Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

KBS Shafts - (Official Thread)

Jmiller,

Thanks for the question. Kim is talking about the softer flexes in the C-Taper, and how they can be used by players with slower swing speeds. The C-taper is most common in S and X flex, but it is also available in R and R+ for players with swing speeds in the 80mph range, and with smoother tempo.

The softer flexes still have the piercing trajectory and less spin rate compared with other soft shafts.

Thanks,

CM

KBS,

I recently watched the video on your YouTube channel where Kim Braly talks about the C-Taper. He makes a mention that you carry different flexes R through X in the line but it will fit a somewhat wider range of players because what you have done with the tip section of the lower flexes.

I play an X-Stiff C-Taper personally I am just curious what change between R, R+, S, S+, X was made specifically to the "lower flexes". What exactly was changed without giving any manufacturing secretes away and could you define what he means by "lower flexes"?

Thanks,

JM

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jmiller,

Thanks for the question. Kim is talking about the softer flexes in the C-Taper, and how they can be used by players with slower swing speeds. The C-taper is most common in S and X flex, but it is also available in R and R+ for players with swing speeds in the 80mph range, and with smoother tempo.

The softer flexes still have the piercing trajectory and less spin rate compared with other soft shafts.

Thanks,

CM

So "softer Flexes" means R and R+, If I am translating this properly the tip section in the R and R+ was tweaked to help slower swing speeds but the tip is still firmer then say the KBS Tour R and R+.

Maybe I have that confused but that is more what I was asking what exactly changed between S, S+, X compared to R and R+ in the C-Taper line. If I recall correctly the R and R+ came out a few months after then S, S+, X flexes did?

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Jmiller065,

Really, the only reason for releasing the R and R+ later was due to production. S, S+ and X are the most popular flexes so we produced them first.

I cannot speak to the exact differences in the softer flexes, but the result is a shaft that can be hit by players with swing speeds in the low 80s, and still see improvement in trajectory and spin rate.

Thanks, CM

So "softer Flexes" means R and R+, If I am translating this properly the tip section in the R and R+ was tweaked to help slower swing speeds but the tip is still firmer then say the KBS Tour R and R+.

Maybe I have that confused but that is more what I was asking what exactly changed between S, S+, X compared to R and R+ in the C-Taper line. If I recall correctly the R and R+ came out a few months after then S, S+, X flexes did?

The period at the end of the line got added into the URL here is a working copy --> http://kbsgolfshafts.com/community/news

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

• 2 weeks later...

KBS,

I have some KBS Tour S shafts. It is a long story but the point is I was supposed to get 4-PW. They are over length to begin with and I was going to cut them to the desired length. I was using Pure Grips so I could remove the grips and reinstall them with ease but I when I took these clubs out on the course, I found the KBS Tour S shafts unplayable for my swing. I removed these from my clubs and installed C Taper XS. I did put these in another club head and have been "tinkering" with it. I discovered that what I was sent was a set of KBS Tour Shafts S 3-9. After contacting the seller, he is claiming that by installing these I have made them non returnable. Inspite of the fact that you can read the printing on the butt of the club that says KBS Tour S 3I etc... and 4i etc. He says that he sent 4-w.

So because of this, I have taken a shaft that was maginally with in my swing speed, and soft step it making it too soft for my speed. I have the occasional big left hook that I have with too soft of shaft, but I will say it is not as bad as some I have seen.

My question is can I tip trim these to make them firmer? And cut them down so that the 3 iron shaft is a 4 iron ect... Like I was originally purchasing. And if so how far can I cut them? 1/2 inch or 1 inch? I know you can do this on a .370 parallel but these are .355 taper.

Thanks.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

KBS,

I have some KBS Tour S shafts. It is a long story but the point is I was supposed to get 4-PW. They are over length to begin with and I was going to cut them to the desired length. I was using Pure Grips so I could remove the grips and reinstall them with ease but I when I took these clubs out on the course, I found the KBS Tour S shafts unplayable for my swing. I removed these from my clubs and installed C Taper XS. I did put these in another club head and have been "tinkering" with it. I discovered that what I was sent was a set of KBS Tour Shafts S 3-9. After contacting the seller, he is claiming that by installing these I have made them non returnable. Inspite of the fact that you can read the printing on the butt of the club that says KBS Tour S 3I etc... and 4i etc. He says that he sent 4-w.

So because of this, I have taken a shaft that was maginally with in my swing speed, and soft step it making it too soft for my speed. I have the occasional big left hook that I have with too soft of shaft, but I will say it is not as bad as some I have seen.

My question is can I tip trim these to make them firmer? And cut them down so that the 3 iron shaft is a 4 iron ect... Like I was originally purchasing. And if so how far can I cut them? 1/2 inch or 1 inch? I know you can do this on a .370 parallel but these are .355 taper.

