Lie angle

Fyrmedic

Several years ago I was fitted for clubs “sort of” at one of the big box stores. I am not unhappy with my clubs, but I do know that lie angle was never measured or adjusted. So my question to the group is how important is having lie angle adjusted for your clubs and would it be worth going back to the store to have that measured?

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

You don’t need to go back to the store to get them checked, you can do it yourself with a sharpie or dry erase marker.

For everyone 1° lie angle is off that’s about 2-3 yards for ball being offline. For some they won’t notice anything and others they will. An example I can play Ping irons a 1° up to 1-2° with no issues

It can be very important.  I have my mizunos 2* flat from their stock lie angle.  

What does your ball flight tell you?  Do you have a tendency to miss to right or left 5 - 10 yards?  Can you feel the heel or toe catch turf regularly slightly turning the club?  Maybe there is one or two of your irons that do this and the others are fine?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’d definitely recommend getting them checked.  If it’s a question in your mind then from my experience, you won’t trust your swing until you know definitively if they’re helping or hindering your game.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 minutes ago, Fyrmedic said:

How do I use a sharpie to check lie angle?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, Fyrmedic said:

Several years ago I was fitted for clubs “sort of” at one of the big box stores. I am not unhappy with my clubs, but I do know that lie angle was never measured or adjusted. So my question to the group is how important is having lie angle adjusted for your clubs and would it be worth going back to the store to have that measured?

What is your typical shot shape on course? If it’s consistently missing one way or the other, it may be worth looking at. 

If you feel you have significant turf interaction with the heel or toe first, that would also be an indication it could be a tad bit off! 

:callaway-small:Driver: Ai SmokeTriple Diamond

:ping-small: G425 MAX 12* w/ 3 Wood shaft

:srixon-small: Utility 3 Iron

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:titleist-small:Wedges:  SM10 50* 54* F Grinds and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

For the last 40 plus years, I was always 2 degrees up.   As part of my Paradym X review, I got a fitting to ensure the correct specifications before the clubs were ordered.   After warming up and creating a baseline with my Ping G30's we dove into the Paradym X irons.  Given my anemic low 70's swing speed, we gravitated to Callaway's senior shaft option.  Then we worked on the lie.  They had a sticker with a protractor like graphic showing degrees up or down.  As suggested, the fitter "sharpied" the ball, placed ball with the line straight up and down and perpendicular to the club face.  After hitting it and looking at the graphic to my surprise, it said standard lie!  I didn't believe it, so I asked him to repeat it.  Again, standard lie!  I still questioned the results so I asked if we could create the same iron configuration, but this time two degrees up.  He did and we repeated our little experiment.  Sure enough, it came back that I needed to be two degrees flatter!  I gave up at that point.   I'm standard lie!  I'm standard lie!

Needless to say, I was shocked.  I had been lying to myself about my lie for so long, I found it hard to accept the truth.   So, validate your lie and stop lying to yourself like I did!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

For the last 40 plus years, I was always 2 degrees up.   As part of my Paradym X review, I got a fitting to ensure the correct specifications before the clubs were ordered.   After warming up and creating a baseline with my Ping G30's we dove into the Paradym X irons.  Given my anemic low 70's swing speed, we gravitated to Callaway's senior shaft option.  Then we worked on the lie.  They had a sticker with a protractor like graphic showing degrees up or down.  As suggested, the fitter "sharpied" the ball, placed ball with the line straight up and down and perpendicular to the club face.  After hitting it and looking at the graphic to my surprise, it said standard lie!  I didn't believe it, so I asked him to repeat it.  Again, standard lie!  I still questioned the results so I asked if we could create the same iron configuration, but this time two degrees up.  He did and we repeated our little experiment.  Sure enough, it came back that I needed to be two degrees flatter!  I gave up at that point.   I'm standard lie!  I'm standard lie!

Needless to say, I was shocked.  I had been lying to myself about my lie for so long, I found it hard to accept the truth.   So, validate your lie and stop lying to yourself like I did!

There’s no standard to lie, loft or length in the industry so playing 2° up in one set is only relevant to that set and the shaft combo you have in it.

droop and how you deliver the club into the hall are going to affect lie angle. And back in the day everyone used lie boards which aren’t very accurate and the sharpie test is the way the best on tour get fit. 

This is another example of why fittings are key because so many buy based on what they are used to and with no industry standards one could be setting themselves up for failure and lots of frustration even possibly sayin the club and or shaft doesn’t work for them when the whole time it’s a simple lie adjustment that’s the issue 

Keep in mind too that if you are fit for clubs and then try to self diagnose yourself with what your swing is doing could be more harmful then helpful. There’s a reason you were fit the way you were. It doesn’t usually change quick but over time it can change. 

i am a huge believer in fittings and definitely think they help a ton. But things do change over time. That affects that. My dad has a set that ,over time,  the lofts of his irons get weaker. So he has to take them in to get checked. 

if you hit a rock or abuse your clubs, that can definitely affect the lies of them and cause other problems down the road. 

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no standard to lie, loft or length in the industry so playing 2° up in one set is only relevant to that set and the shaft combo you have in it.

droop and how you deliver the club into the hall are going to affect lie angle. And back in the day everyone used lie boards which aren’t very accurate and the sharpie test is the way the best on tour get fit. 

This is another example of why fittings are key because so many buy based on what they are used to and with no industry standards one could be setting themselves up for failure and lots of frustration even possibly sayin the club and or shaft doesn’t work for them when the whole time it’s a simple lie adjustment that’s the issue 

My post was mostly tongue and cheek!   I was taking advantage of different meanings of "lie" and "lying" to myself and be a little funny that finally I was "standard" (even though as you said, there's really no standards today).  

Luckily, I did my homework on the specifications before I did the fitting.  The Paradym X 7 iron was already about a 0.6 degrees more upright than the standard Ping G30 lie.   Adding almost two degrees to the G30's due to the yellow dot and the Pings were about 1.1 degrees more upright than the Paradym X's. 

While I'm still working to correct some swing issues with the Paradym X irons, I do seem to hit them straighter than the Pings..

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie