Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge preference & loft gaps

Last year I switched from Vokey wedges to the Taylormade MG3's & MG2's, just wondering what others thought about the differences with other brands & what would the proper loft gaps be? I guess I figure about 4degrees between them? lmk

Love the game, try to get out a couple times a week. Been at it for about 25yrs...still waiting to get better

On 7/13/2023 at 7:01 PM, Heater said:

Last year I switched from Vokey wedges to the Taylormade MG3's & MG2's, just wondering what others thought about the differences with other brands & what would the proper loft gaps be? I guess I figure about 4degrees between them? lmk

I think 4° is fine, can get the wedges so places more or less loft anyway, I think 2° difference is not going to be the effort. 
6° is the maximum anyway I think. Difference in wedges, I have 3 different RTX5 58° with bounce of 6°, Wilson 54° bounce 11°, CBX2 48° bounce 9°, Wilson D9 42° and yet all feel different. I still have RTX5 62° with bounce of 6°and CBX2 58° bounce 10°, but I don't use the last 2. For CBX2 58° the RTX5 58° replaced it, the 62° was a very good price. The RTX5 58° gave me a better feel than the CBX2 58° and with Low bounce is better for me game and on terrain where I play.The 54° I actually only use in the Bunker sometimes is for shots from 50-75m. 48° use for shots less than 100m, 42° is my P-wedge I use around the green and shots from 100 to 110metres, it is of course better to have all the same ones due to circumstance it didn't come of it especially financially, If I see a good € for the Cleveland RTX 6 54° low+ 8° think my wilson 54° will go out.
Greetings
Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

4-6° gap is normal, but it’s not about the loft on the wedge as much as it is the distance.

Somewhere in the range of 12-16 yards is what’s suggested for wedges. Whatever loft numbers get that is what one would need. It may require bending wedges either strong or weak depending on what one wants to happen to then bounce 

The MG2 and MG3 wedges are the second best wedges on the market after the vokeys imo

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have been playing Vokey's for many years now and was fitted about a year ago.  My wedges are 4 deg apart and that gives me 10 yards apart on a full swing. I have tried different Cleveland and Ping wedges over the years but stuck with Vokey. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I have four degrees separation between my Callaway Paradym X approach wedge and Edison gap wedge (46 to 50 degrees)  than five more degrees between my Edison sand and lob wedges (55 and 60).  The gapping seems to work with me.  I love the Edison wedges.  They have made a major improvement to my game.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

The PW in my Apex MB 18's is lofted at 46°, so I have a 50° Vokey SM-8 and 54° & 58° MG3's. I like the 4° of separation as the full shots go from 90 yds for the 58°, 105 yds for the 54°, 120 yds for the 50° and 135 for the PW

I briefly flirted with the idea of going 6° between and replacing the 50° and 54° with a 52°, thereby freeing up a spot at the top of the bag to help with my gapping up there, but most of the courses I play locally aren't long enough for it to make sense.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

12 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

The PW in my Apex MB 18's is lofted at 46°, so I have a 50° Vokey SM-8 and 54° & 58° MG3's. I like the 4° of separation as the full shots go from 90 yds for the 58°, 105 yds for the 54°, 120 yds for the 50° and 135 for the PW

I briefly flirted with the idea of going 6° between and replacing the 50° and 54° with a 52°, thereby freeing up a spot at the top of the bag to help with my gapping up there, but most of the courses I play locally aren't long enough for it to make sense.

It is all about finding what gaps you get with the clubs.   From what I have read and heard others comment is that when switching from set clubs to specialty clubs (9i to PW, PW to GW or GW to SW depending on where they stop their set) the gapping may not be a standard amount since specialty wedges typically launch higher and spin more.   

It all comes down to a player trying the clubs and seeing how they gap out. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Currently rocking a 52/56/60 degree wedge system. But find the distance gap from PW(46) to my 52 is noticeable on fuller swings. 
currently considering a switch to a 50/54/60 setup. As my 60 is predominantly used when needing that height and not so much as a stock distance club. 
Anyone else have a similar setup and has found any benefits?

Titleist TSR3 Driver

Ping G 3-wood 🚀

Ping G400 2-Hybrid

Mizuno MP-5 4-PW irons

Titleist Vokey SM6 wedges 52,56,60

On 7/18/2023 at 2:51 AM, Swalker said:

Currently rocking a 52/56/60 degree wedge system. But find the distance gap from PW(46) to my 52 is noticeable on fuller swings. 
currently considering a switch to a 50/54/60 setup. As my 60 is predominantly used when needing that height and not so much as a stock distance club. 
Anyone else have a similar setup and has found any benefits?

I'm in the same situation, Only difference is I have a UW that's part of my irons (Ping i210s) and have it in the bag sometimes, However then the gap from the UW (Which is a 50) to the 56 on full swings is noticeable. Thought about switching it up and adding 54/58 ping glides but caught in two minds. 

Considered dropping the 3 wood out an playing all 4 wedges 50/52/56/60. Don't really hit my 3 wood. 

Cobra King Speedzone (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 S Flex)

Sim Woods (Ventus Blue 6.0 S Flex)

Ping i210 irons (KBS Tour 120)

MG2 Wedges 52/56/60 (KBS C-Taper 120)

TM Spider GT Putter

2 Cobra, 2 Callaway 4° gap between them all.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18