Thanks.

RoverRick,

Thanks for the question. Sorry to hear there is a mix up and let's see if I can help here. Basically, you want to un-soft step the shafts, and make them shorter. This will not stiffen performance up. This is because you can only trim 1/2in of the tip, and the butt section will have to be trimmed shorter as well which will weaken the shaft. I think the best way to utilize some of these shafts is to hard step them. I think you will need at least two more shafts to make this work, and will need a 1/2in plug. This will probably bring the stiffness up by 1/2 a flex or so. If this does not help, please call us at 303-444-2226 * 22. Thanks -CM

RoverRick,

Thanks for the question. Sorry to hear there is a mix up and let's see if I can help here. Basically, you want to un-soft step the shafts, and make them shorter. This will not stiffen performance up. This is because you can only trim 1/2in of the tip, and the butt section will have to be trimmed shorter as well which will weaken the shaft. I think the best way to utilize some of these shafts is to hard step them. I think you will need at least two more shafts to make this work, and will need a 1/2in plug. This will probably bring the stiffness up by 1/2 a flex or so. If this does not help, please call us at 303-444-2226 * 22. Thanks -CM

Thanks, I tipped these 1/2" this morning and glued them in. I will leave the butts alone and if I like them fine, if not, well, I have the X100's I can put back in these irons.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations, KBS Shafts on winning the Scottish Open and then the Open Championship. I know you did not swing the clubs but you made the shafts. This has to be a big day for you.

• 2 months later...

I'm having my first KBS experience with my new Scor Wedges - very impressive - you've really given me the shaft. In a good way of course. ;)

Love the ball flight and the spin of those wedges. It has to be the shafts.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm having my first KBS experience with my new Scor Wedges - very impressive - you've really given me the shaft. In a good way of course. ;)

Yea I found that my KBS Tour Wedge X-Stiff spun a touch more then a DG x100 wedge, or even a DG x100 Tiger Stepped in a wedge... maybe that is just me I have no physical LM proof of that so really could just be a slightly higher launch angle or something... They don't balloon, I can still hit the little knock down 2 or 3 hop and bite type shot with them into the wind.

Isn't the KBS shaft in the Scor Wedge different than the KBS Wedge shaft? I have three KBS Wedge shafts, two in my game set wedges in the 51 and 64, and a DG Spinner in my 56: I guess we will find out for sure in two and a half weeks.

How much can you trim the taper tip before it will no longer fit in a .370 hosel? I tested out a DG taper and 1 inch was fine. I plan to tip a set of taper's I have in regular to bring them up to R+ or a stepped down stiff. I'm going with the light weight regular to bring swingweight down in my CB2's, I'm currently gaming project X 5.5 which puts the swing weight near D6. I don't see the need to stepp 2 or 3x as all my shafts are uncut...

Other than bringing the ball flight down and firming up the tips, is there anything else I should be concerned with.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

RoverRick,

Yes, Score wedges are KBS Tour .370 shafts they trim differently to their own specs. They have put a lot of R&D to get the shaft and club performing a certain way. I am not sure if it spins more or less, that is probably a question Score can answer better! I have briefly hit those wedges and they do feel terrific and have a nice look to them.

Thank you for the question,

CM

Isn't the KBS shaft in the Scor Wedge different than the KBS Wedge shaft? I have three KBS Wedge shafts, two in my game set wedges in the 51 and 64, and a DG Spinner in my 56: I guess we will find out for sure in two and a half weeks.

limoric,

Thank you for the question. We do not generally suggest tip trimming the taper tip shafts. However, you can trim them 1/2in if needed. That will stiffen the flex by 1/3 increase. To achieve what you want, I would suggest hard stepping the lighter flex to help with swing weight (this is using a 6i shaft in a 5i club head, for example). If you need it a little stiffer, you could tip trim 1/2 in, so essentially you have double hard stepped. D5 is a really common swing weight on the the PGA TOUR, so D6 is not too high.

Thanks for the question,

CM

How much can you trim the taper tip before it will no longer fit in a .370 hosel? I tested out a DG taper and 1 inch was fine. I plan to tip a set of taper's I have in regular to bring them up to R+ or a stepped down stiff. I'm going with the light weight regular to bring swingweight down in my CB2's, I'm currently gaming project X 5.5 which puts the swing weight near D6. I don't see the need to stepp 2 or 3x as all my shafts are uncut...

Other than bringing the ball flight down and firming up the tips, is there anything else I should be concerned with.

Cheers.

Hey MGS members!

The golf season is winding down for many of us, but here at KBS we have a few exciting things coming! To start, today we unveiled a NEW FIT SYSTEM! Our first version has been extremely successful with over 75,000 participants. The new fit system is able to build on that success with improved functionality, logic, and now fitting for your hybrids and wedges! Check it out here, and let us know what you think!

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/fit-system

Thanks!

CM

I like the changes there. Having the hybrid and wedge option pop up is neat as well.

Side note: I'm not sure if it's suppose to be, but when you get the results and then click the more info for the shaft, what is usually the X is just showing up as a black box.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

SuperTuna,

Thanks for the feedback! We really appreciate it. Let us know if you have any other questions, I am happy to help.

-CM

I like the changes there. Having the hybrid and wedge option pop up is neat as well.

Side note: I'm not sure if it's suppose to be, but when you get the results and then click the more info for the shaft, what is usually the X is just showing up as a black box.

I'm curious about the KBS wedge shafts. How do they differ from the DG Spinner shafts from True Temper?

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Hey MyGolfSpy fans!

As you all have seen, TaylorMade Golf announced new irons yesterday. Their player's iron, the RocketBladez Tour is coming out early 2013 with stock KBS TOUR Shafts! Check out our announcement here: http://kbsgolfshafts.com/community/n...adez-tour-iron

This inline offering truly is a testament to the performance benefits of the KBS Tour!

-CM

I like the changes made to this. The question about tempo has choices of slow, moderate, and quick but the graphics give you choices of slow, moderate or fast. This is confusing for about 3 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, we have a new Blog post up about two of our TOUR Professionals. Both are gaming the C-Taper S+ shafts and have seen some serious performance benefits since switching in last year.

Check out the article!

Thanks, CM

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/community/news/kbs-blog/item/196-pga-tour-players-jump-in-rankings-after-switching-into-kbs

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a question that I have gotten a few times and have never gotten an answer that completely ends the debate for me. I have never been able to provide a complete answer either as I can see positives to both sides.

With the ability to tip trim parallel tip shafts at any increment, even to do it at different amounts for each iron, why do the "better player" irons come in taper tip only? I know your guys can get a set of perfectly matched shafts and that tolerances are fairly tight, but if I could tip trim a shaft in such small increments that I can change frequency by two or three cpm, wouldn't that make dialing in easier? I know that taper tip will inherently have a different feel than the "exact same" shaft in a parallel tip simply due to the thinner tip section and the greater taper rate, is that the only reason?

Just one of those things that you want to have an answer for when asked, but you never know if there is another reason out there. Thanks.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

A question for KBS.

I am currently playing FST Pro115 R shafts in my irons and am in the process of getting some hybrids custom made but I'm tossing up getting the same shafts as my irons or going with the KBS Hybrid shafts in an R flex.

Convince me why I should go with the KBS over the FST please?

Matt

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 2 weeks later...

Great question, thank you.

Really the best reasons are: the pros like taper tip shafts, taper tip shafts have been around longer, and taper tip can be constant weight while parallel are descending weight.

Thanks again!

CM

Here is a question that I have gotten a few times and have never gotten an answer that completely ends the debate for me. I have never been able to provide a complete answer either as I can see positives to both sides.

With the ability to tip trim parallel tip shafts at any increment, even to do it at different amounts for each iron, why do the "better player" irons come in taper tip only? I know your guys can get a set of perfectly matched shafts and that tolerances are fairly tight, but if I could tip trim a shaft in such small increments that I can change frequency by two or three cpm, wouldn't that make dialing in easier? I know that taper tip will inherently have a different feel than the "exact same" shaft in a parallel tip simply due to the thinner tip section and the greater taper rate, is that the only reason?

Just one of those things that you want to have an answer for when asked, but you never know if there is another reason out there. Thanks.

Thanks for the Q,

You may have asked this on twitter also? KBS is stiffer and more accurate than FST. FST is terrific for club makers needing an inexpensive, consistent shaft. KBS has heaver weight, tighter accuracy, and piercing trajectories.

If you like the FST Pro115, then I suggest sticking with that. The Hybrid in R flex will work well as that is designed to get the ball higher and more spin. You can also use the FST Pro 115 in the hybrid, just trim to a 2i length approx.

Thanks,

CM

A question for KBS.

I am currently playing FST Pro115 R shafts in my irons and am in the process of getting some hybrids custom made but I'm tossing up getting the same shafts as my irons or going with the KBS Hybrid shafts in an R flex.

Convince me why I should go with the KBS over the FST please?

Matt

Hey MGS members! We have had a lot of news this week and wanted to run this by you all.

We just unveiled the official KBS Web Store. Check it out here! KBSGolfShafts.com/shop

Order direct from KBS, and check out the exclusive new accessories we are offering!

Happy shopping!

CM

Cheers to you all for making those bags available. One shall be mine.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived