PGA Tour 2023 - Travelers Championship

Splatt

G’day Golfers,

I don’t know about you, but I’m still reeling from the US Open last week. It started with some record-breaking rounds from Rickie Fowler and Xander Schauffele and, as LACC firmed up over the course of the tournament, ended with even par rounds for the top 3 players in the field. It went right down to the wire with Wyndham Clark winning by 1 shot over Rory McIlroy.
That’s what I call a great golf tournament.

It feels like only a few weeks ago we were gearing up for the first major of the year and now we only have one left. How time flies.

Travellers1.webp.fa80a2d17ea0a2dcf14ac66e93b4b803.webp

This week we’re onto the Travellers Championship.
The Travellers has always done a great job at presenting opportunities to some of the game’s best-rising stars, but this year it is only elevated as it has designated event status.

Attendance is normally huge at the Traveller’s Championship, 2nd only to the WM Phoenix Open, so it will be a welcome change from the subdued atmosphere at the US Open last week.
An exciting atmosphere is one thing, but the Travellers have a habit of heading to a play-off with 5 of the last 12 years ending in an exhilarating play-off.

Last year, Xander Schauffele won by two shots over J.T. Poston and Sahith Theegala for his sixth PGA Tour title and second of the season. Schauffele opened with back-to-back rounds of 63 but got caught by the chasing pack heading into Sunday’s finale.
With Xander’ss record-setting opening round last week at the US Open, he definitely has some decent game he’s bringing to this title defence.

Travellers2.webp.de1f51390ad14081479632b2f0d46eb8.webp

The Travellers Championship is played at TPC River Highlands, a Par-70 6,852-yard course. This is one of the shortest courses on tour, but this hasn’t stopped the PGA Tour coming here for over 40 years. In fact, this is the course where Jim Furyk shot the PGA Tour’s lowest round of 58.

Field Highlights

·         Xander Schauffele – The defending champ and current world number 6. Xander Schauffele set a record open round last week at the US Open with an 8 under par. In his final round he putt his drive into the bunker and the first shot and it took him 3 shots to get out, it was painful to watch. But his mind is so strong it didn’t let him bother him and a few holes later he was back to sinking birdies.

·         Scottie Scheffler – Had another top-5 finish in a major last week, despite his putter not working as well as the rest of his game. Although, his putting was better last week than in recent weeks, so the rest of the field should be very worried if this trend continues.

·         Max Homa – His form has dipped as of late, even missing the cut at the US Open last week. However, he already has 2 wins on the board this season and is very capable of turning it around. The last time he played here was back in 2021 where he missed the cut. Lets hope we see some signs of life from Max this week, the golf is always more interesting when he’s in the mix.

·         Patrick Cantlay  - Cantlay always seems, it’s shocking to me that he hasn’t managed to win an event so far this season. He’s made all but 1 cut, had 1 runner up and 7 top-10 finishes. He generally plays well here, playing here 8 times and only missing the cut twice. The last 2 years he has finished 13th, so he’ll be looking to improve on that form this year. Mark my words, Cantlay will be in the winners circle soon.

·         Wyndham Clark – The winner of the US Open last week. Wyndham showed so much guts and determination last week during that final round that you would be forgiven in thinking he was a seasoned winner on the PGA Tour and it was just a regular day at the office for him. However, he has only won twice in his career and both came this season; his first win was 4 weeks ago at the Wells Fargo and then his second win last week. The floodgates are open and Wyndham is here. It’ll be interesting to see how he fairs this week.

You can find the rest of the field here.

Travellers3.jpeg.f4351fbc22a63d57c8d33faedabff552.jpeg

Golfers, that’s it from me.
If you’re involved with the MGS Pick’EM tournament then make sure you have got your picks in.

SPLATT

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

About a half hour from my house, wish I could go but unfortunately working.  

Looks like the weather may be a factor this weekend, at least a possibility of rain every day

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid 17.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood 24*

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 60*, SM8 54*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

Lets go Scottie!

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

19 hours ago, Splatt said:

G’day Golfers,

I don’t know about you, but I’m still reeling from the US Open last week. It started with some record-breaking rounds from Rickie Fowler and Xander Schauffele and, as LACC firmed up over the course of the tournament, ended with even par rounds for the top 3 players in the field. It went right down to the wire with Wyndham Clark winning by 1 shot over Rory McIlroy.
That’s what I call a great golf tournament.

It feels like only a few weeks ago we were gearing up for the first major of the year and now we only have one left. How time flies.

Travellers1.webp.fa80a2d17ea0a2dcf14ac66e93b4b803.webp

This week we’re onto the Travellers Championship.
The Travellers has always done a great job at presenting opportunities to some of the game’s best-rising stars, but this year it is only elevated as it has designated event status.

Attendance is normally huge at the Traveller’s Championship, 2nd only to the WM Phoenix Open, so it will be a welcome change from the subdued atmosphere at the US Open last week.
An exciting atmosphere is one thing, but the Travellers have a habit of heading to a play-off with 5 of the last 12 years ending in an exhilarating play-off.

Last year, Xander Schauffele won by two shots over J.T. Poston and Sahith Theegala for his sixth PGA Tour title and second of the season. Schauffele opened with back-to-back rounds of 63 but got caught by the chasing pack heading into Sunday’s finale.
With Xander’ss record-setting opening round last week at the US Open, he definitely has some decent game he’s bringing to this title defence.

Travellers2.webp.de1f51390ad14081479632b2f0d46eb8.webp

The Travellers Championship is played at TPC River Highlands, a Par-70 6,852-yard course. This is one of the shortest courses on tour, but this hasn’t stopped the PGA Tour coming here for over 40 years. In fact, this is the course where Jim Furyk shot the PGA Tour’s lowest round of 58.

Field Highlights

·         Xander Schauffele – The defending champ and current world number 6. Xander Schauffele set a record open round last week at the US Open with an 8 under par. In his final round he putt his drive into the bunker and the first shot and it took him 3 shots to get out, it was painful to watch. But his mind is so strong it didn’t let him bother him and a few holes later he was back to sinking birdies.

·         Scottie Scheffler – Had another top-5 finish in a major last week, despite his putter not working as well as the rest of his game. Although, his putting was better last week than in recent weeks, so the rest of the field should be very worried if this trend continues.

·         Max Homa – His form has dipped as of late, even missing the cut at the US Open last week. However, he already has 2 wins on the board this season and is very capable of turning it around. The last time he played here was back in 2021 where he missed the cut. Lets hope we see some signs of life from Max this week, the golf is always more interesting when he’s in the mix.

·         Patrick Cantlay  - Cantlay always seems, it’s shocking to me that he hasn’t managed to win an event so far this season. He’s made all but 1 cut, had 1 runner up and 7 top-10 finishes. He generally plays well here, playing here 8 times and only missing the cut twice. The last 2 years he has finished 13th, so he’ll be looking to improve on that form this year. Mark my words, Cantlay will be in the winners circle soon.

·         Wyndham Clark – The winner of the US Open last week. Wyndham showed so much guts and determination last week during that final round that you would be forgiven in thinking he was a seasoned winner on the PGA Tour and it was just a regular day at the office for him. However, he has only won twice in his career and both came this season; his first win was 4 weeks ago at the Wells Fargo and then his second win last week. The floodgates are open and Wyndham is here. It’ll be interesting to see how he fairs this week.

You can find the rest of the field here.

Travellers3.jpeg.f4351fbc22a63d57c8d33faedabff552.jpeg

Golfers, that’s it from me.
If you’re involved with the MGS Pick’EM tournament then make sure you have got your picks in.

SPLATT

Yea my favorite non Major Tournament!!  Played there often with my Buddy who lived on the 9th hole.  Also volunteered at the Tournament every year, it was a blast.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I think that a lot of viewers were hoping that Rickie would win. Certainly, Rory made it exciting the last day. But, it was hard not to be glad for Clark’s win. My wife even enjoyed watching the finishing 9 holes. I noticed that there are not many former LIV players in the Travelers this week. Is there still a restriction on them playing regular PGA tourneys? Cheers.

P.A. Renaud - Driver - Mizuno STX 230 

Irons - Taylormade Stealth 5 to Sand wedge

Putter - Taylormade Spider GTX

70 years old - disabled due to accident in Albania during 30 years service in Canadian Army.

Donator/Veteran

Broken 80 several times

22 minutes ago, P.A. Renaud said:

I noticed that there are not many former LIV players in the Travelers this week. Is there still a restriction on them playing regular PGA tourneys? Cheers.

Not to get on the topic of LIV, but at this point there has only been an announcement of a PGA Tour and PIF partnership.  Currently LIV is still separate and there has been no information on if or when they can rejoin the PGA Tour.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to PGA Tour 2023 - Travelers Championship

Really happy to see Keegan get the win.  It was clear from the post round interviews that this one really meant a lot to him.  I did notice that his club twirls are not always consistent; sometimes 3, sometimes 4 😁.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

33 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Really happy to see Keegan get the win.  It was clear from the post round interviews that this one really meant a lot to him.  I did notice that his club twirls are not always consistent; sometimes 3, sometimes 4 😁.

A big important win for Keegan.  Happy for him and his family.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I am not a big Keegan fan, but a good win for him. Can't say I watched any, but was kinda in awe of the scores this week. Both the low ones and the guys shooting over par when it seemed the course was that getable. 

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

I didn't  get to watch much either. I spent the whole weekend scouring golf shops for an Odyssey '13 versa jailbird with microhinge insert.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

On 6/23/2023 at 11:45 AM, cnosil said:

Not to get on the topic of LIV, but at this point there has only been an announcement of a PGA Tour and PIF partnership.  Currently LIV is still separate and there has been no information on if or when they can rejoin the PGA Tour.   

Monahan is laid up after having surgery for a weak spine. Rory will be speaking for him later this week. 😀

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Happy for Bradley! Been a bit since he won one. Loved the low scores made for an entertaining watch. Not sure I agree with some of the pro's complaining about it though...

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

2 hours ago, Bosox04 said:

Love to see a fellow Red Sox fan win in New England!i

Keegan’s wife is Carlton Fisk’s niece.  How NE can you get.

Rick

Left Hand,