - I LOVE them.

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

No doubt - and you'll have to show me how you made the gif-esque vids in your review - I LOVE them.

For sure! Most of the "Hello" or "Review" graphics were created through Canva. The gifs of myself and the couple at the end were just recorded and converted through my phone. Then, of course the aerial putt was courtesy of my drone. Glad you liked 'em!

18 hours ago, TSauer said:

For sure! Most of the "Hello" or "Review" graphics were created through Canva. The gifs of myself and the couple at the end were just recorded and converted through my phone. Then, of course the aerial putt was courtesy of my drone. Glad you liked 'em!

Nice review man. I know you mentioned leaving putts short -- is that still the case in your most recent rounds? Seems like it was, after reading your recent post and leaving putts short on most of your misses? It's the one thing I struggle with the DF, and most of the greens I play on are fluffy and slow which I think compounds the "issue"

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

Nice review man. I know you mentioned leaving putts short -- is that still the case in your most recent rounds? Seems like it was, after reading your recent post and leaving putts short on most of your misses? It's the one thing I struggle with the DF, and most of the greens I play on are fluffy and slow which I think compounds the "issue"

Yep, that's pretty much the case here as well. That final round I posted was at my home course, the greens were a little fuzzy, and at least a couple of those putts would have dropped if I just hit it harder as they were right on line. I went out again yesterday morning just after they were cut and what do ya know... I was blowing them by the hole. I was all out of whack.

But yeah, most of the courses I play have greens similar to yours and distance control is my kryptonite at the moment.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:15 AM, TSauer said:

Untitled(AnimatedLogo)(Postcard)(62in).gif.60d19b9be16fe2fb26e9741387466218.gif

Hello friends, and welcome to a review unlike any other (in my best Jim Nantz voice). My name is Tyler Sauer and I hail from a small mid-western town known as Belle, Missouri. I am a 32 year golf junkie that was introduced to the game back in 2015. Spoiler alert, I’ve been addicted ever since. I have been married to my lovely wife for 3 years and we have a 19 month old that keeps us on our toes each and every day. When I was younger, I was dedicated to basketball and nothing else. In fact, golf was never something that interested me. If you would have told me in my early twenties that I’d be this hooked on the game, I would have called you crazy. I joined MGS back in 2016, but I’ve been on a slight hiatus the past couple of years simply due to being busy with our little one and of course the whole winter thing that tends to roll around every eight months or so and forces me to put golf on the back burner. I’m only slightly envious of y’all that get year-round golf weather. Anyway, I’m back baby! Happy to see everyone and excited to interact with all the newcomers I’ve missed during my hibernation.

12.jpg.cf66be15adfa9648b01af754299d3b0e.jpg     123.jpg.5772c9484b2cfa2a150bdd13d571658a.jpg    1234_3_15.jpg.bc3c119cb722af0a75c2574c9da4bfe0.jpg

My hometown course is just a few minutes from my house, and since I work remote, it tends to soak up my lunch hour most days. It’s a relatively short 9-hole track with a couple holes that can really cause some trouble. Ask me how I know. I consider myself a pretty casual golfer, I try to get in 2-3 rounds a week along with some practice time squeezed in there somewhere. If you had to distribute skill points as if you were creating my character, it would look as follows: 

7-41.png.825890d3e18aa992cf629b9d78b26e14.png

My putting is usually the one thing that remains pretty steady throughout the season. I would consider myself a good reader of the greens, but I still tend to have those slight misses on either side of the cup. Could that be the putter to blame? Could it be that maybe I’m not as good at reading as I thought? Well, that’s what we’re about to find out. L.A.B. has been in the lab creating something special, claiming you only need the correct line, good speed, and your natural stroke to sink more putts. No longer will you need to worry about returning a square face, as their tech should make it effortless to do so. I plan to put those claims to the test in a 1v1 battle where my Newport 2 squares up against the Link. The plan is to continue what I'm doing now, and that's playing lots of golf, all while paying more close attention to putting stats like SGP as well as recording distances and missed putt data. 

I am truly excited for this heavyweight bout, especially since I’ve never gamed a center shafted putter. And, since we’re on a bit of a scientific showdown I want to leave you all with my hypothesis…

IF the Link.1 face remains square throughout my stroke, THEN I will drop more putts and make the L.A.B. putter my primary, BECAUSE we all love one putts.  

(Bonus shot of my local course that I took with my drone)

118082490_10158361094290803_1116996708496789884_o_4_38.jpg.b1f14910078521f2ff07f2ee511efeef.jpg

baked(FacebookCover)(1640215px)(800105px)(40053px).gif.ed5f49829b1eaceb2fa933fbaee4bfdc.gif

I want to give a quick overview of the fitting experience I had with Sam. To begin with, L.A.B. offers remote fittings if you’re not able to make it to one of the locations that is able to fit you in person. Personally, I think that’s pretty rad! In order to complete the remote fitting, just throw on your golf shoes, record a DTL clip of you putting, and send it in. Of course there are a few other specifics, but that’s the gist of it. After the Facetime with Sam, I slipped on my kicks, busted out the tripod, and sank an imaginary 40 footer… a few times. Normally, you would email the video in and they would analyze it and get back with you. In this case, Sam wanted the video sent directly to him so we could expedite the process. Pretty cool… right?

After sending him the goods, he had a couple of concerns and wanted me to adjust some things. Unbeknownst to me, I was pretty crammed up and my sight line was a little far over the ball. I currently play a 36” putter, but luckily I had a 37” one lying around, as that’s what he wanted me to try out. Back to the tripod we went, relaxed the posture, and focused on keeping the sight line a little inside the hosel. Sam liked the second rendition much better… Now we’re cooking! He gave me the deets on what options he suggested and we rolled with it (ba dum tss). After recording both fittings, I took a look at things and put the images side by side, which made it pretty apparent that I was indeed a little crammed and in an extremely poor position. 

ScottyGifSmall.gif.878f488772e733d0b42f08ebc4727ee7.gif       checkx2.jpg.ae30f7449ae95a138b79921ab33cd563.jpg       ScottyLine_1_20.jpg.02e9bf34503675fefcda763f29ee0441.jpg

PingGifSmall.gif.4c0716d9ce8bca136af9b40378852fe8.gif      checkx1.jpg.5a73746a6ec254907b885077cd6e639d.jpg      PingLine_20.jpg.93ea676fea9e73a7628b50c9d5d7057c.jpg

Of course, getting fit by the CEO of the company you’re getting the putter from is an awesome story. But, what made it extra special was Sam’s passion about the whole experience. He wanted to make sure he was doing everything he could to assure I am going to have the best possible outcome… which is just grand!

I will leave the custom details a mystery for now, at least until the unboxing. That way we're all waiting on the UPS man!

⛳ CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT'S IN THE BOX ⛳

If you would like to look at some early testing data, click the link below. This is still a work in progress and there will be more results posted later once I can get around to finishing those tests up!

>>> LET'S TALK NUMBERS <<<

PutterTemplate.gif.7e9a218896d96cb09fb968efa6aba565.gif

First Impressions (19.5/20)

When you think of L.A.B. Golf, what comes to mind? Do you think less strokes at the cost of looks or is it hard to even see beyond the unorthodox design that is the Mezz or DF2.1? Before testing opened, I was aware of LAB as there are a few YouTube golfers I watch religiously that play both of those aforementioned models. So, I was already intrigued. But, what really grabbed my attention was their new Link.1 model, which mimics that of a blade. Now, there are some differences there with the center shafted head and the visible weights, but I think those things give it that LAB touch and I’m able to see past it for the most part. I thought getting used to looking down at a center shafted putter would take some time, but I adjusted pretty quickly. It really does feel like hitting your traditional blade putter. I love the laser etching of the logos and the sight line, I have never seen this done before, and it is an awesome touch! There are some slight imperfections/fuzziness on the logos, which I’m assuming comes with the laser method. You can only see that if you get REALLY up close and personal, but to the naked eye you will never even notice it.

IMG-3374.jpg.cdfaf86a5ea06f4886552fb6cb4d5964.jpg IMG-3433.jpg.0851b594249fc4ddbe92dfb921599e71.jpg IMG-3432.jpg.bb7a723f96b5b0ee2ee8d0f90efe8d35.jpg

Another nice touch is the color. It may go unnoticed by most, but  when you sit it next to what I would say is the normal or most common finish, you can see the difference. It has a slightly darker, brownish tint and no glare. Nothing crazy, but something I like.

IMG-3372.jpg.a1648c20f74708d743de86d6245e229c.jpg IMG-3369.jpg.6bf0251d4c493303f60a65d8c7662727.jpg

If I had to choose one thing to gripe about with the Link, and this is a very, very nitpicky gripe, it would be the toe weights. I think it’s more of an OCD uniformity thing than anything else. Aside from that small complaint, the Link pleases my eye very much. I do like that it is a little different than most and tends to spark some putter talk with a lot of the people I play with.

IMG-3332-jpg.JPG.57514371b1b3482adbb995282a137f2a.JPG IMG-3335.JPG.ad27243fe5b4f38a72582a901b29c1c7.JPG IMG-3336.JPG.44892286e0a348cb7f34989e4ba49c5c.JPG

Speaking of the weights, they aren’t just for show. We know that putters twist during your stroke, and in order to sink putts you need to make sure that face is square at impact so you can hit your line. That is where these weights and the LAB tech come into play, claiming to reduce putter torque (face rotation) and more consistently deliver a square face at impact, no matter how slow or fast your putter stroke is. That’s where the magic is! Imagine removing that factor from putting, now all you need to focus on is your line and pace. To visualize this a little more, give this short video a watch: Why Putting Is So Hard

IMG-3368.jpg.2ec20bc417de44f1e9d7b5ae74d9fdbb.jpg

I will be putting the Link up against my two most used putters, an Evnroll ER2 and a Newport 2. I have been using the Newport 2 most recently, but have been in between the two for the past year I would say. Unfortunately, I do not have any prior stats of either of them, but will be performing several tests to gather some numbers and determine which of the three will come out on top.

The Numbers (40/40)

To start with, I wanted to put the first claim to the test. Does the LAB truly reduce torque and help my face remain constant through impact? I tested indoors on a BirdieBall putting mat at distances of 3’, 5’, 8’, and 10’. I used a laser to make sure I was lined up correctly each time that way all I would need to do is hit my line. If I could keep my face square, then I should not have any issues with making these pretty straightforward putts. I rolled 100 balls with each putter and spaced the testing out over a couple of weeks. 

PuttingData.png.0719f69abd13a795bf559ad074c58105.png

As you can tell, the Link was the clear winner here, with the Newport finishing last. The first couple distances were pretty simple putts, there was no break and all I needed to do was hit my line. Of those few I missed, I can safely say it was due to face issues. When it got to the longer putts at 8’ and 10’, there was a slight right to left break, so not only did I need to hit my line but I needed to make sure my pace was good as well. My BirdieBall is fairly quick compared to what I normally play on, so the main issue I had at first was hitting it too firm, but I was able to adjust on the later sessions. From this, I gathered that maybe I wasn’t as good of a putter as I thought I was. Maybe I have an issue with hitting my line and there’s a possibility for improvement.

Next up, I wanted to test out the longer putts from around 30’. There are days when my short game isn’t the best (more often than not) and lag putts are essential. So, I headed out to the course and tested proximity to the hole. I did those over multiple different greens with varying slopes and breaks to get the best results.

Proximity.png.1621a12ce2b9aee1ee18ee7660fc1368.png

The hardest part of this test was getting used to the Link. I did play a few rounds before getting to this test, because I struggled with distance control. A lot of times I was coming up way short, which isn’t a typical miss for me. I believe the weight of the Link played a role in this, as it is a little heavier than what I am used to. But, as you can see, after getting the hang of its stroke and characteristics, it outperformed the others significantly. A whopping 52% difference!!

Aerial shot of my proximity test. Various shots from around the green from 30 feet.

PuttGif.gif.adc46ceaaa25a901428d8e5b54bf66ef.gif

On The Course (9/10)

When we take focus off the specific test and just look at using the Link during a normal round, it’s been amazing. Not only have I gained confidence in the putts inside the 10’ range, but my chances of making those longer putts have significantly increased. Before, when the putt was beyond 15’ or 20’ I felt like I was just making the stroke and hoping for some good luck that it ended up semi close to the hole, so I could tap it in. Now, there is a real possibility of me making these putts without any luck.

I know it may sound odd to say, but it seems impossible to miss your line. I played quite a few scramble rounds over the past couple of months and I made sure to putt last or second to last just so I could get a read. It is almost unreal how many long putts were made. You may have read it in a previous comment, but there has been much praise from my golfing partners ever since I put the Link in the bag.

There are times here and there where I struggle with distance control, but I believe that will come in time. As I mentioned, I was using the Evnroll and Scotty for a while and you saw what those proximity numbers looked like. I think a couple more months with the Link and that statistic may look even better.

The Good, The Bad, The In Between (19.5/20)

There are a lot of good things to talk about, but the first and most important thing is the free online fitting. The nearest PGA Tour Superstore for me is just over 5 hours away. There is a Golf Galaxy a little over an hour away, but from what I saw, they do not carry LAB putters. So, the ability to send a video into LAB to dissect your setup and fit you remotely is huge. They want to make sure the putter is fit perfectly for you!

Another good thing, and I cannot say this enough, is the headcover quality is out of this world. When you buy a premium putter, you expect a premium headcover. A lot of times that part gets overlooked or the companies just don’t care enough. LAB is different. From the magnetic closure to the stitching to the soft, pillowy inside… It's absolutely phenomenal. If I ever lose or damage mine, I’m buying another one directly from LAB.

IMG-3395.jpg.d81e846ec6ae99d3cdfaabf5be131ec3.jpg IMG-3393.jpg.4995a4f75a4b9404a4d807adf78fae7e.jpg IMG-3392.jpg.27d2620a764131e52d299c7796927c26.jpg

One thing that may get frustrating to some is those who want to make grip adjustments to their Link. We know that changing the grip can throw off the swing weight on any club, but it also throws off the balancing ever so slightly on the LAB putters. So, if you are making a drastic change, it would be best to send it in to have it rebalanced. However, this is something that comes with purchasing a putter that is fit and balanced specifically for you.

I love that the Link is the same, but different. It’s a blade, but it’s a LAB blade. It has those touches that set it apart just enough to pique the interest of others.

One final thing, another good, is that you can always reach out to LAB with questions or concerns and Sam (CEO) or another member of his team will be happy to assist. Customer service is huge and I think LAB is right there at the top!

Play It or Trade It? (10/10)

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, I will be playing this. My other putters are already nestled up inside on the rack, just waiting to gather dust. There is not much else to say here, I don’t see any reason to switch back to putters I’ve used in the past. Unless, I want to sandbag the front 9 and pull out the Link at the turn.

Closing Thoughts…

If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with mesothelioma the yips, I cannot urge you enough to give one of the putters from the LAB lineup a chance. I know you may find them a little bulky, somewhat alien-like, or just different… But, I think you will surprise yourself. I, for one, did not think my putting could improve without lots of practice sessions or maybe even a couple of lessons. However, I am already shaving strokes off of my game by doing neither of those things. There may be a small period early on where you may have some rough patches for a couple of rounds, but I guarantee once you and the new putter work things out, the relationship is going to be smooth sailing.

FINAL SCORE: 98

**Disclaimer, I have developed these weird habits since using the Link.1:

unnamed.gif.944522413704b67b1f98e270637ecd6b.gif ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.091de7b1c0b18ad98ae5e2d492522c91.gif

Great and very thorough review of this putter.

Enjoying the game 

22 minutes ago, Threeputtgame said:

Great and very thorough review of this putter.

Thank ya, sir! Appreciate it!

Official Review is up. A little later than I wanted but @TSauer brought his A game with graphs so I had to spend too much time making them look decent. Something tells me I had a bit of a different adjustment time as the rest of the crew but that's why there are 6 of us.

Again a huge thank you to MGS team and LAB golf for allowing me to test this putter there were a lot of eye opening things for me and I am grateful to have this opportunity.

57 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Official Review is up. A little later than I wanted but @TSauer brought his A game with graphs so I had to spend too much time making them look decent. Something tells me I had a bit of a different adjustment time as the rest of the crew but that's why there are 6 of us.

Again a huge thank you to MGS team and LAB golf for allowing me to test this putter there were a lot of eye opening things for me and I am grateful to have this opportunity.

Well done, Tim! You did a heck of a job with the data... that stuff is very cool to see! I agree with the break in period, it can be brutal and possibly turn people away from the putters. Hopefully the speed control ends up coming around for ya, I still struggle from time to time as well with the Link. 

On 5/2/2023 at 12:13 AM, pozzit said:

Also of note, the fitter measured me and fit me to the exact specs LABs virtual fitting suggested.

Also, this is awesome. It goes to show that there is some validity in the virtual fitting. For those that read through this thread and are considering a LAB putter, do yourself a favor and go through the process.

PS... Thanks again for the Revealer parts. 🤙

Also, this is awesome. It goes to show that there is some validity in the virtual fitting. For those that read through this thread and are considering a LAB putter, do yourself a favor and go through the process.

PS... Thanks again for the Revealer parts. [emoji1690]
I plan to dive deeper into the Quintec data in the next few day and share to anyone that cares just to help put some real numbers behind what I learned.

As for the Virtual fitting it's a huge resource if your looking at LAB or any other putter for that matter. In my opinion ts comparable to the MyTrueFit in the fact you can get some great data and information out that you can use to dive deeper. Also gives you the numbers if you see the specs on LAB outlet site or someone posting one for sale.

I truly believe if your curiosity about LAB you have to try it ideally for a full round or more.

6 hours ago, TSauer said:

Yep, that's pretty much the case here as well. That final round I posted was at my home course, the greens were a little fuzzy, and at least a couple of those putts would have dropped if I just hit it harder as they were right on line. I went out again yesterday morning just after they were cut and what do ya know... I was blowing them by the hole. I was all out of whack.

But yeah, most of the courses I play have greens similar to yours and distance control is my kryptonite at the moment.

Thx for the feedback, wasn't sure if the face was the same in the Link as it is in the DF or Mezz. Right there with you, I have the line most times if I can just hit the ball hard enough. Not sure why it's so hard to get used to. Been gaming it for at least a year, maybe even two, but it's a tale as old as time by now!

Well, a few weeks ago I let a right-handed buddy of mine mess around with the Link and he ended up sinking a 12 footer on the first try. Today, he told me he just purchased a Link for himself. 🤣

So far, that's 2 for 2 on people who have rolled it and almost instantly bought one. 

On 7/23/2023 at 5:26 PM, TSauer said:

Finally getting into the L.A.B. tests and absolutely well done, @TSauer! Amazing to see the practically immediate improvement you had with it. 

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)