Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What current club would you like to see discontinued?

• SPY VIP

The other thread about what people would like to see come back from the grave as a lot of interest, so I thought we could look at it from the other direction.

What, if any, club do you wish would go away and stay away?

I'll start. TM Spider. I know many people putt well with it but it bugs me. 1. Not enough metal. Putters should be metal, lots of metal. 2. adjustable weights. just another thing to worry if you have it right 3. awful looking square headcover. Easy to distinguish, but awful looking.

IMO, of course.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about equipment in general?

Rangefinders/distance measuring devices.

I actually have depth perception problems so I would actual benefit from them, but I would rather that the game go back to playing by feel (presuming the yardage markers are there and correct).

I have seen them help people and it has helped me on more than one occasion as well. It just makes me feel guilty knowing it is 143 to the pin that happens to be exactly my 8iron with a drop and stop finish.

• SPY VIP

How about equipment in general?

Rangefinders/distance measuring devices.

I actually have depth perception problems so I would actual benefit from them, but I would rather that the game go back to playing by feel (presuming the yardage markers are there and correct).

I have seen them help people and it has helped me on more than one occasion as well. It just makes me feel guilty knowing it is 143 to the pin that happens to be exactly my 8iron with a drop and stop finish.

Can we remove the caddy's notebook too? Would make the pros seem a bit more human when they misjudge a distance.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Cleveland Niblicks. Clearly the there's a market for them or they wouldn't exist, but man...just learn how to chip already (says the guy with a nasty case of wedge shanks). There's no reason to carry an 8-iron, AND a chipping club with the same loft as that 8-iron.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Let's get rid of any putter with holes in them that let you see the grass at address smiley_puke.gif

The Ping Doc is just one example of TOO many :)

ping_doc17_evolution.jpg

Are you throwing the whole new "holey" Ping iN line under the bus too?

http://www.ping.com/clubs/putters.aspx

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I was going to say square drivers (because they've spited me twice). I'll also second on chippers. And long putters.

Hey now...I own a belly putter (Bettinardi Big Ben). I put it in the back whenever the stroke with the smaller stick flakes out on me.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Are you throwing the whole new "holey" Ping iN line under the bus too?

http://www.ping.com/clubs/putters.aspx

Why would you knock this lineup? I put one of those suckers on my roof and my TV reception has never been better.

• SPY VIP

Hey now...I own a belly putter (Bettinardi Big Ben). I put it in the back whenever the stroke with the smaller stick flakes out on me.

I have that same putter for the same reason. Mine is the long, not belly though. If a broom was to find the bag, that would be it. Mine is the long, not belly though.

Don't tell Morris that the head has holes in it though (they are horizontal though so I think it may be a loophole in his edict)

Volvo Intorqueo

I was going to say square drivers (because they've spited me twice). I'll also second on chippers. And long putters.

I'll second the chippers and long putters. There is a long putter at a store near me (Taylor Made Spider) that isn't really long, it's 39 inches, similar to the length putter Cabrera used to win the '09 Masters. I think the uniform grip though is why I like it though more than the length. Next time I regrip my putter I want to try to build up the tap closer to the tip end.

Why would you knock this lineup? I put one of those suckers on my roof and my TV reception has never been better.

And that is why they should be banned. If the things they are best at the most (TV reception and potato mashing) are not golf related, I would ban them. To me, the new Ping iN's don't fall under this category, but they are close.

• SPY VIP

And that is why they should be banned. If the things they are best at the most (TV reception and potato mashing) are not golf related, I would ban them. To me, the new Ping iN's don't fall under this category, but they are close.

Seemingly very close to mash tool...

ping.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

I know it's been said but I'd like to see all the square drivers and niblicks gone. I don't mind crazy putters and hybrids but when it comes to drivers, irons, wedges I like the look to be simple and traditional shaped.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Seemingly very close to mash tool...

ping.jpg

Ugh, maybe they do all under the tater mashing category, I forgot about that one.

I just checked their website and there are 11 putters in the iN line. The Anser V2 is ok, not really masher-esque, so I'll give it a pass. The rest, not so much.

• SPY VIP

Ugh, maybe they do all under the tater mashing category, I forgot about that one.

I just checked their website and there are 11 putters in the iN line. The Anser V2 is ok, not really masher-esque, so I'll give it a pass. The rest, not so much.

OK, the Anser V2 may get a pass as a masher, but it could maybe cut a couple of fires.

ping iN.jpg

For reference:

masher.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

I would love to see Taylor Made come up with some new names. Burner is a bit Burned out....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I would love to see Taylor Made come up with some new names. Burner is a bit Burned out....

Not to mention that it is a recycled name, it was introduced in the '90s. I have a bubble shafted driver, and it bears no resemblance to the current day one.

I'll second the chippers and long putters. There is a long putter at a store near me (Taylor Made Spider) that isn't really long, it's 39 inches, similar to the length putter Cabrera used to win the '09 Masters. I think the uniform grip though is why I like it though more than the length. Next time I regrip my putter I want to try to build up the tap closer to the tip end.

I think at this point you are thirding those items. :D

Despite my list of objections, I'm not onboard with hating hole-y clubs. I think there are very few truly new putter ideas as it is, I wouldn't want to take that option away from designers.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Nic, you try coming up with a name for a new club every 6 weeks.

I suppose I could keep calling it the same thing every time...

From my side of the counter, When a customer says "I want a Burner" I have to into the littany of Burner products, Not only ,Driver, Fairway, Hybrid, Iron, Ball, But also model year, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010..... It gets a little old.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Made you a re-naming the burner thread Nic. :)

Gee... Thanks... i should have fun with this.

Archived